Farsley coverage

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlosince65
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Farsley coverage

Post by darlosince65 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm

Darlington under AA have always played their best football and won their most games with a solid and mobile 3 in midfield, a relatively mobile back 4 and a mobile front 3.
The team playing this season have not consistently had anyway near this solidity, mobility or formation.
Best team performances for me under AA's management
came from a starting 11 of :-
GK : Pears
Defence :Hedley, Storey, Galbraith, Liddle
Midfield : Wheatley, Hatfield, Holness.
Attack : Campbell, O'Neil, Donowa.
Subs : Rivers, Reid, Laing, Atkinson.

Unfortunately 11 games into our league season it is obvious we have not strengthened or improved the team in defence or attack or even added quality to our central midfield 3 to that named 11. Numbers yes quality definitely no.

Darlogramps

Farsley coverage

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:01 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am
divas wrote:I always find it interesting how much better a player supposedly becomes when they’re not being selected in a losing team
Exactly this.

Some of the people advocating Atkinson now will have been the same people slaughtering him post-Bristol Rovers, for instance.
Difference is he would be playing in his strongest position as a defensive midfielder not a central defender.
Yet in the handful of games before that match, there was a consensus he’d played pretty well at centre back.

The criticism from some on here of him up to that point (when he was used as a midfielder) was he didn’t offer enough in terms of mobility or creativity. So it’s fair to say there’s doubt as to whether defensive midfield is his best position.

Now all of a sudden he should be tried again and would be the answer to our problems.

Same goes for the suggestions we need to bring in O’Neill, despite him offering very little so far.

Divas’ is right in that players who aren’t playing are automatically thought of as being better simply because they’re not in the team.
So what do we do persist with a system that isn’t working?
Where did I say that? I’m not even talking about systems.

All I’m saying is I find it strange people can criticise a player one minute, then call for him back in the next. Fans should be less fickle, is my point (not aiming that any individual fans, before people get themselves wound up).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm

The whole point of bringing in Atkinson or Holness would be to change the system to 3 in midfield from the 4 4 2 formation. I think this is the principle reason why some are calling for changes in personnel.
Sometimes I don’t know whether you are a bit slow on the uptake or just deliberately argumentative. The latter I suspect more likely.

Darlogramps

Farsley coverage

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Old Git wrote:The whole point of bringing in Atkinson or Holness would be to change the system to 3 in midfield from the 4 4 2 formation. I think this is the principle reason why some are calling for changes in personnel.
Sometimes I don’t know whether you are a bit slow on the uptake or just deliberately argumentative. The latter I suspect more likely.
Stop being a dick. For some reason you’re spoiling for a fight when I’m trying to have a reasonable discussion. Maybe you’re in a bad mood because Mrs Old Git has banned the booze in January.

My point is the same people who were critical of Atkinson just a few weeks ago can’t now be saying he’s the right man to bring into the side. That’s directly contradictory, regardless of which system we play.

I’m not actually arguing against you on anything. Just saying I find it weird people can go from slaughtering a player, to then saying we should alter our entire system to accommodate him.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 pm

darlosince65 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm
Darlington under AA have always played their best football and won their most games with a solid and mobile 3 in midfield, a relatively mobile back 4 and a mobile front 3.
The team playing this season have not consistently had anyway near this solidity, mobility or formation.
Best team performances for me under AA's management
came from a starting 11 of :-
GK : Pears
Defence :Hedley, Storey, Galbraith, Liddle
Midfield : Wheatley, Hatfield, Holness.
Attack : Campbell, O'Neil, Donowa.
Subs : Rivers, Reid, Laing, Atkinson.

Unfortunately 11 games into our league season it is obvious we have not strengthened or improved the team in defence or attack or even added quality to our central midfield 3 to that named 11. Numbers yes quality definitely no.
Pears has never played in an AA team.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Atkinson is supposed to be a player who can play in defence or midfield. In truth we have seen little of him in his 18 months at the club. His performance in defence at Bristol Rovers was poor but I am surprised he has hardly been used in midfield given the absence of Holness and Hedley through injury. Especially so as we appear to be struggling with the current system of only 2 central midfielders.
Mrs Old Git has prescribed a bottle of Chardonnay each day for me increasing to 2 bottles on a match day. It doesn’t help much with the football but it stops me getting too frisky after the game.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm

old git and darlogramps just set up your own whats app argument page please before you cause everyone to loose interest don't reply unless about Farsley game please

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:old git and darlogramps just set up your own whats app argument page please before you cause everyone to loose interest don't reply unless about Farsley game please
The discussion is on the Farsley game.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:00 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm
old git and darlogramps just set up your own whats app argument page please before you cause everyone to loose interest don't reply unless about Farsley game please
Thanks eddie for once you have managed to make me agree with Gramps.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:33 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:39 pm
Mrs Old Git has prescribed a bottle of Chardonnay each day for me increasing to 2 bottles on a match day. It doesn’t help much with the football but it stops me getting too frisky after the game.
OOOOOHHHHH MATRON :D :D
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!