Darlington V Rushall

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Heaton out
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Rushall

Post by Heaton out » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:29 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:27 pm
Heaton out wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:25 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:23 pm
Heaton out wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:17 pm
The basic statement requires an answer!!!! Who do we appoint now that makes us better ?? I’ll wait….
Steve Watson. Solid and steady
Easy as that then, sack JG and get SW👍🏻
We already have a copy of his CV from the last recruitment drive.
Can’t fail, survival and playoffs every season assured , let’s see if you are right (fingers crossed)

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:49 pm

Heaton out wrote:
The basic statement requires an answer!!!! Who do we appoint now that makes us better ?? I’ll wait….
The problem is that I don't know what is the best move now and I'd say we are probably stuck with JG. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if the shortlist at the time was numerous and strong (as led to believe) then JG's appointment will always be questioned. Whether or not any of the other candidates, are still available, want the job or indeed can we afford to fire another manager are other questions, it's about getting the decision right first time and IMHO I think we are going to regret the board appointing JG if our aim was to stay in this division. His record at Hereford was nothing to write home about and that's about it, not what you want in a relegation battle - he's pretty much on probation terms and the board have taken the cheapest option to try and wing their way out of a massive hole dug by everyone during the last 10/11 months. It's not solely JG's fault we are in a downward spiral towards the NPL but I don't think he was the solution either and if anything will just seal our fate sooner.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:14 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:49 pm
Heaton out wrote:
The problem is that I don't know what is the best move now and I'd say we are probably stuck with JG. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if the shortlist at the time was numerous and strong (as led to believe) then JG's appointment will always be questioned. Whether or not any of the other candidates, are still available, want the job or indeed can we afford to fire another manager are other questions, it's about getting the decision right first time and IMHO I think we are going to regret the board appointing JG if our aim was to stay in this division. His record at Hereford was nothing to write home about and that's about it, not what you want in a relegation battle - he's pretty much on probation terms and the board have taken the cheapest option to try and wing their way out of a massive hole dug by everyone during the last 10/11 months. It's not solely JG's fault we are in a downward spiral towards the NPL but I don't think he was the solution either and if anything will just seal our fate sooner.
Possibly 85 and sadly I don’t have the answer either but the JG blame game isn’t 100% correct, we have been spiralling for a while now, we all need to get behind the lads and hope for the best as imo the future is Rocky until we have our own ground etc.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:20 pm

You're mistaken if you think people who are questioning things aren't behind the club and players.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:23 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:20 pm
You're mistaken if you think people who are questioning things aren't behind the club and players.
If this is aimed at me LL then did I say that? I know good ppl are behind the club & players but I also know some have had an agenda since the minute we appointed JG, I hope we can get out of this relegation battle but, I also believe we have found our level as a fan owned club.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:35 pm

We have taken 8 points from 6 games - an average of 1.333 points per game

If we can keep this up over the next 26 games that would give us 50 points - would that keep us up ?

We can’t afford to be throwing points away like we have this week though

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:44 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:23 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:20 pm
If this is aimed at me LL then did I say that? I know good ppl are behind the club & players but I also know some have had an agenda since the minute we appointed JG, I hope we can get out of this relegation battle but, I also believe we have found our level as a fan owned club.

I'd love for JG to achieve survival but in terms of appointments it really has to be the ultimate gamble in terms of ability and previous experience. In agreement with you Heaton regards level, we have found our upper level without further outside investment or our own ground/revenue streams and this is what we are up against - a BtB of £160k although on the face of it is fantastic, it just doesn't stretch far enough for comfortable NLN standards (factoring in outside financial pressures) and this is where I believe I have some justified sympathy with AA, he got the best of what he could scrape together.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:50 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:35 pm

If we can keep this up over the next 26 games that would give us 50 points - would that keep us up ?

Before this week we were all hoping for a minimum of 4 points from these two games. 2 points is not good enough. If only we had a fit available striker and played a formation that got the best out of him.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Obviously lots of people have doubts over JG based on his Darlo record of 2 wins in 13 games but there are also question marks over his consistently poor loan choices, the fact that we've come full circle after initially freezing out several existing players, the drastic and failed formation change (now abandoned) etc. The absolutely appalling 8-0 defeat (along with the 4-0 capitulation) also undermined trust in the management and results like that add to the feeling that things are not right behind the scenes. Yes there is mitigation in what he inherited but I don't feel the club is in good hands going forward. Everything so far suggests that.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:08 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:58 pm
Obviously lots of people have doubts over JG based on his Darlo record of 2 wins in 13 games but there are also question marks over his consistently poor loan choices, the fact that we've come full circle after initially freezing out several existing players, the drastic and failed formation change (now abandoned) etc. The absolutely appalling 8-0 defeat (along with the 4-0 capitulation) also undermined trust in the management and results like that add to the feeling that things are not right behind the scenes. Yes there is mitigation in what he inherited but I don't feel the club is in good hands going forward. Everything so far suggests that.
:clap:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:04 am

To sum up the current dilemma.
AA should have been replaced at the end of last season and has not used the budget well.
JG has inherited a difficult situation, but has made mistakes and a lot of supporters don’t have confidence in him to turn things around.
We probably can’t afford to replace JG, and another change in manager may just make the situation worse.
Currently we look odds on for relegation.

Like most other people I think we will be relegated barring some big uplift in fortunes, which does not seem likely. Would it be worth considering realising Gowling and just see what Danny Rose can do on his own ? He knows the strengths and weaknesses of the players, hopefully would command their respect, and has a good knowledge of this league. Yes he lacks management experience, but always seems to conduct himself well and comes across well in his interviews. Ideally, would like Will Hatfield or another senior player to step up and act as assistant to help him out. A bit of a risk, but do we have that much to lose, and if he pulls it off….

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 am

loan_star wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:50 pm
Lallacab wrote:

Before this week we were all hoping for a minimum of 4 points from these two games. 2 points is not good enough. If only we had a fit available striker and played a formation that got the best out of him.
Yes - the longer Asante takes to get up to speed, the worse the decision to effectively swap him for Hazel will look, particularly if Hazel starts scoring goals before Asante does.

On the flip side, if only we'd had seen more competent displays of goalkeeping, we'd be sat here with 2 ground out 1-0 wins and everything would be looking somewhat more promising. A damaging week for our survival prospects

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:12 am

Yesterday's game was not an easy watch to say the least, two sides who showed exactly why they're in the bottom 4.

A bit of a re-run from Tuesday night, plenty of possession with little creativity we were bright in the opening 10/15 minutes or so but after that it was a fairly even game and neither side looked like scoring, our goal was a bit of a fluke and their equaliser was just bizarre. I defended TT on Tuesday night but he had a mare yesterday, came charging out of his area like a madman and caught the ball when there was no immediate danger getting booked and giving away a free kick in a dangerous area in the process, I honestly have no idea what he was thinking.

He then came needessly flying out to try and catch a ball he was never going to reach in a month of sundays which led to their goal, we could have nicked it in the end, and it was unfortunate that goal in the second half was ruled out as it was probably the only moment of real quality we produced against in 180 minutes of football against Warrington and Rushall. Much like Tuesday we never looked secure at 1-0 and for the most part never looked like getting a second, it took us around 75 minutes before we really opened them up and but for a bit more quality and composure in front of goal we should have gone 2-1 up.

On the same token though, I can't say a draw wasn't a fair result it was a real basement battle between two struggling sides who for the majority of the game successfully cancelled each other out. Salkeld was marked out of the game to the point he was ineffective and to their credit, barring a couple of lapses, Rushall were defensively solid. They were more direct in the second half as expected and started commiting men forward and were leaving gaps at the back but we rarely looked a threat and neither did they, but as I said on Tuesday a better quality team would have beaten us and those two sides yesterday looked there for the taking.

Will Hatfield and Adriano Moke were probably the pick out of the twenty two players on the pitch and Moke deserved MOTM for me, although we haven't lost it certainly feels like two defeats. Two big opportunities lost and twice in successive home games we've dropped points from winning positions with a run of three successive away games coming up.

Gloucester and Bishop's Stortford are already starting to look like cup finals, if we can get a couple of positive results at Southport and Banbury it might give us a fighting chance, unfortunately though what I've seen in the last two home games hasn't been good enough.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:57 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:06 pm
Heaton out wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:26 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:23 pm
Heaton out wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:01 pm
At the end of the day Gowlings signings have been just awful,barring a couple. I cannot see us surviving if he remains in charge and if the board stick with him next season really think the BTB will be a disaster.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
And AA’s were great and he spent the 160k well????
In my opinion AA's signings have not been as bad as Gowlings rightly or wrongly.

So AA spent the 160k well in your opinion? And how much has JG blew in comparison..I’ll wait
And I'll stick by my opinion that £160k (although a brilliant achievement by us all) doesn't stretch far enough whether that's mid-table budget or not. I'll still say that AA didn't deliberately go out to f**k the club over in his recruitment but it probably became apparent he wasn't anywhere near the market he wanted to be in to overhaul the squad like he wanted (yes it sounds like I'm giving AA some slack but I'm not, I'm looking at the wider financial world we live in).

The biggest mistake was not terminating AA's tenure at the end of last season and giving a new manager the funds and summer to recruit how they wanted. Instead the board have been suckered in twice, AA saying I can still do the job, signing another costly contract and ultimately still being completely lost. They have backed this up appointing JG who has yet to convince most (other than the board) that he can turn this around but his approach in doing so has almost completely ostracised some of the squad he said he could work with, brought in some questionable short-term signings and just swapped a fit and although frustrated Hazel for an unfit Asante (work that one out?). We will never know who exactly could have come in to replace AA nor if we could afford them but JG has got to be one of the most significant management gambles the board has taken and my view at the moment is this could prove the most costly mistake if our main aim was lowered to just staying in the NLN.
I get your point but you really can't bring Hazel into this.
The guy wanted out for personal reasons.
As to who replaced him, that is a fair question.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Absolutely right.

It is a whole raft of things combined that JG has done that makes many of us feel it is a very poor appointment, on top of what at best is an average track record.

Adding on to your points, my current issue is how on earth does he think that a completely unfit forward who can only contribute 10 mins and even then looked off the pace, is going to solve our problem of scoring goals. As well as my guess, being paid more than any of our current players.

Can anyone also say that any one of his what, 9 signings, are really any better than we already have, don’t think so, which just adds to his poor credentials.

The last run of games has mainly been against very poor teams and he has failed to deliver.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:29 am

Quakerlad wrote: Can anyone also say that any one of his what, 9 signings, are really any better than we already have, don’t think so, which just adds to his poor credentials.
Lindley is a good player who has improved our side. He was very good yesterday

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:32 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:04 am
. Would it be worth considering realising Gowling and just see what Danny Rose can do on his own ? He knows the strengths and weaknesses of the players, hopefully would command their respect, and has a good knowledge of this league. Yes he lacks management experience, but always seems to conduct himself well and comes across well in his interviews. Ideally, would like Will Hatfield or another senior player to step up and act as assistant to help him out. A bit of a risk, but do we have that much to lose, and if he pulls it off….
A positive suggestion - it would also show the club actually trying to do something instead of one more match for it all to come right. I've posted before about making a similar use of Hatfield and could Rose be worse than Gowling, could anyone? It would be a risk but less of a punt than spending big money on a player who can't play and looks as if he won't be fit until it's too late? I can't believe this one - the clamour for another striker to turn things round when there are problems all over across the team. A capable manager could have shaped up a formulation to play to Hazel's strengths, we could have scored more goals instead of not defending fragile leads and turning on the keeper when the inevitable happens. How do we think Taylor feels playing behind our defense? So, back to negativity and complaint for me but this time last week I thought we had a chance with these last two games. So disappointing, and it won't do to keep dragging the previous manager in to the on-going lamentations - look at his overall record, remember how well his team played for a while. I don't recall Armstrong's team getting beat 8-0 or losing to a team as poor as Bishops S***hole. How much worse can it get? I agree it's a waste of time, and money, to off load jovial Josh but we could re-jig things. We need to see some action from the board.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:33 am

Quakerlad wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Absolutely right.

It is a whole raft of things combined that JG has done that makes many of us feel it is a very poor appointment, on top of what at best is an average track record.

Adding on to your points, my current issue is how on earth does he think that a completely unfit forward who can only contribute 10 mins and even then looked off the pace, is going to solve our problem of scoring goals. As well as my guess, being paid more than any of our current players.

Can anyone also say that any one of his what, 9 signings, are really any better than we already have, don’t think so, which just adds to his poor credentials.

The last run of games has mainly been against very poor teams and he has failed to deliver.
The above 2 posts sums it up perfectly.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:36 am

al_quaker wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:29 am
Quakerlad wrote: Can anyone also say that any one of his what, 9 signings, are really any better than we already have, don’t think so, which just adds to his poor credentials.
Agreed, Lindley looks decent. Ngandu looks ok too in flashes, a bit of a poor man’s Jack Lambert. The rest of his signings, reserving judgment on Asante, have been poor.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:42 am

What strongly indicates that we won't be good enough to win this fight is our record against teams in the bottom ten. We've failed to beat Warrington, Peterborough Sports, Blyth, Rushall, King's Lynn, Gloucester and Bishop's Stortford, the sole success being Farsley and we've yet to play Banbury.

The 3 extra wins that would be required to overhaul 5th bottom Rushall as things stand already looks an absolute mountain to climb given that we've gone nearly half a season with just 3 wins in total. It really doesn't bode well at all.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:39 am

loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Agreed, Lindley looks decent. Ngandu looks ok too in flashes, a bit of a poor man’s Jack Lambert. The rest of his signings, reserving judgment on Asante, have been poor.
Rowe on the bench and not coming on....Griffiths is a better option.Whinfield on the bench and not coming on....Hedley,Sukar or Mustoe far better options.Had better options with our original players regarding Robson,Hannah and Simms as well.Pretty poor transfer activity from JG imo.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:14 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:39 am
loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Rowe on the bench and not coming on....Griffiths is a better option.Whinfield on the bench and not coming on....Hedley,Sukar or Mustoe far better options.Had better options with our original players regarding Robson,Hannah and Simms as well.Pretty poor transfer activity from JG imo.

None of these signings have been good, but the mustoe revisionism is a bit baffling.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:26 am

tdk1 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

None of these signings have been good, but the mustoe revisionism is a bit baffling.
My point is, that even Mustoe who is nowhere to be seen for reasons unknown to us, is a better option than Whinfield. Which just makes this loan signing even more baffling.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:48 am

Wiseacre wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:32 am
How do we think Taylor feels playing behind our defense?
From the last two matches, how do we think our defence feels playing in front of Taylor? ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:28 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:48 am
Wiseacre wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:32 am
How do we think Taylor feels playing behind our defense?
From the last two matches, how do we think our defence feels playing in front of Taylor? ;)
Wonder what Tony Moor would have made of it.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:35 pm

Lallacab wrote:

We've played Warrington and Rushall at home in those games and we've only picked up 2.

Unless I'm mistaken, we've played the above 2, Gloucester, Blyth, King's Lynn at home and gained 4 points from a possible 15. That's very very poor.

I don't see the point in mentioning AA anymore. To me it's not relevant. JG has asked to do a job and he knew where we were and what the job was. Whether you like it or not, it's not been given enough. Had we picked up a minimum of 4 points from these 2 home games, then I'd have been willing to give him a chance. But I don't have much confidence in him. He wasted weeks by playing the back 3/back 5. Since we've moved to a back 4, we have improved (taking the chorley game out of it), but it's not enough.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:36 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:26 am
tdk1 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

My point is, that even Mustoe who is nowhere to be seen for reasons unknown to us, is a better option than Whinfield. Which just makes this loan signing even more baffling.

And Mustoe still been paid presumably until we're told that he is no longer at the club?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:38 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

Reasons unknown to us? We’ve literally been told by our manager that the lad is injured.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:40 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:38 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Reasons unknown to us? We’ve literally been told by our manager that the lad is injured.
Not according to each match preview where we are updated regards injured players. Who do you believe?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:54 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:40 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:38 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Not according to each match preview where we are updated regards injured players. Who do you believe?
Obviously you believe our manager, honestly why are we so bothered about 1 small piece of information missing on the match previews. Have we not got bigger fish to fry?