Tamworth V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tamworth V Darlington

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:44 pm
Quakers2009 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:42 pm
Well, the club seemed really convinced that Gowling was their man and he was the stand-out over a quality list of applicants.
He talks a good game. His track record is equivalent to Wright and he was fooking useless.
Which I pointed out and the time & was ridiculed for doing so!

I do wonder if anybody from our Board actually checked what Gowling did, in league fixtures, with Hereford? If they had, he never should have been appointed.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:15 pm

The only consolation I can offer is that Tamworth were very very good and not in a false position at all. That being said there are absolutely no excuses for the level of effort a lot of those players showed in the second half.
Gowling needs to be given time to turn things around, he’s inherited a mess. No manager would’ve been able to give us the new manager bounce we were looking for, there’s too many fundamental problems with the squad.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:18 pm

Can you loose the dressing room in 3 weeks? Question got to be asked, clearly there is something wrong.

Quakers2009

Post by Quakers2009 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:21 pm

I think something is going wrong, Taylor & Felix would likely vouch for that.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:24 pm

I have lost count of how many times I have worked with people over the years who have had a good CV (OK Gowling's CV would not be great - granted), can talk the talk at the interview but when it came to the job did not perform. I would hope DJ is experienced enough to see through it. However, for me at the moment its on the players. Josh has tried to inject new blood by dropping Tommy and Jake Lawlor (I was never convinced with him anyway), but more surgery is required. No doubt now we are in a relegation scrap now, and we cannot score goals so we are in deep trouble. As fans though we have to back the manager, major surgery is required.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Quakers2009

Post by Quakers2009 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:28 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:24 pm
I have lost count of how many times I have worked with people over the years who have had a good CV (OK Gowling's CV would not be great - granted), can talk the talk at the interview but when it came to the job did not perform. I would hope DJ is experienced enough to see through it. However, for me at the moment its on the players. Josh has tried to inject new blood by dropping Tommy and Jake Lawlor (I was never convinced with him anyway), but more surgery is required. No doubt now we are in a relegation scrap now, and we cannot score goals so we are in deep trouble. As fans though we have to back the manager, major surgery is required.
DJ did appoint TW, IIRC.

I thought once bitten, twice shy with employing a gaffer based almost 2.5hrs from Darlington. The consensus around the time we appointed AA was that the North-East route seemed to equate to greater value for money & that the long-distance travelling for club employees didn't really work.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:30 pm

Any manager who believes that playing Salkeld and Griffiths as wing backs is the best way to get the best out of this squad does make me very worried.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:33 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:30 pm
Any manager who believes that playing Salkeld and Griffiths as wing backs is the best way to get the best out of this squad does make me very worried.
What do you suggest? We’ve been playing 4 at the back for most of the season it was no better. We played Hazel and Nelson as a pair, no better. Formation is NOT the issue, personnel is the issue.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:39 pm

If some players are unhappy that their cosy status quo has been busted then they should have tried a lot harder to keep AA and DH in a job. It was too cosy and poor performances didn’t result in team changes for months on end

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:40 pm

I think the problem of people 'talking the talk' is found above Gowling. If this club gets relegated to the NPL then we've been badly mismanaged. Although it does not all fall at DJ's door. We as the owners have the option of putting more money in. A subsidy of 160K appears to be nowehere near enough at this level.
Last edited by Yarblockos on Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:42 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:33 pm
Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:30 pm
What do you suggest? We’ve been playing 4 at the back for most of the season it was no better. We played Hazel and Nelson as a pair, no better. Formation is NOT the issue, personnel is the issue.
Agree with you. Personally think 4 at the back means players playing in a formation they are used to at least. Have Salkeld/Griffiths ever played regularly as wing backs, doubt it, so why does he think it will work, cos it isn’t.

But you’re right, the issue, as I have said many times is very poor recruitment in summer, both new and re signings. For me, too many of them are not up to this level and definitely a downgrade on previous players and there lies the problem.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:47 pm

Platt is an upgrade on Purver.
Sukar needs dropping, Lawlor is streets ahead of him.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:02 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:47 pm
Platt is an upgrade on Purver.
Sukar needs dropping, Lawlor is streets ahead of him.
If he was right footed he would be nowhere near the starting eleven

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:04 pm

I'm not convinced by 5 at the back or some of the personnel choices but happy to give Gowling time, as we we've been shocking most of the calendar year with 4 at the back too. It doesn't seem to matter what formation we play or which players start- we don't seem to be able to defend and we don't create enough. I've no issue with Gowling shaking things up a bit player wise - they've all been part of a football club which has been shocking for about 10 months now. We don't do anything well, so not sure any of them can complain if they're replaced with a different player (probably with the exception of Hatfield).

What a shame it's come to this year - this time last year was about as enjoyable a period as I can remember, and now we're looking in huge danger of a return to the 7th tier. Heartbreaking.

still_darlo

Post by still_darlo » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:17 pm

Relegation is never the end of the world. It would be a chance to get some enthusiasm back into the club, perhaps with a new set of more local-based players on a lower budget, which is not possible this season. Long way to go yet, though...
Our defenders are all good players individually (though Jake Lawlor looks slow to me from the little I've seen on highlights), but really defending starts from the front. Mark Beck was great defensively, and that's what we miss as much as his goals. We don't seem to have anyone capable of defending high up the pitch, which often leaves our defence exposed when our forward play breaks down.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:18 pm

Perhaps it would be better to go back to a 4.4.2. formation, simply because it would mean that everyone would be absolutely clear what their role would be. I completely support Josh and Danny, but just think we have to go back to basics, and keep it simple.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:25 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:40 pm
I think the problem of people 'talking the talk' is found above Gowling. If this club gets relegated to the NPL then we've been badly mismanaged. Although it does not all fall at DJ's door. We as the owners have the option of putting more money in. A subsidy of 160K appears to be nowehere near enough at this level.
I say the same thing and get busted for this, as apparently we have a mid-table budget? :think:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:30 pm

What a load of OTT panicking and sniping on this thread -some of the points on here are quite embarrassing really.......

We've got a new manager. He's inherited a badly put together, lacklustre, out of form, underperforming squad. :thumbdown:

This was his second league fixture and was away at top of the table opposition. Get real everyone, this is a marathon not a sprint.

My personal lowlights are these.

We've got 97 writing "I do wonder if anybody from our Board actually checked what Gowling did, in league fixtures, with Hereford? If they had, he never should have been appointed." ⬅️ I mean this is utter nonsense. We all know how underwhelmed you were with Josh's appointment 97 but can you give him a chance and shut up about him for ten minutes please?

We've got Darlopartisan asking "Can you loose the dressing room in 3 weeks? Question got to be asked, clearly there is something wrong." ⬅️ It might be possible to LOSE the dressing in three weeks, but do you really think this has happened? Because he hasn't won a game in 3 attempts and dropped a few players.

We've got Quakers2009 saying "I think something is going wrong, Taylor & Felix would likely vouch for that." ⬅️ Would they? Are they more important than the club? Taylor seems to have a beef which he is happy to make public (because he was dropped) whilst Felix wanted away - neither of these things seem that important. Both of these things happen all the time at football clubs.

Everyone needs to settle down a bit.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:30 pm
What a load of OTT panicking and sniping on this thread -some of the points on here are quite embarrassing really.......

We've got a new manager. He's inherited a badly put together, lacklustre, out of form, underperforming squad. :thumbdown:

This was his second league fixture and was away at top of the table opposition. Get real everyone, this is a marathon not a sprint.

We've got 97 writing "I do wonder if anybody from our Board actually checked what Gowling did, in league fixtures, with Hereford? If they had, he never should have been appointed." ⬅️ I mean this is utter nonsense. We all know how underwhelmed you were with Josh's appointment 97 but can you give him a chance and shut up about him for ten minutes please?

We've got Darlopartisan asking "Can you loose the dressing room in 3 weeks? Question got to be asked, clearly there is something wrong." ⬅️ It might be possible to LOSE the dressing in three weeks, but do you really think this has happened? Because he hasn't won a game in 3 attempts and dropped a few players.

We've got Quakers2009 saying "I think something is going wrong, Taylor & Felix would likely vouch for that." ⬅️ Would they? Are they more important than the club? Taylor seems to have a beef which he is happy to make public (because he was dropped) whilst Felix wanted away - neither of these things seem that important. Both of these things happen all the time at football clubs.

You may be right, you may be wrong overall, time will tell, but two things.

1. You are right. He has inherited a poor unbalanced squad overall, which is not down to him.

2. You are wrong. TT if true should not have heard he was dropped from anybody other than his manager. At any level that’s pretty basic man management and sends a poor message to the other players too about his style, which does not help.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Fair points but it's going to be a long hard season and we might have to give the new managers a lot of slack, largely because of what they've inherited as you say. We badly need something to cheer and it could happen next week when Kings Lyn come up - I honestly believe that if we put one in from open play - step forward Nelson - and defend a lead the players will get a real lift. Imagine. :idea:

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:22 pm

.....Rock Bottom !

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:26 pm

Was hoping to have evidence of new manager lift, but sadly disappointed. Fair enough, away to the top of table team was always going to be difficult, but the DFR commentary seemed to describe a team without direction & failed to challenge for all crosses or stopping their runs at our defence. No threat up front as Hazel's only shot on target was about 87mns. Hardly strung more than 5 passes in a row, quite simply we are relegation candidates. Those loyal 135 travelling fans deserved better.

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:35 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:18 pm
Perhaps it would be better to go back to a 4.4.2. formation, simply because it would mean that everyone would be absolutely clear what their role would be. I completely support Josh and Danny, but just think we have to go back to basics, and keep it simple.
Well I know little about formations but that sounds sensible and I'd just play everybody in their natural and favoured positions.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:41 pm

No Moke in squad today 🧐

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:46 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:01 pm
2. You are wrong. TT if true should not have heard he was dropped from anybody other than his manager. At any level that’s pretty basic man management and sends a poor message to the other players too about his style, which does not help.
At the last home game I (and others) heard Taylor moaning on that he'd heard from Twitter that he'd been dropped. Now it seems that he's done the same thing again today. If Taylor wants the confidential man to man type situation, perhaps he should put these points to the manager therefore negating the need to air his grievances in public, which isn't helping anybody. ie two wrongs don't make a right.

I agree and also take your point that the manager should have personally let him know though, "if true".

Actually, thinking about it - was he dropped today or just not picked? There is a difference here as we now have two keepers and Taylor didn't play in the last game.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:47 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:15 pm
[quote=loan_star post_id=510431 time=<a href="tel:1696693489">1696693489</a> user_id=380]
[quote=Quakers2009 post_id=510429 time=<a href="tel:1696693364">1696693364</a> user_id=23815]
Well, the club seemed really convinced that Gowling was their man and he was the stand-out over a quality list of applicants.
He talks a good game. His track record is equivalent to Wright and he was fooking useless.
[/quote]

Which I pointed out and the time & was ridiculed for doing so!

I do wonder if anybody from our Board actually checked what Gowling did, in league fixtures, with Hereford? If they had, he never should have been appointed.
[/quote]
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Totally agree!! 97 loving it etc.. come on guys get a grip, Alun has left us in this mess, he has blew the 160k not JG etc

My plan for the next week, avoid the cess pit that is X and avoid this forum, I expected nothing at all today, my prediction to mates was 5-0 before the match, it’s all about next sat and onwards, we simply must get something from next sat to build on & I believe we will.

Never seen so many moaning ppl, missing AA etc right down to the fitness coach! Embarrassing and all the moaners will be there next sat, so let’s give JG a chance eh before we write him off completely

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:32 pm

Loving it!?

These last 9 months have been miserable as sin.

Perhaps you should consider that my criticisms are a means to get out of this mess, rather than enjoyment at our demise.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:33 pm

An absolutely massive set of fixtures coming up now. We've played the best teams in the division, now we have the ones around us. Kings Lynn, Blyth, Banbury, Peterborough sports, farsley, and Chester who have underperformed so far are six of the next seven, along with a potentially embarrassing meeting with spennymoor.

Time to start picking up points, as if we don't we will lose touch very quickly. Gowling is here and staying now, and we need to win some of these games.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:02 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:32 pm
Loving it!?

Perhaps you should consider that my criticisms are a means to get out of this mess, rather than enjoyment at our demise.
You talk shite and are as bad if not worse than Spen, please explain how your criticism is a means to get us out of this mess!? Are you a rich benefactor or just a clown that like to moan?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:03 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:32 pm
Loving it!?

You talk shite and are as bad if not worse than Spen, please explain how your criticism is a means to get us out of this mess!? Are you a rich benefactor or just a clown that like to moan?
The latter.