F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DARLODAH
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by DARLODAH » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:01 pm

Is this game going to be played, or is it part of the NLN cessation?

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:09 pm

The game is not part of the NLN pause so it may or may not be played.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13161
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by divas » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:33 pm

Unless the whole national league shuts down then I expect the FA trophy will continue to its conclusion. As has been the norm so far this season teams from leagues that have been suspended will continue until they’re knocked out. I suppose if a club wanted to forfeit the game they could but I can’t see us doing that as worse case scenario there’s prize money to be had.

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:36 pm

Presumably we would still get the loser's money if we withdrew. Might be financially the best move as then we wouldn't have to pay our half of the home and away costs although we wouldn't get our half of QTV monies.

Old Git
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:41 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:36 pm
Presumably we would still get the loser's money if we withdrew. Might be financially the best move as then we wouldn't have to pay our half of the home and away costs although we wouldn't get our half of QTV monies.
Not sure that we would still be entitled to any money if we withdrew. Surely without proper testing in place it would not be appropriate for us to carry on.

jjljks
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 pm

We should be ready to play & if Wealdstone don't fancy it, they can forfeit. OK we will be ring-rusty & if the pitch is fit, I would rather give the lads their chance than just let Wealdstone pick up the prize. They may not think it will be worth the long trip & testing etc. Am sure we could get the team tested ahead of the game.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13161
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by divas » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:19 pm

jjljks wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 pm
We should be ready to play & if Wealdstone don't fancy it, they can forfeit. OK we will be ring-rusty & if the pitch is fit, I would rather give the lads their chance than just let Wealdstone pick up the prize. They may not think it will be worth the long trip & testing etc. Am sure we could get the team tested ahead of the game.
There’s nothing stopping them attending any of the community testing facilities that have been set up, although they’re not “gold standard” it would be better than nothing

Old Git
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:21 pm

jjljks wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 pm
We should be ready to play & if Wealdstone don't fancy it, they can forfeit. OK we will be ring-rusty & if the pitch is fit, I would rather give the lads their chance than just let Wealdstone pick up the prize. They may not think it will be worth the long trip & testing etc. Am sure we could get the team tested ahead of the game.
Not aware of any evidence to suggest Wealdstone would not fancy it. If we did play the game and won then what happens? If we want to carry on in the Trophy presumably we could not furlough the players so do we have to continue paying players wages? Many issues need to be considered before a decision can be made about our continued participation in the competition.
It may even be that the FA could decide that if NLN and NLS teams decide to cancel the league season then they are also calling time on their Trophy participation and give byes to NL teams due to play lower ranked teams. I know that up to now teams have been allowed to continue to play cup matches even when their league games have been suspended. This situation is slightly different as the NLN and NLS have themselves requested to pause/end the season.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm

The scheduled FA Trophy match is an interesting one. We have been quite vocal in our plea for testing at this level and called for an immediate suspension until this issue, along with adequate funding, is sorted.

Covid-19 doesn't discriminate between a National League North match or an FA Trophy tie. Playing the match without having testing in place would be hypocritical.

I disagree regarding the community testing facilities. The press love a good anti-footballer news story. They'll spin it as footballers/coaching staff taking away valuable testing kits from hard-working key workers.

We would be better off purchasing, and administering, our own testing kits and carrying these out prior to the match on a one-off basis.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:13 pm

I have a little chuckle when I think about the National league actually doing something constructive and I I would love to get a peek inside their office.

I imagine it to look similar to the inside of a 70s/80s secondary school janitors room. Mops and buckets all over, a couple of crusty coats hung over a wooden coat stand, black and white framed photographs of Keegan and Channon hung on the wall out of level, piles of dusty papers abandoned in untidy heaps strewn all over, a rusty old overflowing filing cabinet with it’s drawers stuck open, two tatty chairs, cobwebs on the window, a floor safe with a broken leg containing £62.50 and a box of Golden Wonder cheese and onion crisps - that sort of thing.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm
The scheduled FA Trophy match is an interesting one. We have been quite vocal in our plea for testing at this level and called for an immediate suspension until this issue, along with adequate funding, is sorted.

Covid-19 doesn't discriminate between a National League North match or an FA Trophy tie. Playing the match without having testing in place would be hypocritical.

I disagree regarding the community testing facilities. The press love a good anti-footballer news story. They'll spin it as footballers/coaching staff taking away valuable testing kits from hard-working key workers.

We would be better off purchasing, and administering, our own testing kits and carrying these out prior to the match on a one-off basis.
Or as a good will gesture Boro donate us enough tests to see us through this match, good bit of PR for them and a great help to us 👍

Darlofan97
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:21 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm
The scheduled FA Trophy match is an interesting one. We have been quite vocal in our plea for testing at this level and called for an immediate suspension until this issue, along with adequate funding, is sorted.

Covid-19 doesn't discriminate between a National League North match or an FA Trophy tie. Playing the match without having testing in place would be hypocritical.

I disagree regarding the community testing facilities. The press love a good anti-footballer news story. They'll spin it as footballers/coaching staff taking away valuable testing kits from hard-working key workers.

We would be better off purchasing, and administering, our own testing kits and carrying these out prior to the match on a one-off basis.
Or as a good will gesture Boro donate us enough tests to see us through this match, good bit of PR for them and a great help to us 👍
I would like to think they would if they had the capacity to do so. However, I imagine with the PFA funding them they’ll only provide the number of tests required twice per week rather than additional tests.

Emdubya
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Emdubya » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm
The scheduled FA Trophy match is an interesting one. We have been quite vocal in our plea for testing at this level and called for an immediate suspension until this issue, along with adequate funding, is sorted.

Covid-19 doesn't discriminate between a National League North match or an FA Trophy tie. Playing the match without having testing in place would be hypocritical.

I disagree regarding the community testing facilities. The press love a good anti-footballer news story. They'll spin it as footballers/coaching staff taking away valuable testing kits from hard-working key workers.

We would be better off purchasing, and administering, our own testing kits and carrying these out prior to the match on a one-off basis.
And I disagree with you regarding community testing.My wife and I went for a test a couple of weeks ago and the staff ,I reckon around 20 of them,were sitting twiddling their thumbs waiting for punters to turn up,so it would hardly be I taking away tests from anyone if our players took advantage of it.And,by the way ,these tests are available for anyone.
Good idea from Divas I reckon.

lo36789
Posts: 9240
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Was about to say the community testing centres are for anybody to use and are encouraged to do so - at least they are this way I've been getting tested at least once a week for the past couple of months.

H1987
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm

Bit of a shambles isn't it? At this stage, you have to assume it's happening.

My opinion
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by My opinion » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm

Oh dear, there you go again.

It is happening. But, if people don;t go there then there is no one to test.
Not rocket science is it.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:03 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm
The scheduled FA Trophy match is an interesting one. We have been quite vocal in our plea for testing at this level and called for an immediate suspension until this issue, along with adequate funding, is sorted.

Covid-19 doesn't discriminate between a National League North match or an FA Trophy tie. Playing the match without having testing in place would be hypocritical.

I disagree regarding the community testing facilities. The press love a good anti-footballer news story. They'll spin it as footballers/coaching staff taking away valuable testing kits from hard-working key workers.

We would be better off purchasing, and administering, our own testing kits and carrying these out prior to the match on a one-off basis.
And I disagree with you regarding community testing.My wife and I went for a test a couple of weeks ago and the staff ,I reckon around 20 of them,were sitting twiddling their thumbs waiting for punters to turn up,so it would hardly be I taking away tests from anyone if our players took advantage of it.And,by the way ,these tests are available for anyone.
Good idea from Divas I reckon.
Then why aren't other National League clubs using this service?

If the tests are available to anyone, then why don’t we have the 66 National League clubs access the community testing programme twice a week until the end of May?

The community testing programme is focused on "critical local services & hard to reach communities".

Ultimately, it's up to the club. For me, it's a bit of a risk, but that is just my opinion.

shildonlad
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:13 pm
I have a little chuckle when I think about the National league actually doing something constructive and I I would love to get a peek inside their office.

I imagine it to look similar to the inside of a 70s/80s secondary school janitors room. Mops and buckets all over, a couple of crusty coats hung over a wooden coat stand, black and white framed photographs of Keegan and Channon hung on the wall out of level, piles of dusty papers abandoned in untidy heaps strewn all over, a rusty old overflowing filing cabinet with it’s drawers stuck open, two tatty chairs, cobwebs on the window, a floor safe with a broken leg containing £62.50 and a box of Golden Wonder cheese and onion crisps - that sort of thing.
Ha ha wont even be that good
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

EDJOHNS
Posts: 896
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:37 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:13 pm
I have a little chuckle when I think about the National league actually doing something constructive and I I would love to get a peek inside their office.

I imagine it to look similar to the inside of a 70s/80s secondary school janitors room. Mops and buckets all over, a couple of crusty coats hung over a wooden coat stand, black and white framed photographs of Keegan and Channon hung on the wall out of level, piles of dusty papers abandoned in untidy heaps strewn all over, a rusty old overflowing filing cabinet with it’s drawers stuck open, two tatty chairs, cobwebs on the window, a floor safe with a broken leg containing £62.50 and a box of Golden Wonder cheese and onion crisps - that sort of thing.
1 of my big "No-no's"

Never, ever hang pictures "level"

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 am

Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

onewayup
Posts: 2078
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:00 am

The community testing at blackwell was used twice by my wife and I on instruction from the doctors , both times very quick and helpful efficient volunteer staff, resulting in result retuned by text 24hrs later, :thumbup: if you need to go there go better safe than sorry,

ralphb
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by ralphb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:31 pm

Darlington Community testing is at a number of site, my wife and I go to the 'Head of Steam' once a eek, result in 30 min. Book on Line no problem

jjljks
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:05 pm

Wealdstone match postponed today, so perhaps not as match fit as they should have been?

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Winnable game this, 2nd worst defensive record in the league with 39 goals conceded so all to play for.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darlobaz791
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:45 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:05 pm
Wealdstone match postponed today, so perhaps not as match fit as they should have been?
They’ve a home game on Tuesday night

johnac52
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:00 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by johnac52 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:30 am

Can anyone say definitely whether the cup game is going ahead on Saturday (weather permitting)? I've got serious withdrawal symptoms and am looking forward to buying my pass, throwing a few quid at the 50/50 in the expectation of winning £1,000+, and then finding out who we've drawn in the next round.
As a simple soul, I admit to being bogged down and confused by the various recommendations, proposals, grants, loans, and votes going on in the league; has anyone produced a Dummy's Guide to what's happening?
Any, uncomplicated, information re Saturday would be muchly appreciated. Cheers. Come On the lads!

LoidLucan
Posts: 3451
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Looks like we intend to play and Wealdstone also so the only thing that could stand in the way now would be a plague, snow or a great flood... oh, hang on a minute :silent:

poppyfield
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by poppyfield » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:33 pm

A bit of a paradox this , we think the season should end because of funding and safety issues, but then we want to play this game, not sure which is right.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

jjljks
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:07 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:45 pm
jjljks wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:05 pm
Wealdstone match postponed today, so perhaps not as match fit as they should have been?
They’ve a home game on Tuesday night
Nope, Wealdstone's game got postponed.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: F A TROPHY ~ WEALDSTONE MATCH?

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:24 pm

Their manager has just resigned. Swindon Mark 2.

Post Reply