Best home game at Feethams, then at the Arena

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Best home game at Feethams, then at the Arena

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Just been thinking about the best games home games I have witnessed at these grounds, and was curious and what other peoples was, over the years!

For me;
Feethams:
Think it has the be the Hartlepool United game in the 1999/2000 play-off season. Atmosphere was absolutely electric, beating the scum top put ourselves to Wembley was immense. To to it off, the Strodder own goal. Gorr, I will never forget that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1vNtl7I4ME

The Northern Echo Darlington Arena:
For me the game against Luton Town in 2008/2009 season. We ripped Luton apart that day, 4-0 up in 28 minutes. Just brilliant it was, absolutely brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47D-0qanYc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvBb9LhY ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFVJ9gz4 ... re=related

Darlogramps

Re: Best home game at Feethams, then at the Arena

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm

My first Darlo game ever was in 2000 and it was a 1-0 win over Barnet. Paul Campbell scored in the 10th minute I think. Thats probably my favourite for obvious personal reasons.

At the Arena, it's got to be the play-off win over Rochdale. The atmosphere that day was terrific, made all the more better by Miller scoring the winner in the last minute.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:31 pm

i never went to a game at feethams :thumbdown: as i was only young when we moved to the arena and i was the only 1 that liked darlo at the time.

my best home game at the arena was either the rochdale play-off game or the bradford game when we won 2-1.. both quality games and cant choose my favourite

fanforlife

Post by fanforlife » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:38 pm

for me at feethams it has to be the 2-1 fa cup 3rd round replay win against middlesbrough in january 1985 . garry macdonald and phil lloyd were the quakers heroes.

at the arena probably hodgys fundraising game if only because it was fantastic to see around 14000 people in the ground.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:42 pm

At Feethams, would probably be the Hartlepool play off final. I also have fond memories of the match in the same season, I think against Shrewsbury, where we were 2 nil down, and got 2 late goals, one from Jesper Hjorth, and one from a Hecky long throw to maintain our unbeaten run (we'd won the previos 6 I think).

At the Arena....the Rochdale play off match. Closely followed by the Luton 5-1 game. And the Bristol Rovers match this season will be well up there.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:44 pm

If I'm not restricted to single games I have a few 'favourites' for different reasons which are....

Feethams

Darlo 5-1 Mansfield, February 1999

This was the first game I ever went to at Feethams this was an impressive result considering Mansfield were 1-0 up at half time, I think Mario Dorner scored that day along with Gabba's, can't remember who else!

Darlo 4-0 Exeter, May 1999

The final home game of the 1998/99 season which saw the arrival of George Reynolds! I think it was before this game he stood in the centre circle and announced we would be in the premiership in 5 years time and playing in a new 25,000 seater stadium!

I also remember that it was third time lucky as this it had been postponed twice previously, the Exeter fans had already travelled on both occasions!

I can't rememember much of the game itself but I do recall Gary Bennett scoring! Even though the season was over there was a good atmosphere that night and a real buzz around the club, I think everyone there believed we'd struck gold....

Darlo 4-0 Halifax, December 1999

If I remember rightly this was the game we played before going to Villa after winning the 'wild card' in the FA Cup. It was absolutely baltic that day! But what I remember is the gueese flying over the ground from the South Park and the Tin Shed started doing the dam busters tune! :D

Darlo 1-0 Hartlepool, Play off Semi Final, second leg, May 2000

Self explantory, Gray Strodders own goal that night was priceless!

Darlo 2-2 Hartlepool, March 2003

Final derby game at Feethams, at the time the foolies were well clear at the top of the league and the sensible money would have been on them to walk away with it that day. But we managed to get a draw despite going down to ten men (was it Simon Betts who got sent off? Anyone?!) in what was arugably our best performance in what was yet another disappointing season!

Another amusing incident that day was the referee being taken out by the ball, a good day a good performance and the best atmosphere at a home game for some time!

Darlo 2-2 Leyton Orient, May 2003

The Feethams finale, carnival atmosphere that day although we couldn't send the old ground off with a victory Wainy's equaliser late on the second half after we'd trailed 2-0 at half time was immense, you'd think we'd won the league!

As for the White Elephant....

The 2004 fundraiser

I know this wasn't a competitive fixture it was still a great day and a great occasion for the club. Although it was a season to forget on and off the pitch the turn out for this was unbelievable! I don't think anybody would have dreamt about seeing a crowd of 14,000. Seeing the likes of Gazza, Bryan Robson, Kenny Dalglish at Darlo was fantastic

The highlight for me that day was Gazza faking injury and when Goffy our physio at the time went over to him he shook his hand and got back up!

Darlo 4-0 Macclesfield, August 2006

First game of the 2006/07 season there was renewed optimism and ambition at the club after the arrival of George Houghton and we made a dream start that day with big Bazza getting a hatrick!!!

Darlo 3-2 Grimsby, March 2008

After going 2-0 down Abbott stole the show and got us back into it with two goals before half time! One of best performances i remember from Pav during his time here when he wasn't injured! :evil:

Darlo 2-1 Rochdale, Play off semi final, first leg, May 2008

Again self explanatory bumper crowd, great atmosphere and Jason Kennedy's goal that day was the greatest I've seen from any Darlo player.

Darlo 3-0 Dagenham, October 2008

A very good performance and result that day but the highlight was the Dagenham goalkeeper Tony Roberts response to the Darlo fans in the West Stand chanting "You fat b@stard" he did some strange poses, he must have been the only Dagenham player there that day who managed to keep his sense of humour as they were comfortably beaten in the end!

Darlo 5-1 Luton, January 2009

Again self explanatory, the best performance I saw from any Darlo side in my time supporting the club.

Despite all that though the best game at the White Elephant has yet to come.... no matter what the result, the last one ;)
Last edited by quaker4life on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

BeefSpud

Post by BeefSpud » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm

The 'home' win against Burnley in the cup a few years back is the one game that sticks out in my mind. To come back from two goals down to win 3-2 in a hugely entertaining game.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm

I'll add the Man City FA Cup tie at Feethams too. I know they were only 1 division aove us, but they were a big name, and we put in a fantastic performance. Bennett scored (I think)

BeefSpud

Post by BeefSpud » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 pm

He did indeed, with a trademark header if I remember correctly. A certain Paul Dickov got their equaliser I believe.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:53 pm

quaker4life wrote:

Final derby game at Feethams, at the time the foolies were well clear at the top of the league and the sensible money would have been on them to walk away with it that day. But we managed to get a draw despite going down to ten men (was it Simon Betts who got sent off? Anyone?!) in what was arugably our best performance in what was yet another disappointing season!
Was that the game when Andy Collett played an absolute storming superhuman performance to keep us in the game, or was that earlier than 2003?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Spyman wrote:
quaker4life wrote:

Was that the game when Andy Collett played an absolute storming superhuman performance to keep us in the game, or was that earlier than 2003?
I think that was in 2000/01 I didn't attend the game that season but people were talking about for a while afterwards! I think he had a bit of a blinder when we played them at home in the league the year before as well!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

darlo999

Post by darlo999 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:58 pm

The Feethams one has to be the win against poolie in the playoffs.

The Arena one has to be a 3-1 win against Cheltenham. One nil down with 15 mins to go thinking we will never get anything out of the game, then Wainwright bangs one in followed by Jonjo Dickman (what a player btw) and Ndumbu-Nsungu in the last minute.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm

I know I wasn't around at the time, but I would have thought the 4-1 win over Chelsea in 1958 would be one the list for the best game at Feethams
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AndyPark

Re:

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 pm

BeefSpud wrote:The 'home' win against Burnley in the cup a few years back is the one game that sticks out in my mind. To come back from two goals down to win 3-2 in a hugely entertaining game.
I'm now waiting for some little smartarse to come along and say "That game wasn't at Feethams, it was at Middlesbrough's ground"

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I know I wasn't around at the time, but I would have thought the 4-1 win over Chelsea in 1958 would be one the list for the best game at Feethams
Depends if you was there to actually there to witness that game. If you are now in at least late 50's.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm

darlo999 wrote: The Arena one has to be a 3-1 win against Cheltenham. One nil down with 15 mins to go thinking we will never get anything out of the game, then Wainwright bangs one in followed by Jonjo Dickman (what a player btw) and Ndumbu-Nsungu in the last minute.
Is that in the game where Bob Taylor scored for Cheltenham?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Can only say for Feethams because I've only been to the Arena a couple of times.

Two games stick out for me - Darlington 0 Wolves 4 in the cup (I think around 1998) was one of the most pulsating matches I've been to. Yes, we got beat, but that scoreline was so unjust.

and...

"Suu-per, super Ron, Suu-per, super Ron..."

Some will just know which game I mean and some won't have the foggiest.

Of course, I mean the one with "THAT" goal in it.
Last edited by Mr_Tibbs on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I think the home game against Pools in the play offs was an anti-climax after the away leg - the atmosphere there was 10 ten times better than at Feethams and we had the tie wrapped up after we went 3 up on aggregate early on....

For me has to be the 2-1 win against the Boro in the Cup ( my first game was 1977) nothing compares to Feethams that night...

The Arena ? Rochdale at home in the play-offs just edges it...

PJPoolie
Team Supported: Pools

Post by PJPoolie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:39 pm

KCChiefs wrote:I think the home game against Pools in the play offs was an anti-climax after the away leg - the atmosphere there was 10 ten times better than at Feethams and we had the tie wrapped up after we went 3 up on aggregate early on....

For me has to be the 2-1 win against the Boro in the Cup ( my first game was 1977) nothing compares to Feethams that night...

Exactly, that game was awful after the early own goal I fail to remember anything else happening, plus it was played on one of the worst surfaces in modern football league history.

Add to that with the money you spent and the players you had it was a very poor that you were even in the play offs that season.

I understand beating us in the play offs would be memorable, but if that's the best game you saw at Feethams I hope you didn't see many. We overachieved to even make them that season, you underachieved to.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:45 pm

PJPoolie wrote:
KCChiefs wrote:I think the home game against Pools in the play offs was an anti-climax after the away leg - the atmosphere there was 10 ten times better than at Feethams and we had the tie wrapped up after we went 3 up on aggregate early on....

Exactly, that game was awful after the early own goal I fail to remember anything else happening, plus it was played on one of the worst surfaces in modern football league history.

Add to that with the money you spent and the players you had it was a very poor that you were even in the play offs that season.

I understand beating us in the play offs would be memorable, but if that's the best game you saw at Feethams I hope you didn't see many. We overachieved to even make them that season, you underachieved to.
Bitterest post ever?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

PJPoolie
Team Supported: Pools

Post by PJPoolie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Not at all, I've got no cause for bitterness. Look at what has happened since. FFS it was 11 years ago.

Are you going to tell me it was a good game? It's wasn't. That 2-2 that was mentioned when you were down to ten men was a far better match.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 pm

At Feethams it has to be the midweek League game against Doncaster. Terrible first half, then we blitzed them in the second half and won 5-0.

At the Arena I'd also have to go for that home Televised game against Bradford, when the Bergmister got the winner at the end of the game. The other game I'm surprised nobody's mentioned was another midweek game at home to Swansea in the snow. The football was fantastic and we won it right at the end.

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 pm

The cup games against Boro and Shef Wed were memorable at Feethams but my all time favourite was when we beat Pools 5-2 in 1982 after being 2-0 down inside 20 mins.
We pulled one back just before half time before Alan Walsh ran riot, scoring all four in the 2nd half to secure the win.
Not too many memorable games at the Arena, sadly, though the demolition of Luton stands out along with the play off game with Rochdale

BeefSpud

Post by BeefSpud » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 pm

BeefSpud wrote:
The 'home' win against Burnley in the cup a few years back is the one game that sticks out in my mind. To come back from two goals down to win 3-2 in a hugely entertaining game.
I'm now waiting for some little smartarse to come along and say "That game wasn't at Feethams, it was at Middlesbrough's ground"
I knew that anyway, hence the 'home' part of my post.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:30 am

Didn't attend many particularly memorable games at Feethams but if I was to pick one from the 4 years I've been going to the Arena then, like many, the Rochdale playoff semi stands out. Big crowd, incredible atmosphere, Kennedy's goal was incredible, fantastic "advert for lower league football" as Sky always like to put it, and late drama when Miller won it in injury time. I don't think I've heard a goal celebrated like that at the Arena since.

It's just a shame the trip to Spotland (still the only time I've seen Darlo away) was memorable for the wrong reasons :(
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

darlo999

Post by darlo999 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 am

Is that in the game where Bob Taylor scored for Cheltenham?[/quote]
someone called Connelly for them in the 2005/06 season.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

BeefSpud

Post by BeefSpud » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 am

He's got a point though.

tony1947

Post by tony1947 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Feethams

As mentioned 1958 FA Cup 4th round replay 4-1 versus Chelsea.
Scored 3 goals in 5 minutes in extra time (see British Pathe News website).
This after drawing 3-3 at Stamford Bridge having led 3-0.

Jamm

Post by Jamm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:44 pm

At Feethams, the 2-0 win over Rochdale in 1991 to clinch the Division Four championship. Tin Shed packed by 2pm, great atmosphere, got the result we wanted, the glory days!
At the 23,000 empty red seats arena, the 5-1 win over Luton two years ago. Made so much better by my mate from Luton being there (owner of the inflateable spiderman that got confiscated by the stewards!), who at uni (nearly 20 years ago!) went on about Luton being a big club and us being nothing, and in fact still does, bloody southerners!

Duffelcoatman

Post by Duffelcoatman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:49 am

Feethams - the 4-0 demolition of the Hangers in 91/92ish, Lee Ellison got 2, was just amazing. The play off game against them was poor we just saw the game out after the early goal, the first leg at the Vic had a bit of everything.

At the pink seated empty folly, Rochdale play off was a cracker
@hobartpaving76 on twitter