Basic Errors

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Basic Errors

Post by divas » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Dogged us throughout pre-season, think about 9 out of the 13 goals we conceded in pre-season were down to basic schoolboy errors, i was hoping that once we got rid of the underperforming fullbacks and had miller and foster at the back these would be eradicated.

Still early days but from what i hear at least 2 of todays goals could have been prevented pretty easily, one thing i liked about penney is that we made very few mistakes......todd as a former defender i'd hope will eradicate this quickly. Defence was what i was pinning my hopes on this year as i cant see us doing much going forward but at least if we can keep it tight we can nick a couple.

darlomilo

Re: Basic Errors

Post by darlomilo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:52 pm

we were inviting too much pressure onto us by allowing their wingers free reign down the flanks, also foster looked well off the pace, i dont imagine he was fully fit so why didnt plummer start?

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:27 pm

so what of the two centre mids today? did they go missing? doesnt sound like they created anything but was there any protection of the back 4?

i'm sure foz will get the back 4 sorted once he gets back up to speed. i'm more worried that they will get exposed by the middle 4

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 pm

We seemed to get stretched by them playing very wide with 5 across the middle today. That meant gaps opened up and they scored the 1st and 3rd with balls pumped down our flanks. To be honest it was very similar to how they turned us over in the same fixture last year. Knight's was the only glaring error and we were rightly punished.

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:43 pm

mrcoops1984 wrote:I don't know about everyone else but until we become more confident at the back I reckon we should play 5 there and go for a 5-3-2 formation. Even more so against Leeds!
Fuck me! on another thread you said the two fullbacks and the right winger arent good enough. Now you want 2 of those 3 to play in new positions probably foreign to them, where they'd have to work twice as hard to support the midfield, and possibly be exposed even more!

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:54 pm

Just seen that Knight flap on the tele again. Worse than I thought it was, what a howler. Lets hope hes gets it out of his system.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 am

fat tony wrote:Just seen that Knight flap on the tele again. Worse than I thought it was, what a howler. Lets hope hes gets it out of his system.
He did exactly the same thing against Sunderland, though...

quaker_olly

Post by quaker_olly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:34 am

Wouldnt bother with changing formations, dont think we have the versatility to do so! Basic 4-4-2, every one should know their role in that and take it from there. Early days, hopefully the errors are put right, no way we should be making them howlers though, a good performance tonight would do us the world of good.

darlo2k

Post by darlo2k » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:49 am

I thought central midfield was non-existent, don't remember Lumsdon and Smith crossing the halfway line 1st half. To be fair there was a lack of any option when they had posession other than to hit the forwards in the air, who were too slow to react to any flick ons anyway

Left back was very poor 1st half too but got stuck in better 2nd half

Overall we were poor, but with 11 debuts and drop in quality no great surprise we struggled.

Thorpe/Windass as a pairing isn't going to trouble anyone, Dowson gave us an option and some pace and must play tonight just to provide an outlet

We were that bad down there last season too!

Hopefully back 4 will gel over the next few weeks and Todd can sign a couple more loan players, otherwise this will be a long hard season I'm afraid!

Still it was a Saturday with a club to support on zero points so grateful for that!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:23 pm

bigrichiet wrote:so what of the two centre mids today? did they go missing? doesnt sound like they created anything but was there any protection of the back 4?

i'm sure foz will get the back 4 sorted once he gets back up to speed. i'm more worried that they will get exposed by the middle 4
Lumsdon looked very good on the ball, moves it around quickly with no messing about. I was expecting more from Smith - he showed a couple of nice touches but I thought I'd see more from him. Time will tell.

It didn't help that Aldershot have 5 in midfield though - I wouldn't judge the midfield on Saturday's performance.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC