Away day moments

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TinShedDarloFan
Team Supported: Darlington

Away day moments

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:22 am

What memories stick out from away trips?

Away game at Grimsby the other season, possibly the one where St Juste scored the only goal in a 1-0 win, Grimsby battered us that day but the moment that sticks out from the game has to be Sam Russell's penalty save, around 500 Darlington fans chanting 'Sammy Sammy Russell' the volume of the chant was unreal, great day in all

bigrichiet

Re: Away day moments

Post by bigrichiet » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:33 am

grimsby away 2 seasons ago was good aswell, the night game where we won 4-0.

Barnet and welling away in 1990 stick out for me, and the come back at scunny on the last day in 96 was brilliant, albeit the day finished badly, going into the playoffs instead of automatic.

One of my biggest regrets is being on hols for the pools away leg in the 2000 playoffs. me bruv in law says that his best ever away game and i'm sure it would be up there with welling, had i gone.

ah. memories!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 am

The best thing about the play-off win in 2000 was the bus journey through Hartlepool after the game. Some people are so touchy!
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:36 am

Beating Hull at the last game at Boothferry Park, with 10 men and Michael Ingham saved a penalty.

That was amazing.
Season before last at Bury was hilarious great day with GQ et al.
As I was pretty ill at the time Mike telling me that "If you die, I'll fucking kill you" was genius.

Rochdale last season which was on Sky was a brilliant game too.

The Love Slug

Post by The Love Slug » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:41 am

beating huddersfield at the galpharm, with THAT lob from Maddo, after a jolly afternoon in Rickys (lap/poledancing) bar!

What made it even better was as we were walking out some knobhead tried to start a bit of bother by saying 'its ok you fuckers are going bust anyway' we all just laughed in his face! class

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:45 am

Away at Scunny in the penultimate game of the 90/91 season, mini pitch invasion after they scored and one of their fans ran the length of the pitch to goad us :lol:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:47 am

1 - Beating Hartlepool United in the play offs ..
2 - Aston Villa away in the FA Cup in 1999/2000 ..
3 - Man City away in 1998/1999 ..
4 - Grimsby for the 4-0 win ..
5 - Macclesfield for the 6-0 win last season ..

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:51 am

I can still run a replay of Gary Coatsworth's looping header in my head, and my view of the concrete during the celebrations after it.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 am

AndyPark wrote:5 - Macclesfield for the 6-0 win last season ..
That was amazing it has to be said.

cwisstoffhur

Post by cwisstoffhur » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 am

4-4 away to chester about 4 seasons ago, it still haunts me, worst goalkeeping performance i'll ever see (i hope)
TinShedDarloFan wrote:
Away game at Grimsby the other season, possibly the one where St Juste scored the only goal in a 1-0 win, Grimsby battered us that day but the moment that sticks out from the game has to be Sam Russell's penalty save, around 500 Darlington fans chanting 'Sammy Sammy Russell' the volume of the chant was unreal, great day in all
thats the infamous goal we couldn't see because of the fog brilliant day that one.
It's Clobberin' Time

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:06 pm

cwisstoffhur wrote:thats the infamous goal we couldn't see because of the fog brilliant day that one.
That was the one, seen all the darlington players coming through the fog celebrating, 2nd half the fog disapeared

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Many great days out watching Darlo. One's that particularly stand out for me was Hereford away in the play-offs and that looping header. Favourite memory was that goal kick at Doncaster in the wind. The look on their keepers face had to be seen to be believed, absolute classic.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:25 pm

This is turning into a nice little follow up to the pointless nostalgia thread a week or two back.

I will throw in a trip to Deepdale, Preston in 1996. It was the day they opened the Sir Tom Finney stand, the best stand I had seen to that point and a crowd of 11,000 came to see them turn us over. It finished 1-1 but we murdered them, hitting the woodwork three times. Robbie Blake hit the bar/post angle with a chip; had it gone in it would have been one of the greatest goals I have ever seen, even to this day.

The atmosphere was amazing that day. On the way back both supporters and team coaches got stuck coming over the A66 and the resulting snowball fight that ensure between buses was fantastic. Ended up having to come back via Carlisle after the buses started slipping backwards down a hill!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:33 pm

That Hudds game was ace. The fact it was our first away win all season (in February), the Maddo goal, and the whole atmosphere - we sang them outof the ground. There was a great bit in the second half when some stewards were chasing this Darlo fan up and down the ground - he was pretty much crowd surfing across the whole stand to avoid them. Great craic.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Peterborough away back in 2006 where we won 3-1, great result and a great day. Think Giallanza got sent off in the opening minutes.
Also, another good/bad day was Morecambe away a couple of years ago. Was a new ground as they'd just been promoted, took lots of fans over just to watch 21 minutes of football before it was abandoned :)
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

poly12

Post by poly12 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Watching Gary Bennett ping the ball into the top corner at Victoria Park is my favourite away day moment, followed closely by beating Hull in the last game at Boothferry Park.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:33 pm

quakersam wrote:Peterborough away back in 2006 where we won 3-1, great result and a great day. Think Giallanza got sent off in the opening minutes.
Also, another good/bad day was Morecambe away a couple of years ago. Was a new ground as they'd just been promoted, took lots of fans over just to watch 21 minutes of football before it was abandoned :)
I got to one away game that season... Morecambe, typical! :lol:

RH79

Post by RH79 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm

best one for me has to be Exeter away in 1995/96 when we stuffed them 4-0 best Darlo performance i have ever seen away from home. I walked out of St James park thinking we were on for promotion.Typicasl Darlo!

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Geordie Quaker, Preston that year is a great shout - obvioulsy there's Welling, Poolie playoff, Barnet (in the conference) but i have never ever witnessed a game in Darlo history away from home where we have BATTERED a top side and we only got a 1-1 - there fans couldnt believe how well we played, i remember we were singing 'What's it like to be outclassed?' and they simpy didnt have a reply (even better as we were quite close to them) remember Simon Shaw hitting the bar from something like 30 yards out ?

supermariodorner

Post by supermariodorner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:38 pm

leeds away league cup 96

Fucking brilliant night out

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:59 pm

quakersam wrote:Peterborough away back in 2006 where we won 3-1, great result and a great day. Think Giallanza got sent off in the opening minutes.
I literally got soaked through that day walking to Christie Park from the York Hotel!

I couldn't believe the match was still on and I just walked through the puddles it didn't make a difference!

I went to the rematch as well and I thought they had a nerve charging us half price to get in when we already paid for the first match! We won 3-0 on the night and I was convinced then we were finally going up, how naive I was :|
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

ham

Post by ham » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:46 pm

crew anyone about 1985 went from relegation favourites to winning promotion on that fantastic bankholiday mondaynight led by super cyril knowels

going_back_to_cali

Post by going_back_to_cali » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Northampton away December 2000. Gabbas and hjorth tore them to shreds as we won 3-0. We all know what followed unfortunately!

going_back_to_cali

Post by going_back_to_cali » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Northampton away December 2000. Gabbas and hjorth tore them to shreds as we won 3-0. We all know what followed unfortunately!

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:27 pm

crewe away 82-83, night match - won 5-2 great night!

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:33 am

Bradford a couple of years back in the league cup, went down there expecting them to win, Glenn Robson grabbing the winning penalty after 120 nailbiting minutes of football!

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 pm

Robbie Painter's equaliser in front of the Darlo fans at Leeds in the League Cup. Fantastic moment.

David McGurk's last minute header at Kiddy when we got a 1-1 draw undr Hodgy. We were rock botom and going down until that goal went in. Weren't many Darlo fans there but the celebrations were top notch. We beat Rochdale at home the next week thanks to Chris Hughes' goal and I think we then went and won at Huddersfield next game.

rj50

Post by rj50 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Stoke in Carling Cup about 3 years ago,when we won 2-1 and played most of the game with 10 men.
not a nice place Stoke.

richmond_col

Post by richmond_col » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 pm

1996 Leeds in the League cup 2 -2 (Roberts and Painter?). It marked my return to watching live football after a 19 year exile due to work and family commitments. A great night.
Coming back to win 3-2 against Burnley in the cup at the Riverside was pure magic. I remember seeing a Burnley fan, built like a brick s***house who looked hard as nails, in such a state of Disbelief he was bawling his eyes out on the way back to the car park. Classic!!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Robbie Painter's equaliser in front of the Darlo fans at Leeds in the League Cup. Fantastic moment.

David McGurk's last minute header at Kiddy when we got a 1-1 draw undr Hodgy. We were rock botom and going down until that goal went in. Weren't many Darlo fans there but the celebrations were top notch. We beat Rochdale at home the next week thanks to Chris Hughes' goal and I think we then went and won at Huddersfield next game.
Beat me to it darlo2001uk!

I remember Hodgy saying at one point he wanted Kiddy to score one more to break the chain of 1-0 defeats.

I was nearly thrown down the stand when the equaliser went in! You'd think we'd just been promoted.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly