Tamworth V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Heaton out
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tamworth V Darlington

Post by Heaton out » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:03 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:32 pm
Loving it!?

These last 9 months have been miserable as sin.

Perhaps you should consider that my criticisms are a means to get out of this mess, rather than enjoyment at our demise.
You talk shite for replies and are as bad if not worse than Spen, please explain how your criticism is a means to get us out of this mess!? Are you a rich benefactor or just a clown that likes to moan about everything?

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:06 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:03 pm
Heaton out wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:32 pm
Loving it!?

These last 9 months have been miserable as sin.

Perhaps you should consider that my criticisms are a means to get out of this mess, rather than enjoyment at our demise.
You talk shite and are as bad if not worse than Spen, please explain how your criticism is a means to get us out of this mess!? Are you a rich benefactor or just a clown that like to moan?
The latter.
I just don’t see the point, yes you may be proved correct in time but, JG has been left with a big mess, so I believe we try and get behind him rather than plot his downfall.

The_Natural

Post by The_Natural » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:35 pm

Not sure how you can blame the new manager, this game was always a write off
Blame lies with the walking misery who was managing
Us previously, how some fans were pleading for him to be given more time beggars belief, he has left a right state and fuck all budget behind him !

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:46 pm

All of the blame cannot be put at Armstrongs door as i think a lot of the players have really underperformed as well they should be trying to work there socks off but for reasons only known to themselves seem to just be going through the motions.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:59 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:46 pm
All of the blame cannot be put at Armstrongs door as i think a lot of the players have really underperformed as well they should be trying to work there socks off but for reasons only known to themselves seem to just be going through the motions.
Possibly because Armstrong left them completely devoid of confidence by bitching about the quality of our team compared to his beloved beck, leesley and dodds

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:34 pm

Just seen the goals. That second goal really sets alarm bells ringing. Clearly, Gowling wants us to play a certain way, playing out from the back and inviting the press. You might see it in the PL but not often at NLN level. I'd settle for a win by any means at the moment but it seems Gowling has a philosophy and wants us to follow it. If he is right, and we have a decent squad who just need to learn a new way of playing, then we should start to see improvement sooner or later. On the other hand, if the squad of players we have aren't actually very good (which looks like more likely) then this is going to be a disaster and Gowling had better find a more pragmatic approach or he'll be gone by Christmas.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:52 pm

I thought the goals were pretty awful at the game. On YouTube they should come with a XXX rating. To call it schoolboy defending would be an insult to schoolboys. This has been a failing for too long now. Maybe Lambert and Beck papered over the cracks last season? JG was right in his interview that Tamworth looked stronger and that they are top because they do the simple things well and consistently. We are bottom because we don’t and this time around we have nobody to aim for up front to hold up play, pull defenders around or score to at least compensate a bit for our frailty at the back

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:49 pm

Thoughts on today;
Didn't think Tamworth were that brilliant - they didn't play us off the park. Partly because we are better than we think we are.
Big problem is decision making. If you play from the back you have to have people in front offering themselves. If they take the ball with back to goal then someone behind has to burst forward to take the ball on. You need to draw your man before making your pass -pointless making a pass with noone within 20yards of you (for God's sake push on with the ball). Don't try 30 yard passes to someone who has a player 10 yards away because by the time the ball gets there the player is under pressure. If someone is in acres of space then pass the ball to them. None of this is rocket science but was beyond us today.
Today Salkeld was often in a lot of space and nobody passed to him. The players too often played a ball and that was job done instead of moving into space. Overall Hazel played well when he got the ball but that was a rare occurrence. Curry should be dropped - purely a place holder. Nelson looked OK when he came on but 1 or 2 up front makes little difference if you don't get the ball to them in a way that they can do something with. Hatfield was good but playing too far forward to get the best out of him. Need him and Platt shielding the defence. Griffiths was good. Rivers played well when he came on.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:06 am

Just watched the goals. 3 things immediately stood out for me.

1. The body language after conceding the first just said, oh well that’s another defeat let’s get on the bus now. No leadership on display at all.

2. If JG thinks thinks it is better value for money on a young goalkeeper compared to TT than that money ( no matter how much) being spent further upfield then he is just wrong. We have I think scored 3 goals in open play in 11 league games!

3. What on earth were we doing for goal 2. “We need to get back to basics” he said post match, yet he must have spent time in training on playing out from the back like Man City!!

Worried of Darlington!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:27 am

Only seen the goals but it doesn’t make for comfortable viewing 🫣
For the second goal I counted 9 passes from our goal kick before we lost the ball on the edge of our own box. Really glad to hear Josh talking about getting back to basics and doing the simple things better. May I suggest the first lesson we learn is don’t mess about at the back and get the ball away from danger.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:37 am

I appreciate that playing out from the back is modern football, but it takes a certain type of squad to be able to pull it off ( a top 8 premier league club, not a team bottom of the NLN)

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:41 am

I'm not averse to us playing out from the back when the opposition steps off, but when they are pressing you on the edge of your 18-yard box away from home, you just can't do it. Especially with no out-ball to a Beck or a Felix.

The easiest 3 points we have had at this level in the past are often against sides who try such tactics. We are an easy 3 points at the moment.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:39 am

Yarblockos' point was the one we were debating on the way back from the game and is key to whether we stay up or not. Do we have a decent enough squad who have been badly coached and therefore Gowling can get enough out of them, or is the squad so poor that a new manager couldn't get much our of them anyway? Sadly after yesterday I suspect the latter. You don't lose 5-0, 4-0 and 4-0 in half your away games if you're not an incompetent squad. Josh says 'We'll get it right'. Unfortunately I've lost hope after yesterday. I don't blame Gowling at all for trying different things. We're stuck with the majority of this team on contracts, no money to turn it around and for me no green shoots of recovery.

If you reprogrammed the Deep Blue supercomputer (which was programmed with all the algorythms and information from the greatest chess players in history to produce an unbeatable chessbot) with the greatest managers in history it would fail to get anything out of this team. After a couple of games the AI would self-destruct and blow up the surrounding area knowing it had failed.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:48 am

⬆️ I still think he needs a bit more time. He’s had 3 games so far.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakers2009

Post by Quakers2009 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:09 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:30 pm
We've got Quakers2009 saying "I think something is going wrong, Taylor & Felix would likely vouch for that." ⬅️ Would they? Are they more important than the club? Taylor seems to have a beef which he is happy to make public (because he was dropped) whilst Felix wanted away - neither of these things seem that important. Both of these things happen all the time at football clubs.

Everyone needs to settle down a bit.
Did I say they are more important than the club?

I would say one senior player leaving, plus another frozen out, whilst three backroom staff all depart (two of which do not have other job-offers) does not sound like a happy camp to me.

Infact, judging by their activities on Twitter, it looks as though some of the departing staff feel a little aggrieved by the way TT has been treated.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:15 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:39 am
Yarblockos' point was the one we were debating on the way back from the game and is key to whether we stay up or not. Do we have a decent enough squad who have been badly coached and therefore Gowling can get enough out of them, or is the squad so poor that a new manager couldn't get much our of them anyway? Sadly after yesterday I suspect the latter. You don't lose 5-0, 4-0 and 4-0 in half your away games if you're not an incompetent squad. Josh says 'We'll get it right'. Unfortunately I've lost hope after yesterday. I don't blame Gowling at all for trying different things. We're stuck with the majority of this team on contracts, no money to turn it around and for me no green shoots of recovery.

If you reprogrammed the Deep Blue supercomputer (which was programmed with all the algorythms and information from the greatest chess players in history to produce an unbeatable chessbot) with the greatest managers in history it would fail to get anything out of this team. After a couple of games the AI would self-destruct and blow up the surrounding area knowing it had failed.
With regards to the appointment of Gowling, it seems like the board were thinking more of 'we need someone with a clear philosophy to get this team back to its best' rather than 'we are in relegation trouble and we just need to stop up by any means possible'. So, I don't think the board think Gowling is working with a poor squad. But on the basis of results since the start of the year we appear to be pretty much the worst team in this league. If that's the case we need to decide if we do another BTB or we accept we are probably going down. We'd probably need a fans forum or an extra AGM first and it would have to be done soon, December is a bad time for fund raising, January is too late. It would have to be November.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:37 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:49 pm
Thoughts on today;
Didn't think Tamworth were that brilliant - they didn't play us off the park. Partly because we are better than we think we are.
Big problem is decision making. If you play from the back you have to have people in front offering themselves. If they take the ball with back to goal then someone behind has to burst forward to take the ball on. You need to draw your man before making your pass -pointless making a pass with noone within 20yards of you (for God's sake push on with the ball). Don't try 30 yard passes to someone who has a player 10 yards away because by the time the ball gets there the player is under pressure. If someone is in acres of space then pass the ball to them. None of this is rocket science but was beyond us today.
Today Salkeld was often in a lot of space and nobody passed to him. The players too often played a ball and that was job done instead of moving into space. Overall Hazel played well when he got the ball but that was a rare occurrence. Curry should be dropped - purely a place holder. Nelson looked OK when he came on but 1 or 2 up front makes little difference if you don't get the ball to them in a way that they can do something with. Hatfield was good but playing too far forward to get the best out of him. Need him and Platt shielding the defence. Griffiths was good. Rivers played well when he came on.
It's not often I comment on matches I haven't been to, but this is absolute gobbledygook.

You're saying Tamworth weren't brilliant, which makes the fact they still walloped us 4-0 even more concerning, you then say we're not as bad as we think we are despite getting hammered by the league leaders who weren't firing on all cylinders? That suggests they still thrashed us with mininal effort and that we are exactly as bad as we think we are.

The only thing I can decipher from this nonsense is that we are incapable of playing football, but yet we're not that bad? :crazy:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:44 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:15 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:

With regards to the appointment of Gowling, it seems like the board were thinking more of 'we need someone with a clear philosophy to get this team back to its best' rather than 'we are in relegation trouble and we just need to stop up by any means possible'. So, I don't think the board think Gowling is working with a poor squad. But on the basis of results since the start of the year we appear to be pretty much the worst team in this league. If that's the case we need to decide if we do another BTB or we accept we are probably going down. We'd probably need a fans forum or an extra AGM first and it would have to be done soon, December is a bad time for fund raising, January is too late. It would have to be November.
Never thought of it like that, but how sad that we are comfortably the worst team in the league over the whole year so far and it’s Mid October!!

Lots of us get some flack for being too negative at times but honestly when was the last time you came away from a game actually enjoying it, probs New Years Day!

Some say it would not be a real issue going down, but for me we need to do everything we possibly can to stay in this league and re build again. Only time will tell if JG is the guy to do this but we really do need him to perform in coming months whether that’s tactically, motivationally or wheeling and dealing I don’t really care.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:

Brian Clough would have got something out of this team.

He'd have set us up 4-4-2, and said win the ball, don't lose the fucking ball, no further instructions young man.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:56 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:37 pm
It's not often I comment on matches I haven't been to, but this is absolute gobbledygook.

You're saying Tamworth weren't brilliant, which makes the fact they still walloped us 4-0 even more concerning, you then say we're not as bad as we think we are despite getting hammered by the league leaders who weren't firing on all cylinders? That suggests they still thrashed us with mininal effort and that we are exactly as bad as we think we are.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:05 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
No, we don't do another BTB.

We already had a record one and there is only so much you can squeeze out of 1,000 fans. It's a tiny amount of people in reality.

The only way to increase income is better commercial revenue and better gates. The people of Darlington never supported the club in large enough numbers, at any time during fan ownership even when we were winning every week. No chance of bigger gates now is there, even if we win 10 in a row.

The harsh reality is that we have the club we deserve, the income we have, and if we go down then so be it, tough luck.

I said it before but I'm sick of being Budget FC, it's all we ever go on about.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:39 pm

Just watched the goals...

First one, we concede from a long throw, a tactic that consistently works against our powder puff defending. A tactic that we never employ effectively against the opposition though.

The second goal OMG what were we doing?

The other thing to note is the last 3 goals were strikes from outside of the box. How is the keeper being beaten 3 times from outside the box in one match? I'm confident Taylor would have got a strong hand on a couple of those.

In 40 years of watching Darlo I don't think I've seen us score 3 outside of the box goals in one match too many times, because we've always been the team that wants to walk it into the net.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:54 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:37 pm
dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:49 pm
Thoughts on today;

The only thing I can decipher from this nonsense is that we are incapable of playing football, but yet we're not that bad? :crazy:
These were only random musings on what I perceived yesterday. However, you have extrapolated some self contradictions which do have other possible conclusions. "We're not as bad as we think we are" is a reference to the doom and gloom monsters who think we cannot avoid relegation. Don't get me wrong - it is a real possibility but not nailed on.
I didn't say Tamworth weren't firing on all cylinders - Ive not seen them before so have no idea whether that was their best or not.
Nowhere did I say we were incapable of playing football! I did point to some of the basics which we didn't do - I am sure we are capable of them but have no idea whether we will implement them.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:04 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:05 pm

We already had a record one and there is only so much you can squeeze out of 1,000 fans. It's a tiny amount of people in reality.

The only way to increase income is better commercial revenue and better gates. The people of Darlington never supported the club in large enough numbers, at any time during fan ownership even when we were winning every week. No chance of bigger gates now is there, even if we win 10 in a row.

The harsh reality is that we have the club we deserve, the income we have, and if we go down then so be it, tough luck.

The reality is that most clubs in this league are squeezing money out of one owner to keep afloat, we have 1,000 owners. In comparison to other teams, our owners don't put enough money into the club.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:27 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:04 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

The reality is that most clubs in this league are squeezing money out of one owner to keep afloat, we have 1,000 owners. In comparison to other teams, our owners don't put enough money into the club.
They do. We have adequate resources to compete at this level.

Don’t confuse our terrible position with not having enough money. It’s been bad management.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:26 pm

Quakers2009 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:09 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
We've got Quakers2009 saying "I think something is going wrong, Taylor & Felix would likely vouch for that." ⬅️ Would they? Are they more important than the club? Taylor seems to have a beef which he is happy to make public (because he was dropped) whilst Felix wanted away - neither of these things seem that important. Both of these things happen all the time at football clubs.

I would say one senior player leaving, plus another frozen out, whilst three backroom staff all depart (two of which do not have other job-offers) does not sound like a happy camp to me.

Infact, judging by their activities on Twitter, it looks as though some of the departing staff feel a little aggrieved by the way TT has been treated.
I wish Taylor would stop stirring things up by telling people that he’s been hard done by, this isn’t helping anyone and most likely not helping him to get back in goal. Taylor has been fortunate up to now by virtually having a guaranteed place in our starting 11, but now he’s like the rest, he’s part of a squad and has to accept this. Also - seeing as the new goalie played previously then it seems obvious that Taylor wasn’t dropped for this game.

This is football! Taylor has lost his place at this point in time and needs to deal with this fact without moaning on in public.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:17 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:26 pm
Quakers2009 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:09 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

I wish Taylor would stop stirring things up by telling people that he’s been hard done by, this isn’t helping anyone and most likely not helping him to get back in goal. Taylor has been fortunate up to now by virtually having a guaranteed place in our starting 11, but now he’s like the rest, he’s part of a squad and has to accept this. Also - seeing as the new goalie played previously then it seems obvious that Taylor wasn’t dropped for this game.

This is football! Taylor has lost his place at this point in time and needs to deal with this fact without moaning on in public.
Could someone actually clarify what the rumour is exactly? There must be more to it than him just feeling hard done to because he’s not been picked.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:37 pm

"Could someone actually clarify what the rumour is exactly? There must be more to it than him just feeling hard done to because he’s not been picked."

⬆️ I don't go on Twitter and suchlike so I'm ignorant of any Twitter spats, but before the last home game Taylor was moaning on about how he only found out on Twitter about him being dropped for the game. He did this in public so I don't mind repeating this on here.

Now, according to another poster on this thread it seems that he did this again yesterday, although to me, seeing as he'd already lost his place previously, he hadn't been dropped - as this time round, he hadn't been picked, because now we have another keeper at the club and his position isn't a foregone conclusion.

That's all I know - there might be more.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:17 am

On reflection, if you break us down player by player, there aren’t many who you would single out as not being good enough for NLN football.
TT - solid keeper
Griffiths- good RB
Lees - solid CB
Lawlor - mostly solid CB
Sukar - mostly solid CB or LB
Mustoe - mostly solid LB?
Platt - very good DM
Hatfield - very good all-round CM
Liddle - jury out for me
Moke - keeps possession ticking over but not much attacking threat
Rivers - deserves a role in the side?
Salkeld - surprisingly our best player in recent games but wasted at wing back?
Nelson - good finisher but better running with the ball at goal
Hazel - starved of service but equally not looking like scoring even when he gets it atm

These players, or the bulk of them, are surely good enough to be more competitive, unless the NLN standard has shot up massively, which I doubt. The frustrating thing is other teams, even the poor ones, make up for any lack of quality by being well organised and playing to their strengths. I think we needed a new manager who could sort this out as a priority.
My solution would be to send the loanees back and focus on tightening up at the back and scoring goals
My solution based on current personnel
Taylor
Griffiths Lees Lawlor Mustoe/Sukar
Platt Moke
Nagandu Hatfield Salkeld
Nelson

Nelson could drop back to a deeper 10 if we found a CF or Hazel comes on. Rivers best as a 10 too imo

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:27 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

Have to say I agree with this. So many people seem to know exactly what every club in the league's budget is. How?
In any case, the budget is only a small part of it. I was told by a Coventry director they had the 4th lowest budget in the Championship last year while I doubt Luton were above them. Boro and Sunderland will certainly have been at the top end of that particular table.
Let's hope that the new management team can do it correctly and do some wheeling and dealing to improve what we have and get those who are underperforming to better themselves.
Let's face it, even if we do an extra BTB we will not make enough money to bring in enough, (if any), players of a better standard to change things in a couple of weeks flat, which we really could do with.