Nasty defenders

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Nasty defenders

Post by H1987 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:40 pm

JE93 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:04 pm
I'm well aware footballers don't work 9-5 monday to Friday. They have to work Saturdays too! (I mean, I feel like you set me up for that one). But I've provided a long list of reasons why someone may want to stay local and why that would be better for them. All you have asserted is that it doesn't apply to you or your way of thinking.

Not taking anything personally. Not least because it doesn't apply to me in the slightest, I've lived abroad and now live around London for work. But my point stands, frequently on here people will throw out comments they wouldn't say to anothers face. If you think I'm delicate cause I can see things from others point of view and don't feel the need to use insults when I make a point. I'll happily stay as I am thanks.

Christ this is boring. When does the football start again.
Who is using insults? My comments weren't aimed at you, it was aimed very generically at some of the man babies that modern football (but in general society lately) churns out. Weird hyper localism that can't deal with slightly different accents is a particularly strange English phenomenon. Also, it's weird to suggest someone wouldn't say these sorts of things to people's faces. These aren't terribly unique observations, I don't say things online I wouldn't say in person, and we're talking about footballers here, not UFC fighters. You're the one who is upset at what was clearly a pithy remark about parochialism.

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Nasty defenders

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Is our defence the major problem? Looking at the goals conceded last season in the league it was 11 conceded in 11 games. For me it was the other end of the pitch where we have problems. We still do not have a goal scorer that's going to get 20+ goals a season. Look at the team at the top, Gloucester, they actually conceded more than a goal a game, but they scored, on average, 2 goals per game. We need goals to get out of this league. The fact that we did not score enough put focus on our defence not to concede. I always thought Alun's teams were attacking, if you score 4 we'll score 5 sort of a team, but this season was very flat, and the defeat to Hornchurch summed it up.
I do think Alun has to go back to the drawing board. I always remember when Steve McClaren was Newcastle manager and he came out with the line, "judge me after 10 games", and after 10 games they were bottom. Despite us having a good team, on paper, for whatever reason we can judge it did not work. Look at our league position.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman