Super Kevin Gall

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Weststand19
Team Supported: Darlington

Super Kevin Gall

Post by Darlo_Weststand19 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Well done scored for Darlo NICE 1

fat tony

Re: Super Kevin Gall

Post by fat tony » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:43 pm

I'll hold my hands up - I was mortified that we re-signed him. Thought he was awful in his loan spell and even worse when he's come up against us.... However his enthusiasm and work-rate today was a joy to watch. Took his goal well and put in a great shift, fully deserved man of the match.

He's probably still not the answer up front - there was one comically weak shot and another time when we broke two on one but he got the ball stuck in his legs - but he gave us exactly what we've been missing today.

Does beg the question though - why is a bloke who didn't have a club until last week so significantly fitter and sharper than the rest of our team?
Last edited by fat tony on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:54 pm

One goal won't win over the fans though, and one bad game won't warrant a shed load of stick. Let's see how he gets on in the next few games.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 pm

That performance should really silence his critics.

With him and Chandler biting ankles the whole team suddenly raised their game and got the crowd on their side. More of this please!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

reddy

Post by reddy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:15 pm

yer right wylam ,with your football clout we have have a long way to go

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:09 am

He looked a lot fitter than when he was last with us. A few more performanaces like yesterday's and he'll win over all the doubters.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:16 am

I wasn't there yesterday but it sounds like you're talking about a different player to the one I remember (Gall that is).

Chandler was very good at Vale too

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:26 am

From start to finish Gall played well, chased down everything and was getting shots in which our other strikers are failing to do, took his goal very well and deserved the man of the match award

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:03 pm

i knew he would play well and score goals for us while he is here.... nice to see some of the doubters praise him.... well done gall keep it up! :clap:

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:22 pm

Get the boy signed up on a proper contract NOW!

I've had a few looks at his goal again and the anticipation that the defender was going to miss his jump, the first touch, movement across the box and finish convinces me that he will comfortably replace Mr Abbott.

His work ethic and chasing down will put a lot of defences on the back foot so that they daren't push up too far and that will let us play in their half.

reddy

Post by reddy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:26 pm

I wasn't there yesterday but it sounds like you're talking about a different player to the one I remember (Gall that is).
err me to,and as for a contract, your havin a laugh.

Santino

Post by Santino » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:52 pm

reddy wrote:I wasn't there yesterday but it sounds like you're talking about a different player to the one I remember (Gall that is).
err me to,and as for a contract, your havin a laugh.
So you weren't there but are happy to criticise? Nice one.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Gall has scored 42 goals in 303 appearances. Less than 5 goals a season I make it.

Ok he scored and played well yesterday but his stats are shocking, why should we believe he's suddenly decent based on 1 game?

I think this will end in huge disappointment when he fails to deliver. It's a pity people will be expecting great things from him.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:19 pm

DL5 wrote:Gall has scored 42 goals in 303 appearances. Less than 5 goals a season I make it.

Ok he scored and played well yesterday but his stats are shocking, why should we believe he's suddenly decent based on 1 game?

I think this will end in huge disappointment when he fails to deliver. It's a pity people will be expecting great things from him.
Cynical TWAT !

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:36 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:
DL5 wrote:Gall has scored 42 goals in 303 appearances. Less than 5 goals a season I make it.

Cynical TWAT !
Realistic TWAT if you please.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:03 am

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:45 am

I think people are getting a bit carried away here.

Kevin Gall put in a good performance against Cheltenham, agreed, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. It'll take a fair few more decent performances to remove the slight cringe I still get from seeing the name 'Gall' on our teamsheet.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:35 am

wylam_rangers wrote:Get the boy signed up on a proper contract NOW!

I've had a few looks at his goal again and the anticipation that the defender was going to miss his jump, the first touch, movement across the box and finish convinces me that he will comfortably replace Mr Abbott.

His work ethic and chasing down will put a lot of defences on the back foot so that they daren't push up too far and that will let us play in their half.
And he was poor at Port Vale.

Getting he signed up after one very average performance and one good performance. having seen several average performances from him last time round, would be very ill advised.

To suggest he will comfortably replace Abbott, the best forward we've had since Gabbiadini, makes you look like a bit of a fool to say the least.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
wylam_rangers wrote:Get the boy signed up on a proper contract NOW!

And he was poor at Port Vale.

Getting he signed up after one very average performance and one good performance. having seen several average performances from him last time round, would be very ill advised.

To suggest he will comfortably replace Abbott, the best forward we've had since Gabbiadini, makes you look like a bit of a fool to say the least.

Oh dear - that touched a nerve.

He played 38 minutes at Port Vale, coming on for Windass. Dowson came on for Thorpe at 70 and in the last 20 mins there was more action which led to us winning a penalty.

I did not see his previous stay at the club but playing with broken ribs would hardly improve performances.

Please note that I am not suggesting for a minute that he is or will be a better player than Abbott but that he will comfortably replace him in the position - or would you rather continue playing Thorpe and Windass up front?

Also remember that we do not have the services of Dowson, Chandler, Cook and Porritt forever. So Gall and Main with Windass/Thorpe playing behind them may be the only formation we actually "own".

Eaststandbaldie

Post by Eaststandbaldie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:48 pm

Thats 2 in 2 for Gall :thumbup:

2 in 2 year that is :think:

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Hawkeye wrote:"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw.

:clap: :lol:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:44 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:

Oh dear - that touched a nerve.

He played 38 minutes at Port Vale, coming on for Windass. Dowson came on for Thorpe at 70 and in the last 20 mins there was more action which led to us winning a penalty.

I did not see his previous stay at the club but playing with broken ribs would hardly improve performances.

Please note that I am not suggesting for a minute that he is or will be a better player than Abbott but that he will comfortably replace him in the position - or would you rather continue playing Thorpe and Windass up front?

Also remember that we do not have the services of Dowson, Chandler, Cook and Porritt forever. So Gall and Main with Windass/Thorpe playing behind them may be the only formation we actually "own".
I'm not judging him on his performance at Port Vale, which was anonymous. Just as you shouldn't judge him on his perofrmance on Saturday. He's on non-contract terms so that we don't have to judge him immediately - Todd can take his time before committing money to him. God knows we can't afford to take uneccessary gambles at the moment.

By saying he can 'comfortably replace' Abbott, you are saying that he is able to comfortably do the same job as Abbott could do. This is clearly a flase statement and you should've chosen your words a little better.

Something along the lines of "Gall will never be able to replace Abbott, but may be a better option than playing Thorpe and Windass together", would've done nicely.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:41 am

If Gall could actually kick a ball he'd be a good footballer and actually score a few. From what i saw on Saturday its obvious he has a very good football brain, but his touch lets him down which is quite fundamental for a footballer.

The goal he scored was reward for him willing to gamble and anticipate the defender would miss the ball - something that very few strikers at this level seem to have the nouse to do.

His movement for his chance he blasted wide in the first half was also what made the chance. If only he could learn to kick a football properly, he'd probably be a good player - trouble is, at this time in his career its unlikely to happen

I thought we looked a different team when Windass went off and Dowson came on - Windass needs the ball directly to his feet which few of our team are able to do, so he ends up being isolated for large parts of the game. Dowson and Gall's workrate gave the team an extra dimension and we finished much the stronger team.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:13 am

mrcoops1984 wrote:The only thing I like about Gall is his pace. With pace like that he will be a big asset to our side. I cannot remember the last player we had who had anywhere near his pace. With pace in your side you are at a massive advantage. I cannot see the Gall and Thorpe partnership working though. We will just hoof it to Thorpe throughout the game. When really we should be getting the ball down, Thorpe holding it up and playing Gall through on goal.
If we are getting the ball down, we dont need Thorpe, we'd be better with a more mobile partnership - why have a tall striker who doesnt seem to be able to score if we're wanting to play on the floor. Dowson for his lack of presence did well on Sat to get his body in front of the Cheltenham defence and win his fair share.

You also talk about pace - i agree, at this level its what sets teams apart - so why would you want Thorpe to hold it up and slow the game down? We need to be set up to counter imo - we have 2 young pacy wingers and a potentially pacy forward line with a solidish defence (full backs are still a big question mark for me). when the game got stretched on sat at 1-1 and Cheltenham looked for a winner, we were able to counter and played arguably our best football of the season

Chandler is the main man for me when getting the ball down is concerned though, everytime he won the ball on Saturday he looked to get it under control and play a ball along the ground and forwards - simple but effective.