The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

fat tony
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The 'what music I'm listening to at the moment' thread

Post by fat tony » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:I just started listening to a band called We Were Promised Jetpacks.

Recommend it.
Love them, v.good shout. Love the fact there's nothing trendy or quirky to them at all, just four ordinary Scottish lads with great tunes. Listened through Four Walls a few weeks ago actually, it's a quality debut album.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:11 pm

On the strength of the name alone Im going to give them a listen.

Awesome, awesome name!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:20 pm

fat tony wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:I just started listening to a band called We Were Promised Jetpacks.

Recommend it.
Love them, v.good shout. Love the fact there's nothing trendy or quirky to them at all, just four ordinary Scottish lads with great tunes. Listened through Four Walls a few weeks ago actually, it's a quality debut album.
Definitely, the whole style over substance thing has been such a problem with British music over the last 10-15 years. Its refreshing when you get a straight forward guitar band who can knock out cracking melodies with some decent lyrics.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Hilly wrote:On the strength of the name alone Im going to give them a listen.

Awesome, awesome name!
I was just thinking the same thing, as it happens. Might have to fire up Spotify.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 am

fat tony wrote:Couple of good albums out over the past week or so: Alt-J - Awesome Wave and Liars - Wixiw. Alt-J especially is worth checking out, they're a bit like a more electronicy Fleet Foxes. Ignore the lame hipster name. You can stream the album on their Souncloud page - http://soundcloud.com/alt-j/sets/an-awesome-wave/ 'Something Good' is the highlight for me.
I listened to the first few tracks from this Alt-J album on the way in this morning. Very impressed so far.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:00 pm

DL5 wrote: I know I admit I'm musically shallow when I've never heard of half of what you lot listen to :crazy:
Music snobs - always falling over themselves, trying to go one step further in naming more and more obscure bands that they listen to, in order to prove they know music.

The only thing they prove, is that they are twats.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Quakerz wrote:
DL5 wrote: I know I admit I'm musically shallow when I've never heard of half of what you lot listen to :crazy:
Music snobs - always falling over themselves, trying to go one step further in naming more and more obscure bands that they listen to, in order to prove they know music.

I like it when people recommend music I've never heard of an it turns out to be good - normally it doesn't.

At the end of 2010 I looked through all the new albums I'd bought that year - they consisted of the new Ocean Colour Scene album, the new Kula Shaker album, Paul Weller, basically 90% were albums released by bands who were big at least a decade earlier. Too much effort in trying to find new bands that I like unless someone else spoon-feeds them too me.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Spyman wrote: I like it when people recommend music I've never heard of an it turns out to be good - normally it doesn't.
Which is why music snobs are twats.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Spyman wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

I like it when people recommend music I've never heard of an it turns out to be good - normally it doesn't.

At the end of 2010 I looked through all the new albums I'd bought that year - they consisted of the new Ocean Colour Scene album, the new Kula Shaker album, Paul Weller, basically 90% were albums released by bands who were big at least a decade earlier. Too much effort in trying to find new bands that I like unless someone else spoon-feeds them too me.
Same here.

I'm not enough of a scenester to find new stuff I like. I either get told about it by mates more into rock/indie music than me or off the 'you may also like' bit when you buy something from iTunes.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Quakerz wrote:
DL5 wrote:Music snobs - always falling over themselves, trying to go one step further in naming more and more obscure bands that they listen to, in order to prove they know music.

Bollocks. Couldn't you say the same thing about anything that anyone knows something about more than the next man?

I'm a music nut - 1000s and 1000s of CDs, LPs, singles, etc, in this house and I could name a list of bands/artists that I love that most people will go through life getting nowhere near...doesn't mean I'm a snob nor a twat, though; just means I'm really into music, can be arsed to work at it/dig stuff out and like a wide variety of stuff.

As an example, it strikes me that you know more about the level of football we're about to embark on than me - does that make you a Northern League snob?

No, it doesn't.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Massive chomp there, obviously I didn't mean you beaty.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 pm

This thread is hardly filled with obscure music so I don't know who you're taking aim at. I'd say everything mentioned has been a standard British/US release with reviews across the national press. That's where I find out about stuff along with Spotify related artists. Not very scenester. It's not exactly searching high and low for some esoteric World music consisting of a Chilean tribesman hitting a twig against a dead cow and making out it's some major new scene that everyone is missing out on.

There are plenty of music bores around who'd do that, but that's the case for any subject as beaty says - not all subjects relate back to Chilean tribesmen, but you know what I mean.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Music snobbery isn't about knowing music and finding new stuff/stuff others haven't heard of. It is deriding anything mainstream and saying that all your 'underground' stuff is better than anything mainstream.

In my opinion!

The Goo Goo Dolls are just s*** though.

DC

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 pm

The NME is an example of music snobbery at its finest.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 am

I've been revisiting the cardigans.

God is nina person hot hot hot!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am

Hilly wrote:The NME is an example of music snobbery at its finest.

Yep, they'll champion a band until said band gets a bit of mainstream success, and then they'll tell the world (well, the moderate readership of teenagers in trousers too small for them) that said band is rubbish.

DC

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am

Spyman wrote:
Hilly wrote:The NME is an example of music snobbery at its finest.

Yep, they'll champion a band until said band gets a bit of mainstream success, and then they'll tell the world (well, the moderate readership of teenagers in trousers too small for them) that said band is rubbish.
That for me is the definition of a music snob.

There's a few music snobs on this forum, sadly beaty that does include you and my Brother in law for that matter :wave:

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Quakerz wrote:Massive chomp there, obviously I didn't mean you beaty.
Ha! It wasn't a chomp, simply a reply to your views on musical snobbery...

;)

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:08 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Massive chomp there, obviously I didn't mean you beaty.
Ha! It wasn't a chomp, simply a reply to your views on musical snobbery...

;)
It's only a chomp when other people do it.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Spyman wrote:Music snobbery isn't about knowing music and finding new stuff/stuff others haven't heard of. It is deriding anything mainstream and saying that all your 'underground' stuff is better than anything mainstream.
This, pretty much.

I'm not a musical snob as you could walk into my gaff and hear The Beatles, The Monkees, The Stones, Motown, T-Rex, Bowie, punk, Primal Scream, Weller and countless other well known bands/artists from the last seven decades blasting from the turntable/CD player.

Equally you could hear some obscure 70s acid folk, 50s jazz, 80s jingle jangle indie or European psych from the late 60s - it's nothing to do with 'being cool' or dissing the mainstream as there is great pop, s*** pop, great obscure stuff and s*** obscure stuff.

As Duke Ellington once said: "there are only two types of music - good and bad." - spot on, I'd say.

Oh, and sod off CoD! ;)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Music snobbery isn't about knowing music and finding new stuff/stuff others haven't heard of. It is deriding anything mainstream and saying that all your 'underground' stuff is better than anything mainstream.
This, pretty much.

I'm not a musical snob as you could walk into my gaff and hear The Beatles, The Monkees, The Stones, Motown, T-Rex, Bowie, punk, Primal Scream, Weller and countless other well known bands/artists from the last seven decades blasting from the turntable/CD player.

Equally you could hear some obscure 70s acid folk, 50s jazz, 80s jingle jangle indie or European psych from the late 60s - it's nothing to do with 'being cool' or dissing the mainstream as there is great pop, s*** pop, great obscure stuff and s*** obscure stuff.

As Duke Ellington once said: "there are only two types of music - good and bad." - spot on, I'd say.

Oh, and sod off CoD! ;)
I bet there's nothing mainstream that originated in the last decade though, eh beatty! Just Weller/Scream etc latest stuff ;) Another classic trait of the musical snob!

But yes, I agree, there is only good and bad music.

DC

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:16 pm

The Minx - No Friends

http://soundcloud.com/the-minx/no-friends

Great band from Manchester release their debut single "No Friends" on Monday.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm listening to the new Maximo Park album. Right now. In my bed.

DC

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Maximo Park are excellent, seem them live a few times and they never put on a bad show.

Paul Smith was DJ'ing in a club I was in down Camden a couple of years back. Was speaking to him at the bar after, is a really nice chap.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Spyman wrote:I bet there's nothing mainstream that originated in the last decade though, eh beatty! Just Weller/Scream etc latest stuff ;) Another classic trait of the musical snob!
The bulk of pop music from the 00s and 10s has been poor though, hasn't it? Pop was equal measure wonderful and awful during the 50s, 60s and 70s, hit & miss in the 80s and 90s, but on a downward spiral ever after.

I actually listen to a decent amount of contemporary music - there are a stack of CDs in this very room of fairly recent purchases that include The Horrors, Spiritualized, The See See, 18th Day of May, Wolf People, Cow, Tame Impala, Baxter Dury, Matt Deighton, The Lucid Dream and The Keys.

Sadly, the charts (as they were) are largely full of poor music, largely because the vast majority of people out there are prepared to stomach/buy the shite put in front of them and can't be arsed to go out & seek beyond it.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Jake Bugg- Lightning Bolt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0oPg1h8fQ

This lad will be known all over England soon. Saw him in March been on Jools since then starting to pick up a following now. If you're a fan of Jonny Cash you might like him.

Few more of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJovqpbj ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTM9rV8u ... ure=relmfu

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Spyman wrote:I bet there's nothing mainstream that originated in the last decade though, eh beatty! Just Weller/Scream etc latest stuff ;) Another classic trait of the musical snob!
The bulk of pop music from the 00s and 10s has been poor though, hasn't it? Pop was equal measure wonderful and awful during the 50s, 60s and 70s, hit & miss in the 80s and 90s, but on a downward spiral ever after.

I actually listen to a decent amount of contemporary music - there are a stack of CDs in this very room of fairly recent purchases that include The Horrors, Spiritualized, The See See, 18th Day of May, Wolf People, Cow, Tame Impala, Baxter Dury, Matt Deighton, The Lucid Dream and The Keys.

Sadly, the charts (as they were) are largely full of poor music, largely because the vast majority of people out there are prepared to stomach/buy the shite put in front of them and can't be arsed to go out & seek beyond it.
As I suspected, then. There's plenty of good 'mainstream' pop music from the last 20 years if you're willing to give it a chance.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

DC

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 am

Spyman - tell me who you think they are?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:09 pm

beatroute66 wrote:Spyman - tell me who you think they are?
I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of mainstream music (on the whole) either yet I agree with Spyman that to dismiss it completely just stinks of music snobbery. There are plenty of examples of decent mainstream music over the past 20 years.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

LCD Soundsytem, Daft Punk, Jay-Z, MGMT, The Killers, Bloc Party and Coldplay are a few examples I'd give. Wouldn't say I'm a fan of their general work, but I'd say they've each had decent mainstream tunes that I've liked over the past decade or so. Just to qualify this, I am classing 'mainstream' as anything that has entered the top 40 of the pop charts and is a big name.

Also, it's difficult to define 'mainstream' because you've basically got your commercially-driven, focus group, teenager-marketed pop which seemingly dominates the top 40 charts nowadays - assuming being in the top 40 charts as the best definition of 'mainstream'? For example, how many singles chart number ones can you name from the last decade? I suspect this type of music has replaced your 50s-80s pop music that Beaty was describing. Although it was a mixed bag, pop music back in the day had a certain sincerity to it which meant it felt accessible to everyone rather than just teenagers or pop chart music fans. As a result, if you're not into pop chart music (i.e top 40 of the single charts) it's quite difficult to name 'good' mainstream songs from the last decade, because effectively mainstream music has been swallowed up by very commercially-driven pop. In the past it felt like the charts were a bit more diverse.

I should add though, modern chart pop can occasionally come up trumps. This could spectacularly backfire on me, but I liked this from last year... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JipHEz53sU ...and I think some of Lady Gaga's tunes are good too.