Thoughts on Saturday...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TFDM
Team Supported: Darlington

Thoughts on Saturday...

Post by TFDM » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Trying not to get too disappointed with the result. We still aren't a million miles off and if I'm honest I thought we'd be on the fringes for much of the season anyway (with hopefully a late push). Can't pretend the game was entertaining but then again I don't go to Darlo games for entertainment. If I want that I go to a gig or the cinema.

We need to start winning games like this however or we are in danger of never quite making it into the play-off picture. Wrexham were crap yesterday and there for the taking in my view during the first period. Thought we did okay in the first half. We should have had a clear penalty and then we also had the Powell / Hatch chance in the first half. Had either one of those gone in I'm not sure Wrexham would have come back as they were woeful in the first forty-five.

Second half was tepid to say the least. It lacked tempo and any real ideas on how to open up the opposition. Wrexham wasted some decent chances and I thought the longer it went on the more likely we looked for a point. I never thought they'd get their noses in front after missing some pretty easy chances. The chance they scored from was one probably the hardest one of the afternoon.

I don't think the schedule is helping things either. Never known us play so many games so early into the campaign. Nothing has changed for me, we'll still be around the fringes of the play-offs which will be heavily contested. Someone will run away with the top spot before too long (like they always have done in previous years at this level) and leave the rest of to battle it out.

HarryCharltonsCat

Re: Thoughts on Saturday...

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 pm

I think you have to be disappointed with the result, and the performance.

Wrexham were pretty poor - came for a point, hoping that they might get lucky on a break, which they did. Most teams will now do the same, and the evidence is we don't have the wit to break them down. 93 minutes to breakdown Southport, never looked like scoring against York, and yesterday's had 0-0 written all over it for most of the match. One quality cross, one quality header changed the game.

We don't have any tempo to our game, and we fail to build any concerted pressure. We play for throw-ins or freekicks high up the pitch, but don't have anyone to take advantage. No-one has a particularly long throw - case in point in the final few minutes yesterday. Can't remember who it was, but waved everyone into the box, wound himself up, then hit the first defender in the penalty area. Similarly with free-kicks and corners - why the hell does Gary Smith get to take them all. His delivery is apalling. Hatch seems to spend most of his time on his arse. Understandable, as he's probably knackered from all the chasing back he does. But the teams that will do well this year are those with a goalscorer - Kedwell, Barnes-Homer, Tubbs, Reid. Our goalscorers spend 90% of the time out wide. When was the last time we flicked on a ball, for someone to run free on goal? The new lad has pace to burn, but we never looked to give him anything to run on to.

Until Chandler came on, no-one in the midfield was prepared to get forward, have a shot, anything. Smith and Terry are fine when you need to break up the other team's play. When the other team aren't really looking to play, they offer us nothing creatively. Poor McReady - the lad is given a full game, but made to look clueless because he likes it to feet and to look for a pass, and 9 times out of 10 the ball's lumped over his head. He was the only one who took any time on the ball yesterday, but I'm afraid his talent is wasted with these tactics.

This type of football will only be tolerated if it's successful. Don't mind how we play as long as we get three points being most fans view - see Southport game forconfirmation. 90 Mins forgotten when winnner scored. If not successful, then no-one's going to pay £18 to watch a boring, ugly game of football.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:23 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:why the hell does Gary Smith get to take them all. His delivery is apalling.
I can only assume its because he's one of the smallest players on the pitch and no threat in the oppo's box.

I'd like to see Arnison & Brown take corners.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Smith floats corners in rather than whipping them in with pace, and Smith also has an aversion to running at the opposition with the ball.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Stan_Darlo

Post by Stan_Darlo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Smith's on borrowed time i feel, Chandler should start the next game and McGready deserves a run in the side despite being fairly poor on Saturday.

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:51 am

Preseason it was obvious we had a team capable of keeping teams out but with little or nothing going forward. When we have scored goals it has mostly been against the poor teams.

Colin Todd had smith and chandler in midfield and never created chances so why should we be surprised now? We have decent forwards, no width and no creative midfield. As such we result in hoofing long balls to hatch etc hoping that will break teams down. We cannot even create a chance from a set piece.

That said I would rather play badly and still have enough points on the board and time to put things right. I would be surprised of cooper cannot see the failings in the team. Above all the crowds are now falling and will only get worse as the weather does.
Reno Raines