Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:36 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 pm
Having such a huge turnover of players is never very good for team spirit. You need to get a settled squad or you are going to struggle next season.
Totally agree. We have had a massive turn over every season the last few years, mainly because of those bloody 8's and being last to dip our toes into the pool of available players. I really can't stress enough how bad an idea that was for the game. Thankfully 11 of the 12 owners now agree so it will not come back.
We were not shocked at the first 12 to go, though of course people have favourites they want to keep. Having shipped 4-5 out pre the transfer window closing then add the 12 at the end most of us thought that was it, especially with a reserve side to put out as well as the first team. While I know there are 3-4 more already signed to be announced we still need to sign a raft of players to get near a first team squad let alone a reserve side as well.
We may yet loose Garbutt because of his knees and I have heard a whisper even Quinlan may be released because he had a bad injury and only played half last seasons games, but heck, he is the 1 player we have who would get into MOST SL sides. We are told we are going for younger hungry players with a smattering of older heads, and most of what we have signed I personally am ok with though underwhelmed about 2 of them.
Tony Smith has been told to get the job done with a free hand. With his experience we have to trust he gets it right. That said, people were shocked we managed to get Tim Sheens as manager and not many have a record to get anywhere near matching his. First 2 years he did what was asked and more, but the last 18 months oh dear.
I see he is back in the game at Widnes. Unlike many KR fans who are giving it large, I hope the big man has a good time there and repairs his reputation.

Is there not some end of season lark on this weekend? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:27 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:23 pm
Great to see that Toronto won promotion to the Superleague, although Featherstone pushed them until the last 20 minutes, when Toronto's superior fitness started to take over. It'll be really interesting to see how Toronto do next season, I think they'll surprise a few.
Now me, I don't think anyone in the game will be suprised by them. The no cap and any number of top players gives them a big advantage.

Ps, Rovers have released a load more today including Keinhorst who Leeds fans played hell about when we nicked him last year. We have no released over 20 players from last years squad with 8 in over Minikin from Cas being the latest import. All my Cas friends are upset at that 1. Wonder what Rob thinks.
You have gained a very good player I agree a loss to us

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:31 am

Hope its a good game tonight feel that Salford can actually do it as the underdogs, a double with a darlo win pays 10/1 get on

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:13 am

Well as expected St. Helens won the grand final, but a brave performance from Salford.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:13 am
Well as expected St. Helens won the grand final, but a brave performance from Salford.
The end !!!!!!!

Ready for a few weeks break.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:33 am

We've still the internationals to look forward too. :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Interesting to see that a World 9 competition has been started in Sydney. Probably trying to catch on with Rugby Unions World 7 competition.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:29 am

It's a pity that they don't revive that pre-season idea of having the English Champions of both codes play each other in 2 games. With one game being played with League rules & the other playing under Union rules. Perhaps the Union sides are embarrassed that the last time it was held Wigan won & they even beat the Union side playing under their rules, which must have been acutely embarrassing.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:29 am
It's a pity that they don't revive that pre-season idea of having the English Champions of both codes play each other in 2 games. With one game being played with League rules & the other playing under Union rules. Perhaps the Union sides are embarrassed that the last time it was held Wigan won & they even beat the Union side playing under their rules, which must have been acutely embarrassing.
But not at international level please.
Just watched England being mullered by Tongo and England beat the Blacks. Sadly from my perspective the Union mob would slaughter the league guys at the moment.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:04 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Just watched England being mullered by Tongo and England beat the Blacks. Sadly from my perspective the Union mob would slaughter the league guys at the moment.
No it would be the top league teams.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:04 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
No it would be the top league teams.

You watching Wales tomorrow?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I can watch about the first 15 minutes only & then I have to go off to work on Teesside. Not sure who I want to win, but I hope they knock 7 bells out of each other, so making England's job less difficult next week.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 pm
I can watch about the first 15 minutes only & then I have to go off to work on Teesside. Not sure who I want to win, but I hope they knock 7 bells out of each other, so making England's job less difficult next week.
They did. Had great fun digging at my Welsh friends.

Going to be a tough match next week. RSA back to doing what they do best and kick at every chance. Pure attrition.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:02 pm

I think I saw the game till the 24' & the ball had been kicked 19 times, absolutely ridiculous. England have a great chance of winning & I'd imagine they'll start as strong favourites.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Good to see that BBC2 is televising the first test against New Zealand at 3-30am on Saturday morning. Needless to say that I'll be taping it rather than watching it live.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Magic Weekend fixtures confirmed at St James Park, Newcastle

Sat 23rd May
3pm Castleford v Catalan
5-15pm St. Helens v Salford
7-30pm Hull v Leeds

Sun 24th May
12-30 Huddersfield v Toronto
2-45pm Wigan v Warrington
5pm Wakefield v Hull HR.

Great that the Magic Weekend has returned to the North-East, it should never have been taken away.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:37 pm
Magic Weekend fixtures confirmed at St James Park, Newcastle

Sat 23rd May
3pm Castleford v Catalan
5-15pm St. Helens v Salford
7-30pm Hull v Leeds

Sun 24th May
12-30 Huddersfield v Toronto
2-45pm Wigan v Warrington
5pm Wakefield v Hull HR.

Great that the Magic Weekend has returned to the North-East, it should never have been taken away.
Can't agree, the idea behind magic was to have all derbies and to take it to new area's to help the game find new fans to try to spread it round the country more. How does leaving it at Newcastle help that? Surely we should have taken the game to Birmingham by now and play at Vanilla park?
Also glad we are not playing Dull. These "loop games" mean we would have played them 4 times. Yes we play Wakey 4 times but there is not the hatred and tension in that game as in the only true derby. I know families who don't speak for a week before the games then whoever wins they are unmerciful with what they say. We had to drop the "friendly" for the Clive Sullivan trophy because there is just too much aggro. Thankfully, that is now played for over the 2 normal league games and won on a points decision.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Superleague fixtures are out today, the first game of the season is on the 30-1-20 Wigan at home to Warrington.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm
Superleague fixtures are out today, the first game of the season is on the 30-1-20 Wigan at home to Warrington.
Sadly, after being a pass holder for over 60 years, I have today contacted KR and canceled my life membership, car parking and legends lounge pass.

With the fixtures out I can not get to 4 of the first 6 home games and over the season only 7 from 14.

That is before they start moving games for Sky.

I simply dare not keep on driving at night putting not only my but other peoples lives at stake because of the danger of me falling asleep.

I will continue to buy my shirts and just buy match tickets for any games I can get to.

I am a member of a couple of rugby groups and just about everyone is up in arms. Cas have to go to Canada twice and Perpignan all in a 7 week period just after magic.

How the hell are people meant to manage? Toronto's "link" games should have been played the first 3 when they have to play in the UK. Instead,

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 am

Sorry to hear that news Ed, I know you don't take that action lightly & I know it will be Hull KR's loss. One of the problems that the Superleague have is that Sky are all important & they can change the fixture dates at the drop of a hat. The Premier League have similar problems with Sky & BT sport.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 am
Sorry to hear that news Ed, I know you don't take that action lightly & I know it will be Hull KR's loss. One of the problems that the Superleague have is that Sky are all important & they can change the fixture dates at the drop of a hat. The Premier League have similar problems with Sky & BT sport.
I am waiting to go into hospital for tests for a machine to help me breath when asleep. I have always been a very light sleeper, but now, with the combination of pain and an enlarged prostate meaning many trips to the bathroom I walk round in a semi daze most of the time.
It was not so bad when I was picking up family in the Boro on my way. but they are all doing other things now so I am alone and as I say, it is simply not fare to risk others lives.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:31 am

Ed I'm guessing you've been diagnosed with sleep apnea? It was suspected that I had the same. I went to hospital & they fitted me with a monitor that I had to ware for a period of time. The results said I was borderline & they wanted me to wear a device every night that would help my sleep patterns. I didn't fancy that & decided to try something myself. I lost over 2st & I believe that things have improved dramatically. Since then I drove down to the South of France & back 950 miles each way & both legs driven in 24hrs, going down I had 10mins sleep & on the way back 1hrs sleep. I kept awake on both legs & felt fine when the journeys had finished.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:47 am

Yes, you are correct I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and made worse by the enlarged prostate and other problems such as the shoulder op that went wrong. A slight move when my arm is in the "wrong" position and I sit up screaming in pain.
1 thing you say that gives hope is that since being back here I have suffered massively from depression and my weight went from just touching 100Klo's to 165Klo's because of binge eating and the sudden lack of exercise and work. I am down at about 143 at the moment having just had a nice 5 klo "spurt" of weight loss, but it is a real problem and roller coaster going up and down. At 1 point the Doc' gave me some anti depressants. I took 3 and threw them in the bin. I was a total zombie.
As I can't walk far because of my back I have been toying with getting a treadmill but would need a good 1 because of my weight and I have delayed because if it does not work I will be wasting up to about 6-800 £'s.
What you said has just helped slightly and pushed me towards trying to find 1 with a more serious search. Thanks.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:13 am

Luckily I can lose weight very easily, which probably is very unusual for someone of my age. But the weight loss not only improved my health, it also improved my mood & wellbeing, which is just as important. Hope things improve for you Ed & you've turned a corner.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:13 am
Luckily I can lose weight very easily, which probably is very unusual for someone of my age. But the weight loss not only improved my health, it also improved my mood & wellbeing, which is just as important. Hope things improve for you Ed & you've turned a corner.
I have no problem losing it, it is simply that depression sets in and in 48 hours I can undo a months good work.
If you ask round Hexham or people that "know" me they will all say he is a happy go lucky guy who does not worry about anything.
Good mask.
Enough, this is a rugby thread not a wallow in self pity 1.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am

Darlo_Pete wrote: I drove down to the South of France & back 950 miles each way & both legs driven in 24hrs, going down I had 10mins sleep & on the way back 1hrs sleep. I kept awake on both legs & felt fine when the journeys had finished.
This is nothing to brag about - in fact it is downright dangerous. Anyone who thinks it is ok to drive 950 miles in 24 hours with no sleep is stupid and anyone who chooses to do it is not only stupid but very selfish and irresponsible and should not be on the roads. You chose to do it twice.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 am

I never felt tired & was fully awake for the whole journey.

Well Great Britain were very poor yesterday is Auckland against New Zealand. The crowds at these games has been really disappointing, loads of empty seats at the Christchurch stadium. Lets see how they get on against the mighty Papua New Guinea next weekend.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 am
I never felt tired & was fully awake for the whole journey.

Well Great Britain were very poor yesterday is Auckland against New Zealand. The crowds at these games has been really disappointing, loads of empty seats at the Christchurch stadium. Lets see how they get on against the mighty Papua New Guinea next weekend.
Simply far too many players playing out of position to play "names" rather than those who did well in SL last season.
As he is a Rover I am a big fan of Josh Hodgson, but at the moment he is thinking about what he is doing rather than doing it off the cuff. Slowing things down far to much, and who on this earth thinks Hardaker is a winger for God's sake? Then replaced because out injured by that well known winger Austin? Just WTF?
How Warmsley sits warming the bench while Clint Hill plays is also beyond ,me. McGilveray was the best winger about 3 years ago, but has been playing in the worst SL side for the last 3 seasons and his form has gone the same way.

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I never felt tired & was fully awake for the whole journey..
I'm sure the guy who caused the Selby train crash thought he wasn't tired and was fully awake.
Your reactions and decision making are impaired when you haven't slept regardless of whether you feel tired or not.
Professional drivers are subject to limits on the number of hours they can drive so why do you think those limits shouldn't apply to non-profession drivers?
The police constantly warn drivers about driving without proper breaks and had you been involved in an accident, I'm pretty sure you'd have been prosecuted. There is no excuse.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:14 pm

OHDFC wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:06 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:I never felt tired & was fully awake for the whole journey..
I'm sure the guy who caused the Selby train crash thought he wasn't tired and was fully awake.
Your reactions and decision making are impaired when you haven't slept regardless of whether you feel tired or not.
Professional drivers are subject to limits on the number of hours they can drive so why do you think those limits shouldn't apply to non-profession drivers?
The police constantly warn drivers about driving without proper breaks and had you been involved in an accident, I'm pretty sure you'd have been prosecuted. There is no excuse.

You have made your point. Can we get back on topic now please.