Friendlies

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

beatroute66
Team Supported: Darlington

Friendlies

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 pm

For the first time ever (I think) I'm going to give the pre-season games a miss, it seems.

Partly because I'm busy with work this week and then off on holiday with my Leeds-living g/friend next week, but also/mainly because I'm tired of every pre-season being the same; I learn very little about new players and my views usually change/shift a few games into the season.

I'm thinking that last pre-season I thought that Griffin and Poole were going to be "the wingers we've needed in ages..." following the friendlies I saw them play in and that a few pre-seasons before that I thought that Simon Johnson was "clearly going to get us 20+ goals this season - what a potentially excellent signing he could be..." and there will be other examples going back, no doubt.

Might just save the cash plus the misguided hype and make my mind up when the real stuff starts. Have just bunged the club £380 via a new season ticket and a car park pass, so it's not as the though the club can grumble that I haven't given them any loot this summer.

Anyone else share my view or am I just being a cynical/lazy git?

comeondarlo

Re: Friendlies

Post by comeondarlo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:08 pm

I've never been to one, I once went to an England friendly and vowed never again.

The key for me is the word 'friendly', other than fitness I see no point to them

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 pm

As Gary Gill once said when he came on a football trip with our school team back in the day:

"No such thing as a friendly, lads..."

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:46 pm

comeondarlo wrote:I've never been to one, I once went to an England friendly and vowed never again.

The key for me is the word 'friendly', other than fitness I see no point to them
Is there such a thing as an England friendly? :)

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm an exiled fan and not been to a friendly in years but feel like big gates for the three friendlies against the big three are important to the club this summer. We need to make as much money out of them as possible.

I will be going to Boro and Newcastle games aswell as Park Avenue away as its 20 mins down the road from me. Will also buy a new shirt as soon as its available. Would urge as many fans to get to the friendlies as possible even if the games themselves are fairly meaningless.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:24 am

friendlies are always crap, but when youve been starved of watching darlo for 2 months you take anything you can get, i'll be going on thursday and sat, if only to experience the arena with a decent amount of people in for one of the very few times! :clap: