Reality

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13985
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:19 pm

Nothing should be even considered into the New Year at the earliest.

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:32 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:19 pm
Nothing should be even considered into the New Year at the earliest.
This *100 !

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6885
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by loan_star » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:38 pm

Wait till Xmas and the new manager will have a cat in hells chance of saving us.
If we lose tomorrow he has to go, simple as that.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:59 pm

I disagree loan-star, more patience is needed. He's come in to a really hard job, he's been here about 6 weeks and tomorrow (I think) is his 8th league game.
Oh Blackwell Meadows clock - You are a waste of time
If kick off time is three PM - You’ll read five past nine

MB86DFC
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:19 pm
Nothing should be even considered into the New Year at the earliest.
Even if we lose our next 4 league games?

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6885
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by loan_star » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:14 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:59 pm
I disagree loan-star, more patience is needed. He's come in to a really hard job, he's been here about 6 weeks and tomorrow (I think) is his 8th league game.
And I stand by my viewpoint. He’s a disaster happening before our eyes. His track record says that he’s not good enough. The evidence we have seen so far backs up what we have heard from Hereford fans. Needs removing asap and a defeat tomorrow is an ideal time for the board to hold their hands up and admit they dropped a bollock.

LoidLucan
Posts: 4292
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:38 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:59 pm
I disagree loan-star, more patience is needed. He's come in to a really hard job, he's been here about 6 weeks and tomorrow (I think) is his 8th league game.
I think there needs to be some signs of positive progress and indications that things are starting to be turned around. I'm afraid so far there are no signs of stringing together some consistency.and getting the wins we'll need to stay up. It's no good just repeating "It will come good" after each new setback.

User avatar
Quaker-Ste
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Monte Darlo

Re: Reality

Post by Quaker-Ste » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:01 pm

And just how do you think we can afford to sack another management duo?

MB86DFC
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:03 pm

Quaker-Ste wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:01 pm
And just how do you think we can afford to sack another management duo?
Can we afford not to?

As DJ stated, there are clauses meaning we don’t pay the full contract out for the remaining duration.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:07 pm

loan_star wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:59 pm
I disagree loan-star, more patience is needed. He's come in to a really hard job, he's been here about 6 weeks and tomorrow (I think) is his 8th league game.
And I stand by my viewpoint. He’s a disaster happening before our eyes. His track record says that he’s not good enough. The evidence we have seen so far backs up what we have heard from Hereford fans. Needs removing asap and a defeat tomorrow is an ideal time for the board to hold their hands up and admit they dropped a bollock.
Totally agree with loan star on this, his signings,tactics and team selection have been poor, we simply haven't got time on our hands to give him until the end of the year, defeats in our next 2 games and it has to be goodbye.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk


User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 6422
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:11 pm

This whole year has been awful football wise.

Re Josh, I haven't got infinite patience, there's no denying things are going badly, and the situation can't go on indefinitely, BUT he's taken on a hard job, I mean just for one thing attracting players, who of any proven quality is going to choose to come to Darlo at present?

6 weeks and 7 league games is just too soon to act. IMO.
Oh Blackwell Meadows clock - You are a waste of time
If kick off time is three PM - You’ll read five past nine

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm

How do we think we can afford to sack him?

He will have a contract at least until seasons end, and armstrong is still laughing all the way to the bank given we have to pay up his fat contract.
So we would essentially be paying for 3 managers....with the latest one obviously wanting to bring his own players in too.

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:16 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:38 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:59 pm
I disagree loan-star, more patience is needed. He's come in to a really hard job, he's been here about 6 weeks and tomorrow (I think) is his 8th league game.
I think there needs to be some signs of positive progress and indications that things are starting to be turned around. I'm afraid so far there are no signs of stringing together some consistency.and getting the wins we'll need to stay up. It's no good just repeating "It will come good" after each new setback.
well the last clown was crying 'we haven't got the budget' week in week out and he got several months extra grace from some !

LoidLucan
Posts: 4292
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:28 pm

It's great to see AA continues to live rent free in your head.

Wiseacre
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Reality

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:41 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:28 pm
It's great to see AA continues to live rent free in your head.
I agree it's time to let AA go to a deserved rest - he did a number of good things for the club and was the only decent manager out of three since our last successful one, but people fell out with him as well so what - realistically - do we want now? I want us to keep Gowling where he is for the rest of the season then pick up the pieces. I can remember the 1972-73 season where we somehow managed to change manager three times and still finished bottom so I don't think anymore upheaval now is the answer.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6885
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by loan_star » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:31 pm

The_Natural wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm
How do we think we can afford to sack him?

He will have a contract at least until seasons end, and armstrong is still laughing all the way to the bank given we have to pay up his fat contract.
So we would essentially be paying for 3 managers....with the latest one obviously wanting to bring his own players in too.
Ahh so now it’s down to affordability? You knew Armstrong was on a 2 year deal but wanted him out despite that fact we couldn’t really afford it…….

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:59 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:28 pm
It's great to see AA continues to live rent free in your head.
If only he was free everywhere else--still costing us a packet !

PS if I was vulgar I would wonder if you live rent free in his arse such is your devotion to him......fortunately I am above posting something like that ;)
Last edited by The_Natural on Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:01 pm

loan_star wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:31 pm
The_Natural wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm
How do we think we can afford to sack him?

He will have a contract at least until seasons end, and armstrong is still laughing all the way to the bank given we have to pay up his fat contract.
So we would essentially be paying for 3 managers....with the latest one obviously wanting to bring his own players in too.
Ahh so now it’s down to affordability? You knew Armstrong was on a 2 year deal but wanted him out despite that fact we couldn’t really afford it…….
the mistake was giving him that deal in the first place--if we got ride close season there would have been more time to make an appointment and let that manager get the players we wanted

Unfortunately we let someone who clearly didnt have his heart in it spunk a decent budget and leave us in s*** creek, now the Armstrong lovers are reaping what they sowed

As people say all water under the bridge--now though!

DavidCurriesMullet
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:17 am

We sack Gowling and the next manager doesn't have a magic wand..........how long does he get?

Old Git
Posts: 2965
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:56 am

Reality is we need around another 40 points from the remaining 30 matches. That breaks down to 4 points from every 3 games on average for survival. Of course form will rise and fall over a period of 6 months, but we need to be winning 1 in 3 of our matches between now and the end of the season, as well as picking up draws on a regular basis.
Looking at the next 3 league games, probably the best winning chance is Warrington at home, but we would need to pick up a point today at home to Chester or at Chorley on Tuesday just to keep pace with the points ratio required. The reality of the situation is that we need to find a big improvement and quickly to have a chance of staying up.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13985
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:09 pm

Will that do for you OG :wave: ?

Old Git
Posts: 2965
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:09 pm
Will that do for you OG :wave: ?
Very much so 👏👏👏

lo36789
Posts: 10761
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by lo36789 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:44 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:56 am
Reality is we need around another 40 points from the remaining 30 matches.
That isn't that definite is it? I can't actually find a single season where 51 points was needed to survive.

There are odd occasions where 49+ are needed but in past decade 44+ has been enough. So 30 more points from remaining games.

As I've said before though we just need to get out of the relegation zone and then outperform what is around us.

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:32 pm

2 wins in 3 games and only 5 points off safety with a game in hand….hopefully those writing Gowling off and the season with it will get behind the team

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6885
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:27 pm

The_Natural wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:32 pm
2 wins in 3 games and only 5 points off safety with a game in hand….hopefully those writing Gowling off and the season with it will get behind the team
You seem to think that those who think the club made a mistake in appointing Gowling don’t want him to prove us wrong! Nothing would please me more to be proven wrong. When they cross that white line I want us to win no matter if I rate the manager or not. To make out that the likes of me don’t get behind the team is just a load of bollocks on your part.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:19 pm

The_Natural wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm
How do we think we can afford to sack him?

He will have a contract at least until seasons end, and armstrong is still laughing all the way to the bank given we have to pay up his fat contract.
So we would essentially be paying for 3 managers....with the latest one obviously wanting to bring his own players in too.
No we don't have to pay up his "fat contract".

He would be entitled to an amount of severance agreed between him and the club, but his contract isn't getting paid up.

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:37 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:19 pm
The_Natural wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm
How do we think we can afford to sack him?

He will have a contract at least until seasons end, and armstrong is still laughing all the way to the bank given we have to pay up his fat contract.
So we would essentially be paying for 3 managers....with the latest one obviously wanting to bring his own players in too.
No we don't have to pay up his "fat contract".

He would be entitled to an amount of severance agreed between him and the club, but his contract isn't getting paid up.
You sure about that…Armstrong fancied himself and agent so sure he negotiated himself a sweet deal (which is absoulutely his right to be fair)

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:39 pm

The_Natural wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:37 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:19 pm
The_Natural wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm
How do we think we can afford to sack him?

He will have a contract at least until seasons end, and armstrong is still laughing all the way to the bank given we have to pay up his fat contract.
So we would essentially be paying for 3 managers....with the latest one obviously wanting to bring his own players in too.
No we don't have to pay up his "fat contract".

He would be entitled to an amount of severance agreed between him and the club, but his contract isn't getting paid up.
You sure about that…Armstrong fancied himself an agent so sure he negotiated himself a sweet deal (which is absoulutely his right to be fair)

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:47 pm

The_Natural wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:37 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:19 pm
The_Natural wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm
How do we think we can afford to sack him?

He will have a contract at least until seasons end, and armstrong is still laughing all the way to the bank given we have to pay up his fat contract.
So we would essentially be paying for 3 managers....with the latest one obviously wanting to bring his own players in too.
No we don't have to pay up his "fat contract".

He would be entitled to an amount of severance agreed between him and the club, but his contract isn't getting paid up.
You sure about that…Armstrong fancied himself and agent so sure he negotiated himself a sweet deal (which is absoulutely his right to be fair)
I only know that we won't be paying up his full contract, because that's not how it works.

The_Natural
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reality

Post by The_Natural » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:07 pm

If he signed for 2 years why would
We not pay him? Same as we would get comp if he left for another club Can see there being a breaking clashes if he gets a new job but unless we had something performance related etc

Post Reply