Those penalties

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Those penalties

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:41 pm

As the noteworthy penalty in our last match stimulated such interest, what about a penalties from the past thread? There have been some memorable ones; a couple I'd bring up are Frank Gray's against Rochdale in May 1991 and an outrageous dive from Mark Hine at Boston in 1989 - 'the guy might have clipped my heel' - that Les McJannet, I think, converted. Any more memories of Hiney or one of 'those penalties'?

polam
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Those penalties

Post by polam » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:15 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:41 pm
As the noteworthy penalty in our last match stimulated such interest, what about a penalties from the past thread? There have been some memorable ones; a couple I'd bring up are Frank Gray's against Rochdale in May 1991 and an outrageous dive from Mark Hine at Boston in 1989 - 'the guy might have clipped my heel' - that Les McJannet, I think, converted. Any more memories of Hiney or one of 'those penalties'?
The Mark Hine one fell in to the category of how on earth did he give that - one of our first away games following relegation to the GMVC and a pointer to what to expect from Conference referees (e.g. Northwich Victoria away ..)

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:26 pm

I've always wanted to see Darlo take place in a penalty shoot out. That was until the I went to the Rochdale play off. OUCH.

What I remember most about that was the sudden end. All day, hell all season had been leading up to that moment and it seemed to go on for ages but for one dodgy kick and it was gone. Fans on the pitch, Stockdale in tears, over.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:50 pm

That's spooky....I was only thinking of that Rochdale game earlier today! Broke down on the way, my eldest got the car home via AA, we all hitched to the ground in two cars then after the despair of losing spent hours getting home by walking, two buses and a train.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:50 pm

Has Barry Conlon's FA Cup penalty come down from orbit yet?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:30 am

Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:41 pm
an outrageous dive from Mark Hine at Boston in 1989 - 'the guy might have clipped my heel' - that Les McJannet, I think, converted.
Converted by Trevor Cleaver aka David Corner