Vodka

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DL_Fourteen

Vodka

Post by DL_Fourteen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:08 am

Anyone on here know anything about Vodka? I don't touch the stuff and never have, but I need to get a bottle as a present for a family member, and I haven't a clue where to start.

I'm wanting to get a bottle of something different to the predictable Smirnoff/Absolut range. Don't mind paying a few quid extra if its decent stuff.

Any recommendations?

Hilly
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Vodka

Post by Hilly » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:28 am

Grey goose?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 am

You can't go wrong with Finlandia if you can buy it there. Doubt you will see this but there's a Russian one called Parliament which is very good.

Also there's a Ukrainian one called Khortytsa which is what we normally buy.

Or Russian Standard... or Nemiroff (hic!)
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Got her indoors a bottle of Blavod black vodka for Christmas.

She's enjoying it immensely.

But then again, she'd drink turps if that was all there was!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:Got her indoors a bottle of Blavod black vodka for Christmas.

Black vodka - I hadn't heard of that. English too - just read a couple of decent reviews (from Russians, of all people).
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:Got her indoors a bottle of Blavod black vodka for Christmas.

Black vodka - I hadn't heard of that. English too - just read a couple of decent reviews (from Russians, of all people).

Very smooth.

jimsobotowski

Post by jimsobotowski » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Has to be Polish, try Belverdere or Krolewska. Both really smooth but also and also nice bottle - stained glass window effect

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Pinky botanical vodka, green mark and legend of kremlin.

All nice bottles and nice drinks.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Not really a vodka drinker as such, but that Polish shop in the town does any amount of the stuff ranging from those mentioned above to the weird stuff, like chilli flavoured etc. Deffo worth a look.

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Got a bottle of "Legend of Kremlin" as its the only one of this list I could remember when in the supermarket, and the bottle is distinctive, so must be good ;)

Thanks for the help folks!

Now, who knows anything about good Malt Whisky?

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 pm

DL_Fourteen wrote:Got a bottle of "Legend of Kremlin" as its the only one of this list I could remember when in the supermarket, and the bottle is distinctive, so must be good ;)

Thanks for the help folks!

Now, who knows anything about good Malt Whisky?

If you like the peaty/smokey ones from the western Isles, go for Talisker. (30 year old).

Otherwise, if your budget can stretch, Johnny Walker blue label!

(I should point out that the Johnny Walker blue label is a blended whisky, but a blend of rare whisky).
Last edited by Fibonacci0112358 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

darlopaul

Post by darlopaul » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Best laugh I've had all week!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 am

re Whisky, all depends what type you want, peat or smoke flavours.

myself I always think Highland Park is a top notch malt or Jura

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 am

Laphroig for yer bog standard or on older glen morangie.

Had some JW blue label in Malta. Well nice and I don't like whiskey but would drink that if I had the money!

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:33 am

Yep, Jura and Laphroaig are both good shouts.

Fatty, what do you mean "if" you had the money?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 am

I'm squirrelling my assets away so I don't get hammered when they bring that new pension shite in for the feckless! It's going to cost us two our 4.6% pay rise minimum! Plus I prefer gin :)

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Glenlivet is a fantastic drop too. Think I've got the 15 year old version back home (awaits inevitable jokes!).

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:I'm squirrelling my assets away so I don't get hammered when they bring that new pension shite in for the feckless! It's going to cost us two our 4.6% pay rise minimum! Plus I prefer gin :)

You'll never live to see it!

I'm nearly 10 years older than you, so I'll be gone from that place before too long!

By the way, does your lass know what you are worth dead? ;)

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
Fatty eats roadkill wrote:I'm squirrelling my assets away so I don't get hammered when they bring that new pension shite in for the feckless! It's going to cost us two our 4.6% pay rise minimum! Plus I prefer gin :)

You'll never live to see it!

I'm nearly 10 years older than you, so I'll be gone from that place before too long!

By the way, does your lass know what you are worth dead? ;)

Speaking of gin, the spicy ones are nice. :thumbup:

Dn1

Post by Dn1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Although not a spirit drinker, if I had to choose a Vodka to drink I would probably opt for Skyy Vodka, but then again my reason for that is only because of my time working in Harvey's Late Bar, and the fact it is used in all the cocktails :)

On a side note for rum drinkers, has anyone tried the new 'Old J' spiced rum yet? It's suppose to be more or less exactly the same as the old Sailor Jerry's and I am tempted to buy a bottle when I get paid, but I have heard different opinions of it!

Dn1
"Paris and the fall. The last months of the year and the end of the milenium. The city hold many memories for me...of cafes, of music, of love....and of death...."

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Dn1 wrote:Although not a spirit drinker, if I had to choose a Vodka to drink I would probably opt for Skyy Vodka, but then again my reason for that is only because of my time working in Harvey's Late Bar, and the fact it is used in all the cocktails :)

On a side note for rum drinkers, has anyone tried the new 'Old J' spiced rum yet? It's suppose to be more or less exactly the same as the old Sailor Jerry's and I am tempted to buy a bottle when I get paid, but I have heard different opinions of it!

Dn1
Buy a bottle and find out. It's the only way you can truly know. The amount of times people have told me about different beers and lagers and they've been bland or crap is unreal. Then again there has been some nice ones too.

Dn1

Post by Dn1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:
Dn1 wrote:Although not a spirit drinker, if I had to choose a Vodka to drink I would probably opt for Skyy Vodka, but then again my reason for that is only because of my time working in Harvey's Late Bar, and the fact it is used in all the cocktails :)

Dn1
Buy a bottle and find out. It's the only way you can truly know. The amount of times people have told me about different beers and lagers and they've been bland or crap is unreal. Then again there has been some nice ones too.
Suppose your right, I just begrudge buying a bottle of spirit without knowing what it is like. I have sent a cheeky message to the big boss of Harvey's asking if he is getting it in (he was an avid fan of the old SJ's recipe lol), so hopefully they'll get it in first for me to sample before I buy a bottle of my own! :lol:

Dn1
"Paris and the fall. The last months of the year and the end of the milenium. The city hold many memories for me...of cafes, of music, of love....and of death...."

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

JW Blue label!

Johnnie Walker had a promotional stand at JFK Duty Free last year, doing free tasters. Tried the Blue one, and thought it was pretty good, till she told me the price. Needless to say, it wasn't THAT good.

I always keep a bottle of whiskey in the house for when the father in law comes over. Used to always be Jameson's till he educated me with a bottle of Laphroig one year, never bought another blend since. Now I change the whiskey whenever the bottle runs out and the Aberlour one in the kitchen is looking a little low!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Whatever you do stay away from Glenfiddich - stuff tastes like TCP.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Bruichladdich Rocks is a nice drop too...