Legal challenge?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
Alfie
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Legal challenge?

Post by Alfie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:31 pm

Quote (from twitter) from Dorking Wanderers owner Marc White

" we're expecting a null & void outcome imminently. We've been taking legal advice and we'd challenge the validity of the resolutions and their outcomes. Null and void would result in redundancies and have a significant impact on the club'

This could run and run.

eek
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by eek » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:39 pm

I can see the possibility of redundancies but given the options are:-

1) borrow money to pay these people and keep playing matches with no income coming in
or
2) not borrowing money and saving money by making those redundancies

I really struggling to see a sane legal argument

English law is however involved so sanity isn't a requirement to waste money on a court case.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:41 pm

He's a right pain this Dorking guy! I've seen some of his twitter feeds when he's been pontificating.

He contradicts himself. " integrity of the league blah blah" but then goes on to say he approves of lesser teams playing kids and players who play for free.

"we need to wait for the result then embrace it blah blah" then says he will consider taking action if the vote goes the wrong way, or the wrong way to him!

Tbh the name Dorking Wanders (founded 1999) makes me laugh. To anyone who hasn't been there it's a sleepy little small town tucked onto the outer reaches of Guildford, home to wealthy bankers and city commuters, I don't think the Wanderers have ever wandered that far.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlofan97
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Clubs taking on loans in their hundreds of thousands would also result in redundancies in the medium & long-term.

In the immediate short-term there is the furlough scheme to safeguard jobs until the end of April.

His argument does not stack up.

JasonDeVos
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm
Clubs taking on loans in their hundreds of thousands would also result in redundancies in the medium & long-term.

In the immediate short-term there is the furlough scheme to safeguard jobs until the end of April.

His argument does not stack up.
Them pesky northerners voting to end the season.

eek
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by eek » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:17 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm
Clubs taking on loans in their hundreds of thousands would also result in redundancies in the medium & long-term.

In the immediate short-term there is the furlough scheme to safeguard jobs until the end of April.

His argument does not stack up.
Them pesky northerners voting to end the season.
It's nice to see confirmation that the Ollie Bayliss's list is right and it seems over 50% of the NLN and NLS have voted to null and void the season.

Dorking's problem is that most NLN teams have seriously large travel costs on top of wages while those costs are no where near the same for NLS clubs.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5427
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Legal challenge?

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:38 pm

I think it’s mandatory that a team who is unhappy with the outcome has to threaten legal action. It never comes to anything. If it’s been voted on according to league rules, they haven’t got a leg to stand on, unless the league have broken their own rules.

It’s usually more of a tedious threat to present a tough guy image. Won’t amount to anything as he won’t risk spending tens of thousands on a legal case he has little chance of winning.

Ironically, forcing teams to take loans to complete the season may well be a breach of league rules. Perhaps it’s something we can look into.

Dorking are top so it’s no surprise they want to carry on the league.

Same as last season, when it comes to null and voiding, teams will vote on their own self-interest. Hence AFC Fylde’s volte face this season compared to last.

And I guess there’s nothing massively wrong with self-interest, so long as teams are honest about that. “We could be promoted so we’d rather the season continued.”
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm

We could recommend Spen?
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

joejaques
Posts: 2890
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by joejaques » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
We could recommend Spen?
He'd be looking for accommodation and travel expenses. :roll:
Image

lo36789
Posts: 9240
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Tbf I don't actually disagree with his stance around letting clubs who don't want to play not sanction free and allow those that do to finish the season in a manner they want. It just wasn't an option made available.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:49 pm

The sports minister in charge, who's line on grants/loans started this mess, looks to me like he probably thinks a football season only lasts three months.

He might be wondering what all the fuss is about.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

JasonDeVos
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:49 pm
The sports minister in charge, who's line on grants/loans started this mess, looks to me like he probably thinks a football season only lasts three months.

He might be wondering what all the fuss is about.
And MP for boreham wood who coincidentally got a very large share of the grants compared to the crowds

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:56 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm
Tbf I don't actually disagree with his stance around letting clubs who don't want to play not sanction free and allow those that do to finish the season in a manner they want. It just wasn't an option made available.
Bit tricky in the northern section. There would only be a handful of clubs wishing to continue. It would make the playoffs a dead cert and just be daft.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

lo36789
Posts: 9240
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm
Tbf I don't actually disagree with his stance around letting clubs who don't want to play not sanction free and allow those that do to finish the season in a manner they want. It just wasn't an option made available.
Bit tricky in the northern section. There would only be a handful of clubs wishing to continue. It would make the playoffs a dead cert and just be daft.
Does that matter though?

If they want to gamble on it let them doesn't harm anyone else.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:24 pm

Marc White. I've watched his interview and like lo I see his point. He seems serious too.

His beef seems to be that he thinks the vote was set up to produce a certain result. The result of step 1 continuing and step 2 stopping. He thinks this is to stop relegation or resignation from step 1, where most clubs want to and can continue.

He also thinks that step 2 should have been split. So there would have been a possibility of South continuing and North stopping.

So much for Boris's levelling up agenda.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4881
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm
Tbf I don't actually disagree with his stance around letting clubs who don't want to play not sanction free and allow those that do to finish the season in a manner they want. It just wasn't an option made available.
Bit tricky in the northern section. There would only be a handful of clubs wishing to continue. It would make the playoffs a dead cert and just be daft.
Does that matter though?

If they want to gamble on it let them doesn't harm anyone else.
It looks farcical, roll up roll up, every one's a winner.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

jjljks
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by jjljks » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 pm

joejaques wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
We could recommend Spen?
He'd be looking for accommodation and travel expenses. :roll:
Surely Uncle Brad would see him alright? :lol:

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:39 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 pm
joejaques wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
We could recommend Spen?
He'd be looking for accommodation and travel expenses. :roll:
Surely Uncle Brad would see him alright? :lol:
Why would he though? He doesn't actually invest in Spennymoor. All their money comes from sponsorship deals.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:28 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 pm
joejaques wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
We could recommend Spen?
He'd be looking for accommodation and travel expenses. :roll:
Surely Uncle Brad would see him alright? Image
Why would he though? He doesn't actually invest in Spennymoor. All their money comes from sponsorship deals.
Don't forget the Moors Tavern Adam

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


lo36789
Posts: 9240
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Legal challenge?

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:26 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm
Tbf I don't actually disagree with his stance around letting clubs who don't want to play not sanction free and allow those that do to finish the season in a manner they want. It just wasn't an option made available.
Bit tricky in the northern section. There would only be a handful of clubs wishing to continue. It would make the playoffs a dead cert and just be daft.
Does that matter though?

If they want to gamble on it let them doesn't harm anyone else.
It looks farcical, roll up roll up, every one's a winner.
Well only two teams would actually be winners. In all likelihood it would be those that deserve it as they have been there or thereabouts for the last 2 years.

I do sympathise with those who have got themselves in a good position and they don't get rewarded.

If it doesn't hurt anyone I don't see that it is a big problem - as long as we are not sacrificed.

Post Reply