Curtis Main

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjmick
Team Supported: Darlington

Curtis Main

Post by jjmick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:42 pm

His contract is up at the end of the season, would you renew his contract or not? and why?

Personally, depending on the wage he would be on, I would as I feel he has some potential that we could benefit from.
Darlo till I die!!

D_F_C

Re: Curtis Main

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:50 pm

I would keep him, i doubt he'll demand a massive wage, but i would warn against complacency

DL5

Post by DL5 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm

jjmick wrote:His contract is up at the end of the season, would you renew his contract or not? and why?

Personally, depending on the wage he would be on, I would as I feel he has some potential that we could benefit from.
I'd keep him as a cheap squad player, I doubt he's going to be anything "special" now. Burst onto the scene at 15 in league 2 and blossomed into a fringe player in the BSP at 18 :think:

reidy93

Re:Curtis Main

Post by reidy93 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 pm

if i was the manager i would get rid because even though his attitude has improve slightly i still it could be improved. He has gone from being one of the best prospects around to being fairly average even below average. I rate the like of mcready,barnes and smith more than main.

If we did keep though i would look to ship him out on loan.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:52 pm

In the last 2 home games, he's played well. If he can carry on like that, he'll be a useful player to have, and well worth another contract.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:07 pm

I'd judge him over the next 3 months.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I'd keep him. At the end of the day he's still only 18 and far from the finished article. He's a decent backup striker and hopefully can push on in his development while he's in that role.

I do think he needs to do some growing up though, a good loan spell where he's banging in the goals would do him the world of good.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Quakerz wrote:I'd judge him over the next 3 months.
What Quakerz says.

Its time for Main to step up now, his last two home performances have been promising but he needs that & more to earn a deal for next season.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:I'd judge him over the next 3 months.
What Quakerz says.

Its time for Main to step up now, his last two home performances have been promising but he needs that & more to earn a deal for next season.

I think he's realised that he needs to win us back - after Penney left he took himself for granted.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 pm

It could work in our favour. Main has till the end of the season to impress and warrant a new contract offer. If a decision had to made at this moment, I'd not renew. Hope he proves me wrong.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 am

fat tony wrote:I'd keep him. At the end of the day he's still only 18 and far from the finished article. He's a decent backup striker and hopefully can push on in his development while he's in that role.

I do think he needs to do some growing up though, a good loan spell where he's banging in the goals would do him the world of good.
What he said. 18 is still incredibly young and there's plenty of time for development yet.

I sometimes think that just because Wayne Rooney and the like burst onto the scene at 16 etc that people begin to think that if you haven't peaked by the time you're 18 then you're no good.

David Beckham, as an example, was 17 when he made his professional debut for Man Utd, but didn't establish himself in their side until he was 21.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 am

look at carroll at newcastle, he's 22 and has only just started showing what he can do.

i'm confident main will do something similar for darlo if we keep hold of him.

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 pm

He's scored 2 once and been MOTM once in his last two games. He is 18 and cheap.

I really do question what some Darlo fans want sometimes

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 pm

bedaledarlo wrote:He's scored 2 once and been MOTM once in his last two games. He is 18 and cheap.

He's not the kind of cheap 18 year old most of them would like.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:24 pm

bedaledarlo wrote:He's scored 2 once and been MOTM once in his last two games. He is 18 and cheap.

Dont kid yourself that you are in any way the voice of reason though, ok bedale?

On subject, Main should be kept if he carries his recent form through the rest of the season. However, if the bored looking, shoudler shrugging, attitude returns he should be shipped out.

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:41 pm

I support the players Jazz, especially those who truly want to make it here, thats what I thought being a fan was about. I make no apologies for it.

As such I reiterate that Chris Senior is an excellent player and invite anyone else to contradict me.

Look at Coop's post match comments and tell me he doesn't think Chandler is excellent.

Its an opinions board, but it is amusing in the extreme that someone as abusive on this message board as you tend to be can talk about voices of reason! :D

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:44 pm

BishopQuaker wrote:

He's not the kind of cheap 18 year old most of them would like.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hahahahahahaa
Think before posting

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 pm

bedaledarlo wrote:I support the players Jazz, especially those who truly want to make it here, thats what I thought being a fan was about. I make no apologies for it.
Whats that got to do with whether Main should be offered a contract or not? Do you know him personally or something? If Main keeps up his recent work on the field, people will support him, if he goes back to his cant be arsed stage theyll want him gone.
As such I reiterate that Chris Senior is an excellent player and invite anyone else to contradict me.
What the fuck does Chris Senior have to do with this thread or Curtis Main's contract?
Look at Coop's post match comments and tell me he doesn't think Chandler is excellent.
The fact Chandler has barely figured would suggest Cooper doesnt think he is excellent. Also, learn another adjective other than 'excellent' will you. Its vaguely embarrassing watching you describe alright players like Chandler as excellent.

1Superlidds

Post by 1Superlidds » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:55 pm

I would keep him for next season, he has had as tough a baptism into the pro game as any kid will get. Straight in to the first team of a club in administration and not even having reached 16, then expected to play a regular part in a team that remained on its uppers which never saw any settling of squad.

This season should have seen him able to take a back spot and just be brought in as and when he is needed not being considered as a regular frontliner, however he remains in the starting line up. Far better that we had a consistent and regular forward line with cover so he could go on loan to a semi decent non-league club or to play for a League club reserve team (as he did at Bury) and work on his game without the pressures from the supporters.

With no reserve team to fall back into, where the kids should go to as an intermediate step before the First Team its been tough for the youth team players coming through but on the whole they have done fine, they just need a lil more support and a lil less pressure.
click on Facebook PIMM Productions for the latest on Darlo Till I Die

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm

The lad is barely 18 years old, what do some fans actually expect?

His biggest issue is that he was overexposed and over-relied upon too early. He now has a weight of expectation from the supporters that is unjustified.

He may not be ready for a regular place in the starting line up for another 3 seasons, but as long as he is capable of developing to the appropriate level and can contribute to the squad I don't see the problem.

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

1Superlidds wrote:I would keep him for next season, he has had as tough a baptism into the pro game as any kid will get. Straight in to the first team of a club in administration and not even having reached 16, then expected to play a regular part in a team that remained on its uppers which never saw any settling of squad.

This season should have seen him able to take a back spot and just be brought in as and when he is needed not being considered as a regular frontliner, however he remains in the starting line up. Far better that we had a consistent and regular forward line with cover so he could go on loan to a semi decent non-league club or to play for a League club reserve team (as he did at Bury) and work on his game without the pressures from the supporters.

With no reserve team to fall back into, where the kids should go to as an intermediate step before the First Team its been tough for the youth team players coming through but on the whole they have done fine, they just need a lil more support and a lil less pressure.
i agree, id keep him, m smith, and mcready for definate, j gray needs to up a gear, barnes hasnt figured at all so i think he'll go, out of the next batch, i think nick thompson, p gray, dan burn and lee collings will be there or there abouts, poss baxter is an outside bet - like lidds say the youngsters need a bit more support rather than getting slaughtered on here - its a huge jump from youth team footie to the first team - fans need to be patient -

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:03 pm

hodgie1 wrote:
1Superlidds wrote:I would keep him for next season, he has had as tough a baptism into the pro game as any kid will get. Straight in to the first team of a club in administration and not even having reached 16, then expected to play a regular part in a team that remained on its uppers which never saw any settling of squad.

i agree, id keep him, m smith, and mcready for definate, j gray needs to up a gear, barnes hasnt figured at all so i think he'll go, out of the next batch, i think nick thompson, p gray, dan burn and lee collings will be there or there abouts, poss baxter is an outside bet - like lidds say the youngsters need a bit more support rather than getting slaughtered on here - its a huge jump from youth team footie to the first team - fans need to be patient -
Flipp. When the kids step up from the YT to pro do they get a 2yr pro deal or is it 1yr with a year's optional extension? What options do we have when their 2yr "baby pro" deal is up and how much hold do we have on the 2nd yr pros? :?:

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I see no reason why he shouldn't stay. He could improve and break into the starting line up on a regular basis, if that doesn't happen then he is always going to be a useful bench warmer or cover if we get a host of injuries/suspensions/fixture pile up (like in Jan/Feb this year!). He certainly isn't going to command any high wages so is a relatively cheap option.
COME ON DARLO!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:I see no reason why he shouldn't stay. He could improve and break into the starting line up on a regular basis, if that doesn't happen then he is always going to be a useful bench warmer or cover if we get a host of injuries/suspensions/fixture pile up (like in Jan/Feb this year!). He certainly isn't going to command any high wages so is a relatively cheap option.
Exactly. I'd much rather have the likes of Curtis Main and Michael Smith filling the squad than aged, journeymen such as Lee Thorpe, Jefferson Louis and Sean Gregan.

1. They are home-grown.
2. They are significantly cheaper than the journeymen.
3. They have a potential re-sale value.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Beano wrote:Exactly. I'd much rather have the likes of Curtis Main and Michael Smith filling the squad than aged, journeymen such as Lee Thorpe, Jefferson Louis and Sean Gregan.

1. They are home-grown.
Would that be the home-grown, cheaper than the journeymen and sold for a substantial fee, aged journeyman Sean Gregan?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Beano wrote:The lad is barely 18 years old, what do some fans actually expect?

His biggest issue is that he was overexposed and over-relied upon too early. He now has a weight of expectation from the supporters that is unjustified.

He may not be ready for a regular place in the starting line up for another 3 seasons, but as long as he is capable of developing to the appropriate level and can contribute to the squad I don't see the problem.
I agree - if he had banged a few goals in already then he would not be with us next season someone would have taken a punt on him. Hopefully we sill get a good season ou of him if he does move on in the future
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 pm

OHDFC wrote:
Beano wrote:Exactly. I'd much rather have the likes of Curtis Main and Michael Smith filling the squad than aged, journeymen such as Lee Thorpe, Jefferson Louis and Sean Gregan.

1. They are home-grown.
Would that be the home-grown, cheaper than the journeymen and sold for a substantial fee, aged journeyman Sean Gregan?
In reference to those clamouring for his signing this season.

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:51 pm

He may of missed 2 sitters today but you can't criticize his work rate and passion for Darlington FC. Nearly a cracker of a goal in the early stages but well saved. He just needs to keep his head up :)

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Darlo.For.Life wrote:He may of missed 2 sitters today but you can't criticize his work rate and passion for Darlington FC. Nearly a cracker of a goal in the early stages but well saved. He just needs to keep his head up :)
Yes then he might get some fooking direction on his headers. Couldn't question his workrate today or on Monday, but his finishing has been laughable. On Monday we SHOULD have had 6 or 7 but didn't, and today we created enough to grab a well deserved win but didn't.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Poorish again today. I don't think Cooper can afford to keep him in the team any longer. We need a regular goalscorer, sadly that's something Curtis has never been.