South Shields

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

South Shields

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:16 pm

Have announced they’re going full time, former players Phil Turnbull and Josh Gillies both released.

johnnylewis1k89

Re: South Shields

Post by johnnylewis1k89 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:02 pm

If they can do that on the league below, I wonder how far away we are from that, imagine it won’t be long before Spenny follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Briggs is also considering his options with an offer from us on the table.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm

johnnylewis1k89 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:02 pm
If they can do that on the league below, I wonder how far away we are from that, imagine it won’t be long before Spenny follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are quite far from that transition, IMO.

The only reason why South Shields can go full-time in the league below is as they are very heavily backed.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:55 am

Briggs has a good job and doubt he would want to go full time, and by all accounts a good player who scores a few too. Problem may be spenny and Gateshead could offer more I suppose.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am

50 years wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:55 am
Briggs has a good job and doubt he would want to go full time, and by all accounts a good player who scores a few too. Problem may be spenny and Gateshead could offer more I suppose.
Is it all about the money? I don't know much about this player at all but we are known as a club who can develop players that will play a part surely in some situations?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:43 am

I thought Gateshead already were full time and even Spennymoor can’t sign everybody. There may be some players available who would be interested in a move to us. I am sure AA will be monitoring the situation closely. At least with our league being finished he has the time to take stock and plan ahead for next season.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:54 am

I find the timing to embark on an expensive full time team strange when, while we all hope next season will be able to be completed with normal crowds, there's no guarantee at this stage. And I'm not sure how necessary being full time is in the Northern Prem in order to get promotion, considering they were cruising to the title in 19/20. Even in this division it's possible to compete towards the top of the league as a part time team. However, if they think it's what they need, then best of luck to them.

Takes away a competitor for the best north-east part time players available, although perhaps might make it harder for us to pick up promising younger players who may prefer to stay full time.

I too can't imagine Spennymoor Town are too far away from turning full time either - I wondered if the removal of Ainsley was gearing up towards a full time transition.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Shields were as good as full time anyway. The only players who werent full time seem to have been released.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Did they ever do the work to expand their ground? I know it needed doing to get to this level.

I'm not quite sure I get what their owner is trying to do. There's no way they can develop that place for the football league, so I wonder what the end game is.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:20 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:50 pm
Did they ever do the work to expand their ground? I know it needed doing to get to this level.

I'm not quite sure I get what their owner is trying to do. There's no way they can develop that place for the football league, so I wonder what the end game is.
Think they put in a fair amount of the modular 4 step terracing behind the goal at the 4G pitch end and along the side with the road behind it. So they're okay in terms of capacity and seats to get promoted to the NLN. But they only have 250 seats so need to increase to 500 if they're to be eligible for promotion from this league. Have no idea where they stand re turnstiles, exits, toilets, changing room size etc that make up the rest of the grading regulations.

Currently have a planning application underway to build a 900 seat stand along the side with the road behind it, an activity centre and covered indoor pitch pitch (not full sized) alongside the 4g pitch they already have with 60 or 70 homes part of the planning application aswell. I think this has been (in part) financed through their share issue scheme that they undertook.

Looking at the plot, getting mariners park to FL standard will be about demolishing the existing clubhouse etc on the railway line side and building a fairly substantial stand instead.

In other news regarding well funded FL ambitious clubs. Fylde have posted their accounts for the year to June 2020, just the small matter of a £375,000 loss. Which would have been £1.4 million pounds had their owner not provided £1,030,000 in 'sponsorship' for his beloved club.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:34 pm

It's just as well for Fylde that Haythornthwaite's financial prop isn't from the Raj Singh version of investing in football which leads to a day of reckoning when the loans are totted up ready for the meltdown.

Does chucking vast sums at a non-league club in the middle of nowhere with very few fans equate to a "well run" football club? I guess sustainable yes... as long as the chairman's extremely deep pockets remain so. But figures like that at this kind of level are truly scary. The chairman will also have to spend a bit more to get all that daft 2022 stuff changed.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:28 pm

What would SS budget be then >500K < 750K ?

How would DFC go about making that step would it be an extra training session to make 3 nights per week or would it be to hybrid days/ nights or straight to 3/4 days?

Thanks

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:49 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:28 pm

How would DFC go about making that step would it be an extra training session to make 3 nights per week or would it be to hybrid days/ nights or straight to 3/4 days?

Thanks
I don't think we would be able to sustain a hybrid model. The vast majority of our players have full-time day jobs that would preclude them from being able to train during the day or train extra on an evening (on top of what they already do).

Our current model is okay. Once the 5-year season tickets have been phased out and we have cleared some small-scale debt, we could look at increasing our playing budget further to hopefully move up another gear or two and see where that takes us.

Realistically, we are not going to go full-time without some serious investment or increasing our commercial revenue significantly.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:40 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:49 pm
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Thanks
I don't think we would be able to sustain a hybrid model. The vast majority of our players have full-time day jobs that would preclude them from being able to train during the day or train extra on an evening (on top of what they already do).

Our current model is okay. Once the 5-year season tickets have been phased out and we have cleared some small-scale debt, we could look at increasing our playing budget further to hopefully move up another gear or two and see where that takes us.

Realistically, we are not going to go full-time without some serious investment or increasing our commercial revenue significantly.
Thank you for the response.

In reality you would suspect that the players are already doing some sort of session on the "spare " nights it's just that they aren't being paid for it.

I suppose it would come down to the balance of the best part time players v those at the bottom of the full time list.