League 2 team by team guide.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ned_Flanders
Team Supported: Darlington

League 2 team by team guide.

Post by Ned_Flanders » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:28 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 736757.ece

The Times have us down to finish 23rd , which suprises me. I think we will do a lot better than that, mid-table for me would be a good season.

Discuss........... :thumbup:

mobi

Re: League 2 team by team guide.

Post by mobi » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Ned_Flanders wrote:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 736757.ece

The Times have us down to finish 23rd , which suprises me. I think we will do a lot better than that, mid-table for me would be a good season.

Discuss........... :thumbup:
Well if you think mid-table would be a good season then you must agree with The Times (i.e. we aren't very good).

I think if you read the reasoning behind their prediction then it makes sense. We'll have to see of course.

Ned_Flanders

Post by Ned_Flanders » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:40 pm

After whats gone on Mobi , mid-table would be excellent. And if i agreed with the Times , wouldnt i have said 23rd ?

long_man

Post by long_man » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:51 pm

1 Bradford City
2 Notts County
3 Rotherham
4 Shrewsbury
5 Lincoln
6 Rochdale
7 Morecambe
8 Bury
9 Aldershot
10 Bournemouth
11 Dagenham & Redbridge
12 Chesterfield
13 Burton
14 Northampton
15 Crewe
16 Port Vale
17 Grimsby
18 Hereford
19 Torquay
20 Cheltenham
21 Macclesfield
22 Barnet
23 Darlington
24 Accrington

The truth is no one knows what we are capable of yet, I will make my predictions in a months time :P

The Tees Mouth

Post by The Tees Mouth » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Not that I am saying we are going to finish in the top 7 or anything because I am not but whoever has compiled this clearly has very little knowledge of League Two. Lincoln without a strikeforce to finish 5th? Us worse than Macclesfield and Barnet with the likes of Foster, Windass, Miller and Lumsdon? Northampton and Crewe to finish in the bottom half?

Rubbish in my most humble of opinions.

slappys forskin

Post by slappys forskin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:05 pm

mid table

Quaker_London

Post by Quaker_London » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:07 pm

O/T but they had Newcastle down to finish 20th in the Championship guide.

Also, have Donny to finish 9th, which considering they've signed no one since last year is ridiculous

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:16 pm

Well if I was connected with Crewe, Northampton or Hereford I think I'd be very concerned with that prediction.

It's complete rubbish - a piece of hack guesswork - which shows the complete lack of interest/knowledge in lower league football.

They roll out an article like this once a year and then spend the rest of the season printing pages and pages of premiershite.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm

long_man wrote:1 Bradford City
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They couldn't even win a raffle with McCall in charge.

inappropriateh

Post by inappropriateh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Top six look reasonable to me apart from Bradford top and I think Bury, Chesterfield and Bournemouth may still be in with a shout of top 7. Although I have little confidence for the coming season, I think 23rd is way off the mark...I hope

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:48 pm

what a load of tosh, we'll be in the bottom half but not religation material

jqm18287

Post by jqm18287 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:27 pm

The bookies have us 6th bottom in terms of least likely to be promoted. 41% of the message board have us bottom half or relegated (around a 1000 fans if extrapolated).

We have a good first 11 and I doubt very much we would be relegated if Colin Todd's best 11 played every week.

However, injuries and suspensions will yet again be a major factor as to where we finish in the league.

Foster, Windass and Miller will almost certainly be injured and/or suspended this season. If it happens at the same time we will struggle to beat teams.

Staying up this season is the next step in this battle to keep a football league club in Darlington. Let's not rest on our laurels but show the players how much it means to us that we have a football team to support by creating a great atmosphere at home to Leeds United and continued support throughout the season.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Why is it that the chairman and players are hinting at promotion yet the fans expectations this season are much lower?(and seemingly realistic). Are the hierarchy of DFC naive enough to think that we're going to get out of this league with Convery et al, no disrespect but if our galacticos of the last 2 seasons couldn't do it how the hell are this lot expected to do so on a third of the budget?

We look to have the makings of a mid table team, CT has done wonders really given the predicament we were in but promotion? come on :lol:

AlanSprouts

Post by AlanSprouts » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Snobby bloody Southerners. I like the ITV Teletext that has us at 19th :thumbup:

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 pm

DL5 wrote:Why is it that the chairman and players are hinting at promotion yet the fans expectations this season are much lower?(and seemingly realistic). Are the hierarchy of DFC naive enough to think that we're going to get out of this league with Convery et al, no disrespect but if our galacticos of the last 2 seasons couldn't do it how the hell are this lot expected to do so on a third of the budget?

We look to have the makings of a mid table team, CT has done wonders really given the predicament we were in but promotion? come on :lol:
Exeter managed it on the back of momentum and team spirit. You could see it when they drew here on Day 1 last year

1 Team Spirit
2 Skill
3 Application
4 Support
5 Money

in that order!!!

DL5

Post by DL5 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:11 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:
DL5 wrote:Why is it that the chairman and players are hinting at promotion yet the fans expectations this season are much lower?(and seemingly realistic). Are the hierarchy of DFC naive enough to think that we're going to get out of this league with Convery et al, no disrespect but if our galacticos of the last 2 seasons couldn't do it how the hell are this lot expected to do so on a third of the budget?

Exeter managed it on the back of momentum and team spirit. You could see it when they drew here on Day 1 last year

1 Team Spirit
2 Skill
3 Application
4 Support
5 Money

in that order!!!
4 and 5 you can forget about, 1 doubtful, 2 and 3 who knows?

We have no similarities to Exeter though have we?

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 pm

i tend to agree, however ive been looking at the other teams in league 2 and the majority of them seem to have quite poor teams this year, its clear quite a lot are feeling the pinch this season

like ive said before tho, the team as it stands has no chance unless we bring in 3 decent loan players, as it stands as soon as we get 2 injuries we're into the youth lads

PJPoolie
Team Supported: Pools

Post by PJPoolie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Why are any of you bothered what the Times think?

I'd much rather be tipped to finish second bottom than second top. Expectation isn't easy to deal with, you've been amongst the favorites to go up since at least 1993 and look where it's got you :lol:

You are still in admin, you have a thin poor looking squad, are you really surprised struggle is predicted?

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 pm

PJPoolie wrote:Why are any of you bothered what the Times think?

I'd much rather be tipped to finish second bottom than second top. Expectation isn't easy to deal with, you've been amongst the favorites to go up since at least 1993 and look where it's got you :lol:

You are still in admin, you have a thin poor looking squad, are you really surprised struggle is predicted?
Cheeky b******.

What have you done in pre-season apart from buying an Austin with no source of spare parts. Hartlepool is off limits to the AA or RAC. :lol: :lol:

PJPoolie
Team Supported: Pools

Post by PJPoolie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:
PJPoolie wrote:Why are any of you bothered what the Times think?

Cheeky b******.

What have you done in pre-season apart from buying an Austin with no source of spare parts. Hartlepool is off limits to the AA or RAC. :lol: :lol:
It wasn't intention to be cheeky, you have an 18 man squad (which is padded out by kids) in which the two key players are 35? and 40.