youth team

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

hodgie1
Team Supported: Darlington

youth team

Post by hodgie1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 pm

app weve signed a kid from newcastle called mould, cant remember his first name, app highly rated hes a centre-half, first yr YT , also ive heard good things about phil gray, hes expected to be in contention for a place in the squad by the end of the season, i saw him a couple of times last season, he looked good then- he plays left-back

wylam_rangers

Re: youth team

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 pm

hodgie1 wrote:app weve signed a kid from newcastle called mould, cant remember his first name, app highly rated hes a centre-half, first yr YT , also ive heard good things about phil gray, hes expected to be in contention for a place in the squad by the end of the season, i saw him a couple of times last season, he looked good then- he plays left-back
Gray is excellent - I've already got him on the radar - that's a good call Paul.

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:34 pm

yep, i think phil will be the second gray get into the squad out of the youth team

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 pm

i was talking to Craig Liddle a few weeks ago and he was very optimistic about the crop of lads he has got for this year stating they are the best he has had so far.

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm

in fairness to get 3 1st yr pros out of a batch isnt bad, weve done that 2 yrs in a row now, unfortuntely riley/groves didnt make it, but until recently next to none of the kids were considered to be good enough, i can only think of chris hughes, chris mason, mark mcleod, alex janes, and perhaps a couple of others that have been given the chance, finch is another one in the last 10 yrs, hughes apart, none of the others hardly made an appearance, just shows how far the youth system has come in that time, all credit to lidds and maddo, for carrying on the work started by tait/gray

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Hughes to be honest I thought was good enough and he got a rough deal at the club.

Didn't McGurk come through the ranks?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:08 pm

yep he did, id forgotten about him, i did say and a few others tho, i was trying to think of the forward who made his debut in around 03 as a sub v eveter, he signed pro the same time as janes cant remember his name, he didnt play another game i dont think,

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:11 pm

yep, i liked hughes, his brother craig plays in america now, he shouldve been kept on without a shadow, talented footballer

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 pm

hodgie1 wrote:yep he did, id forgotten about him, i did say and a few others tho, i was trying to think of the forward who made his debut in around 03 as a sub v eveter, he signed pro the same time as janes cant remember his name, he didnt play another game i dont think,
just remembered him it was richard logan

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Mark Kilty and Paul Campbell were also both in the last decade weren't they?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:22 pm

How many games did Mark McLeod get? Seemed to get the odd match over a couple of seasons. I thought he was decent as well, had a good game in the 3-3 at Reading but obviously Penney wasn't keen.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:31 pm

The overall direction of the youth system under Lidds and Maddo has to be one of the most pleasing things to come out of DFC in a long time . . . not only the fact that they're producing young players with first team potential, but that they're also showing young players (and their families) that Darlo is a good place to come and learn their trade.

Anyone know what the funding situation is at present? I know there was an appeal for sponsorship recently.

Dn1

Post by Dn1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 am

Youth is without a doubt one of the best things that has come out of the club in recent years. Tait and Gray kick started it, and Maddo and Liddle took over, taking it to a new height which it has never/hadn't seen in a long while. And I honestly think with the optimism coming from the club, this shizzle' (gotta love eminem) is only going to get better.

I have not said this in many a year - but for once I can only see good things for Darlo FC. Lets hope this vibe continues.

Dn1
"Paris and the fall. The last months of the year and the end of the milenium. The city hold many memories for me...of cafes, of music, of love....and of death...."

Sanctimonius

Post by Sanctimonius » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:08 am

Very proud of the youth system we have, it's given a few first teamers recently. Long may it continue.

Any idea how we rank against other clubs, in our division and in other ones? I feel like we have a good amount of players coming through, no idea how many other teams tend to rely on from their own youth ranks.

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:22 am

i think Campbell and Keltie were late 90s

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:45 am

didn't Barrie Geldart have a big hand in signing young talented players way back? (e.g. spotting the likes of Robbier Blake). Just shows how long its taken to re establish the youth set up.

I'm sure that as well as the training and care of the youths is important - so is the reputation that comes with the setup. So the more young uns that get a chance at 1st team footy, the better the reputation becomes and the more chance we have of attracting even better youth players.

Very much a snowball effect - so well done Lids n Maddo.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:43 am

Really is great to see lads from the local area making it at the first team level especialy in the last few years:

curtic main being watched by fulham
josh gray bing scouted
Corey barnes being put up for the young apprentise of the year award

very promising. but might i ask if the youth team will be playing their games at the RA next season as im keen to go watch them try and see who is looking good for the future

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 pm

I wonder how long it'll be before divas states for a certainty that Phil Gray will never make it as a footballer because he is too young/too skinny/one-footed/three-footed/three-headed/allergic to nuts/all of the above? Or maybe he will just let the player get on with his development for once without the unnecessary demolition of his confidence and destruction of his self-belief.