Robbie Stockdale??

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Robbie Stockdale??

Post by Alfie » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:53 pm

May just be somebody’s idea of a joke, but Craig Stoddart has put on Twitter a Wikipedia page which apparently shows Robbie Stockdale as Darlo manager appointed September 2023.

quakersam

Re: Robbie Stockdale??

Post by quakersam » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:07 pm

Alfie wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:53 pm
May just be somebody’s idea of a joke, but Craig Stoddart has put on Twitter a Wikipedia page which apparently shows Robbie Stockdale as Darlo manager appointed September 2023.
Also shows Mikey Black as Assistant :lol: Anyone can edit wikipedia, I’d take it with a massive pinch of salt
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:20 pm

Strong belief/expectation he has applied, I would assume he has a decent chance. Not convinced by someone updating wikipedia but wouldn't surprise me if he was successful.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:23 pm

I hope not.

No NLN experience & did very poor at Rochdale.

If we are going to take a chance on somebody with limited to no managerial experience at this level, I’d rather we do so with an Ian Watson or Tommy Miller type who have at least been Assistant Managers for a number of years locally.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:23 pm
I hope not.

If we are going to take a chance on somebody with limited to no managerial experience at this level, I’d rather we do so with an Ian Watson or Tommy Miller type who have at least been Assistant Managers for a number of years locally.
Tommy Miller was seen at the game on Friday.

Personally wouldn’t want him given his connections and love to Poolie

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:55 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
I hope not.

So he used to play for Hartlepool, that will have no impact on his ability to get results for us.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:17 am

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
I hope not.

Tommy (Killer) Miller, someone called Liddle and a scout were sat in front of us nearly all through the game. They seemed to be in scouting mode.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:53 am

Tommy Miller is no for me, he has been one of the most well known Poolie players of the last twenty years. However, we don't have you go down the "he's played for Darlo" route either.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:16 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:53 am
Tommy Miller is no for me, he has been one of the most well known Poolie players of the last twenty years. However, we don't have you go down the "he's played for Darlo" route either.
Personally I am not bothered who he used to play for. What would concern me more is his poor managerial record at Spennymoor.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:36 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:17 am
They seemed to be in scouting mode.
The most likely outcome. We play Spennymoor in little over a month and there are few occasions where Spenny would get a chance for their management team to watch us.

If you play on a Friday you invariably get a lot of other management teams in attendance.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:54 am

I'm sure whoever is appointed won't be met with universal approval in the way that AA was when he got the job. He was coming into it after a consistently successful few years at Blyth, including at this level.

That won't be the case this time. It may be that the new man doesn't have experience at this level OR hasn't enjoyed consistent success in their previous roles. There will be some level of compromise required and risk as there always is.

No doubt with any of the candidates it will be possible to find fault and pick holes in their experience/records or reputation. Let's be honest, what we would regard as the best of the potential managers are already in work and not looking for the Darlington job.

All you can do is carry out a thorough selection process with what's available, thoroughly research their records/experience and qualities/weaknesses and characters, take some professional advice and try to get the
best fit for the club. Hopefully we get it right because the right man for us will be among the various candidates.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:21 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:36 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
The most likely outcome. We play Spennymoor in little over a month and there are few occasions where Spenny would get a chance for their management team to watch us.

If you play on a Friday you invariably get a lot of other management teams in attendance.
Miller is assistant manager at South Shields.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:52 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:21 am
lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Oh yeh he moved didn't he - same difference tbh.

Friday night games are always a magnet for local management teams.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:55 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:21 am
lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

So what, are you suggesting that being an assistant manager at South Shields is somehow a better job than managing The Mighty Darlington. I think not !

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:01 am

No, I was just informing lo that Miller is not at Spenny and is an assistant at Shields.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:39 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:54 am
I'm sure whoever is appointed won't be met with universal approval in the way that AA was when he got the job. He was coming into it after a consistently successful few years at Blyth, including at this level.

That won't be the case this time. It may be that the new man doesn't have experience at this level OR hasn't enjoyed consistent success in their previous roles. There will be some level of compromise required and risk as there always is.

No doubt with any of the candidates it will be possible to find fault and pick holes in their experience/records or reputation. Let's be honest, what we would regard as the best of the potential managers are already in work and not looking for the Darlington job.

All you can do is carry out a thorough selection process with what's available, thoroughly research their records/experience and qualities/weaknesses and characters, take some professional advice and try to get the
best fit for the club. Hopefully we get it right because the right man for us will be among the various candidates.
Your right, my personal choice would be Fenton and hope that as well as inviting applications we have had a “quiet word” or too with others who may be already in a job like him, as is the way of the world!

Realise we have little chance of him but really do think they have to have experience of this level to some degree. Wait and see, I imagine early this week. Would be good once appointed to hear of the process, who was involved etc too.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:39 pm

Can’t see Stoddart making such a mistake as putting something out like that.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:25 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:39 pm
You mean like he did with Aaron Martin!

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:26 pm

Stockdale wouldn’t be my choice but, if it is him I’d expect all fans Inc myself to get right behind him & the lads

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:16 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:25 pm
Darlobill wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:39 pm
You mean like he did with Aaron Martin!
It might be another test to see if he can keep a secret 😀

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:16 pm

Supposed to be an announcement at 17.30 Tuesday night so some people are saying. Can`t beat another rumour lol!

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:26 pm

Heard tonight that Stockdale has got the job. Screams no ambition to me. Don’t think this will last long to be honest. I hope it’s a deal till the end of the season incase it doesn’t work out

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:36 am

Out of interest why does it Scream no ambition?

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:27 am

If true then not excited at all. His record at Rochdale was terrible. Maybe he has something to prove etc etc but agree with the above. Maybe he delivered the sharpest power point.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:04 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:36 am
Out of interest why does it Scream no ambition?
Personal opinion but 24% win record at Rochdale, not an ounce of experience at NLN level, to me that’s not getting the best person for the job.
Ambition to me would be going for someone like Steve Watson, knows the level, been there done it, got the t-shirt. If it turns out as I expect it will, then for me DJ’s got this one wrong. I would love to be proved wrong but I just can’t see it working out

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:13 am

More than happy to give him a chance if it’s true but agree that he would have been very low down my choice list.
Read a number of similar comments and have a mate who supports Rochdale and comments like: nice guy you will like him, couldn’t organise a raffle, no plan B, poor recruitment just seem like a mirror image of AA. Add to that he has never experienced this level of football would just seem like a very strange choice to me. But hey, maybe he gets the “fan owned model” etc.
Personal opinion which I hope comes back to bight me!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:45 am

Whoever gets the job we can’t assume they were our first choice. Maybe after listening to what we could offer in terms of salary, playing budget etc one or more of the more popular names turned us down. I think Wright wasn’t our first choice when he was appointed.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:13 am

We're in a precarious situation that could go either way and to me the over-riding requirement is for experience and someone who has clearly demonstrated the ability to get hold of things with a clear and rigorous plan and get things organised. With a fair chunk of the season gone already we simply have to get this right.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:24 am

Been looking through his managerial career , I can’t find anywhere he was successful at, lots of assistant roles, stand in manager appointments, obviously the Rochdale one was his big chance and it didn’t go well, widely said to be a good coach but you need that extra something to inspire , galvanise a team to be successful.
Has he got that, I hope so.
Like others have said, if he’s got the job, I just prey it works out, or we are well and truly f*#**.
I will be there Saturday supporting the lads and the new manager 👍

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:43 am

quakersam wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:26 pm
Heard tonight that Stockdale has got the job. Screams no ambition to me. Don’t think this will last long to be honest. I hope it’s a deal till the end of the season incase it doesn’t work out
And you heard this where???