GOWLING OUT

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: GOWLING OUT

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:01 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:41 pm
Taylor, Griffiths, Lawlor, Lees, Sukar, Hedley, Platt, Hatfield, Moke, Liddle, Felix, Rivers, Hazel, Barnes, Nelson

That was a solid enough core for a manager to walk in to, set us up in a proper system, and get us picking up points.
Like Alun has been trying to do all year? ALL YEAR....

Did you seriously think that Josh could have a little chat with the players and everything would turn out happy ever after?

I reckon it was obvious that players would leave. They've underperformed, let themselves down, and they themselves must have known that some would leave.

Out of the 15 you've named above there's only about 5 I would be sorry to see go. For clarification I don't want 10 to go or even 5 to go but that list above, on the way this year has panned out, isn't a wish list.
Oh Blackwell Meadows clock - You are a waste of time
If kick off time is three PM - You’ll read five past nine

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:12 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:01 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Taylor, Griffiths, Lawlor, Lees, Sukar, Hedley, Platt, Hatfield, Moke, Liddle, Felix, Rivers, Hazel, Barnes, Nelson

That was a solid enough core for a manager to walk in to, set us up in a proper system, and get us picking up points.

Did you seriously think that Josh could have a little chat with the players and everything would turn out happy ever after?

I reckon it was obvious that players would leave. They've underperformed, let themselves down, and they themselves must have known that some would leave.

Out of the 15 you've named above there's only about 5 I would be sorry to see go. For clarification I don't want 10 to go or even 5 to go but that list above, on the way this year has panned out, isn't a wish list.
Well no, because a quarter of those players were added over the summer or slightly after.

Alun checked out, as seen by the Buxton fiasco.

We needed a couple of subtle tweaks, a couple of incomings & outgoings and fresh ideas, not a radical overhaul.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:18 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:12 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:01 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

out of the 15 you've named above there's only about 5 I would be sorry to see go. For clarification I don't want 10 to go or even 5 to go but that list above, on the way this year has panned out, isn't a wish list.
Well no, because a quarter of those players were added over the summer or slightly after.

We needed a couple of subtle tweaks, a couple of incomings & outgoings and fresh ideas, not a radical overhaul.
Firstly remember football is about opinions, not all will agree with yours
I do think we needed a big overall (not saying JG is the man to do this) but I do feel we need a clear out and rebuild.

Kids aren’t the answer and I’m not saying JG has brought improvements, although I do like Burton. But some of the players you list above are poor and need to go, I agree with fatcat only 5 I’d be sad to see go, the rest not good enough even if Pep had come in, before you bite, that’s my opinion 97
Last edited by Heaton out on Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:24 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Yep, by Alun. They were in the squad that Josh inherited.
Darlofan97 wrote:
He did check out, however the problems here run deeper than just Alun. The players - something had to be done, OUCH! People are now making out we've got a good set of players, but look at how they've performed this year. Pretty much all of them have been poor, as proven by the results pre Josh.
Darlofan97 wrote:
We needed more than "subtle tweaks" 97, I think this is beyond doubt.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:32 pm

We do have some poor players. I never said that we do not.

I just pointed out that we had a solid core of proven players at this level over many seasons that we could have built on.

Instead, it’s been ripped up.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:35 pm

Maybe not though.

I think only one has so far left. Which as somelse has pointed out says something.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:40 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:35 pm
Maybe not though.

I think only one has so far left. Which as somelse has pointed out says something.
Two have left & several others on the list. Hedley also dropped.

Do you realise what that does for morale? When you are being actively touted away from your employer?

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:58 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:40 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

Do you realise what that does for morale? When you are being actively touted away from your employer?
Any idea who is in goal for Saturday? New one would need to be at training tonight

BM1883

Post by BM1883 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:34 pm

I assume it would have to be TT. We were rumoured with Whitley, however he has since signed for Scarborough.

The only other keeper we have on our books is Harvey Kelly.

Surely there is no way that Kelly is the preferred choice. I’d be amazed.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:35 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:58 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

Any idea who is in goal for Saturday? New one would need to be at training tonight
No idea.

As it stands, Taylor, who we have tried to replace twice now in a month.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:58 pm

BM1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:34 pm
I assume it would have to be TT. We were rumoured with Whitley, however he has since signed for Scarborough.

You’d hope not given he can’t kick the ball ten yards in a straight line. His warmups are very entertaining.
Craig Liddle is God!!

BM1883

Post by BM1883 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:58 pm
BM1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:34 pm

You’d hope not given he can’t kick the ball ten yards in a straight line. His warmups are very entertaining.
Oh, I completely agree. Watched him pre-season and no offence to the kid but he was awful.

You just never know with JG though, might throw a curve ball. I don’t think their relationship would be amicable considering the turmoil of the last few weeks. Wonder where Tommy’s head is at.

We will see. I’m 99% sure it will be TT.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:32 pm

Has anybody actually seen the list of players that are supposed to have been bandied about or is it just speculation

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:45 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

I feel you're too negative 97. I feel you're spinning against Josh all the time!

Surely Barnes was a one month loan that ran it's course. And Hedley has been "dropped" so what? Players get dropped or not picked all the time.

And as for the list, as asked by darlo reborn, is there one?

bga

Post by bga » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:49 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:35 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

No idea.

And you know for a fact do you that we try to sign Whitley because someone on here said we had?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:17 am

bga wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:49 pm
And you know for a fact do you that we try to sign Whitley because someone on here said we had?
I suspect we did and by all accounts sounds like it would have been a good move.

The issue is once you approach players their agents tell every man and his dog he's about to go here to you should come in with a better offer.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:58 am

JC in his Farsley prematch interview confirms TT playing in goal and little else "We have a particular styple of play but unfortunately the fans have not seen it yet" that is an understatement, six games in, what is the plan, I know what AA plan B was hoof football to Hazel who is definately not a hold it up striker and hope for the best. Fingers crossed this Saturday

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:32 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:45 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

I feel you're too negative 97. I feel you're spinning against Josh all the time!

Surely Barnes was a one month loan that ran it's course. And Hedley has been "dropped" so what? Players get dropped or not picked all the time.

Barnes was happy to stay & we opted against extending his loan.

Hedley was also dropped after a good performance against Kings Lynn, and a decent one against Blyth, for a loanee who made an awful mistake on Saturday that nearly led to Spennymoor scoring.

In regards to those players being offered to other clubs, it is very obvious that this is done privately and nothing is published publicly.

It is totally your prerogative if you want to believe me or not.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:33 pm

bga wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:49 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:35 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

No idea.

Yes, we tried to sign Whitley.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:33 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:37 pm
Don't be ridiculous, give your heads a shake. There is no point ending his contract after such a short period of time, he should be given at lest until the New Year. I'm going down to Farsley next week, to support the team and Josh.
Well there you go, excellent fighting performance, let's hope we've turned a corner. Great to see a great turnout of fans, I reckon a good 400, puts Spennymoor fans in their place.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:08 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:33 pm
I reckon a good 400, puts Spennymoor fans in their place.
Still got sour grapes over last week's result, Pete?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:59 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:08 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:33 pm
I reckon a good 400, puts Spennymoor fans in their place.
Still got sour grapes over last week's result, Pete?
Nope not all, just their pathetic support.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:25 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:32 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

Hedley was also dropped after a good performance against Kings Lynn, and a decent one against Blyth, for a loanee who made an awful mistake on Saturday that nearly led to Spennymoor scoring.

In regards to those players being offered to other clubs, it is very obvious that this is done privately and nothing is published publicly.

As regards to a possible "transfer list" given " that this is done privately" you are telling us you have been copied in on this list is that correct?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:17 pm

So Gowling ditches the 3 centre halves and brings back Armstrong’s signings and we get a result. The only signings Gowling has made that look anything decent were in the squad yesterday. Mind you I’d have had Nelson on ahead of Simms who looks out of his depth and should really have got two goals after coming one but fluffed his lines.
Still it’s 3 points and I hope Gowling learns from this.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:58 pm

Fortunately the 3 permanent signings, Ngandu, Lindsey, and Rowe all look potentially decent players to me. So far on limited evidence the best of the loanees appears to be Burton, while Simms and Whinfield have yet to prove themselves. I suppose it is not that surprising as Burton has previously played at NLN level, and has adapted comfortably.
All in all I would say Josh has done well in attracting some reasonable talent to the club in difficult circumstances. It can’t be easy to find players mid season who want to come to a bottom of the league team. There may need to be a couple of players moved on to trim the size of the squad, but hopefully Josh can find the right blend of youth and experience to take us forward.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:39 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:25 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Maybe not though.

As regards to a possible "transfer list" given " that this is done privately" you are telling us you have been copied in on this list is that correct?
Why would I be copied in?

Another one that likes to twist my words.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:55 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:39 pm
bga wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:25 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Why would I be copied in?

Another one that likes to twist my words.
He asked you a question lad

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:00 pm

And I answered it back.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:26 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:00 pm
And I answered it back.
So how’s he managed to twist your words by asking you a question?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:38 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:26 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:00 pm
And I answered it back.
So how’s he managed to twist your words by asking you a question?
Because he is saying that, as I know about the players being offered to other clubs, that I must have been copied in to the communication, which is nonsense.

I obviously wouldn’t be copied in to anything, but that isn’t to say I’m not informed on what is going on.

It is totally your prerogative whether you want to believe me or not.