D.R.A.S.T.I.C

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

isitouryear
Team Supported: Darlington

D.R.A.S.T.I.C

Post by isitouryear » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Darlington Require A Striker To Increase Crowds

Ive seen this on another thread but who actually ran this intiative? How much waqs raised? Was it Darren Roberts we got with that money? I can think of a better time to restart this. its good for the club as a team and brings the fans closer to the team and club. Especially now we are short of a goalscorer.

TinShedDarloFan

Re: D.R.A.S.T.I.C

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Wasnt long term but i remember something being organised so Chris Porter had a wage coming in after Darlington wouldnt pay him, once a decent amount was raised Reynolds turned around and said that Porter would earn a wage

piggy

Post by piggy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:27 pm

I think unfortuately Drastic only manged a few hundred quid, which I presume was given to the club, shame as it was a cracking idea by whoever had it.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Plus of course signing a striker, or signing any number of quality players in any position will not increase crowds.

So the concept was fatally flawed anyway.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:57 pm

It depends who signed them Q and the circumstances surrounding the club at the time.

For whatever reason when Reynolds gave Hodgy a decent budget the crowds, helped in no small part by £ 5.00 admission, responded, when Haughton did the same for Penney they didn't.

A lot of people had seen it all before, a lot of people were turned off for ever after the failure in 2000, a lot of people just couldn't warm to Penney and weren't prepared to give the team (and Penney) a chance.

Its their loss as no matter what any of us thought of him as a man, his style of play, or his tactical ability as a manager, it wil be a long time before we see players of the ability of Pav, Purdie & Austin at the club again.

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:39 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Wasnt long term but i remember something being organised so Chris Porter had a wage coming in after Darlington wouldnt pay him, once a decent amount was raised Reynolds turned around and said that Porter would earn a wage

the chris porter wage issue was started on the messageboard. the club were not paying Chris Porter, so we all decided to start a campaign to raise money to pay him some wages. The site started off the campaign and people pledged a certain amount of money per week to go towards paying him something like £300 a week. After two days we raised the necessary pledges and the national media even got in touch, I was interviewed on 5 live drive about it at the time.

I think it embarassed George Reynolds and he then decided to pay him a wage, stating that he never told Tommy Taylor he couldn't have money for a keeper anyway.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:53 pm

Also, the Supporters' Club and the Supporters' Trust helped to raise over £10k (TASK) for the club to be able to afford to get Danny Graham on loan from Middlesbrough - wasn't there another player at the same time?
This was heavily supported by fans at the time - in an effort to avoid relegation to the Conference.

Darlo_Weststand19

Post by Darlo_Weststand19 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:31 pm

Paul raised a canny sum and the money was paid to Steve Morgon i believe. The lad that raised all the money reads the boards. So he can say if he wants to regarding the outcome.