Not looking good for Chester ....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AIDO
Team Supported: Darlington

Not looking good for Chester ....

Post by AIDO » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:14 pm

... just got a txt off my mate in Chester ... The FA have called off their game tomorrow. He is fearing the worst am afraid .... :cry: ....

Darlo_Pete

Re: Not looking good for Chester ....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:25 pm

That's really terrible news, my Chester City mate at work was planning to go over next weekend to see their first game at home. Looks like they might go under, it could so easily have been us instead.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Has there been a development then? Yesterday Sky were reporting that they would play Grays at the weekend but start on -25 points.
COME ON DARLO!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Here's a statement on Chester FC's own website:

Article Date: 7 Aug 2009 Have your say

press release

STATEMENT FROM THE BOARD OF THE FOOTBALL CONFERENCE LTD CHESTER CITY FC (2004) LTD In the view of the FA's decision to review the decision of the Football Conference to grant Chester City FC (2004) Ltd membership of its competition for season 2009/10 the Football Conference has decided that it is in the interest of the integrity of all competitions and indeed the club, to postpone the clubs first fixture which was to take place against Grays Athletic tomorrow. The Football Conference hopes that this matter will be speedily resolved to enable Chester City to fulfil its fixtures without further disruption to the club and the competition. Colin Parke - PR & Media - Director - Conference Board

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 pm

I hope Chester get through this, after our own struggles recently I'd hate to see another club go to the wall.

The whole situation is a disgrace as they have effectively been relegated before a ball has been kicked.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Not looking good at all for them. Fingers crossed it works out for them.

TwoSaints

Post by TwoSaints » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:50 pm

That's not looking good, what do they need to do before they will be allowed to play?

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:39 pm

There are some cretins running this wonderful game of ours. :cry: :thumbdown:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:45 am

http://www.chestercity-mad.co.uk/news/l ... &id=456713

Passionate article from a very frustrated Chester fan - which has so many parallels with our recent history it's not true. You can almost delete Chester and insert Darlo all the way through.

It's a real wake up call - attendances/premiership/finances/dodgy owners/sky fans/promotion and relegation/new ground - all there.

We should count ourselves very lucky to have escaped and ALL get behind the club while we still have one.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:50 am

My friend at work who supports Chester reckons that tomorrow's game at home to Gateshead will go ahead if all the other Conference sides give their permission for Chester to start playing. Although I don't know that Wrexham will be too keen. Permission should be given by the end of today for the game to go ahead tomorrow.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:25 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:My friend at work who supports Chester reckons that tomorrow's game at home to Gateshead will go ahead if all the other Conference sides give their permission for Chester to start playing. Although I don't know that Wrexham will be too keen. Permission should be given by the end of today for the game to go ahead tomorrow.
Why wouldn't Wrexham be too keen?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 am

Because they're fierce rivals of Chester.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 am

I think Petes talking bollox again Hilly.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 am

wylam_rangers wrote:http://www.chestercity-mad.co.uk/news/l ... &id=456713

Passionate article from a very frustrated Chester fan - which has so many parallels with our recent history it's not true. You can almost delete Chester and insert Darlo all the way through.

It's a real wake up call - attendances/premiership/finances/dodgy owners/sky fans/promotion and relegation/new ground - all there.

We should count ourselves very lucky to have escaped and ALL get behind the club while we still have one.
Thanks for that link, made for some good dinner break reading for sure. I think something really needs to be by the FA with the vast amount of clubs that are on the brink days. Big clubs included (charlton, southampton etc)

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 am

It was the FA that created the Premier League in the first place.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Because they're fierce rivals of Chester.
So you're saying that should the same happen to us, Hartlepool (because they're our 'fierce rivals') would vote against us?

Give over man. Somethings are more important than a silly rivalry. Especially considering that if Wrexham voted against them, they'd miss out on undoubtably their biggest attendence of the season.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:49 pm

A very good article and as has been said before you could so easily swap the word Chester for the word Darlington.

herts_darlo

Post by herts_darlo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 pm

There was a vote this morning on the Ebbsfleet site (closed at 10am) asking the members if they objected to Chester starting the season, given that they were getting a -25 penalty. Each BSP club has been asked to give/deny permission for Chester to participate this season.

For the record, the Ebbsfleet board were strongly recommending that the members vote in favour of Chester taking their place in the league.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:08 pm

knoxy5000 wrote: Thanks for that link, made for some good dinner break reading for sure. I think something really needs to be by the FA with the vast amount of clubs that are on the brink days. Big clubs included (charlton, southampton etc)
aye southampton are really struggling shelling out £1m for rickie lambert today.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Apparently tonight's game at home to Gateshead has been cancelled, so it looks like the end for Chester. Just think that could so easily have been us.

trotskycat

Post by trotskycat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Sorry Pete but your a little ahead of yourself again. A meeting is to be held on Thursday to determine CCFC future. IMHO they will be allowed to compete but they may have to drop another level.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:42 pm

From what I've heard from Chester things don't look very good. They were warned that if they didn't play Gateshead tomorrow then that would probably be it for the club. I sincerely hope I'm wrong as we can't afford to lose clubs with such a long history.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 pm

It will be better for them in the long run to go bust.

They are going nowhere under Vaughan and liquidation is the only way they'll get away from him.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:13 pm

That is a great column, with plenty of parallels to our own almost fate.

I really hope Chester find some way through all of this, or we may soon find out how we could've ended up.....
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Good column.

I know the way clubs like Chester and ourselves have been managed in the past means a lot of our problems are self inflicted. But the arses who support the premiership teams, but have never been to a match really get up my nose.

There's a couple of people in my office who support Liverpool and Arsenal respectively but even though they say they're massive fans they have never been to see them play. Even when over the last few seasons they could have seen them at Boro, Newcastle or Sunderland. Neither of these two have any history behind supporting the team e.g. they came from that part of the country, they just follow them because they are a big name.

It makes me sick and although I have good banter with them I've told them on several occasions I have no respect for them.