Murray

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Murray

Post by al_quaker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Anyone watch the tennis last night/this morning?

A ridiculous match. Some of the defensive play from both players was unbelievable. They seemed to have to hit about 5 "winners" just to win a point! Glad I stayed up to watch it.

I'm glad he finally won a slam. I always though he had the talent to win one, but I was starting to wonder if it would ever happen. It's a pretty amazing era we are in at the moment. When Djokovic got it back to 2 sets all, I did worry about the 5th, but Murray came out and played some amazing tennis. Be interesting to see if he can go on and win a few more.

Out of all the amazing British sporting success this year, I actually think what Murray has done this year is the most impressive. To recover from the defeats he's had, and to break through against the quality of opposition he's faced-I'm not sure if it is matched for this year. The only one which comes close is Wiggins. What do others think?

Spyman

Re: Murray

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Didn't see the match, but heard it was a cracker and a great achievement by Murray.

What Wiggins has achieved this year surpasses Murray though. He's won arguably the toughest endurance event in sport, and followed it up 10 days later with an Olympic Gold.

Murray has had a terrific year and recovered from his Wimbledon defeat to turn another standard Murray year into a very special one, but in my opinion, it isn't on the same level as Wiggins.

Plus Wiggins is a proper fucking personality. Murray seems an alright bloke, but some of Wiggins' sound-bites are works of art.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Spyman wrote:Plus Wiggins is a proper fucking personality.
I was waiting for the usual comment on Murray's personality in a thread about Murray. Yawn.
Spyman wrote:but some of Wiggins' sound-bites are works of art.
Works of art? Calm down.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
I was waiting for the usual comment on Murray's personality in a thread about Murray. Yawn.
Works of art? Calm down.
How was it the usual comment about Murray's personality?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Works of art? Calm down.

It just seems that whenever Murray is mentioned, someone has to comment on his personality.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Works of art? Calm down.

It just seems that whenever Murray is mentioned, someone has to comment on his personality.
I didn't. Not negatively at least.

Back in your box son.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Spyman wrote: I didn't. Not negatively at least.

Back in your box son.

Agreed, it wasn't as bad as the usual tired rubbish like "he's so dull, he's so miserable, blah blah blah", but "Plus Wiggins is a proper fucking personality" is still an indirectly negative comment about Murray's personality.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 pm

No, it really isn't. You're trying to put words in to my mouth. The game's up.

Wiggins
Murray
Farah

Top 3, in that order.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Spyman wrote:No, it really isn't. You're trying to put words in to my mouth. The game's up.

Wiggins
Murray
Farah

Top 3, in that order.

Fair enough.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Brilliant for Murray to finally win a grand slam and now he can kick on from here.

But he's just got no personality...

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Quakerz wrote:Brilliant for Murray to finally win a grand slam and now he can kick on from here.

But he's just got no personality...
:lol:

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 pm

How is it a bad thing to say he has no personality? It's an obvious fact that In a public facing capacity he has no personality at all, he's a useless orator.

He's paid to be a tennis player though, and he's fucking good at it, so that's all that counts.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:52 am

If he wants to win sports personality he'll need to give out free blow jobs.

Excellent tennis result for the sweaty though!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 am

Jazz Maverick wrote:How is it a bad thing to say he has no personality?
because
Jazz Maverick wrote:He's paid to be a tennis player though, and he's fucking good at it, so that's all that counts.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:43 am

lo36789 wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:How is it a bad thing to say he has no personality?
because
Jazz Maverick wrote:He's paid to be a tennis player though, and he's fucking good at it, so that's all that counts.
Another pointless post from the lo36789 scrapbook.

He comes across as a characterless man when he speaks publicly, so there's nowt wrong with people commenting on this as its a fact - so long as they also acknowledge he's ace at tennis and that's all that counts.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 am

I think the point is that he is a tennis player and his character is irrelevant to what he is, so why do people go on and on about it?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:06 am

Quakerz wrote:I think the point is that he is a tennis player and his character is irrelevant to what he is, so why do people go on and on about it?
Because its human nature to have an opinion and comment on other peoples character - Andy Murrays job isn't going to change that

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Not really.

When Mo Farah won gold I never thought "hmmm I wonder whether he is interesting or dull", I just thought "get in son, well done" I never heard anyone comment on whether he was boring or not either.

Why the difference for Murray?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Quakerz wrote:Not really.

When Mo Farah won gold I never thought "hmmm I wonder whether he is interesting or dull", I just thought "get in son, well done" I never heard anyone comment on whether he was boring or not either.

Why the difference for Murray?
Funny that, because after he won I saw countless newspaper articles referencing how affable he was, what strength in adversity he showed as a kid, how much of a family guy he is etc.

All irrelevant to the fact he's good at running, but the public want to know and comment about the personality behind the sportsman, so the pundits will comment on it too. So long as they don't make stuff up or claim it has an effect on said sportsmans performance there really is no issue with it.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Quakerz wrote:I think the point is that he is a tennis player and his character is irrelevant to what he is, so why do people go on and on about it?

Because Quakerz, Murray is a white hetero sweaty and people know the thought Nazis won't pounce on them claiming some sort of crime.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Jazz - I'm just sick of fucking hearing it mate. It's the same regurgitated, cliched, poorly judged rubbish every time as well. I wouldn't mind if it varied a little, or if there was some positivity thrown in there, but it seems there can't be a discussion about Murray without someone coming in with "he's so dull/boring/miserable/has no personality".

But yeah you're right: all that SHOULD matter is that he's good at tennis, but I do understand that people will judge others on their character, which leads me onto my third point.

You mention that it's fine as long as it's true and not made up, but that's another problem I have with it: people making assumptions based on irrelevant characteristics. For instance, it seems speaking with a deep, fairly monotone, calm manner automatically equals dull or boring. And it seems just because he doesn't smile fakely every ten seconds then he's miserable. FUCK OFF. So yeah, people are making stuff up with their poor judgments and ridiculous assumptions.

It's like if you don't smile for a photo and people assume you weren't having a good time. Err, I wasn't smiling before the photo was taken, or after, so why for that split second just to reassure everyone that I was having fun?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm

So do you have any photos of you smiling or are you sucking lemons as usual?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:38 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:Jazz - I'm just sick of fucking hearing it mate. It's the same regurgitated, cliched, poorly judged rubbish every time as well. I wouldn't mind if it varied a little, or if there was some positivity thrown in there, but it seems there can't be a discussion about Murray without someone coming in with "he's so dull/boring/miserable/has no personality".

But yeah you're right: all that SHOULD matter is that he's good at tennis, but I do understand that people will judge others on their character, which leads me onto my third point.

You mention that it's fine as long as it's true and not made up, but that's another problem I have with it: people making assumptions based on irrelevant characteristics. For instance, it seems speaking with a deep, fairly monotone, calm manner automatically equals dull or boring. And it seems just because he doesn't smile fakely every ten seconds then he's miserable. FUCK OFF. So yeah, people are making stuff up with their poor judgments and ridiculous assumptions.

It's like if you don't smile for a photo and people assume you weren't having a good time. Err, I wasn't smiling before the photo was taken, or after, so why for that split second just to reassure everyone that I was having fun?
Can't disagree with any of that. Murray has probably just been negatively portrayed due to the way he happens to be. That's unfair, but my point is that it's understandable due to the 'must know everything' attitude the public and press have towards anyone in the public eye these days - they'll seize on whatever they are given to paint a picture of the man behind the sportsman.

Besides, he's obviously not ACTUALLY a miserable b****** - how can he be when he's getting to nob that Kim Sears lass on a regular basis?!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I think the issue may arise from the Sports Personality Award.

I don't think anybody is saying Murray's achievements are any less great because he may or may not be a happy chap/miserable/boring/enthusiastic person. There is just possibly a question mark over what criteria you judge a 'personality' award.

As far as him being miserable goes, I reckon Wiggins is equally as miserable, if not more so. He comes across as a right moany English-get, but for some reason it seems to come across as an endearing quality as far as the majority are concerned. No idea why - maybe because he is so openly miserable and forthright and doesn't care or try to cover it up (not saying Murray does)?

Anyway, Murray, Wiggins, dozens of Olympic and Paralympic athletes from the UK, McIlroy, Frankel and I'm sure a couple more I've forgotten just now have all achieved great things in their respective sports this year and to be honest I wouldn't want to deny any of them being recognised for that. I can't remember such a good year in British sport in my lifetime.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Also, Cavendish has now taken the overall lead and won his second stage in the Tour of Britain. Admittedly it is fairly minor as tours go, but he has the World Championships coming up next month and if he can retain that, along with his 3 stage wins in the TDF, he'll put a dissapointing Olympics and overall a dissapointingly workmanlike TDF behind him and can probably call it an excellent year too.

DC

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Am I the only one who thinks he's all right then?
Quiet, and doesn't give as many soundbites as someone like Wiggins, but I like that.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Christophano wrote:Am I the only one who thinks he's all right then?
Quiet, and doesn't give as many soundbites as someone like Wiggins, but I like that.
Agreed.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 am

I actually like Murray. He's quite clearly uncomfortable with the press and the media attention, but I think he has a decent sense of humour.

Wiggins achievement is outstanding, but for Murray to break through in the way he did in one of the strongest tennis eras ever, after some pretty bad defeats in the past is remarkable. I actually think Wiggins or Farah will win SPOTY though.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Murray has won the Open, but I still wouldn't say he's 'broken through' as part of the Djokovic/Federer/Nadal group quite yet. He needs to follow up his two Grand Slam finals and one victory with consistant top 2 finishes and regular wins before he can be considered to be up there with those three.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Yeah that's fair enough. Although his record in the last 3 big tournaments (Wimbledon, Olympics, US) reads F, W, W, so it's hinting that he's there. Be interesting to see how he does at the world tour finals, as he's never made the final there.

He does need to improve his consistency in the Masters though, otherwise he's unlikely to establish himself in the top 2 of the rankings.