Darlington V Workington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Workington

Post by jjljks » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:18 pm

But in the end we got through to the next round. It was a banana skin of a fixture & glad we got over it safely with cash into the bank. Hope we get a decent draw & can progress. Perhaps any potential manager might see we are not quite the sad case that our current league position shows.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:19 pm

Through to the next round with a 3 1 win.
MoM for me was Salkeld, best game he’s played.
Windass was poor.
Not sure what the new manager (if he was there tonight) thought of that, a few decent moves and goals, but, he’s got a lot of work to do.
I enjoyed it good to see a win.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:26 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:19 pm
Windass was poor.
Not sure what the new manager (if he was there tonight) thought of that, a few decent moves and goals, but, he’s got a lot of work to do.
Agree regarding Salkeld he was our most dangerous player. In the end we ran out clear winners, and their keeper made some excellent saves to keep them in it. Still some defensive frailties to iron out, but hopefully a confidence boosting win and a step along the road to a better season.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:43 pm

Just got back from the match tonight, feeling happier simply because we won!

positives - salkeld played well and tried hard, I thought curry when he came on did well and looked very lively, Hazel of the mark and hopefully can now kick on

Negatives - defence looked poor and it’s far to easy to open, us up, midfield lacking creativity

Summary - a much needed confidence boosting win!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:57 pm

Much improved performance, should have scored 5/6 if it wasn’t for their GK who was impressive.

Also that attendance of 982 is false. The queues from 7.20pm onwards because the card machine wasn’t working were massive.
I’d have had that crowd down at 1300/1400 easy, more than what we had at the Boston game.

Plenty of people just walked through the 2 gates from the beer garden into the ground.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 pm

That`s one of our biggest problems too many balls going sideways or backwards from midfield need someone to either run forward or pass it forward.
Thought our wingers did better tonight seemed to put more crosses in but same problem no one there to apply finishing touch.Thought we were going to blow it at one stage when we backed off and they took control but the 3rd goal on the break was decisive

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:04 pm

They’ll be an accident one evening. The top lights on the entrance lane were off, as were the street lights on the left hand side of the main road heading out towards the roundabout. This meant hundreds and hundreds of fans all milling around and spilling out on to the road and pavements in near darkness, with not one policeman or steward anywhere to be seen.

There is so much messaging about how to behave at the match and rightly so, but at full time the fans and spectators are left to their own devices.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:00 am

Good performance tonight. Not too dissimilar from last Saturday at Bishop Stortford... Plenty of the ball just this week we created much more. Saying that, playing a team from the division below will have aided.

Midfield far more solid than usual too.

Salkeld looked good when he came on last week and looked good again this evening. Definitely starting to show his worth after being left on the side-lines for far too long!

Up the Quakers. Here's hoping for another team in a lower division at home in the next round.
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:43 am

I was really pleased with how we played, thought there was some excellent performances. Great crosses and corners into the box. Their keeper despite being quite small for a keeper, kept them in the game until near the end. A shout out for the Workington fans, thought there turnout for a night game was really good.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:55 am

Big confidence boost win, the crowd looked bigger than 992.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:08 am

when the game kicked off it looked about 700/800 people but about 8pm it just seemed to fill up a lot more think most were outside as problems with card machine were making it very slow to get in

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:18 am

Darlobill wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:55 am
The crowd was way bigger what was announced because they have only counted the ones that paid to get in and not those let in for free when they opened the gates because of the balls up at the turnstiles.I got to the ground at 7.15 and there was already a queue with 2 turnstiles open.5 minutes before kickoff there were hundreds still outside.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:39 am

Well that second half was a much better watch. There must have been some words said at half time as we came out and played on the front foot and had Workington pushed back time after time. The amount of chances created, it could have easily been 7 or 8 but for their keeper who made some stunning stops.
As Jim pointed out in his PMI, there’s still frustrations with some of the decision making and the fact we switched off after being 1 up and didn’t kill the game there and then when on top. Once we zipped the ball around with purpose and intensity we played them off the park and our extra quality shone through. We didn’t see enough of that in the first half, it was slow and predictable.

However, it’s a win which was sorely needed and some much needed prize money in the bank. We can look forward to the draw on Monday
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:59 am

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:18 am
[quote=Darlobill post_id=509539 time=<a href="tel:1694850959">1694850959</a> user_id=22839]
The crowd was way bigger what was announced because they have only counted the ones that paid to get in and not those let in for free when they opened the gates because of the balls up at the turnstiles.I got to the ground at 7.15 and there was already a queue with 2 turnstiles open.5 minutes before kickoff there were hundreds still outside.
[/quote]

It’s always a good idea to carry a bit of cash. ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:03 am

Decent performance in the end. First half was worrying how easily they got in behind our centre backs, and Windass was getting nowhere near their number 7. Seemed to get to grips with it second half, and had very few scares, bar Lawlor inexplicably trying a drag back when last man and getting robbed.
Curry was a real threat when he came on - missed 2 sitters, saw the keeper pull off a great save and then set up Hazel. Salkeld was very unlucky to be hooked for him. Worked hard, and got some very good crosses into box. Would have much preferred he stayed on than Felix, who just doesn't seem to do anything. He's quick, but never seems to take his man on, or get a cross in. Plus missed a header my Gran could have scored.
Good to get some prize money - make up for the lost revenue at the gate.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:34 am

Another match report littered with spelling errors, just like the advertisement for a new Physio with a typo that could have cost us dearly.

We really need to start proof-reading articles before they are published!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:47 am

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:03 am
Decent performance in the end. First half was worrying how easily they got in behind our centre backs, and Windass was getting nowhere near their number 7. Seemed to get to grips with it second half, and had very few scares, bar Lawlor inexplicably trying a drag back when last man and getting robbed.
Curry was a real threat when he came on - missed 2 sitters, saw the keeper pull off a great save and then set up Hazel. Salkeld was very unlucky to be hooked for him. Worked hard, and got some very good crosses into box. Would have much preferred he stayed on than Felix, who just doesn't seem to do anything. He's quick, but never seems to take his man on, or get a cross in. Plus missed a header my Gran could have scored.
Good to get some prize money - make up for the lost revenue at the gate.
Felix literally put a low cross in for one of the chances Curry missed.

He also isn't renowned for his heading ability; that chance he had was not easy.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 am

darlo reborn wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 pm
That`s one of our biggest problems too many balls going sideways or backwards from midfield need someone to either run forward or pass it forward.
Thought our wingers did better tonight seemed to put more crosses in but same problem no one there to apply finishing touch.Thought we were going to blow it at one stage when we backed off and they took control but the 3rd goal on the break was decisive
I agree.

Not sure who picked MOTM, but I was surprised it was given to Moke.

We are held back in that LCM/RCM position when Moke starts. He is neat & tidy in possession, however he cannot score, create or switch the play quickly.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:42 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
I agree.

We are held back in that LCM/RCM position when Moke starts. He is neat & tidy in possession, however he cannot score, create or switch the play quickly.
Not convinced he’s cut out for this level anymore. Not physical enough imo. But as you say, he looks tidy on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:00 pm

Interesting to hear the Workington manager Danny Grainger saying he thought there was no way Darlo would finish in the bottom part of the league. "They have too many good players for that." Hope he's a good judge.

He thought his side performed well and gave their all but just came up short and that they needed to take the chance to go 2-1 up when Brookwell caught Lawlor in possession and was in on goal.

He's probably right and I was fearful after we did our usual trick of conceding a goal out of nothing. But we deserved our win, spirited though Workington were, and we created more chances than in any game this season.

Well done to our stand-in bosses. It can't have been easy taking up the reins at this difficult time and last night was a job well done.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:07 pm

Who was managing on the side lines if all three senior players were playing?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:10 pm

Provett.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:20 pm

£3375 into the coffers 👍

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:42 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:
I agree.

Not convinced he’s cut out for this level anymore. Not physical enough imo. But as you say, he looks tidy on the ball.

Liddle is the LCM upgrade - hopefully a new manager can get him playing well on a consistent basis.

Moke genuinely has such a limited passing range & poor technique striking the ball.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:30 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:19 pm
Windass was poor.
Put Windass on the right-wing in the opposition's final third and he can deliver moments of real quality in terms of his runs forward/crosses in to the box.

Asking him to defend, however, is a completely different proposition. He simply can't.

Criminal really that Alun stacked a third of the squad with either right-backs or right-wingers.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:15 pm

I just bought the Northern Echo as I do on a Saturday and there’s no report at all of the Darlo game last night.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:36 pm

Darlobill wrote:I just bought the Northern Echo as I do on a Saturday and there’s no report at all of the Darlo game last night.
I suggest you stop buying it then

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:46 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:24 pm
Quaker85 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:42 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:

I agree.

Liddle is the LCM upgrade - hopefully a new manager can get him playing well on a consistent basis.

Moke genuinely has such a limited passing range & poor technique striking the ball.
Moke’s quick switch of play out to the right wing set up our opening goal last night. Liddle, for me, hides in games

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:20 pm

That wasn’t Moke - that was Platt.

I don’t think Liddle hides, he just lacks consistency/seems to lack the ability to press effectively sometimes.

If you want to talk about hiding, watch Scunthorpe’s 4th goal back & Buxton’s 5th.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:18 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:20 pm
That wasn’t Moke - that was Platt.

I don’t think Liddle hides, he just lacks consistency/seems to lack the ability to press effectively sometimes.

If you want to talk about hiding, watch Scunthorpe’s 4th goal back & Buxton’s 5th.
I stand corrected re the pass having seen the video. Still think Liddle has offered nothing considering he left us hanging re his signing for us in the summer. Moke never gives the ball away. I like him.