I.T. scam

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AnthonyP
Team Supported: Darlington

I.T. scam

Post by AnthonyP » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Has anyone heard anything about a scam going about where sb rings you at home and tells you you have errors on your pc and they are ringing from microsoft. They confirm ur ip adddress and microsoft office license number to try and convince you they are legit. They then access ur pc remotely using something called ammyee (?) event viewer, which brings up thousands of error messages, before passing u onto a supervisor who sells u something which gives them access to wipe the computer and take all ur passwords. Anyone know anything about this and how they get the license number?

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Re: I.T. scam

Post by liddle_4_ever » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:21 pm

I’m hardly the most PC literate person on here so others will help you with the ins and outs but this is my understanding…

They phone you up claiming to be Microsoft claiming they know there is a problem with your PC (probably a virus or similar) and in a roundabout way they ask you to visit a certain website and type in a code/password they tell you over the phone this allows them to remotely access your computer (whether they then steal personal details I do not know). They show things on your PC screen whilst talking down the phone to convince you that you need an antivirus program and guess what, they have the perfect one and it’s on special offer, how lucky!! Then they take hundreds of pounds for the antivirus software and then leave you be.

Now what would be clever (I’m not sure if this is the case or not) is if the software they have charged you for copies personal details and transfers them to their location.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

p.s. what does “sb” stand for? Scamming Bastards?

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Somebody.

Yeah I have heard of this scam. People I know have had it happen but hang up soon after the start of the phone call !

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:11 am

Whenever I get a scam phone call or calls that are for a product or service which is incredibly over priced I try to stay on the phone as long as possible as every minute they spend talking to me is a minute they aren’t ripping off other people. I get wound up just thinking that someone could be trying to scam my Granddad and if I caught a little fucker trying it I wouldn’t want to be responsible for my actions.

darlocraig

Post by darlocraig » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 am

I often get 'microsoft' calling to tell me that I have computer problems (even funnier when I don't own or use any microsoft product or service).

To begin with I enjoyed wasting their time by pretending to be a thick computer user that can't even turn a computer on but now it's just annoying as I get these calls 3 times a week.

BBC Panorama had this and other scams last week and one guy paid about £100k to scammers for plots of land. It will still be on iPlayer if you want to watch it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ndercover/

jacka1960

Post by jacka1960 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:51 am

Yep it's a known scam....
...now here's a tip, go onto internet and look up the Telephone Preference Service..
....register all your phones on that, then use the link to the Mailing Preference Service and do the same with your address....
...This will reduce down the number off annoying (legit) telephone calls and junk mail you get.
It does work I registered years ago....
where we play in the short term isn't an issue....the fact we are playing at all is important!!
Founder Member 1883CIC
Come on Darlo :)

darlocraig

Post by darlocraig » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 pm

The Telephone Preference Service won't stop these calls

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:33 pm

i registered on that service ages ago and it still doesnt stop them.

i sometimes like to wind them up, at least it wastes their time.

go on here for a laugh to see some examples.
http://www.419baiter.com/games.html

some of the conversations are long but worth a laugh reading them if you have some time.

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

I love to string along scammers and salesdroids, when I have time.
I had one holding for 15 minutes with my handset in the drawer once, and he was still there when I got back.
The "Microsoft" scam is a common one. They walk you through installing some spyware on your machine. I play the dumb user but they never normally get around the lack of a start menu on my laptop.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:01 am

quakerray wrote:i registered on that service ages ago and it still doesnt stop them.

i sometimes like to wind them up, at least it wastes their time.

go on here for a laugh to see some examples.
http://www.419baiter.com/games.html

some of the conversations are long but worth a laugh reading them if you have some time.
Some of the guys at 419baiter are hilarious with the games they play when baiting Scammers...

I had someone phone me about some anti virus, told me about some virus in my system, I had him explain it to me for about 15 minutes, started talking about how a computer worked and that, how the internet worked and going on about viruses in General, after he explained everything he asked me to goto a site to input my debit card details into there site to buy there anti-virus, at which point I told him I didn't have a computer...

He went into a right rage screaming 'While I have been fucking on with you I could have been selling to someone who needs the software', to which I replied 'Who you trying to kid, it's a scam' to which he called me a fucking bellend and slammed the phone down on me
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

cwisstoffhur

Post by cwisstoffhur » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

I've had these phone calls before from a company thats ever changing its name 'Nerd Computing' 'Microsoft solutions' are the 2 I can remember. I just string them along for a while before telling them I dont have a computer.
It's Clobberin' Time