Bishops Stortford road closures

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Alfie » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:33 am

There are road closures on the access road to the ground coming of the M11 junction 8. Looks like a long diversion route.

https://www.essexhighways.org/highway-s ... ent-scheme

Old Git

Re: Bishops Stortford road closures

Post by Old Git » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 pm

Temperature forecast to be 31 degrees on Saturday afternoon at Bishop Stortford. Going to be a hot one for players and supporters.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:44 am

With Lawlor’s suspension I would assume that Lees and Sukar will be our central defenders today. Mustoe could return at left back or possibly Hedley might be drafted into the team. We have looked light at the back all season, and I think it was a mistake not to sign another central defender before now. This is the second time already this season we have had a central defender suspended, and our options are very limited. I know we will be restricted financially, but perhaps a new manager will be able to bring in a loanee to provide more competition and cover in defence.
Hoping for 3 points today to finish off a difficult week on a positive note. I would like to see Hazel restored to the attack, he needs to get a goal or two to kickstart his season, but he is a good player and he will score goals given decent service.
It will be interesting to see how the players respond to the events of this week, hopefully they will react in a positive way. Wonder if any of our managerial candidates will make the long journey to Bishop Stortford to watch the team in action. Anyone going to the game keep your eyes peeled and do some crowd spotting please.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:02 am

Very difficult to predict the outcome after this week's events. Generally this season Bishop's Stortford don't score many goals and until Tuesday's home hammering they hadn't conceded many. This is pitched against our overall record of struggling for goals and conceding shedloads. Be interesting if those who said: "They've lost the dressing room" are proved right because if it was the case the team should play like a weight's been lifted from their shoulders.

A point or three would probably be against the odds given all the circumstances of the upheaval and little time to prepare for the stand-ins. But they say the lads are right up for it so who knows.

The bloke in charge of them sounds like he spent a lot of years selling dodgy Casios on Bishop's Stortford market. Here's hoping he's a glum geezer come 5 o'clock :D

andydarlo

Post by andydarlo » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:18 am

Going to be a hot one today. Already 29C in Cambridge area. Looking at 31C during game time

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:22 pm

Taylor, Griffiths, Lees, Sukar, Mustoe, Platt, Hatfield, Liddle, Barnes, Nelson, Hazel

Subs: Felix, Moke, Rivers,Windass, Salkeld

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:22 pm

Curry and hedley out of favour?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:26 pm

Curry has a hamstring problem and I think Hedley was going through some kind of exercise routine before the last home game.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:42 pm

Hedley isn't/hasn't been injured.

Totally bizarre Windass was signed after one game + now we have abandoned the 3-5-2.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:56 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:42 pm

Totally bizarre Windass was signed after one game + now we have abandoned the 3-5-2.
I don’t think Hedley is better than Griffiths or Mustoe in my opinion - I would have him on the bench though

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

Erm.. probably abandoned the 3-5-2 because we only have had two centre backs for this game and the previous 3 games.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:42 pm

Can’t see where a goal is coming from here, prove me wrong Quakers!!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:43 pm

My opinion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:12 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

Erm.. probably abandoned the 3-5-2 because we only have had two centre backs for this game and the previous 3 games.
We haven't played that formation since Brackley at home. Abandoned.

Last 5 (including this one), has been 4 at the back, where Windass doesn't fit.

olrad

Post by olrad » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:47 pm

I see we’ve persevered with the aimless punt forward towards our non target man

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:53 pm

HT: 1-0 down to a side that got turned over 4-1 on Tuesday night.

Christ, what a mess, squad-wise, Alun has left us in. Too loyal to certain players, poor recruitment in other areas. Squad is massively unbalanced with 3 right-backs and then 3 centre-forwards that can't win a header.

There's a core of about 11/12 up to scratch.

Disaster summer.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:58 pm

It's the same players that fully deserved their win at Alfreton and played well enough against Brackley and Shields. I wouldn't be diving into complete despair just yet. But we do need to get the new man in ASAP and get things organised.

olrad

Post by olrad » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:00 pm

I see we’ve persevered with the aimless punt forward towards our non target man

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:04 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:58 pm
It's the same players that fully deserved their win at Alfreton and played well enough against Brackley and Shields. I wouldn't be diving into complete despair just yet. But we do need to get the new man in ASAP and get things organised.
Shields should have beat us, and so should have Boston if not for a calamitous offside decision.

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:11 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:HT: 1-0 down to a side that got turned over 4-1 on Tuesday night.

Christ, what a mess, squad-wise, Alun has left us in. Too loyal to certain players, poor recruitment in other areas. Squad is massively unbalanced with 3 right-backs and then 3 centre-forwards that can't win a header.

There's a core of about 11/12 up to scratch.

Disaster summer.
Absolutely spot on. We haven’t looked like scoring again today, playing far too narrow and I’m not sure what’s up with Hazel he doesn’t look like scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by quakermass on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:12 pm

The new man has transformed the same set of players at Southport, who were absolutely dire previously, and if we get the appointment right there is no reason why we shouldn't start to pick up.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:12 pm

No question right decision with AA, but have to say I’m beginning to doubt the quality of the players too. We just look second best in most games, incapable of dominating the game that’s for sure, rarely look like scoring and worst defence in the league.

Most say that this squad is much better than bottom of the league but honestly if they were all available tomorrow who for example would Spenny or SS take. Not sure there would be any or many and it’s a while since we said that.

Just hope the new guy can wheel and deal a little .

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:14 pm

We definitely deserved something from the game. Totally dominated the 2nd half, but unable to break them down. Honestly I do believe a decent manager will be able to get this team to start picking up points. Clearly some issues to resolve, such as turning possession into goal scoring opportunities, but I don’t think we are a lost cause.
Can’t fault the attitude or effort in that heat, so well done for that. On a negative note, is it just me, but did Sukar manage to pass the ball to one of our players all afternoon. I definitely think we need to bring in another defender who can actually pass the ball.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:17 pm

Why on earth did Alun give Nelson a two-year contract?

Like I said earlier, what a mess Alun has left this squad in. Unbalanced & budget all spent.

However, I guess that is what happens when you don't watch players before you sign them.

Bottom of the league after about 20% of the season already played. Cheers, Al.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:26 pm

Zero in that game. They should have had a pen when they scored. But other than that they didn't threaten. We pinned them back all second half but not the quality infront of goal.to.pick the lock. If that game had finished 0-0 or 1-1 it would have been a fair result.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:52 pm

Just seen the goal. Defending was a shambles again. Of course it started from a high cross then pinged around the box with Taylor in no man’s land yet again. We believe these guys are good enough but when you watch our goals against they honestly are not. Currently I hope.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:53 pm

Our league opener against Curzon was shocking, I was hoping it was some kind of first match malfunction but no, and how bad would we be now without the two recent additions of Hatfield and Barnes? Barnes of course due to leave soon.

Whoever the new manager turns out to be, he needs desperately to sort out the Hazel problem - what is wrong with Hazel?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:59 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:53 pm
Our league opener against Curzon was shocking, I was hoping it was some kind of first match malfunction but no, and how bad would we be now without the two recent additions of Hatfield and Barnes? Barnes of course due to leave soon.

Whoever the new manager turns out to be, he needs desperately to sort out the Hazel problem - what is wrong with Hazel?
Hazel needs to be playing alongside a physical centre-forward.

Badly let down by some very poor recruitment.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:16 pm

Anyone spot a potential manager watching us today ?

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:31 pm

They probably all did a runner at halftime 😂

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Why on earth did Alun give Nelson a two-year contract?

Like I said earlier, what a mess Alun has left this squad in. Unbalanced & budget all spent.

However, I guess that is what happens when you don't watch players before you sign them.

Bottom of the league after about 20% of the season already played. Cheers, Al.
Nelson will prove his worth imo and will score goals if given the service, the bigger problem is Hazell who looks sluggish and slow.Armstrong has wasted a large chunk of the budget, and as mentioned above has he honestly watched some of his signings or just gone on recommendations.Awful recruitment and fingers crossed the new manager can somehow rectify Armstrong's mistakes.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk