Player of the season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Player of the season

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:51 pm

Only a bit of fun, given we had just 11 league games and 10 cup games.

Between Charman and Sousa for me. Charman probably edges it for consistency, although he’s a striker who didn’t score a league goal.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Emdubya

Re: Player of the season

Post by Emdubya » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 pm

Wheatly for me.Sousa drives me round the bend with his inconsistency.He can be unplayable for short periods and a total deadweight in the blink of an eye.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 pm

Player of the season: Sousa - he just edges Charman for me. Has had an instant impact since joining and scored some great goals. You can see the qualities he has and why he has played higher, he just needs to get his head up at the final moment just to decide whether shooting really is the best option. As you say Charman well up there, and a player I really hope is around next season cause. I think with a taste of mens football under his belt he'll come straight into next season ready and firing.

Goal of the season: Charman vs City of Liverpool genuinely great strike out of nothing from 30 odd yards.

Performance of the season: Minter vs AFC Telford in the FA Trophy. Single handedly kept us in and then won us the tie in that penalty shoot out. Charman vs Swindon would be a close second.

Moment of the season: watching Campbell's 2nd vs Swindon trickle over the line

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:48 pm

Wheatley for me, he is consistent, passionate, dependable always gives 100%, unlike Sousa who is none of the above. Chaman a close second for me.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:51 pm

I don't get people being so negative about sousa. Surely you'd never expect a player of his type to be doing the same thing for 90 minutes. Fact is he ended the season as top scorer having signed late, scored great goals, scared the keks off opponents and lit up our squad. Players in his position are always patchy, if they did it for 90 minutes at a time the opposition would be having to have a good long look at themselves.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:06 pm

All I have said is in my opinion that Sousa doesn't have all the qualities I've listed above. These are qualities I judge a Player of the season on. Clearly he's got other qualities that the rest of the team don't have so I don't think I am being entirely negative.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:11 pm

Wheatley. Consistent performer.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:12 pm

I was more looking at the post above, and other comments over recent days.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:35 pm

bga wrote:Wheatley for me, he is consistent, passionate, dependable always gives 100%, unlike Sousa who is none of the above. Chaman a close second for me.
Sousa not giving 100%, don’t be so ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:59 pm

What an absolutely mental comment about Sousa. He's been our best player since joining and contributes regular goals and assists.
Craig Liddle is God!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 pm

"He is really good because he runs a lot" still alive and kicking in 2021.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 pm

bga wrote:Wheatley for me, he is consistent, passionate, dependable always gives 100%, unlike Sousa who is none of the above. Chaman a close second for me.
To say Sousa doesn’t give 100% is just uncalled for, and blatantly untrue.

The consistency point I get, but to say he isn’t passionate and doesn’t give his all is so far off the truth it’s unreal.

What qualifies someone as a “passionate” player anyway?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:40 pm

Perhaps guaged by the level of hugging during goal celebrations?

bga

Post by bga » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:41 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 pm
To say Sousa doesn’t give 100% is just uncalled for, and blatantly untrue.

The consistency point I get, but to say he isn’t passionate and doesn’t give his all is so far off the truth it’s unreal.

What qualifies someone as a “passionate” player anyway?
You did say this was just a bit of fun. All of us are basing our opinions on either having watched matches this season on TV or video clips. Clearly when you can go to a game itself you get a different perspective on certain players, what they doing both on and off the ball. This discussion on the unofficial "Player of the season" is therefore a bit surreal really. As regards passionate maybe this is subjective, but I would say Gary Brown, Craig Liddle were passionate players and Wheatley.

Darlogramps

Player of the season

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:54 am

You were the one who criticised a player by saying he lacked passion and didn’t give 100%. That doesn’t exactly fit in with “a bit of fun”, in all fairness.
You can’t now row back and say: “Well it’s just a bit of fun” and “I’m only going off what I saw on telly.”

It’s a pretty specific criticism you’ve made of one individual, in multiple threads as well.

Judging by the reaction in this thread, most people don’t really understand where you’re coming from on that.

And with respect, you’ve dodged the question. I asked what qualifies someone as being passionate, not who do you regard as passionate.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Wheatley for me followed by Sousa , charman. Campbell.best performance was minters in cup game .
Wheats get the nod for his great ability to tackle hard and work rate along with captain marvel Hatfield.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Wheatley for me too, you know what you get and we would have conceded a lot more goals if he was not involved. Any one of our forwarders next Sousa, Rivers, Campbell or Charman good in some games but lacking end product at times that frustrates us all, but that is why they are at step2.
Roll on preseason July!

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:31 pm

Sousa for me. Goals and assists all the time. Yes he tries stuff that doesn't come off and I can see why people might be frustrated by his decision making but I think he has looked our best player by some distance.