Josh Gowling...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Josh Gowling...

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:40 pm

Certainly needs his own thread. Welcome to the club anď hopefully can steer us to better days.

don'tbuythesun

Re: Josh Gowling...

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:44 pm

Welcome and good luck. No one voted for him though!!!

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:47 pm

I think this may work out just fine. Danny Rose knows half of the squad which should help really.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:48 pm

Welcome to the club, I like the sound of this, lets hope everyone gets behind Josh and Danny

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:49 pm

Out of the wide blue yonder this one but he has my full support to take us forward.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:49 pm

Seems the Board have done their due diligence so I've no reason to doubt he's the best candidate. Can't say I know much/anything about him beyond the write-up but I think bringing Danny Rose in alongside him is a sensible move as someone who knows the club and some of the players already.

Good luck to him and hopefully he brings the fresh momentum we've badly needed. A seasoned defender as well so perhaps he'll pass on some of his experience to our leaky back line.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:50 pm

A surprise appointment, welcome to DFC and good luck.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:53 pm

Certainly not a name that was thought to be in the frame, but I think bringing in Danny Rose alongside is a sensible move. Wish them both well and lets all get behind them on Saturday.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:00 pm

Not much any of us can say, but I trust in the Club and the interview process. Hereford say he left the Club by "Mutual consent." Does that mean we did not have to pay them compensation? Welcome Josh and Danny (again). Look forward to the new era.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:04 pm

bga wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:00 pm
Not much any of us can say, but I trust in the Club and the interview process. Hereford say he left the Club by "Mutual consent."
It was over 7 months ago that he left there, why would we need to pay compo?

bga

Post by bga » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:07 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:04 pm
bga wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:00 pm
Not much any of us can say, but I trust in the Club and the interview process. Hereford say he left the Club by "Mutual consent."
It was over 7 months ago that he left there, why would we need to pay compo?
My bad I just Googled him and the first news item was about his departure from Hereford I just assumed it was now!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:11 pm

Any chance Stuart Armstrong can do the welcome interview instead of Ray reminding him where he’s been and what he’s done 🙁.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:18 pm

I think it's fair to say that there were mixed views among the Hereford fans when he departed by mutual consent in February. They felt there were some real positives as well as inconsistency about his time there. But overall I'm feeling positive about the appointment of someone who knows the league and tries to play the game with pace and movement.

Everything you read suggests he's a good character, very hard working and hungry to get his managerial career kick-started. His commute from home in Grimsby will seem like a breeze compared with the trek to Hereford!

I agree that the pairing with Rose, someone who knows the club and a number of the players, could work well.

New era, new ideas and hopefully a steady improvement with a fresh approach. I'm sure they'll get full backing from the fans starting with the important game on Saturday.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:34 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:18 pm
I think it's fair to say that there were mixed views among the Hereford fans when he departed by mutual consent in February. They felt there were some real positives as well as inconsistency about his time there. But overall I'm feeling positive about the appointment of someone who knows the league and tries to play the game with pace and movement.

Everything you read suggests he's a good character, very hard working and hungry to get his managerial career kick-started. His commute from home in Grimsby will seem like a breeze compared with the trek to Hereford!

I agree that the pairing with Rose, someone who knows the club and a number of the players, could work well.

New era, new ideas and hopefully a steady improvement with a fresh approach. I'm sure they'll get full backing from the fans starting with the important game on Saturday.
I'm happy that Rose is assistant because as others have said, he knows what the club is about and will know some of the players. That means for a few of the squad it won't be as unfamiliar as maybe another manager/assistant.

One thing bugging me though, didn't Danny Rose leave because the travelling was too much? Or did I just make that up?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:35 pm

I notice he also has a degree in psychology and is Managing Director of a car-leasing firm.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:40 pm

Wondering if they still get there boots on , we could do with a CH and creative MF 😀

feethamslad

Post by feethamslad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:49 pm

Well - quite an inspired choice. I'm pleased that the Club didn't go down the route of appointing one of the 'Merry-Go-Round' ex-managers with a history of failure elsewhere. I do hope that having a fresh face together with someone who knows the Club will prove to be a great combination. Both seem eminently qualified holding UEFA A licences. I wish Josh & Danny every success. Welcome to the Club.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:56 pm

Pleased with this after airing my previous fears about Stockdale. He knows the league and is articulate when interviewed. Looking forward to Saturday much more than I was this morning. I’ve gone from kicking my shirt around the centre circle to doing a full-on Barry Fry run down the touch line all in one day
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PolamLane

Post by PolamLane » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:01 pm

Great appointment for me...some success as a manager to date, young, good assistant choice etc....DJ on the ball with this i feel. Good luck to the new management team!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:23 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:34 pm
One thing bugging me though, didn't Danny Rose leave because the travelling was too much? Or did I just make that up?
I didn't recall seeing this to be fair, I've spoken to him a couple of Clee Town games when I've been in Grimsby and he still spoke highly of Darlo despite leaving originally in the summer.

still_darlo

Post by still_darlo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:29 pm

If you want to get know something about him, Josh Gowling wrote a series of articles for the Guardian in 21/22 - very articulate, looking forward to hearing him speak.

still_darlo

Post by still_darlo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:33 pm

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:35 pm

Looks like an excellent decision by an excellent management team at DFC led by David Johnson.
Welcome to the club Josh Gowling and welcome back to Darlo, Danny Rose.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:40 pm

still_darlo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:29 pm
If you want to get know something about him, Josh Gowling wrote a series of articles for the Guardian in 21/22 - very articulate, looking forward to hearing him speak.
He was well regarded at Hereford from what I remember so not sure what caused him to leave.

Did he get interviewed as part of an FA Cup run or have I completely made that up?

Expect he will invest a lot more in data analysis, scouting and I also suspect player welfare (physical and mental).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:59 pm

Interesting that a couple of those articles are around non-league clubs rebuilding players careers and also players developed by non-league clubs being picked up by bigger clubs for relatively small money.

Two subjects that would align him quite closely with Alun Armstrong and you would think probably caught the eye of our Board.

DC

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:01 pm

Seemed to do ok at hereford, not sure what went wrong towards the end. I take it his assistant is another danny rose. Not that useless one who stole a living in the premier league and was nicknamed weighrose. Where is josh gowling based these days? Dont think hes ever been based near the north east
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:07 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:01 pm
Seemed to do ok at hereford, not sure what went wrong towards the end. I take it his assistant is another danny rose. Not that useless one who stole a living in the premier league and was nicknamed weighrose. Where is josh gowling based these days? Dont think hes ever been based near the north east
His assistant is our former midfielder and coach, Danny Rose. Well known to all Darlo fans, not the former England International who quite publically fell out of love with professional football.

DC

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm

Still living in Grimsby?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:28 pm

Not sure if I am making this up, but are Hereford fan owned ? If so he should well understand the way we are run. Danny Rose certainly does know how we operate, so hopefully they will be a good fit for us. I like the idea of having two relatively young and probably ambitious people at the helm.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:31 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm
Still living in Grimsby?
Think I read he does so lots of travelling which didn’t work for Tommy Wright from Leicestershire so let’s hope he’s used to it.