Tommy Taylor

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DavidCurriesMullet
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:16 am

Was interesting listening in to the Spenny Scouts sat behind us on Tuesday night. They reckoned our weak area was Griffiths/Salkeld area, and they should be targeting there. Also thought we were wide open through middle when we tried to press with Ngandu first half, but better for change at half time and introduction of Lindley.

bga
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by bga » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:40 am

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:16 am
Was interesting listening in to the Spenny Scouts sat behind us on Tuesday night. They reckoned our weak area was Griffiths/Salkeld area, and they should be targeting there. Also thought we were wide open through middle when we tried to press with Ngandu first half, but better for change at half time and introduction of Lindley.
Presume you have passed on this vital information to Josh!

My opinion
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:32 pm

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:16 am
Was interesting listening in to the Spenny Scouts sat behind us on Tuesday night. They reckoned our weak area was Griffiths/Salkeld area, and they should be targeting there. Also thought we were wide open through middle when we tried to press with Ngandu first half, but better for change at half time and introduction of Lindley.
Would have e liked to have seen the assessment that they gave to the club regarding Scunthorpe.

JE93
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:57 pm

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:16 am
Was interesting listening in to the Spenny Scouts sat behind us on Tuesday night. They reckoned our weak area was Griffiths/Salkeld area, and they should be targeting there. Also thought we were wide open through middle when we tried to press with Ngandu first half, but better for change at half time and introduction of Lindley.
Be interesting to see which position Blaine Rowe fills. Not sure if he's a Right Sided CBor RWB presumably he slots in on Saturday and perhaps play Griffiths wider in a more familiar position.

Thought Lindley looked very tidy when he came on. Definitely gave us more on the ball. Just need to be brave enough to play through the thirds or find CF we can play long to early. I know Hazel gets a lot of stick but what he was supposed to do with most of what was played forward on Tuesday night god only knows.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:44 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:57 pm
DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:16 am
Was interesting listening in to the Spenny Scouts sat behind us on Tuesday night. They reckoned our weak area was Griffiths/Salkeld area, and they should be targeting there. Also thought we were wide open through middle when we tried to press with Ngandu first half, but better for change at half time and introduction of Lindley.
Be interesting to see which position Blaine Rowe fills. Not sure if he's a Right Sided CBor RWB presumably he slots in on Saturday and perhaps play Griffiths wider in a more familiar position.

Thought Lindley looked very tidy when he came on. Definitely gave us more on the ball. Just need to be brave enough to play through the thirds or find CF we can play long to early. I know Hazel gets a lot of stick but what he was supposed to do with most of what was played forward on Tuesday night god only knows.
Watched a couple of videos of him at right back or right wing back getting forward and putting crosses in.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 12613
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:57 pm

Is Windass still at the club or has he been sent back?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
CrazyDarlo
Posts: 1186
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:12 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:57 pm
Is Windass still at the club or has he been sent back?
He was on the bench last night.

Quakers2009
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 4:37 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Quakers2009 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 pm

e4sby wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 am
Quakers2009 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:32 pm
e4sby wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:09 pm
Spyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:42 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:32 pm

There’s probably a number of players Gowling would like to get rid of, the worry for me is that we may not be able to offload them. Nobody in the NLN will be signing players not good enough for us so they’ll have to drop down. Either they go out on loan and we have to pay a portion of their wages for them to play for another club or the player agrees to a transfer elsewhere, probably on a lower wage.
You say that, but we've allegedly received two offers for Taylor, both from NLN clubs.
And if we receive a small fee and replace him with someone of the same standard cheaper so we can use the funds to strengthen elsewhere surely that is good management? Especially when the budget has been poorly spent!
If we were playing Football Manager.
Or if the new manager has very little left in the budget and has to move a few out...

With Felix sold, Barnes sent back to York, Hannah returned to Boro, Taylor frozen out plus another three senior players (rumoured to be Lees, Sukar, Moke) offered to other clubs, you have to question if this is the right move when we're sinking into a relegation dogfight.

Now I'm all for a new manager trying to make room to bring in a few new players, but this wheeling & dealing that DJ alluded to at the Fans Q&A would absolutely not have been the plan upon appointment.

& why would this have not been the plan? Because we have no money.

It's ironic that isolating Taylor, the best GK we've had for years and probably on-track to be POTS (not many competitors but he played well!), to bring in Robson has and will cause us more harm than good.

There's more to it than just what's on the field...

JE93
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:35 pm

Quakers2009 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 pm
e4sby wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 am
Quakers2009 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:32 pm
e4sby wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:09 pm
Spyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:42 pm

You say that, but we've allegedly received two offers for Taylor, both from NLN clubs.
And if we receive a small fee and replace him with someone of the same standard cheaper so we can use the funds to strengthen elsewhere surely that is good management? Especially when the budget has been poorly spent!
If we were playing Football Manager.
Or if the new manager has very little left in the budget and has to move a few out...

With Felix sold, Barnes sent back to York, Hannah returned to Boro, Taylor frozen out plus another three senior players (rumoured to be Lees, Sukar, Moke) offered to other clubs, you have to question if this is the right move when we're sinking into a relegation dogfight.

Now I'm all for a new manager trying to make room to bring in a few new players, but this wheeling & dealing that DJ alluded to at the Fans Q&A would absolutely not have been the plan upon appointment.

& why would this have not been the plan? Because we have no money.

It's ironic that isolating Taylor, the best GK we've had for years and probably on-track to be POTS (not many competitors but he played well!), to bring in Robson has and will cause us more harm than good.

There's more to it than just what's on the field...
You're for wheeling and dealing, but against the new manager bringing in new players? Why would bringing in new players not have been the plan when he got the job? Appointing a new scout indicates that you're looking at players and ways to improve the squad. But to make room in the budget for some to come in, others have to leave. That's fairly typical isn't it?

Wanting to move on players who have been part of a team who have won, is it three games this calendar year? shouldn't be a shock. I'm not saying I think Gowling is the answer but I think he deserves time and a fair crack at the whip. Armstrong had the summer to prep the team, make his signings and left us with a horribly unbalanced squad, with no in game structure who started the season playing a completely different formation to the one we seemingly stuck to for the majority of pre season. Coaching a new system into the team will take time.

There are square pegs in round holes atm but is that really unexpected? We had an unbalanced squad when he came in, the new manager wants to build a way of playing, sets up the system and then looks for the right additions to improve it. Keeping things status quo was keeping a team and system which had won basically nothing this calendar year. We've been 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 most of the calendar year with fairly dire results.

Personally, I think Taylor is a decent NLN keeper but if a new manager thinks he can make a saying on his wages and deploy them better elsewhere that's his perogative. We need a couple of wingbacks and a target man CF to make this formation work properly. Hopefully Rowe can fill one of positions.

e4sby
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:16 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by e4sby » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:50 am

Quakers2009 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 pm
e4sby wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 am
Quakers2009 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:32 pm
e4sby wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:09 pm
Spyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:42 pm

You say that, but we've allegedly received two offers for Taylor, both from NLN clubs.
And if we receive a small fee and replace him with someone of the same standard cheaper so we can use the funds to strengthen elsewhere surely that is good management? Especially when the budget has been poorly spent!
If we were playing Football Manager.
Or if the new manager has very little left in the budget and has to move a few out...

With Felix sold, Barnes sent back to York, Hannah returned to Boro, Taylor frozen out plus another three senior players (rumoured to be Lees, Sukar, Moke) offered to other clubs, you have to question if this is the right move when we're sinking into a relegation dogfight.

Now I'm all for a new manager trying to make room to bring in a few new players, but this wheeling & dealing that DJ alluded to at the Fans Q&A would absolutely not have been the plan upon appointment.

& why would this have not been the plan? Because we have no money.

It's ironic that isolating Taylor, the best GK we've had for years and probably on-track to be POTS (not many competitors but he played well!), to bring in Robson has and will cause us more harm than good.

There's more to it than just what's on the field...
We currently have 6 new Gowling signings in the squad. I would find it hard to believe that this is offset by the departures of Felix, Barnes and Hannah along with GK and fitness coaches. Why wouldn't there be this wheeling and dealing?

I'm sure he will want to bring in a striker and left wing back so naturally he will have to move out players that have been great servants. I have no problems whatsoever if he's transfer listed Taylor and offer others to other clubs if it enables him to bring in better players that improves the first eleven.

I agree Taylor has been out best permanent keeper for a good few years. I've always thought we should save £££ in this area and use a loan keeper which we have previous with Pears, Turner and Talbot.

If there's a chance to sign Kieran Burton permanently and means moving out Lees and Sukar then so be it... after seeing him last season and on Tuesday he's definitely an improvement on both.

There's no argument that Alun left us with a poor unbalanced squad, why he thought it was a good idea to have a squad with 3 right backs only he will know. He didn't replace Mark Beck (which was difficult for any manager) or ever find the commanding,vociferous CB.

Fans want changes to the squad made but then also don't want changes and when Gowling leaves players out there's a meltdown... it's mental!

If our form or league position haven't improved by mid December then i'll start to doubt Josh's ability to turn things around, at this moment in time i'm fully behind him and the changes he will make now and in the next few weeks.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 14066
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:58 am

Quakers2009 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 pm
e4sby wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 am
Quakers2009 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:32 pm
e4sby wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:09 pm
Spyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:42 pm

You say that, but we've allegedly received two offers for Taylor, both from NLN clubs.
And if we receive a small fee and replace him with someone of the same standard cheaper so we can use the funds to strengthen elsewhere surely that is good management? Especially when the budget has been poorly spent!
If we were playing Football Manager.
Or if the new manager has very little left in the budget and has to move a few out...

With Felix sold, Barnes sent back to York, Hannah returned to Boro, Taylor frozen out plus another three senior players (rumoured to be Lees, Sukar, Moke) offered to other clubs, you have to question if this is the right move when we're sinking into a relegation dogfight.

Now I'm all for a new manager trying to make room to bring in a few new players, but this wheeling & dealing that DJ alluded to at the Fans Q&A would absolutely not have been the plan upon appointment.

& why would this have not been the plan? Because we have no money.

It's ironic that isolating Taylor, the best GK we've had for years and probably on-track to be POTS (not many competitors but he played well!), to bring in Robson has and will cause us more harm than good.

There's more to it than just what's on the field...
To say that TT has the potential to be this season's player of the season is in my opinion is ridiculous. I agree there are very few candidates, but certainly Will Hatfield has been pretty good since his return. I don't get some fans so called love of TT, he has been poor for a while now. He certainly has potential, but for me so far he hasn't showed much so far.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 12613
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:40 am

Why do people keep using language like "Taylor has been frozen out"? I've yet to see anyone present any actual evidence that this is the case and that he hasn't just been dropped because the manager thinks we're better off with someone else in his position.

Nobody is making these emotive references about other players who aren't getting a game, this season or last. I'm not saying its not the case but nobody has yet provided any evidence that this what's happened. Has he been told to train away from the rest of the squad, for example?

As someone above pointed out, many of the loanee goalkeepers we've had over the last few years have been as good, if not better, than the keepers we've had on our books. Robson may not be that (or he may turn out to be once the rest of the team is a little more settled), but I don't see a problem with this approach if it allows us to address some of the squads other weaknesses.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:59 am

Spyman wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:40 am
Why do people keep using language like "Taylor has been frozen out"? I've yet to see anyone present any actual evidence that this is the case and that he hasn't just been dropped because the manager thinks we're better off with someone else in his position.

Nobody is making these emotive references about other players who aren't getting a game, this season or last. I'm not saying its not the case but nobody has yet provided any evidence that this what's happened. Has he been told to train away from the rest of the squad, for example?

As someone above pointed out, many of the loanee goalkeepers we've had over the last few years have been as good, if not better, than the keepers we've had on our books. Robson may not be that (or he may turn out to be once the rest of the team is a little more settled), but I don't see a problem with this approach if it allows us to address some of the squads other weaknesses.
Got to the game late on Tuesday a little late, so I’m not sure if TT was there, but he certainly hasn’t been around for the home games, that’s where the speculation starts, other out field players turn up even when not picked

quakersam
Posts: 4888
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: MSG

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by quakersam » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:10 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:59 am
Got to the game late on Tuesday a little late, so I’m not sure if TT was there, but he certainly hasn’t been around for the home games, that’s where the speculation starts, other out field players turn up even when not picked
He took part in the pre-match warm up so yes he was there. He was also present for the Kings Lynn game.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 6673
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:28 am

This little story has grown too big and I feel that some people are mischief making in the way that it keeps rumbling on.

Taylor was peeved because he'd heard on twitter that he'd been dropped before he was told, i.e. things not being kept in house and not kept confidential. Yet he himself made this point public, therefore doing the same thing.

Furthermore, I wonder what he actually gleaned from twitter? That Darlo had signed a new keeper on loan? Did he actually find out from twitter that he wasn't playing on that first game? I mean Josh doesn't have to run new signings past T.T.

Obviously this could have been handled better - I don't deny that, but this thread has got a bit daft.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 12613
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:29 am

quakersam wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:10 am
Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:59 am
Got to the game late on Tuesday a little late, so I’m not sure if TT was there, but he certainly hasn’t been around for the home games, that’s where the speculation starts, other out field players turn up even when not picked
He took part in the pre-match warm up so yes he was there. He was also present for the Kings Lynn game.
Sounds very much like he's not been frozen out, then. Just out of favoour, which is totally normal and doesn't warrant all of the drama that some people are trying to stir up.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 12613
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Spyman » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:32 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:28 am
This little story has grown too big and I feel that some people are mischief making in the way that it keeps rumbling on.

Taylor was peeved because he'd heard on twitter that he'd been dropped before he was told, i.e. things not being kept in house and not kept confidential. Yet he himself made this point public, therefore doing the same thing.

Furthermore, I wonder what he actually gleaned from twitter? That Darlo had signed a new keeper on loan? Did he actually find out from twitter that he wasn't playing on that first game? I mean Josh doesn't have to run new signings past T.T.

Obviously this could have been handled better - I don't deny that, but this thread has got a bit daft.
Obviously nobody tweeted "Tommy Taylor isn't playing the next game because we'vee signed a new keeper", so if he was upset by a new signing in his position being announced on twitter before he, or the rest of the squad were told, then I think while he might understandably be a bit taken aback, doesn't really have any reason to feel hard done by.

Were Hazel and Nelson upset when Simms' signing was announced? Did Hatfield or Platt spit their dummy out when we signed a new midfielder?

Its football. Clubs sign new players, especially when the current crop are performing woefully.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakers2009
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 4:37 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Quakers2009 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:36 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:35 pm
Quakers2009 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 pm
e4sby wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 am
Quakers2009 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:32 pm
e4sby wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:09 pm


And if we receive a small fee and replace him with someone of the same standard cheaper so we can use the funds to strengthen elsewhere surely that is good management? Especially when the budget has been poorly spent!
If we were playing Football Manager.
Or if the new manager has very little left in the budget and has to move a few out...

With Felix sold, Barnes sent back to York, Hannah returned to Boro, Taylor frozen out plus another three senior players (rumoured to be Lees, Sukar, Moke) offered to other clubs, you have to question if this is the right move when we're sinking into a relegation dogfight.

Now I'm all for a new manager trying to make room to bring in a few new players, but this wheeling & dealing that DJ alluded to at the Fans Q&A would absolutely not have been the plan upon appointment.

& why would this have not been the plan? Because we have no money.

It's ironic that isolating Taylor, the best GK we've had for years and probably on-track to be POTS (not many competitors but he played well!), to bring in Robson has and will cause us more harm than good.

There's more to it than just what's on the field...
You're for wheeling and dealing, but against the new manager bringing in new players? Why would bringing in new players not have been the plan when he got the job? Appointing a new scout indicates that you're looking at players and ways to improve the squad. But to make room in the budget for some to come in, others have to leave. That's fairly typical isn't it?
I said I was against wheeling & dealing, but all for the new manager bringing in a few new players. Gowling has already brought in seven new faces with likely more to follow, especially as we're rumoured to have three or four players on the transfer list- there's a difference.

Quakers2009
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 4:37 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Quakers2009 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:46 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:58 am
Quakers2009 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 pm
e4sby wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 am
Quakers2009 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:32 pm
e4sby wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:09 pm


And if we receive a small fee and replace him with someone of the same standard cheaper so we can use the funds to strengthen elsewhere surely that is good management? Especially when the budget has been poorly spent!
If we were playing Football Manager.
Or if the new manager has very little left in the budget and has to move a few out...

With Felix sold, Barnes sent back to York, Hannah returned to Boro, Taylor frozen out plus another three senior players (rumoured to be Lees, Sukar, Moke) offered to other clubs, you have to question if this is the right move when we're sinking into a relegation dogfight.

Now I'm all for a new manager trying to make room to bring in a few new players, but this wheeling & dealing that DJ alluded to at the Fans Q&A would absolutely not have been the plan upon appointment.

& why would this have not been the plan? Because we have no money.

It's ironic that isolating Taylor, the best GK we've had for years and probably on-track to be POTS (not many competitors but he played well!), to bring in Robson has and will cause us more harm than good.

There's more to it than just what's on the field...
To say that TT has the potential to be this season's player of the season is in my opinion is ridiculous. I agree there are very few candidates, but certainly Will Hatfield has been pretty good since his return. I don't get some fans so called love of TT, he has been poor for a while now. He certainly has potential, but for me so far he hasn't showed much so far.
No, it isn't ridiculous, and no TT hasn't been poor for a while.

What is ridiculous is you saying he has potential - he is 30 years old.

The irony is, according to Ray's matchday preview, Robson is playing his last game tomorrow. So we've brought in a goalkeeper supposedly better than Taylor, but shipped eight goals in the process, losing three and drawing one.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 6673
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:02 am

⬆️ Per game both goalies have let in virtually the same this season. Not that it matters as too many other factors are at play.

Taylor - 21 in 11.
Robson 8 in 4
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Heaton out
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Heaton out » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:07 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:02 am
⬆️ Per game both goalies have let in virtually the same this season. Not that it matters as too many other factors are at play.

Taylor - 21 in 11.
Robson 8 in 4
Great reply and TT has been poor for a while in terms of he does not command his box, yes he is decent shop stopper but 2009s statement that he has been our best keeper for years is way off IMO

Before you fire back 2009 I just want to that add we are all entitled to our opinions but also entitled to disagree

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 6673
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 am

btw. Can I point out I'm not anti T.T. - far from it.

It's just that his status on here with some is overblown. I've been fortunate enough to see some really superb keepers play for Darlo, Andy Collet springs to mind here but there are a few others that match him. Players like Collett became THE Darlo keeper of their team, they were special, the type of player you don't get very often.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:56 am

quakersam wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:10 am
Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:59 am
Got to the game late on Tuesday a little late, so I’m not sure if TT was there, but he certainly hasn’t been around for the home games, that’s where the speculation starts, other out field players turn up even when not picked
He took part in the pre-match warm up so yes he was there. He was also present for the Kings Lynn game.
Thanks for that, hopefully when the loan keeper goes back we get TT back between the sticks 👍

Wiseacre
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:05 am

Surely one of the factors for a goalkeeper is the quality of your outfield defenders and how many hopeless situations they make for you. If we had a half-way competent back line Taylor would be able to keep out more goals. The clean sheet the other night was very welcome and we might have got a lucky win with Lawlor's effort. Slim pickings but we have to find some positives. I still believe we can beat Spennymoor. ;)

User avatar
grimsbyquaker
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington FC
Location: 53°22'N, 0°01'W

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:17 am

Interestingly myself & Vodka_Vic spoke to his dad at a game and he basically said that TT had zero confidence in the defence in front of him. I know he has a biased view but interesting all the same

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 7075
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by loan_star » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:41 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:17 am
Interestingly myself & Vodka_Vic spoke to his dad at a game and he basically said that TT had zero confidence in the defence in front of him. I know he has a biased view but interesting all the same
That's the difference between an adequate keeper and a good one. Mark Prudhoe let in a shed load of goals the year we got relegated from the old 3rd division and earned a move to promoted Stoke as he had still been outstanding despite the goals conceded.
Tommy is decent but not outstanding, certainly the best permanent keeper we have had since Adam Bartlett.
Personally I'd have targeted other positions in the squad first as it wasn't an area I thought needed urgent attention.
Mind you, I said the same years ago when Brian Little replaced Nigel Batch with Mark Prudhoe!

jjljks
Posts: 2998
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:46 pm

It was bizarre to bring in a loan keeper for 1 month when we have a decent permanent keeper. As a loan, the parent club would expect the loanee to get minutes in every game so best TT could have expected was to share the 90mns, but JG gave him none. We now stand to lose TT to the competition & no guarantee Robson will extend his loan who IMO is not an improvement on TT.

AndyPark
Posts: 12158
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by AndyPark » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:19 pm

Far too many incomings for my liking. Getting 09/10 vibes from this season so far.

lo36789
Posts: 10883
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:41 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:58 am
He certainly has potential, but for me so far he hasn't showed much so far.
Isnt he 30?

I was speaking to another manager in our league and he mentioned something quite interesting.

Said he wasn't surprised that it was an area that was being prioritised as it was an area he expected other teams were targetting as a soft spot. High balls in between CBs and GK.

MB86DFC
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Taylor

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:53 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:19 pm
Far too many incomings for my liking. Getting 09/10 vibes from this season so far.
Another kid who has had very little football experience. This isn’t going to get us out of this hole.

Post Reply