The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11899
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:38 pm

There is certainly a common theme among 'music snobs' that popular music is only good if it is old enough to be considered a bit obscure, and probably 'before the time' of the 'snob' in question.

I'd include the bands listed by Fat Tony (although I'm not a huge MGMT fan), as well as the likes of Plan B, who I think is a great talent and very diverse, and many many more although I'd have to go through my iPod one evening to recall them all. Muse, Elbow, Eels, would all be included - and loads more who are just good at what they do and produce music that suits a certain mood or environment.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:15 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of mainstream music (on the whole) either yet I agree with Spyman that to dismiss it completely just stinks of music snobbery. There are plenty of examples of decent mainstream music over the past 20 years.
But what I'm saying is that I do like mainstream music - I just don't think that contemporary mainstream music is that great. Look at the hits The Beatles, The Stones and Elvis had as three examples; love all three of them - brilliant pop that charted, and I could name loads of others, but predominantly from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Pop music - or music that charted - is poorer throughout the 00s and 10s on the whole (key bit coming up) in my opinion. Not snobbery, just in my opinion.

Now, Englebert's Release Me was a massive number 1 in 1967, for example, but I hate it. There was crap pop in those decades too, but the good pop was pretty sensational.
fat tony wrote:LCD Soundsytem, Daft Punk, Jay-Z, MGMT, The Killers, Bloc Party and Coldplay are a few examples I'd give.
MGMT is a really good shout, but I don't know whether I'd necessarily class them as 'mainstream' or 'pop' (their last LP especially!) - that said, they're popular and I guess some of their singles off their first record probably did quite well? Maybe they are mainstream. Either way, I do rate them.
Spyman wrote:There is certainly a common theme among 'music snobs' that popular music is only good if it is old enough to be considered a bit obscure, and probably 'before the time' of the 'snob' in question.
This is where I disagree. What I'm saying is that pop music just isn't all that anymore - on some level, it hasn't changed; there isn't much difference between Westlife and The Osmonds, say, or Steps and Brotherhood of Man, but in other respects it strikes me that it's lost it's innovation, creativity and a whole load of other things.

If someone says today that they love Bowie or T Rex, say, people will probably think that that person is a bit of music head, but if you think about it those acts were two of the biggest pop/chart stars going for a good chunk of the early/mid-70s. They were great, talented, extremely innovative and absolutely massive.

For my money, there aren't enough pop acts around these days like a lot of those artists - even guitar-based pop(ular) music is lame compared to the early/mid-90s, which is well within my lifetime. The last great, guitar-based pop period was probably 94/95/96.

I don't see any of this as snobbery, though...?

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11899
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of mainstream music (on the whole) either yet I agree with Spyman that to dismiss it completely just stinks of music snobbery. There are plenty of examples of decent mainstream music over the past 20 years.
But what I'm saying is that I do like mainstream music - I just don't think that contemporary mainstream music is that great. Look at the hits The Beatles, The Stones and Elvis had as three examples; love all three of them - brilliant pop that charted, and I could name loads of others, but predominantly from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Pop music - or music that charted - is poorer throughout the 00s and 10s on the whole (key bit coming up) in my opinion. Not snobbery, just in my opinion.

Now, Englebert's Release Me was a massive number 1 in 1967, for example, but I hate it. There was crap pop in those decades too, but the good pop was pretty sensational.
fat tony wrote:LCD Soundsytem, Daft Punk, Jay-Z, MGMT, The Killers, Bloc Party and Coldplay are a few examples I'd give.
MGMT is a really good shout, but I don't know whether I'd necessarily class them as 'mainstream' or 'pop' (their last LP especially!) - that said, they're popular and I guess some of their singles off their first record probably did quite well? Maybe they are mainstream. Either way, I do rate them.
Spyman wrote:There is certainly a common theme among 'music snobs' that popular music is only good if it is old enough to be considered a bit obscure, and probably 'before the time' of the 'snob' in question.
This is where I disagree. What I'm saying is that pop music just isn't all that anymore - on some level, it hasn't changed; there isn't much difference between Westlife and The Osmonds, say, or Steps and Brotherhood of Man, but in other respects it strikes me that it's lost it's innovation, creativity and a whole load of other things.

If someone says today that they love Bowie or T Rex, say, people will probably think that that person is a bit of music head, but if you think about it those acts were two of the biggest pop/chart stars going for a good chunk of the early/mid-70s. They were great, talented, extremely innovative and absolutely massive.

For my money, there aren't enough pop acts around these days like a lot of those artists - even guitar-based pop(ular) music is lame compared to the early/mid-90s, which is well within my lifetime. The last great, guitar-based pop period was probably 94/95/96.

I don't see any of this as snobbery, though...?
Of course you don't. And of course it is your opinion, just as it is my opinion that the contemporary pop stuff from the likes of Coldplay or whoever is as good, and as relevant today, as the stuff you've mentioned was 30 or 40 or 50 years ago. I like Elvis, the Stones and the Beatles. I can see why they were all so important.

Do I think some of their stuff is over-rated simply because it was ground breaking at the time? Yes.

Do I think it the fact that they broke that ground first diminishes the musical talent that has followed theirs? No.

The fact is, you're now a bit older, you know what you like, and you probably don't find anything released since you were in your twenties to be relevant any more, so you write it off as 'not as good' as the stuff that was either new when you were young, or old but you got in to it when you were young.

The strange thing with that though, is that I bet you are finding new guitar based bands that aren't mainstream all the time that you think are great.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:40 am

Spyman wrote:The fact is, you're now a bit older, you know what you like, and you probably don't find anything released since you were in your twenties to be relevant any more, so you write it off as 'not as good' as the stuff that was either new when you were young, or old but you got in to it when you were young.
Don't know if that's the case - I still deliberately seek out new stuff and get just as much enjoyment from a new record by a new band as I do reading about & picking up a CD/vinyl reissue of something from 1968 that has long since been deleted.

The new Beachwood Sparks album comes out at the end of the month - I can't tell you the anticipation and excitement I have for it, but then again it won't trouble the scorers chart-wise and I accept that it's a far cry from the 'mainstream pop' we've been discussing, sadly. Those guys should be having number one singles and number one albums everytime they breathe, but it doesn't work that way.

Unlike football, you can be distinctly average, have little writing/song creating talent and get lucky by having hits & making some brass because other people industry know that the vast majority of the music buying population are easily pleased and happy to be spoonfed. Granted that's a sweeping generalisation (although not a fan, I understand that Chris Martin can write, perform, etc, etc, and isn't a Steps or a One Direction in that sense), but I shake my head when I think of some of the shite I've seen do well in the industry over the years.

Anyway, all I can do is point you back to Mr. Ellington...

;)

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:40 am

Haha, a few of the urban dictionary definitions of a music snob seem to describe beatroute66 perfectly:
1. music snob
A person who believes s/he has a more refined taste in music and has much more knowledge in the field of music in general. Every song and genre is unacceptable unless the snob happens to like it, then it is absolute perfection. Music snobs feel obligated to enlighten everyone with unwelcome critiques and irrelivant musical trivia.

2. music snob
An especially irritating breed of tool, the music snob is a self described authority on what is or is not "good" music. The genre is irrelavant, as music snobs somehow confuse their subjective opinions with objective concrete facts across all genres of music. The music snob is quick to write off your taste in music, and often spout proudly a large number of "better" unknown and/or less "commercial" bands that if you had as good of taste as they did, you would already know about and love. The music snob can be found at low budget local record stores, probably arguing with a clerk about how no good bands cds are for sale. The music snob often prides themselves on their, again, self described "non-conformist" interests, and everyone else is merely a braindead product of MTV. The music snob fails to realize the definition of the word opinion: 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal., and instead dilludes themselves into thinking that their opinions are more valid than those of anyone whos differ.

3. Music snob
A specimen that is prone to be of high levels of irritance to the normal person. In general, they hold the belief that their musical taste and their musical taste alone is relevant while anyone who has opposing or different opinions on music is considered stupid and won't hesitate to spew snotty remarks at you. These people are often pretentious poseurs who always make an ass out of themselves as they claim to be "non-conformist" for listening to indie bands with quirky names who have song titles that are at least ten words in length. The funny thing is, is that they don't realize that they are actually the biggest conformers out there for listening to, or claiming to listen to certain bands or genres in order to fit into a certain scene or gain some cred.

Generalizations aside, they are the Adolf Hitlers of music and if you don't like the exact same music they do, they will cut you down in ridiculous ways for having a different opinion and it often leads to broken friendships. If you find that you are friends with a music snob, do yourselves a favor and just cut them loose right away. It'll save your fist from being hit by their face when they find out you listen to mainstream. There are some who will even criticize others for not being as pedantic about music or a band as they are or even simple things as to why you are interested in the artists you like.

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 am

Yeah, all fair enough I s'pose.

What you going to do about it? Put a Cheryl record on and have a wank?

;)

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:07 pm

beatroute66 wrote:Yeah, all fair enough I s'pose.

What you going to do about it? Put a Cheryl record on and have a wank?

;)
Whereas you'll listen to the LP of Peculiar Looking Yellow Cheese Cake Llamas who are so obscure that they haven't even formed yet and you found them whilst "searching" for "non-commercial" bands under a rock in your back garden, before wanking yourself silly over your own self-righteousness.

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:09 pm

DOTU - do we have a problem?

Do you want to tell me about something you're passionate about and really into and then I'll rip you a new one for it?

Give me a break. Read the thread and understand what I'm staying instead of hiding behind copy'n'paste jobs and easy digs.

Others seemed to have managed it pretty well.

User avatar
DarloOnTheUp
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:52 pm

beatroute66 wrote:DOTU - do we have a problem?

Do you want to tell me about something you're passionate about and really into and then I'll rip you a new one for it?

Give me a break. Read the thread and understand what I'm staying instead of hiding behind copy'n'paste jobs and easy digs.

Others seemed to have managed it pretty well.
No, no problem. Just trying to wind you up! :lol:

User avatar
Ash_Quaker
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk/Southampton

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Ash_Quaker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Joy Division- Atmosphere

What song would you want played at your funeral?

This perhaps for me.

Vokuhila
Posts: 758
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:44 pm

I suggested 'Atmosphere' to my now wife while we were trying to choose the music we wanted to have playing in the background during our wedding breakfast, before deciding that it maybe wasn't appropriate...:lol:

DJ Chris played a bit of New Order later on anyway, so I went to bed happy.

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by beatroute66 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:15 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:No, no problem. Just trying to wind you up! :lol:
Fair enough!

rj50
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Darlo Tyke

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by rj50 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Mine at present is Tom Petty and the Heartbrakers Greatest Hits.

User avatar
Ash_Quaker
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk/Southampton

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Ash_Quaker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Milk Music- Beyond Living

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZO8GG9t7lc

Fucking love it!

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11899
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I've been listening to the Super Furry Animals over the last couple of days. I like reminding myself how good these bands were that I haven't listened to for ages.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
jazzydfc
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:05 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by jazzydfc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Currently got the new album by Slash on the car CD player and yesterday bought a copy of Todd Rundgren's Runt, which took me back a few decades.

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Spyman wrote:I've been listening to the Super Furry Animals over the last couple of days. I like reminding myself how good these bands were that I haven't listened to for ages.
Brilliant band - one of the most innovative of the last 15/20 years, for sure. I saw them live at Newcastle Uni in 96/97 and regret having not seen them since.

They'd still be great in my eyes even if they'd only ever recorded Ice Hockey Hair and Rings Around The World.

Fatty eats roadkill
Posts: 3637
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: On top of a 29 year old big chested woman

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Sorry Beaty, slow life at maximum volume is the business.

Saw them in Dublin nearly 5 years ago. Fantastic!

Gruffs latest escapade is -" Gruffzilla seeks the lost tomb of don Juan Evans"

Check out the gruffington post!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

User avatar
Ash_Quaker
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Thirsk/Southampton

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Ash_Quaker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Reverend and The Makers- The Wrestler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NXpclmylo4

Really enjoying the new album!

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11899
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Whichever one of you recommended Alt-J (was it Jazz or Tony?), brilliant call. Absolutely love this album and have already bought it as a present for one person.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

fat tony
Posts: 3405
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by fat tony » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Spyman wrote:Whichever one of you recommended Alt-J (was it Jazz or Tony?), brilliant call. Absolutely love this album and have already bought it as a present for one person.
Glad you like it :thumbup:

Lovely album and a great listen all the way through, deffo a highlight of the year for me.

Mick
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Mick » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:01 am

The new Maximo Park album. Quality.

User avatar
DL5
Posts: 4629
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by DL5 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Mick wrote:The new Maximo Park album. Quality.
Just downloaded it on Deezer, not at all bad

Also going to listen to We were promised Jetpacks for the sheer hell of it :lol:
.

User avatar
DL5
Posts: 4629
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by DL5 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Maximo Park's new album is their best, most refined album yet, still Smith's accent grinds on me though.

Having said that their best songs are still from A Certain Trigger ie Apply Some Pressure and Going Missing
.

Jazz Maverick
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: London

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm caning the fuck out of 'a place in the sun' by Lit at the moment.

Loved it when it came out in 1999, love it now.

Simple, straightforward, sunny so-cal rock. I defy anyone to hate it.

bedaledarlo
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by bedaledarlo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:23 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Spyman wrote:I've been listening to the Super Furry Animals over the last couple of days. I like reminding myself how good these bands were that I haven't listened to for ages.
Brilliant band - one of the most innovative of the last 15/20 years, for sure. I saw them live at Newcastle Uni in 96/97 and regret having not seen them since.

They'd still be great in my eyes even if they'd only ever recorded Ice Hockey Hair and Rings Around The World.
Was this the gig when they fooked off after playing about 6 b-sides and she's got spies cos the new guitarist made a mistake and they had a ruck? Queer night that!

SFA ok. They are a band that can talk about trading blows with them great bands, but never got near where they deserved to be. Mainly due to being as contrary as Dylan. Turning down coca cola for half a million - they'd still be going but they wouldn't sell out to the capitalist pigs.

Phantom Power and Lovecraft, like all their work really, are ridiculously overlooked works.

User avatar
bigbitchtits
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:01 pm
Team Supported: Sunderland

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by bigbitchtits » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Not new by any means, but been listening to Dr Feelgood loads recently 8-)

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11899
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Blur - Under the Westway and the Puritan.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

rj50
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Darlo Tyke

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by rj50 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:24 pm

For us old rockers a belated fathers present i was given "The Best Of The Sensational Alex Harvey".What a brilliant CD with tracks like Boston Tea Party and Delilah.Brilliant.

User avatar
beatroute66
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Ingleby Barwick

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Haven't played much else this week beyond the latest Beachwood Sparks album:

Opening track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-PHoYvbnY

If you don't like these guys then you don't like life...

;)

Post Reply