who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

User avatar
quakerray
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:53 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: bishop auckland
Contact:

who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by quakerray » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:43 am

doesnt have to be in order of favourites

im coming up with a design for something im working on and just curious who peoples favourites or legends are over the last 125 years.

User avatar
Darlospike
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sunny Darlo

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlospike » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:54 am

Il start, Sir Ron Greener.
I like exclamation marks!!!

User avatar
Ned_Flanders
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Springfield USA.

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Ned_Flanders » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am

David Cork , Les McJannett , John Borthwick :thumbup:

User avatar
Darlospike
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sunny Darlo

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlospike » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:59 am

Andy Toman, Marco, Wainy, Gary Bannister, Gaz Mac........
I like exclamation marks!!!

TFDM
Posts: 2095
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by TFDM » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Kevan Smith

User avatar
Darlospike
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sunny Darlo

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlospike » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Mark Prudhoe, Andy Collett
I like exclamation marks!!!

User avatar
Darlospike
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sunny Darlo

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlospike » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:06 pm

Lidds
I like exclamation marks!!!

User avatar
Darlospike
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sunny Darlo

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlospike » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Walshy, Al Sproates, Dave McLean oh and the legend that is Gary Strodder!!!!!
I like exclamation marks!!!

User avatar
bigrichiet
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by bigrichiet » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Here's 37 -
kev smith, gabbas, walshy, speedie, jim willis, pruds, barber, gregan, blake, Foz, collett, liddle, greener, Peverell, Currie, Frank Gray, Mcjannet, Cork, Toman, Mclean, Sproates, Aspin, Gary Coatsworth, Gary Morgan, Carl Airie, Painter, Waino, Gaughan, Heaney, 'Stevie Mardenbrough, Stevie Mardenbrough', Bannister, Hodgy, Brian Little, Lol Morgan, Dave Penney, Cyril Knowles, Tommo.

real_darlo_85
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Martin Gray
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:22 pm

I only go back to the mid 70's so I've only put in people from then. I'm sure I've missed some players that should be in the list, but my tiny brain hurts thinking this much.


Pawel Abbott Craig Liddle
Carl Airey Brian Little
Matty Appleby Phil Lloyd
Gary Bannister Gary Macdonald
Fred Barber Neil Maddison
Robbie Blake Lloyd Maitland
John Borthwick Les Mcjannet
Gary Coatsworth Dave Mclean
Andy Collet Clive Nattress
Dick Corden Alan Ogley
David Cork Robbie Painter
David Currie Mark Prudhoe
Jason Devos Adam Reed
Ron Ferguson Kevin Smith
Steve Foster David Speedie
Marco Gabbiadini John Stalker
Steve Gaughan John Stone
Gary Gill Kevin Todd
Sean Gregan Andy Toman
Neil Heaney Frank Tweddle
Neil Heaney Neil Wainwright
Paul Heckingbottom Alan Walsh
David Hodgson Dennis Wann
Alan Kamara Paul Ward
Cyril Knowles Jim Willis

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 pm

This time to read slightly easier.

Pawel Abbott
Carl Airey
Matty Appleby
Gary Bannister
Fred Barber
Robbie Blake
John Borthwick
Gary Coatsworth
Andy Collet
Dick Corden
David Cork
David Currie
Jason Devos
Ron Ferguson
Steve Foster
Marco Gabbiadini
Steve Gaughan
Gary Gill
Sean Gregan
Neil Heaney
Neil Heaney
Paul Heckingbottom
David Hodgson
Alan Kamara
Cyril Knowles
Craig Liddle
Brian Little
Phil Lloyd
Gary Macdonald
Neil Maddison
Lloyd Maitland
Les Mcjannet
Dave Mclean
Clive Nattress
Alan Ogley
Robbie Painter
Mark Prudhoe
Adam Reed
Kevin Smith
David Speedie
John Stalker
John Stone
Kevin Todd
Andy Toman
Frank Tweddle
Neil Wainwright
Alan Walsh
Dennis Wann
Paul Ward
Jim Willis

User avatar
Earl_Lee_Dawes
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Northallerton

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Lance Robson. Not so much because of his football skills (or dentistry), but because he didn't travel on the team bus, and went to games in an E-Type Jag accompanied by some dolly-bird (this was the swinging 60's!)

User avatar
wylam_rangers
Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: North Riding of Yorkshire

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:08 pm

I thought we've all agreed that after what happened

Steve Foster & Ian Miller :clap: :clap: :clap:

are automatically legends in the eyes of every true Darlo Fan

User avatar
AlanSprouts
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: 54.3030N-1.3203W

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by AlanSprouts » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:This time to read slightly easier.

Pawel Abbott
Carl Airey
Matty Appleby
Gary Bannister
Fred Barber
Robbie Blake
John Borthwick
Gary Coatsworth
Andy Collet
Dick Corden
David Cork
David Currie
Jason Devos
Ron Ferguson
Steve Foster
Marco Gabbiadini
Steve Gaughan
Gary Gill
Sean Gregan
Neil Heaney
Neil Heaney
Paul Heckingbottom
David Hodgson
Alan Kamara
Cyril Knowles
Craig Liddle
Brian Little
Phil Lloyd
Gary Macdonald
Neil Maddison
Lloyd Maitland
Les Mcjannet
Dave Mclean
Clive Nattress
Alan Ogley
Robbie Painter
Mark Prudhoe
Adam Reed
Kevin Smith
David Speedie
John Stalker
John Stone
Kevin Todd
Andy Toman
Frank Tweddle
Neil Wainwright
Alan Walsh
Dennis Wann
Paul Ward
Jim Willis
You forgot Lol Morgan John Peverell Ray Yeoman and of course my good self Alan Sproates :wave:

Eaststandbaldie
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Eaststandbaldie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:09 pm

bigrichiet wrote:Here's 37 -
kev smith, gabbas, walshy, speedie, jim willis, pruds, barber, gregan, blake, Foz, collett, liddle, greener, Peverell, Currie, Frank Gray, Mcjannet, Cork, Toman, Mclean, Sproates, Aspin, Gary Coatsworth, Gary Morgan, Carl Airie, Painter, Waino, Gaughan, Heaney, 'Stevie Mardenbrough, Stevie Mardenbrough', Bannister, Hodgy, Brian Little, Lol Morgan, Dave Penney, Cyril Knowles, Tommo.
nice list,spot on apart from Gary Morgan unless he fitted a carpet for you. :lol:


would like to add
Tony Moor and Peter Graham :thumbup:

NottsQuaker
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:29 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by NottsQuaker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Jimmy Lawton, Bobby Cummings and 'The Flying Scot', George McGeachie, have to be on the list....as must the Legend that Was, Ray Yeoman.

One other name to conjure with from the Sixties...Les O'Neill - a more than useful midfield/attacking player.

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:24 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: London

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:46 pm

How about Craig Russell? He played for no money and, if my memory serves me correctly, once scored a goal.

User avatar
Santino
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:44 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Santino » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Clayton Fortune

User avatar
doc_64
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:42 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: middlesbrough

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by doc_64 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:25 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:I thought we've all agreed that after what happened

Steve Foster & Ian Miller :clap: :clap: :clap:

are automatically legends in the eyes of every true Darlo Fan
got my vote them two

walshys_wingman_11
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Sinclair and Nattress from the 70s,
Walshy, Speedie from the 80s,
Gregan Blake and Devos from the 90s
Liddle from 00s
then perm any one of 2 from the likes of Skipper, Lloyd,Willis,Crosby, Eddie Rowles,Barber, Prudhoe,Maclean,Airey Macdonald, Stalker,Currie, Kamara, Forster, Wainy, Smudger Smith,Maitland , Knowles, Little and Hodgson.
Pedro Paulo would have to be included even though he only played a couple of games. He was probably the most skillfull player to wear a Darlo shirt in the 30 + years I have been watching DFC.

hartburnquaker
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton on Tees

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by hartburnquaker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Ray Yeoman, John Peverell, George McGeechie, Lance Robson, Jim Lawton, Tony Moor, Brian Henderson, Alan Sproates, Dave McLean, Craig Liddle, Marco Gabbiadini, Dave Currie, David Cork, Carl Airey, Colin Sinclair, Kev Smith off the top of my head.

User avatar
Makka Pakka
Posts: 1221
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Makka Pakka » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:28 pm

From much farther back, David Brown, Bill Tulip, Hugh Dickson, Thomas "Wee" Winship, Bill Hooper.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Sinclair and Nattress from the 70s,
Walshy, Speedie from the 80s,
Gregan Blake and Devos from the 90s
Liddle from 00s
then perm any one of 2 from the likes of Skipper, Lloyd,Willis,Crosby, Eddie Rowles,Barber, Prudhoe,Maclean,Airey Macdonald, Stalker,Currie, Kamara, Forster, Wainy, Smudger Smith,Maitland , Knowles, Little and Hodgson.
Pedro Paulo would have to be included even though he only played a couple of games. He was probably the most skillfull player to wear a Darlo shirt in the 30 + years I have been watching DFC.
I know I put Lloyd Maitland down on my list but I was only about 6-7 at the time. From what I can remember he was really good. Always crossing the ball to Jimmy Seal with pinpoint accuracy, only for the Seal to completely arse it up.

For those around the same time was he really any good or am I just looking through a six year olds eyes?

User avatar
RUMPLESTILTSKIN
Posts: 1688
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: In my own little world

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:52 pm

Earl_Lee_Dawes wrote:Lance Robson. Not so much because of his football skills (or dentistry), but because he didn't travel on the team bus, and went to games in an E-Type Jag accompanied by some dolly-bird (this was the swinging 60's!)

The dolly bird was his wife Barbara, after they were married. Before they were married, who knows. He was also the best amateur player I ever saw. He turned down Darlington's offer of a professional contract more than once. I seem to remember he also turned down either Sunderland or Newcastle as well.

One hell of a player.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

User avatar
RUMPLESTILTSKIN
Posts: 1688
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: In my own little world

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:16 pm

The word legend is often misused.

You cannot be a legend over 3 or 4 years, no matter how many goals you score.

In my opinion, the only one approaching that honour is Ron Greener with 13 years of solid loyal service and over 440 appearances for the club.

Many players have my gratitude and admiration, most have been mentioned in previous posts but, I cannot in all honesty, name one that can stand next to Ron Greener, only the late Brian Henderson comes close.

Of course I may be blinded by the passing of time or confused by the decline of players' sense of loyalty in the 'modern' game.

Anyway long may the game flourish, after folk like me have passed on, so future fans can have the same discussions on the 'legends' still to come.

:)
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

User avatar
Darlospike
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sunny Darlo

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Darlospike » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:37 pm

RUMPLESTILTSKIN wrote:The word legend is often misused.

You cannot be a legend over 3 or 4 years, no matter how many goals you score.

In my opinion, the only one approaching that honour is Ron Greener with 13 years of solid loyal service and over 440 appearances for the club.

Many players have my gratitude and admiration, most have been mentioned in previous posts but, I cannot in all honesty, name one that can stand next to Ron Greener, only the late Brian Henderson comes close.

Of course I may be blinded by the passing of time or confused by the decline of players' sense of loyalty in the 'modern' game.

Anyway long may the game flourish, after folk like me have passed on, so future fans can have the same discussions on the 'legends' still to come.

:)
Hence his name was first on my team sheet.......but i agree with what you say, apart from strodder,great servant to the club that lad ;)
I like exclamation marks!!!

DARLO360
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:00 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by DARLO360 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:48 pm

Craig James

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6253
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Agree with the comment about Pedro Paulo. He was quality.

User avatar
Breedon
Posts: 1840
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: who would be your top 50 darlo legends

Post by Breedon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Franz has to be in their as our all time leading International!

Post Reply