Interesting tweets from the fans forum

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Interesting tweets from the fans forum

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 pm

Graham Fordy saying the only way to get more fans in will be to achieve success on the pitch. While this is a no-brainer and the same attitude Houghton had, could it signal the ambitions of the new regime?

Not sure what to make of this - will they be subsidising the playing side to make it happen? :think:
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

quaker4life

Re: Interesting tweets from the fans forum

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Spyman wrote:Graham Fordy saying the only way to get more fans in will be to achieve success on the pitch. While this is a no-brainer and the same attitude Houghton had, could it signal the ambitions of the new regime?

Not sure what to make of this - will they be subsidising the playing side to make it happen? :think:
Yes but GH tried to achieve it in such a way that couldn't be sustained, hopefully RS will more patient and not spend above the odds.

The club must build with in it's means this time round.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Like Hull did?

I'll buy anyone a beer that can quadruple our catchment area

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:13 pm

DL5 wrote:Like Hull did?

I'll buy anyone a beer that can quadruple our catchment area
Hull are a good example of what can be achieved, but the difference is they've always been well supported even when they were in the bottom half of L2.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Spyman wrote:Graham Fordy saying the only way to get more fans in will be to achieve success on the pitch. While this is a no-brainer and the same attitude Houghton had, could it signal the ambitions of the new regime?

Yes but GH tried to achieve it in such a way that couldn't be sustained, hopefully RS will more patient and not spend above the odds.

The club must build with in it's means this time round.
How do we know Singh won't do the same? Houghton intended to cut spending but his imagination got the better of him last season. Whats to say a decent start to this season doesn't turn Singh's head?

I e-mailed a question in, I hope it gets asked. Basically I want to know what Singh's ambitions are for the football club. Where does he see us in 5 years? Attempting to establish ourselves in League 1, or seeing where our natural level is with no subsidy, or somewhere inbetween.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Bridges ain't coming. Not bad news.

DC

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Spyman wrote:Bridges ain't coming. Not bad news.
I think Shrewsbury have him in the bag anyway, not that we could afford him.

Positive sign Raj won't be spending stupid money.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 pm

quaker4life wrote:

This is not proof that Raj won't be spending stupid money though, is it.

Not that I think he will.

DC

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 pm

It's like fookin groundhog day isn't it? :lol:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:35 pm

We do need a striker though!

Wonder if Todd is any further along the line with Waghorn/Franks/others?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm

How have the players been able to sign contracts when we're still in admin? :?:

darlogaz

Post by darlogaz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:39 pm

Franks would be a great loan signing ,would do really well at our level i think

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Spyman wrote:
quaker4life wrote:

This is not proof that Raj won't be spending stupid money though, is it.

Not that I think he will.
No, but signing Bridges would have made a statement wouldn't it?

If there's big money signings in the January transfer window then you can panic!

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Im kinda gutted, i was really hoping we would actually sign him this time, how many times has he been linked with us? even in the older hodgie days

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

DL5 wrote:How have the players been able to sign contracts when we're still in admin? :?:
They'll be signing contracts for the new company.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlogaz

Post by darlogaz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 pm

DL5 wrote:How have the players been able to sign contracts when we're still in admin? :?:
good question anyone enlighten us??

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:44 pm

LOL at waterproof shirts, whats all that about, trying to be another portsmouth with shirt technology

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:44 pm

darlogaz wrote:
Quakerz already said it.

Notts_Quaker

Post by Notts_Quaker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:45 pm

I know GH spent a fair bit on the players but wasn't it mentioned somewhere that he was running the club to a championship standard, i.e. paying silly salaries to staff that weren't really necessary? Maybe this was just a burden as players wages.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Notts_Quaker wrote:
I know GH spent a fair bit on the players but wasn't it mentioned somewhere that he was running the club to a championship standard, i.e. paying silly salaries to staff that weren't really necessary? Maybe this was just a burden as players wages.
Whatever it was NQ you saw the end result.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Quakerz wrote:
But why couldn't that have been done straight away when they joined us? there's been concern over players being poached before they can sign for us, was could that have been avoided?. Or has the new company just been set up? If so why couldn't it have been set up earlier? So many unanswered questions :crazy:

darlogaz

Post by darlogaz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:47 pm

quaker4life wrote:
darlogaz wrote:
Quakerz already said it.
yeah soz lads computers running shite tonight very slow :oops:

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 pm

It explains why the staff haven't been getting paid.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:51 pm

DL5 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
But why couldn't that have been done straight away when they joined us? there's been concern over players being poached before they can sign for us, was could that have been avoided?. Or has the new company just been set up? If so why couldn't it have been set up earlier? So many unanswered questions :crazy:
Who cares - they've signed them today so there'll be no poaching of players. Its worked out well in the end with it giving us an excuse to get shot of Craig James.

All in all it doesn't sound like we found out anything tonight that we didn't already know. Well, except the bit about the waterproof shirts :|

DC

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Errea branded bin liners, dry outside but lathered within :lol:

Leeds ex

Post by Leeds ex » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Raj needs to build enthusiasm for the club amongst the local community - anything from the forum that suggests he will do this? I hope a defeat at Aldershot doesn't dampen any new spirits and worse still a poor performance on the box against Leeds. Must say what I saw at Bradford PA didn't really inspire me although friendlies are deceptive. Martins not the answer combined with Thorpe far too slow. Would benefit from Waghorn or Franks and a return to fitness of Main.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Leeds ex wrote:Raj needs to build enthusiasm for the club amongst the local community - anything from the forum that suggests he will do this? I hope a defeat at Aldershot doesn't dampen any new spirits and worse still a poor performance on the box against Leeds. Must say what I saw at Bradford PA didn't really inspire me although friendlies are deceptive. Martins not the answer combined with Thorpe far too slow. Would benefit from Waghorn or Franks and a return to fitness of Main.
This season is about rebuilding, the local community wasn't there other than the hardcore of fans towards the end of the last season as you saw.

RS needs to win back the confidence of the hardcore of fans who've stood by the club, Penney said last season that they should worry about the people who are supporting the club and attending games.

The club made a genuine effort last season when Christine Balford had that meeting with a group of supporters, I hope this effort continues.

Leeds ex

Post by Leeds ex » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Old debate I know but 2500-3000 hardcore fans will never make the Stadium pay. Vital that positive publicity builds beyond this core base - admittedly slowly and within sensible financial constraints. How many beyond those that read fan sites such as this get to hear of positive stories - instead intrigue and negative stories about admin continuing and club being 'shut' are spun by the Echo and Gazette. Raj needs to reamin on positive terms with hardcore buit this was largely achived after relief that someone came in and prevented us from shutting and reforming in the Wearside league. His priority must be to attract extra investment through use of facilities and extra matchday attendances.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:27 pm

At the end of the day leedsex they didn't show up when we were flying, so they're certainly not going to turn up now.

The club's priority as I already said must be the fans who turn up week in week out and hopefully with some positive talk some more people will consider attending games.

Until then it is a dead conversation, we've been over it time and time again but the people who we're talking about aren't getting the message and if they are they're ignoring it.

Leeds ex

Post by Leeds ex » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Relying on core base will only lead to another cycle of admin - must never give up on selling club. New beginning with new owner always leads to chance of a new start and fresh PR - imperative as always. Hull City interesting - under innovative chairmanship (Pearson) able to build up core base - remember the few thousand for matches at Boothferry Park?. Obviously differences regional base with no real rival north of the humber and bigger city, but still a PR savvy chair that has a positive high profile in the local media can boost club income.

On anther topic did anyone note the Times had us ranked to finish 23rd only Accrington below - the same accrington according to conversations with scout as reported on this site who said accrington were far sharper than we were on Saturday.