Random Darlo Nostalgia

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

fcdarlo

Re: Random Darlo Nostalgia

Post by fcdarlo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:28 am

SuperQuaker wrote:Darlington 7 Colchester Utd 3, 93-94 season. Amazing game, I almost lost count of the score that night! I think this was Alan Murray's first home game in charge of Darlo, and it's a game which every Darlo fan claims to have been at, even though the attendance on the night was something piss-poor like 1,300.
I was thinking just the same thing about this game, if I recall it was our first win of the season and Ian Juryeff scored a belter from way out at the open end from just near the old Paddock. Was it a forward line of Chapman and Jureyff ?

Also an away game at Wigan lost 4 - 0 with 2 players (Gregan i think and A Other). Getting socked at Scarborough and losing by 3 or 4.

Seems I am a fan of heavy defeats, but the best victories, Welling Away, i was only a kid and the drop down from the terrace to the pitch seemed a mile to get on after the game, and also the Burnley game at the riverside, took an age to drive back to Leicester in the fog, but well worth it if only to see a Mark Barnard goal.

The Love Slug
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by The Love Slug » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:27 pm

the burnley game...ahhhh the memories. I seem to remember being 1 nil down and hoping the game would get called off due to fog, but then we tonked them!!

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Scunthorpe 7 Darlo 2 2002/2003???????

Barry Conlon and Mark Ford sent off inside 15 minutes, 3-0 down by the time Ford went, we would have been hammered regardless but the atmosphere in the darlo end was fantastic the alcock song still fresh in my memory.

Also, Peterborough 4 Darlo 2 1999/2000

3-0 down inside 10 minutes, only for Gabbas to grab 2 inside the first 10 minutes of the second half only for the Posh to kill us off not long after!

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:10 pm

aldershot away in 84 won 4-3 during the miners strike, it was a warm day and the game was just end to end, made the journey home worth while.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:33 pm

I was at that game d64, the ref played about 10 minutes extra time and it wasn't Mr. Rennie either.

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I was at that game d64, the ref played about 10 minutes extra time and it wasn't Mr. Rennie either.
couldnt say pete, was 25 years ago :lol:

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:49 pm

SuperQuaker wrote:Darlington 7 Colchester Utd 3, 93-94 season. Amazing game, I almost lost count of the score that night! I think this was Alan Murray's first home game in charge of Darlo, and it's a game which every Darlo fan claims to have been at, even though the attendance on the night was something piss-poor like 1,300.
Ah, the 'Peter Kirkham game' - that was some night.

He ripped them apart, got subbed towards the end of the game to a standing ovation and came'n'stood near us - we used to stand right by the dug-outs back then. We told him we thought he'd had a tremendous game; I remember he blushed, pulled a big grin and said: "You think so?!"...beautifully naive re: the performance he'd just put in.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Oh, and I'm with everyone re: John Burridge at Spotland in '95; flapped at a corner he should have caught and gifted 'Dale a late equiliser. Dick.

We know what happened that night and then in the replay that followed...messy all round.

oldunwitkids

Post by oldunwitkids » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Stu_1 wrote:Scunthorpe 7 Darlo 2 2002/2003???????

Barry Conlon and Mark Ford sent off inside 15 minutes, 3-0 down by the time Ford went, we would have been hammered regardless but the atmosphere in the darlo end was fantastic the alcock song still fresh in my memory.

Also, Peterborough 4 Darlo 2 1999/2000

3-0 down inside 10 minutes, only for Gabbas to grab 2 inside the first 10 minutes of the second half only for the Posh to kill us off not long after!
After the Scunny game kept behind chanting "We are not Iraqs" when the cops kept us apart from the home supporters
Darlo V Burnley what a come back at the Riverside.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Not amazing wins but away days I enjoyed include battering Scarborough 3-0 at their place think Mardenborough fired in the third (I used to find it funny how Scarborough fans would sing 'Whats it like to see a crowd when they was about 2,000 there). . also remember Mardenborough scoring in successive away wins at Shrewsbury. I thought he was class at the time.

Another amazing away day was the 2-2 draw at Elland Road. I had just started back at university in Huddersfield at the time and dragged some of my premier league supporting mates along. They still look out for Darlo's results to this day.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:54 am

that was a hell of a game at Elland Road - made me proud to be a Darlo fan. I couldnt get a ticket for the home leg so a Leeds supporting friend of my dads got me one in the away end. I had to pretend to be a Leeds fan!

fcdarlo

Post by fcdarlo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Ha ham yup the 7-2 at scunthorpe, I am not sure i could have remembered the score, but was a cracking atmosphere, we may have been 5 or 6 down the place went mental when we netted 1. Brilliant

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Darlington 1 - Doncaster Rovers 1 - 2003/2004

A certain Steve Foster, Greg Blundell, Tim Ryan and Ricky Ravenhill played against us that day in what was without doubt the most surreal conditions I've ever seen a football match played.

Mark Convery scored for the second successive match, curling a shot into the bottom corner after picking up a short corner from Craig Russell, but the match has to be remembered for the conditions and not the game itself, Michael Price was in goal for us that day and from a goal kick he managed to give away a corner!

Unbelievable.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Ah the game at Doncaster, my 1st ever away game folling the Quakers, dont think it was so much curl from Convery, it was more the wind, ive not see a ball curl so much in my life

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Darlington 2-2 Peterborough 15 January 2002 - FA CUP 2nd round

Game played infront of nearly 7000 with the winners oplaying Newcastle at home in the next round, Wainwright and Conlon sent us into a 2-0 lead, we also had a penalty which Atkinson stepped up and missed, it was then retaken for some reason, this time Conlon took it and well the ball flew over the back of the south terrace, Peterborough then pulled one back before a certain Jimmy Bullard converted a spot kick for them to make it 2-2.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Darlington 3-0 York 6th December 2003

Really enjoyed our games against York but this one stood out, Conlon set us on our way with his usual goal against his former club, Wainwright then scored a memorable goal, running from the half way line taking on a number of York players, then taking the keeper on and slotting it into the back of the net, Craig James then finished the socring off with a fine header at the back post

jazzydfc

Post by jazzydfc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Going back to I think 86 or 87, we beat Swansea 6-1, with 5 goals in the first half. Could be completely wrong about the score or the opposition but I remember Paul Ward rounding the keeper in front of the shed to score.

DarloAL

Post by DarloAL » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 pm

93/94 season
Darlington 1 - 0 Crewe

This game was most notable for having the fastest ever sending-off. The Crewe 'keeper getting his marching orders after 19 seconds or something after taking out Robbie Painter. Robbie then dusted himself down to convert the penalty.
The thing that I most remember about this match is that after the excitement of a sending-off and a goal within the first minute of the match, the following 89 minutes contained possibly the worst football I've ever seen! Truly awful.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:47 am

Al - we got battered for the remainder of the game but somehow hung on!

Kentquaker

Post by Kentquaker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 am

Southport 7 Darlo 0

This match was around 1977 and I went on the back of my mates 750. Not only did we get a hammering my brand new platform shoes melted on the exhaust pipes on the way back. The price of fashion eh!