Home Kit Vote

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Home Kit Vote

Post by JE93 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Next seasons Home kit vote is now live for Your Club members:

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/vote-fo ... 2-home-kit

JE93

Re: Home Kit Vote

Post by JE93 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Options 1 and 4 for me in the semi finals.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:20 pm

I normally sort of go, ah, it's just a kit, I'll wear whatever, but honestly if option 2 is chosen I will stop supporting darlo for good and demand the club reimburse me for all previous money spent. What an abomination.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:29 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:20 pm
I normally sort of go, ah, it's just a kit, I'll wear whatever, but honestly if option 2 is chosen I will stop supporting darlo for good and demand the club reimburse me for all previous money spent. What an abomination.
All four are horrific- they must have shown options when tendering for the contract.

Darlogramps

Home Kit Vote

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:33 pm

This is a clear attempt at stacking the vote to get the result the club wants. We know the club management want a move away from hoops to get money from sales, but the younger fans see hoops as the identity.

So they put in a terrible hoops option and limit it to YOURCLUB members (who are likely to be older).

Can understand why they’re doing it, but it doesn’t sit right with me.

Anyone who picks option 2 needs to be locked up; you’re a danger to society. Option 3 is the best of them.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:33 pm
This is a clear attempt at stacking the vote to get the result the club wants. We know the club management want a move away from hoops to get money from sales, but the younger fans see hoops as the identity.

So they put in a terrible hoops option and limit it to YOURCLUB members (who are likely to be older).

Can understand why they’re doing it, but it doesn’t sit right with me.

Anyone who picks option 2 needs to be locked up; you’re a danger to society. Option 3 is the best of them.
Club get so much right but getting these clowns to do the kits.....

Online responses says it all really

Darlopj

Post by Darlopj » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:40 pm

1 & 2 are awful.

4 is a bit, well I don't know. It might grow on me.

I actually like 3.

Tin hat on but I've never liked hoops. Particularly hooped socks.

Bit too rugby for my liking.

I think Gramps is right though. It does look a bit loaded.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 pm

Not voting as all horrible especially 2

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 pm

I think Cardiff City playing in red was less of a disaster than any of these.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:39 pm

I like them all. Really.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:40 pm

1 and 4 are ok. I prefer 1 initially but actually I think 4 is smart.

Not a fan of 3 it just feels like a very basic template.

2 is up there with the worst things I've seen on the internet.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:49 pm

3 is the only decent option and it’s time (actually it was ages ago) that we try something else other than hoops.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:54 pm

1 & 3 for me.

I am definitely not wedded to the “hoops are our traditional kit” ideology and if we are looking for a throwback to our other “traditional” strip ie a white shirt with possible black highlights (collar and cuffs in the past) I think the Spanish Futsol top with white replacing red and black replacing yellow would have been much better than option 4 which seems to be a nod to the historical all white top.

https://www.joma-sport.com/en/spanish-n ... utsal-team

Looking at what we are given only option 2 is completely ridiculous to my eyes but I really don’t think it will win so am not going to get wound up over that. It sort of looks as though we are trying to sell a top to golfers to me with a slightly Pringle air about it.

Having said all of that we have had tops in the past which would never have passed the “We Play in Hoops it’s our tradition “ test, or any other for that matter, but I still remember some of them with affection.

I am for example still happy with my “Brasso” top and was fine with its unique look at the time we had it. It definitely does not and did not at the time however fit with ant “tradition” other than it is predominantly black and white.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Any not “ant” !

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:15 pm

Not keen on any of them tbh

Darlogramps

Home Kit Vote

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 pm

comeondarlo wrote:3 is the only decent option and it’s time (actually it was ages ago) that we try something else other than hoops.
Why is it time to move on from hoops? If a majority of the fanbase prefer them (and they do as hoops has won every vote for years) and see them as our identity, why should it be abandoned?

And particularly as the only way to do that seems to be to stack the vote and disenfranchise a portion of the electorate, for want of a better phrase.

Not looking to start an argument, it’s a genuine question.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 pm

I don’t think it’s time to move on from hoops forever, but if home shirt sales are falling, then commercially it’s reasonable to have a break for one year. I actually like 3, but if we were going to do something different I would have gone with quarters which we have played in before, or maybe just something really simple like a plain white shirt with some black trim (I’d have suggested red like the late 70s shirts, but realise that may not have gone down too well).

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 pm
comeondarlo wrote:3 is the only decent option and it’s time (actually it was ages ago) that we try something else other than hoops.
Why is it time to move on from hoops? If a majority of the fanbase prefer them (and they do as hoops has won every vote for years) and see them as our identity, why should it be abandoned?

And particularly as the only way to do that seems to be to stack the vote and disenfranchise a portion of the electorate, for want of a better phrase.

“Not looking to start an argument”.......lol

The genuine answer............For a change.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 pm

Option 2 is horrendous and looks like something the Bay City Rollers would have worn on stage circa 1974.

Whoever designed it should be forced to listen to a Bay City Roller greatest hits record for 24 hours solid then thrown into a canal.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Home Kit Vote

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:50 pm

comeondarlo wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 pm

“Not looking to start an argument”.......lol

The genuine answer............For a change.
Why do we need to change? Is there anything wrong hoops being part of who we are as a club?

I know hoops haven’t always been our traditional kit, but new traditions can be formed, particularly if that’s what the majority of fans want.

I understand the commercial argument but our home kits are part of who we are as a club. I’d like to think there are greater considerations than just money when it comes to this.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:58 am

Gramps, I realise you're not trying to create an argument, just stimulate a bit of debate. With that it mind and I know you don't particularly like these, but hypothetical question. if there was an increase in sales of a non hooped shirt and that allowed us to bring in a new player, would sentiment for hoops be put to one side?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:40 am

Option 1 and 3. Not keen on 4 and 2 is just wrong... except maybe if we were north of the border!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:20 am

Well they are all pretty poor but who on earth thought no 2 should even be a contender. If I had to choose one it would be no 3, but at a push.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 am

1 is hoops so into the final.
2. WTF?
3 is like a black and white Motherwell top from the 70/80's,
4 is different, but may grow on people.

Not overly excited by any but if I do decide to vote it would be probably for either 3 or 4.

To be honest I'm more interested in the away shirt looking at these!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:35 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:Gramps, I realise you're not trying to create an argument, just stimulate a bit of debate. With that it mind and I know you don't particularly like these, but hypothetical question. if there was an increase in sales of a non hooped shirt and that allowed us to bring in a new player, would sentiment for hoops be put to one side?
Not particularly. As I said, this is a question of identity and there are greater considerations than money in my view. However I would be interested to know the sales figures to see exactly how much of a money spinner they are. For all we know, there are people who won’t buy it if it’s not hoops.

I’m a younger fan but have supported Darlo for more than 20 years. I don’t like the fact we flitted between designs for the bulk of our existence (periods of hoops and then plain white, or white and black designs). I like the idea we’ve settled on hoops as a statement of who we are. As I say, new traditions can be formed.

To say, “it’s time for a change” annoys me. Not in my view. Liverpool don’t say: “We’ll try red and white stripes for a change” because it’s who they are.

I like the idea of black and white hoops being “us” and it disappoints me the club have made it so clear they want to move away from that for a short term commercial hit. And I do believe they’re trying to load the vote this time out.

Also, thank you for engaging in the discussion rather than aiming for a points-scoring slanging match.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:37 am

wasn't last seasons winner put up against a hoops shirt and thrashed out of sight? looks like we might be going down that road again. all four contenders this season are a joke!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 am

I would suggest the club are trying to encourage people to become owners, which at something like £2 a month is next to nowt. Gramps has made a fair point that the majority might want hoops, but the majority might not.

What I do know is that you can't please everyone. Seen a few negative opinions (which I've found some people complain for the sake of it), some positive

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:10 am

Other than 2, I quite like the options. Would probably buy any of the other 3, whereas another 'normal' hooped shirt I probably wouldn't.

I just hope we get a chance to see the kit in real life!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 am

Com,on lads and lasses, we are fan owned as such have to create revenue streams where and when we can ,I under a lot of fans won't buy the hoops year on year because of similarities,
So to keep the shirt revenue going a change of some degree is necessary, you can't please everyone but at least the fans owners are being given a chance to vote for one of 4 , The revenue generated helps to keep the club sustainable as all revenues do, please open your mind to something a little different, I personally like option 1 it's difficult but slightly linked to hoops..
Other than that 4 is totally ddifferent.2 checks no for me as is 3 really looks like something you get from sports direct cheap rubbish. Just my opinions anyway, we all have a chance to change it's upto you the fan owners. Get voting.
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 am

norwich darlo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:37 am
wasn't last seasons winner put up against a hoops shirt and thrashed out of sight? looks like we might be going down that road again. all four contenders this season are a joke!
No, it was actually a fairly marginal victory in the end by around 5% difference.