River fishing

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Free_Transfer
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: River fishing

Post by Free_Transfer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Do a lot of sea fishing myself, bagged a decent 4lb cod on Friday night, Sunday dinner sorted.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:24 pm

I have fish for tea. Got some tuna for later

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 am

Well i'm not into all the fancy stuff and i seem to do alright...fishing should be good this afty as the tide comes back in, should start coming back about 12 midday if you're going for a look down.

As for beach casting, depends on your rod but i use 6oz 'beach bombs' and 4oz 'breakaway lead' weights on depending how rough the sea is...the bombs roll about whereas the breakaway more or less stay put. A relatively small hook does the job, mackeral has always been the best bait for me. Take gloves though it fooooooooking stinks.

Sea fishing trumps river fishing ;)

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 am

Going to the fishmonger is easier!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm

My Mrs wants to take up river fishing. Is Blackwell a good place or are there better places near Darlington. She is a novice so I was going to pick up a cheap rod at Aldis.

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Snapped my rod this afternoon :oops: turns out it can't hack a good yank when the line is stuck...

Gutted!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:25 pm

princes town wrote:My Mrs wants to take up river fishing. Is Blackwell a good place or are there better places near Darlington. She is a novice so I was going to pick up a cheap rod at Aldis.
Jubilee Lakes might be a good place to start her out?

http://www.jubileelakes.com/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:37 am

Hilly wrote:
princes town wrote:My Mrs wants to take up river fishing. Is Blackwell a good place or are there better places near Darlington. She is a novice so I was going to pick up a cheap rod at Aldis.

But this is trout lake unless i'm mistaken and is fly fishing only, not sure PT's Mrs is looking to fly fish.

Learning to course fish on a still water is much easier than a fast flowing river like the Tees, You can consistently hit the same spot on a pond and know the depth etc then all you need to worry about is learning the art of deception.

I used to fish Blackwell many years ago and it was always a good stretch of water indeed, living down in Lincolnshire now they do not know what a river is and as a result i'm fishing an old trout lake this year for course fish and having a whale of a time, 2 1/2lb perch, 1 1/2lb roach, 18lb carp, 6lb bream, 5lb tench have all been pulled out in the 1st 2 sessions so i'm looking forward to the water warming up as a 20lb+ carp and 3lb perch must be on the cards

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:
Hilly wrote:

But this is trout lake unless i'm mistaken and is fly fishing only, not sure PT's Mrs is looking to fly fish.

Learning to course fish on a still water is much easier than a fast flowing river like the Tees, You can consistently hit the same spot on a pond and know the depth etc then all you need to worry about is learning the art of deception.

I used to fish Blackwell many years ago and it was always a good stretch of water indeed, living down in Lincolnshire now they do not know what a river is and as a result i'm fishing an old trout lake this year for course fish and having a whale of a time, 2 1/2lb perch, 1 1/2lb roach, 18lb carp, 6lb bream, 5lb tench have all been pulled out in the 1st 2 sessions so i'm looking forward to the water warming up as a 20lb+ carp and 3lb perch must be on the cards
OK thanks everybody so much for your help. I've only ever fished in the Manchester Ship canal. I'll check out Jubilee lakes and Blackwell. The Blackwell stretch is that where the concrete barrage (water mill) is? something easy really for her basically. Defo no fly fishing though.

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 pm

More into reservoir fishing myself. Hope to get up the Derwent a few times this summer, providing we have a summer of some sorts. Got back into fishing at the end of he season last year and looking forward to some more!

Used to do some river fishing at Gainford when I was younger, does anyone still fish down there? I'm sure it used to be unowned river, so as long as you had your license there was no fee to pay or club to join? Never had massive success, but its a pleasant spot and got a few now and then.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Free_Transfer wrote:Do a lot of sea fishing myself, bagged a decent 4lb cod on Friday night, Sunday dinner sorted.
You just love murdering s*** you do.

Did you shoot it just to make sure?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Free_Transfer wrote:Do a lot of sea fishing myself, bagged a decent 4lb cod on Friday night, Sunday dinner sorted.
You just love murdering s*** you do.

Did you shoot it just to make sure?
Never had cod and chips then? Straight from the sea to the plate in 2 hours, fresh as a daisy!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Loads of times. Actually had it from the "famous" Magpie in Whitby a few weeks ago - two chippies in Aycliffe are better than that joint.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Right so you know where it comes from! I'd rather catch, fillet and eat it myself. Tastes better ;)

catherine

Post by catherine » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:18 am

Free_Transfer wrote: As for beach casting, depends on your rod but i use 6oz 'beach bombs' and 4oz 'breakaway lead' weights on depending how rough the sea is...the bombs roll about whereas the breakaway more or less stay put. A relatively small hook does the job, mackeral has always been the best bait for me. Take gloves though it fooooooooking stinks.)
rive fishing is a good way to relax yourselves and enjoy the peaceful life.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:48 am

DL_Fourteen wrote:
Used to do some river fishing at Gainford when I was younger, does anyone still fish down there? I'm sure it used to be unowned river, so as long as you had your license there was no fee to pay or club to join? Never had massive success, but its a pleasant spot and got a few now and then.
My Dad lives at Gainford now and i'm sure he said there was a small stretch of free water still, the fly lads have the rest, looks a decent bit of water as most of the lower Teesdale stretches are.

Used to fish a 100 yrd section @ High Conniscliffe 25 years ago owned by my neighbour, had some stonking sessions with Trout and Grayling on maggot whilst the Brown trout boys on the opposite bank used to blank on the fly :D

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:50 am

Free_Transfer wrote:Right so you know where it comes from! I'd rather catch, fillet and eat it myself. Tastes better ;)
Agreed, went wreck drifting last year out of Scarborough, 4 of use bagged up over 150lb of cod and ling in a 6 hour session, all the kept fish were duly filleted and eaten buy us over the coming weeks, great fishing

MattyJ

Post by MattyJ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 am

Jubilee Lakes is indeed fly fishing and is quite expensive compared to other venues.

I've fished the river at Broken Scar, Neasham (down the bank in front of the Davenport) and further down near where Stockton AC have just acquired part of the waters.

MSG have 3 large fishing ponds owned by Ferryhill (£5 a day permit), well stocked including some big carp. Was down on Monday night with the E.A. with work and the young people we took down were all catching perch and rudd on the whip pole, some had never fished before.

There is also a large still water pond in School Aycliffe with 42 pegs though not sure how well stocked it is lately but good quiet spot for those who want to practice casting! Again, £5 a day permit from Aycliffe Angling Club (purchase from the Oakleaf Sports Complex once the ponds open)

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:35 am

I know Raby Castle have some ponds - fished there when I was younger with my dad. Not sure about how you go about fishing them though. I think my dad got in free because he was a copper!

MattyJ

Post by MattyJ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:14 pm

There is loads really when you look just many are owned by clubs so its finding out how to fish them.

Corn Hill near Croft is good for catching lots of fish

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Catch plenty of crabs round Darlo on a night out!