Josh Gowling...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

CrazyDarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Gowling...

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:37 pm

After what I read from Rochdale fans regarding Stockdale, this is a bit of a relief for me. He had an okay record at Hereford, hopefully he’s improved from his time there. No idea what we’re getting in terms of style of play, but I’d hope as an ex defender he’ll be able to get us much more defensively sound than Armstrong managed.

Just listened to a post match interview of his after a defeat to us a couple of years ago. I think his answer at 1.10 gives us an insight as to how he might react to any sugar coating from Ray Simpson after a defeat!
https://youtu.be/-YsxzEaX9hs?si=lKWrFx368wbowV_o

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:40 pm

Now that was an extremely good first interview. Speaks very well.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:47 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm
Still living in Grimsby?
Yeah they both live in Grimsby, it's not too bad of a drive to be honest. Couple hours max each way.

Danny did it x2/x3 times a week when he was with us last, so he will be used to it.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:48 pm

Interesting to see he hired data analysts at Hereford

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:51 pm

Some "fans" are so harsh on Twitter my word..... The bloke got Hereford to the FA Trophy final in his first managerial role. Quite clearly still eager to learn.

Of course, some Hereford fans are going to say certain things. Fans only tend to remember the end of a managers tenure and pass on their warnings to the next team they take charge of. It happens with every single manager in the country that gets sacked.

I for one wish Josh and Danny all the best. Here's hoping for a positive performance on Saturday!
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:55 pm

It's an excellent and articulate first interview in which he says all the right things about his philosophy, the club, the fans and his expectations... and he's clearly got a good sense of humour which he may need on occasions.... "I've never won here, so if you can't beat them, join them" :D
Last edited by LoidLucan on Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:58 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:40 pm
Indeed. I like the cut of his jib.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:18 pm

What shines through most of all is positivity.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:19 pm

Good luck hopefully they can both turn it around quickly

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:20 pm

"Josh welcome to Darlington football club . . . tell us about your playing career". Ah man I can't cope with these interviews.

Good luck to Josh Gowling . Not a name I saw mentioned but looking forward to a fresh approach.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:23 pm

"Josh welcome to Darlington football club . . . tell us about your playing career". Ah man I can't cope with these interviews. Maybe we could just get an AI to read someone's wikipedia page in a North East accent.

Good luck to Josh Gowling . Not a name I saw mentioned but looking forward to a fresh approach.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:23 pm

I hope I can articulate this correctly without being labelled an idiot, or be being "negative", but...

This does all feel a little underwhelming and strangely familiar.

Josh Gowling's PPG at Hereford: 1.29

Tommy Wright's PPG at Nuneaton (prior to appointment at DFC): 1.29

As far as I am aware, Gowling is based in the Midlands, with Rose based in the Humberside area. When TW departed in 2019, I think it was pretty much understood by the Board & the fans that the experiment of a manager based so far away from Darlington was not sustainable, given the players a manager based out of the area would invariably attempt to recruit & the travelling involved.

Like Ghost_Of_1883 alluded to a day or so a go, it is all well and good dismissing a manager in Alun, but you must have a plan on who can come in and replace him. Football in this day and age is all about forward planning. It appears we have dismissed a manager with no clue on who would then come in to replace him. This appointment is so left-field that nobody will convince me otherwise.

Forgive me for saying this, but this all feels a little bit like it did back in 2017 when we appointed TW who was third choice for the role. Only this time, it wasn't a manager leaving us that has caused the need for a new one; we have pulled the trigger on Alun & then appeared to have gone, "what next?".

We are basically now expecting a new manager to come in & over-perform on his past performances just to scrape staying up, let alone in order to finish 14th/15th. This is a very precarious situation to be in.

I wish JG & DR all the very best. I really hope that they can turn us around. Of course, we can only judge them both on what they achieve for Darlington Football Club. However, it is also very useful to review the past in order to make an educated forecast of the future.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:26 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Was sarcastic with Ray's inane questions on 3 occasions, a very pleasing start.

As good as Jacob Hazel's first interview when he broke the world record for how many times someone could say "yeah" in one minute.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:34 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:23 pm
I hope I can articulate this correctly without being labelled an idiot, or be being "negative", but...

Alun Armstrong's PPG at Darlo: 1.39

Yep. And we sacked him. Club gave in to the baying, uneducated, impatient mob.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:38 pm

Articulate, positive, intelligent…feels like a breath of fresh air after 8 months of despondency and ‘ahh that’s a certainty Ray. We knaa what we’ve got in there…’

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:40 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:07 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:01 pm
Seemed to do ok at hereford, not sure what went wrong towards the end. I take it his assistant is another danny rose. Not that useless one who stole a living in the premier league and was nicknamed weighrose. Where is josh gowling based these days? Dont think hes ever been based near the north east
His assistant is our former midfielder and coach, Danny Rose. Well known to all Darlo fans, not the former England International who quite publically fell out of love with professional football.
Thankgod for that. What a useless waste of space he was
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:42 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:40 pm
Spyman wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Seemed to do ok at hereford, not sure what went wrong towards the end. I take it his assistant is another danny rose. Not that useless one who stole a living in the premier league and was nicknamed weighrose. Where is josh gowling based these days? Dont think hes ever been based near the north east
His assistant is our former midfielder and coach, Danny Rose. Well known to all Darlo fans, not the former England International who quite publically fell out of love with professional football.
He also had depression.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:43 pm

Will josh and his assistant be full time in there roles. Seems a hell of a hike for them for 2 evening sessions of training and home matches. Even alot of lower league managers of pro teams are either from the area or move up there
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:44 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:42 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Spyman wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
He also had depression.
He was also un-fit. Seems players in better shape in the northern league

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:46 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:44 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Spyman wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
He also had depression.
And that has nothing to do with having depression, no?

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:53 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:46 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
Spyman wrote:

He also had depression.
Still get a fair whack though. What about all the poor sods in lower leagues suffering depression due to not hitting big time and without the same level of support as well

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:56 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:53 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:46 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

He also had depression.
Still get a fair whack though. What about all the poor sods in lower leagues suffering depression due to not hitting big time and without the same level of support as well
Having money doesn’t stop you from suffering from mental health issues!

I don’t want to derail the thread. I’d just suggest you stop digging a hole for yourself.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:01 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Totally agree. Talking doesn’t win football matches, but what a refreshing change to listen to an articulate and positive manager. Of course he will be judged by results on the field, but I am feeling heartened already. Please everyone lets get behind these two, and give them a chance to show what they can do.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:23 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:34 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

How long would you have given him out of interest ?

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:09 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:35 pm
I notice he also has a degree in psychology and is Managing Director of a car-leasing firm.
Transferable skills there. Good to see the goodwill and optimism on this thread - 'got to admit it's getting better (couldn't get much worse)'.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:11 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:23 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:34 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

How long would you have given him out of interest ?
About 12 league matches. Given that the first 7 or 8 matches looked extremely tough overall.

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:32 pm

Josh is a columnist for the Non-League Paper.

So one would guess that he knows the non-league circuit quite well and is familiar with our league.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:35 pm

Mario wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:32 pm
Josh is a columnist for the Non-League Paper.

So one would guess that he knows the non-league circuit quite well and is familiar with our league.
Writes a good column too and i used to like him as a pundit on bt sport

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:56 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:I hope I can articulate this correctly without being labelled an idiot, or be being "negative", but...

As far as I am aware, Gowling is based in the Midlands, with Rose based in the Humberside area. When TW departed in 2019, I think it was pretty much understood by the Board & the fans that the experiment of a manager based so far away from Darlington was not sustainable, given the players a manager based out of the area would invariably attempt to recruit & the travelling involved.

Like Ghost_Of_1883 alluded to a day or so a go, it is all well and good dismissing a manager in Alun, but you must have a plan on who can come in and replace him. Football in this day and age is all about forward planning. It appears we have dismissed a manager with no clue on who would then come in to replace him. This appointment is so left-field that nobody will convince me otherwise.

Forgive me for saying this, but this all feels a little bit like it did back in 2017 when we appointed TW who was third choice for the role. Only this time, it wasn't a manager leaving us that has caused the need for a new one; we have pulled the trigger on Alun & then appeared to have gone, "what next?".

We are basically now expecting a new manager to come in & over-perform on his past performances just to scrape staying up, let alone in order to finish 14th/15th. This is a very precarious situation to be in.

I wish JG & DR all the very best. I really hope that they can turn us around. Of course, we can only judge them both on what they achieve for Darlington Football Club. However, it is also very useful to review the past in order to make an educated forecast of the future.
While I understand your comparison, to me Gowling comes across as intelligent, articulate and someone who knows what he wants to achieve and how he plans to achieve it. He clearly has a passion and knowledge of the game, and the issues that surround non-league clubs, based on some of the articles he's written.

Tommy Wright came across as none of those things. He was a cliché-ridden chancer who was well out of his depth. A non-league Frank Lampard, in fact I'm almost certain he modelled his interview style on Lampard.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:01 pm

Saturday's opponents, Gloucester, have also appointed a new manager tonight. Mike Cook has been managing Swindon Town Women and is a former player, assistant and manager at Gloucester.