Tamworth V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tamworth V Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:34 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:17 am
On reflection, if you break us down player by player, there aren’t many who you would single out as not being good enough for NLN football.
TT - solid keeper
Griffiths- good RB
Lees - solid CB
Lawlor - mostly solid CB
Sukar - mostly solid CB or LB
Mustoe - mostly solid LB?
Platt - very good DM
Hatfield - very good all-round CM
Liddle - jury out for me
Moke - keeps possession ticking over but not much attacking threat
Rivers - deserves a role in the side?
Salkeld - surprisingly our best player in recent games but wasted at wing back?
Nelson - good finisher but better running with the ball at goal
Hazel - starved of service but equally not looking like scoring even when he gets it atm

These players, or the bulk of them, are surely good enough to be more competitive, unless the NLN standard has shot up massively, which I doubt. The frustrating thing is other teams, even the poor ones, make up for any lack of quality by being well organised and playing to their strengths. I think we needed a new manager who could sort this out as a priority.
My solution would be to send the loanees back and focus on tightening up at the back and scoring goals
My solution based on current personnel
Taylor
Griffiths Lees Lawlor Mustoe/Sukar
Platt Moke
Nagandu Hatfield Salkeld
Nelson

Nelson could drop back to a deeper 10 if we found a CF or Hazel comes on. Rivers best as a 10 too imo
To confusing that line up, I would go for,
Taylor,
Griffiths Lawlor lees Hedley,
Rivers Platt Hatfield Nagando,
Salkeld Nelson.

442 the team is crying out for organisation, I’ve put Nagando in there but never seen him play.
Hedley IMO is better than Sukar or Mustoe.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:41 am

I like this too. Only issue is Hedley is very right footed to play LB. Also whenever we play 442 there’s a loud consensus that ‘we keep getting overrun in midfield’
I don’t like 352 but JG seems intent on playing it as did Alun throughout pre-season hence his addition of Windass. Is he injured btw?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:43 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
On reflection, if you break us down player by player, there aren’t many who you would single out as not being good enough for NLN football.
TT - solid keeper
Griffiths- good RB
Lees - solid CB
Lawlor - mostly solid CB
Platt - very good DM
Liddle - jury out for me
Hazel - starved of service but equally not looking like scoring even when he gets it atm

These players, or the bulk of them, are surely good enough to be more competitive, unless the NLN standard has shot up massively, which I doubt. The frustrating thing is other teams, even the poor ones, make up for any lack of quality by being well organised and playing to their strengths. I think we needed a new manager who could sort this out as a priority.
My solution would be to send the loanees back and focus on tightening up at the back and scoring goals
Taylor
Platt Moke
Nagandu Hatfield Salkeld
Nelson

Nelson could drop back to a deeper 10 if we found a CF or Hazel comes on. Rivers best as a 10 too imo
I disagree with you I’m afraid. The only player who is definitely worth his place at the current moment is Will Hatfield. The others are either underperforming or just not good enough. Some, such as Lawlor, Sukar Moke and Hazel were doing well in a good team in the first half of last season, but have been well below that level more recently.
In general the signings made in the summer have been disappointing. I expected Lees and Platt to strengthen the team, but they have been average at best, Mustoe has looked good at times going forward but not so good when defending. Salkeld and Windass don’t seem to be good enough and Curry has been injured most of the time.
Get back to basics with a simple 4.4.2 formation, stop trying to play out from the back and try to sign a striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into the game. I know some will slate me for it, but someone like Luke Cassidy is what we need to be a physical presence up front.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:57 am

Cassidy was a workhorse, I'd have him in the team right now that's for sure, but any striker/goalscorer would be welcome right now. The two we have are just not cutting the mustard, although the service they get is poor poor poor.

Hazel, he just doesn't look right at all, he has no confidence and he"s not "on the ball" - literally. He seems v slow in his thinking time too.

Whilst Nelson looks good in short bursts but perhaps not up to full power.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:07 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:43 am
grimsbyquaker wrote:
TT - solid keeper
Griffiths- good RB
Lees - solid CB
Lawlor - mostly solid CB
Platt - very good DM
Liddle - jury out for me

Taylor
Platt Moke
Nagandu Hatfield Salkeld
Nelson

I disagree with you I’m afraid. The only player who is definitely worth his place at the current moment is Will Hatfield. The others are either underperforming or just not good enough. Some, such as Lawlor, Sukar Moke and Hazel were doing well in a good team in the first half of last season, but have been well below that level more recently.
In general the signings made in the summer have been disappointing. I expected Lees and Platt to strengthen the team, but they have been average at best, Mustoe has looked good at times going forward but not so good when defending. Salkeld and Windass don’t seem to be good enough and Curry has been injured most of the time.
Get back to basics with a simple 4.4.2 formation, stop trying to play out from the back and try to sign a striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into the game. I know some will slate me for it, but someone like Luke Cassidy is what we need to be a physical presence up front.
Agree. Think the majority of those players could not argue that over the last say 30 games they played they clearly have not been good enough, and the new ones based on 13 so not a “blip” but consistent underperformance. That is the most worrying thing, we currently have a squad which clearly is not good enough. An odd exception of course, like Hatfield, but if they were all up for transfer, how many top 10 clubs would be in a rush!

Of course, a manager who can organise, play to strengths, hard to beat and get them motivated would make a difference. THe difference for example that Fenton made at Blyth with roughly same players was easy to see when we played them late on last season.

Whether JG is that man, I seriously hope he is, but watching the goals on Sat especially no 2 it’s difficult to see at the moment. We must start seeing a difference in next few games or we will be in deep trouble.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:53 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
TT - solid keeper
Griffiths- good RB
Lees - solid CB
Lawlor - mostly solid CB
Platt - very good DM
Liddle - jury out for me

Taylor
Platt Moke
Nagandu Hatfield Salkeld
Nelson

The key word there for defenders is "mostly" as when (not if) they make a mistake, it costs goals. If extra coaching from Gowling, who was a solid defender himself, doesn 't work - they must go.

Given that we will "gift" at least 1 goal per game, it is imperative that we have players who are an attacking threat - so Moke & Hazel have to go too.

Loanees may be a stop-gap solution but they have little or no loyalty to the club and will nick off when a better offer comes along - Barnes being the latest example. Would love to think our Academy provides a pool of talent, but their route to 1st team is blocked by loanees coming in - like GK Robson. TT is capable & if he needs "geeing up" with competition for his place, why not "blood" our young keeper. Both Hedley & Liddle have the same issue & need a spell in the same position to get established. The trouble is that this is a long-term solution & we are running out of time already this season.

Nella & Salkeld are worth persevering with up front but in desperate need a target CF to feed crosses to & feed off. Hopefully Josh has a few contacts to go to but let's give him the rest of this season to sort out the mess we are currently in.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:13 am

jjljks wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:53 am

The key word there for defenders is "mostly" as when (not if) they make a mistake, it costs goals. If extra coaching from Gowling, who was a solid defender himself, doesn 't work - they must go.

Given that we will "gift" at least 1 goal per game, it is imperative that we have players who are an attacking threat - so Moke & Hazel have to go too.

Loanees may be a stop-gap solution but they have little or no loyalty to the club and will nick off when a better offer comes along - Barnes being the latest example. Would love to think our Academy provides a pool of talent, but their route to 1st team is blocked by loanees coming in - like GK Robson. TT is capable & if he needs "geeing up" with competition for his place, why not "blood" our young keeper. Both Hedley & Liddle have the same issue & need a spell in the same position to get established. The trouble is that this is a long-term solution & we are running out of time already this season.

Nella & Salkeld are worth persevering with up front but in desperate need a target CF to feed crosses to & feed off. Hopefully Josh has a few contacts to go to but let's give him the rest of this season to sort out the mess we are currently in.
From what was reported at the time we did not seek to extend the loan period for Barnes so I don’t think it fair to accuse him of nicking off for a better offer. As for the pool of talent in our Academy, I think it is fanciful to suggest that there are players there who would be anywhere near ready to step up to the first team. These are 16/18 year olds still learning about the game, and for me it would be just crazy to pitch them into a struggling team, unless they had exceptional ability.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 am

I get the want to go 'back to basics' from a lot of fans, but I fail to see how 4-4-2 is some sort of panacea which instantly solves the fact we concede goals for fun and aren't scoring. Looking at the goals we've conceded against Bishop Stortford, Scarborough, Gloucester and Tamworth, I don't see which of those goals we don't concede because we're playing 4-4-2. It's not as if people are doubling up on WB's in wide areas and we're the victim of crosses into the box again and again. Those goals in those games are weak players not showing leadership, not taking a tactical foul when needed, not clearing their lines or making weak first contacts when defending, half of them actually come through the centre of the pitch. We played 4-4-2 plenty last season and were overrun through the centre of MF, didn't defend balls into the box well, and were wasteful when we won the ball back often hopefully clearing it upfield with no real strategy as to how we'd avoid it coming straight back.

As for going forwards I don't really think 4-4-2 improves our issues here without personnel changes. Again we played 4-4-2 plenty last season with Felix one side and Rivers the other and the issues were there, Rivers can't beat a man for pace anymore so thinking about traditional 4-4-2 with 2 traditional wingers who can beat their men and put a ball in the box, can only go down the right hand side either through Salkeld or Ngandu (if Ngandu has some pace about him). Then presuming they actually beat their man and swing a cross in, we still have the same issue of not having players in the box who win headers. So the cross either has to be inch perfect or the CB has to make such a large error as to present our forwards with a chance.

In all honesty, I don't really know what the answer is. 4-4-2 I don't really think we have the wingers for or the larger CF to make it work, plus there are concerns about us getting over run in midfield. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 we have always seemed to either play too wide and isolate the CF on their own, or play too narrow out of possession and surrender an easy out ball to the opposition to relieve pressure whenever they win it back. 3 at the back hasn't stemmed the flow of goals against, and we don't particularly have the WBs / forwards to play it effectively.

If you look at our team on paper based on previous seasons at this level I think most would expect us to be mid table, some good and consistent players at this level in there Taylor, Griffiths, Lees, Platt, Hatfield and Hazel. But we just aren't really getting a tune out of any of them. I think it highlights how confused some of the summer recruitment was in terms of game plan. I don't envy JG job atm because I think whichever way he want's to play 4 at the back or 3, 2 upfront or 1 he needs to change the personnel to be able to do it, which is always more difficult mid season.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:42 am

In a team that's crying out for a proven goal scorer, I find it amusing people want shot of Hazel, who is a proven goal scorer at every level hes played at.
Yes he's having a bad run but you can bet if he left he would soon find his shooting boots again and people would bemoan the fact we let him go.
The only way we should consider letting him go is if we get a good offer for him and use that money to get someone better in. Highly unlikely to happen though.
He showed his best form with 2 up front last season, if that's not a clue to the manager of how to get the best out of him then I don't know what is.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:51 am

loan_star wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:42 am
In a team that's crying out for a proven goal scorer, I find it amusing people want shot of Hazel, who is a proven goal scorer at every level hes played at.
Yes he's having a bad run but you can bet if he left he would soon find his shooting boots again and people would bemoan the fact we let him go.
The only way we should consider letting him go is if we get a good offer for him and use that money to get someone better in. Highly unlikely to happen though.
He showed his best form with 2 up front last season, if that's not a clue to the manager of how to get the best out of him then I don't know what is.
It needs a proven goalscorer but it also needs someone with the physical presence to do all of the other work associated with a number 9. I personally think we have had enough time to conclude that Hazel isn’t that guy. Prior to Beck leaving he was playing in a very good Darlo side that would create 3/4 chances per game for him. I don’t see that being replicated with this team any time soon. All strikers go through spells of not scoring but it’s the rest of his game that concerns me the most.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:23 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:13 am
As for the pool of talent in our Academy, I think it is fanciful to suggest that there are players there who would be anywhere near ready to step up to the first team. These are 16/18 year olds still learning about the game, and for me it would be just crazy to pitch them into a struggling team, unless they had exceptional ability.
I think it's optimistic to think a NLN academy can produce players good enough full stop tbh.

It doesn't have the pull / scouting capacity. Our talent pipeline is those being released from above.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:57 pm

So when Alun was saying’we knaa what we’ve got in there Ray’ did he genuinely believe that we had a competitive team with good characters etc or was he just trying to get us all pumped up? When we hit our poor run he then talked about ‘the lads are fragile’ etc. it seems like those worried about our poor form spilling over into this season have been proved right.
Teams languishing like us do often turn it around, however e.g Buxton last season and, indeed, Hereford under JG. Surely we have enough ‘leaders’ in our ranks to help dig us out of the hole? My worry is that the ‘leaders’ are the more elderly squad members that JG appears to want to replace with ‘da yoof’ on loans

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:46 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:51 am

It needs a proven goalscorer but it also needs someone with the physical presence to do all of the other work associated with a number 9. I personally think we have had enough time to conclude that Hazel isn’t that guy. Prior to Beck leaving he was playing in a very good Darlo side that would create 3/4 chances per game for him. I don’t see that being replicated with this team any time soon. All strikers go through spells of not scoring but it’s the rest of his game that concerns me the most.
So you sign a number 9 capable of doing that to bring the best out of a proven goal scorer alongside him! You don't ditch a bloke who got loads of goals last season just because he doesn't have the right partner alongside him.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:02 pm

Hazel is a “natural goal scorer” and that doesn’t disappear. What he isn’t and never will be is that loan striker who closes down, wins headers, comes short, links play and brings others into the game. Nor do you need him to be if the right types of players are around him. He’s proven that for what 5/6 consistent seasons at 20+ goals.

The key, we all know is that ever since we lost Beck we haven’t been able to attract the type of centre forward we need to bring out the best of him. AA knew that, JG knows that and am certain would sign one tomorrow if it was feasible.

The grief and names Hazel has been getting recently across social media is crazy. Of course he needs to do more himself but let’s give the guy some support.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:38 pm

Drinking game - every time you read the word "Beck" on this forum, have a drink.

Hic! 🍺
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:50 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:46 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:51 am

So you sign a number 9 capable of doing that to bring the best out of a proven goal scorer alongside him! You don't ditch a bloke who got loads of goals last season just because he doesn't have the right partner alongside him.
From what I’ve read from Hereford fans, playing two up front isn’t something Gowling ever really did there. I think he’s more likely to want someone who can do Hazel’s job better, rather than change the formation and possibly our style of play to accommodate him.
Last edited by CrazyDarlo on Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:58 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:38 pm
Drinking game - every time you read the word "Beck" on this forum, have a drink.

Hic! 🍺
He's a one man promotion table topping machine!

Look at Solihull Moors fortunes since he left versus ours!

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:22 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:54 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:39 am
Yarblockos' point was the one we were debating on the way back from the game and is key to whether we stay up or not. Do we have a decent enough squad who have been badly coached and therefore Gowling can get enough out of them, or is the squad so poor that a new manager couldn't get much our of them anyway? Sadly after yesterday I suspect the latter. You don't lose 5-0, 4-0 and 4-0 in half your away games if you're not an incompetent squad. Josh says 'We'll get it right'. Unfortunately I've lost hope after yesterday. I don't blame Gowling at all for trying different things. We're stuck with the majority of this team on contracts, no money to turn it around and for me no green shoots of recovery.

If you reprogrammed the Deep Blue supercomputer (which was programmed with all the algorythms and information from the greatest chess players in history to produce an unbeatable chessbot) with the greatest managers in history it would fail to get anything out of this team. After a couple of games the AI would self-destruct and blow up the surrounding area knowing it had failed.
Brian Clough would have got something out of this team.

He'd have set us up 4-4-2, and said win the ball, don't lose the fucking ball, no further instructions young man.
Well I think he'd have added something like "I pay you to stick the ball between the two white posts at the far end". (He could be a bit blunt at times).

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:44 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:02 pm
Hazel is a “natural goal scorer” and that doesn’t disappear. What he isn’t and never will be is that loan striker who closes down, wins headers, comes short, links play and brings others into the game. Nor do you need him to be if the right types of players are around him. He’s proven that for what 5/6 consistent seasons at 20+ goals.

The key, we all know is that ever since we lost Beck we haven’t been able to attract the type of centre forward we need to bring out the best of him. AA knew that, JG knows that and am certain would sign one tomorrow if it was feasible.

The grief and names Hazel has been getting recently across social media is crazy. Of course he needs to do more himself but let’s give the guy some support.
Not too often I agree with you but you're bang on there QL.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:43 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Hic! 🍺
Does it have to be Beck's or would any drink do?

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:21 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:59 pm
darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:46 pm
All of the blame cannot be put at Armstrongs door as i think a lot of the players have really underperformed as well they should be trying to work there socks off but for reasons only known to themselves seem to just be going through the motions.
Possibly because Armstrong left them completely devoid of confidence by bitching about the quality of our team compared to his beloved beck, leesley and dodds
Then they should have been busting a gut to prove him wrong. A 10 month sulk is taking things a bit far.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:02 pm

jjljks wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:43 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Hic! 🍺
Does it have to be Beck's or would any drink do?
Any drink mentioned would do at present; Taylors Landlord - Cameron's Armstrong Bitter - Nelson's Stout. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. There must be a Hazel's brewery somewhere that does a light ale or a promised winter warmer. Who's round is it anyway?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:27 pm

The idea is to sit at home reading this forum with your favourite tipple by your side. Then every time someone writes the word "Beck" - you take a slug.

Enjoy ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:13 am

I prefer a glass of wine so how about a nice glass of Malbec or if you prefer a Danny Rosé.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:27 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:13 am
I prefer a glass of wine so how about a nice glass of Malbec or if you prefer a Danny Rosé.
Wine :thumbup: Whine :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!