Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

robsraiders
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:53 am

Big NRL final tomorrow I have been watching most of the games this season and enjoyed it, hopefully the Penrith Panthers will come good.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:53 am
Big NRL final tomorrow I have been watching most of the games this season and enjoyed it, hopefully the Penrith Panthers will come good.
As I said just above, not a big fan of either club but also looking forward to it.
Sadly, as a league as a whole, the Aussie game is so far ahead of SL.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:35 am

A good game in trying conditions. I chose Storm as "my side" but have to say the first half score was just no reflection of the game. Talk about making the most of your chances. The Panthers must have been totally gob smacked to be so far behind on play.
Second half was a much better reflection of the game and they made the most of their chances to get a score nearer what it should have been.
Turned straight over at the end so missed MOTM but for me Ryan Papenhuyzen took it easily. How on earth did he not only keep his feet off the floor but get a backward pass from that penalty that was in touch?

On to the State games, but first a little matter of KR v Wakey in a couple of hours.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:07 pm

A battle for the wooden spoon, it's a good job there is no relegation this season.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:52 pm

What an effort by Tigers tonight, 12 men for 2/3rds of game took them to to the death, hope for next season playing like that

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:45 am

Really amazed to see that Salford beat St. Helens, especially as we thumped them last week. Didn't watch the game last night, did St. Helens have a weakened team last night, saving themselves for their big game against Wigan at the end of this week?

Hopefully Rob that performance will carry on into next season, as we need more teams fighting for the top 4, in order to make SL as competitive as possible.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:45 am

robsraiders wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:52 pm
What an effort by Tigers tonight, 12 men for 2/3rds of game took them to to the death, hope for next season playing like that
And (from a Rhinos fan). The ref having an awful game esp in the first half.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:55 am

This seems to be an increasing gripe with fans, the standard of referring. With having video replays these should be eliminated, but then the game would be stopped loads more times & that would spoil the spectacle.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:19 am

The VAR works far better in RL than football. My only gripes are that they do not always when checking go back far enough in the play and they seem to totally ignore forward passes.
That may seem a small point, but on 1 of the the RL sites I run it is by far the biggest complaint people have. I keep mentioning the lines and ask how a pass from behind the line caught in front of it is not a forward pass, and I sometimes get the response "It is forward momentum" To me, that is cobblers. It is forwards full stop.
Seems the RFL are having problems selling tickets for the world cup. I have bought all I want long ago, but they have now started bombarding me with emails saying they have extended the time for members to buy . Silly really as they are now, and have been for over a week, on sale to the general public.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:06 pm

They only seem to look at forward passes. if a try is scored before a tackle is made & then only when they have the TV coverage to look at the offending pass. I've not got tickets for the World Cup, as I have no idea whether I will be off work when the matches take place. But it sounds like they are struggling to sell tickets, which is understandable given the uncertainty surrounding Coronavirus.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:06 pm
They only seem to look at forward passes. if a try is scored before a tackle is made & then only when they have the TV coverage to look at the offending pass. I've not got tickets for the World Cup, as I have no idea whether I will be off work when the matches take place. But it sounds like they are struggling to sell tickets, which is understandable given the uncertainty surrounding Coronavirus.
They have offered members a 100% guarantee that if they can not attend FOR ANY REASON, not just Covid, they will get a 100% refund. Not sure if that runs to public sales as I am automatically logged in when I go to the site so can't check.
I have taken all England's matches. 2 England ladies, and 1 wheelchair match plus 2,(I think). at Newcastle.

As to the forward pass, we had 2 go in against us last week both with the last pass forward. We also had 1 go in when there was a 3 man tackle steal of the ball. (I was really hacked at that 1). Not sure if they are being told to ignore forward passes but if they are then why keep it in the laws?

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:41 pm

The ball getting (obviously) stripped in the tackle is my bug bear! Surely the TMO could help the ref, the Leeds v Cas game was outrageous on that in the 1st half; all missed by the ref.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 am

Looks like Hull KR are favourites for the wooden spoon after they lose against derby rivals Hull & Wakefield spring yet another surprise & thump Leeds. It's looking tough for Leeds to make the top 4 now.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:34 pm

Massive match tonight as Wigan take on St. Helens with the winner likely to be favourites to win the league winners shield, if there is one awarded this year?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:34 pm
Massive match tonight as Wigan take on St. Helens with the winner likely to be favourites to win the league winners shield, if there is one awarded this year?
Catalans are the only club not to have hit the magic number 15 so yes it will be awarded as that was the number set as the minimum needed.
It also means they can call off games with nothing on them because they have completed the Sky minimum. Cats do not need to hit 15 for that as they get no Sky money.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:39 am

Awesome performance by Wigan last night, especially in the second half. Bevan French MOTM yet again, proving what a valuable asset he is to the team. It's so sad that there was no crowd in to watch the spectacle. My one gripe about the coverage last night was they kept mentioning that if St, Helens won, then Warrington would have gone second above Wigan. The first time they mentioned that Wigan were top, was after the game & the commentator who mentioned it sounded surprised.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:23 am

Fantastic news for Wigan, as they retain Bevan French for 2021, with an option for a further season. Often superstar is an overused statement for players, but in French's case it is a true statement of his class.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:47 pm

So Toronto will NOT be back in SL.
Failed by a vote of 8-4 with 1 not voting.
Will they be allowed back in the lower leagues?
I am hearing that we run 11 clubs next season. Champions up and no relegation for 3 seasons to bring us to 14 clubs.. That will undo a lot of the harm the bloody middle 8's caused if correct.
KR fans looking for talks with Hudgie about becoming fan owned.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:31 am

In my opinion a sad day for SL with the expulsion of Toronto. It shows North America that SL is against them getting involved.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:02 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:31 am
In my opinion a sad day for SL with the expulsion of Toronto. It shows North America that SL is against them getting involved.
As someone who was behind the club and have fought their corner since they came into our leagues I feel both short changed and betrayed by what has gone on at Toronto. I think they may have got away with closing down for the season, but the way they behaved, signing more players just days before they closed the doors. Not paying both players and many many more. Telling players they could find a new club for this season but expecting them back next year all flies in the face of what RL is all about.
They came back with a different idea/game plan to re-join at SL level and were told it was not enough and what was required. They then came back again with a proposal that was still,(as I am told) far from the needed minimum. Simply proving they thought they could, yet again, pick and choose the way they run their club. Fine, run it your way, but not in our league.

I would still not totally rule out Ottawa, New York, and any others, but we need to be sure of the packages on offer. Another mess like this really could mean the end.

I do thank Toronto for joining our leagues. It gave me the chance I would never otherwise have taken to go over and see the Falls etc and such a fabulous city that Toronto is.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 am

Hull KR season is over due to Covid 19, very sad news, wonder who they were due to play in the remaining 2 weeks of the season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54794168

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 am
Hull KR season is over due to Covid 19, very sad news, wonder who they were due to play in the remaining 2 weeks of the season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54794168
Warry, Cats and Salford in that order.

We are getting some stick and being linked to Toronto by stirrers saying we refused to play. Foolishly at best.

We have yet again 11 players out with injury and non would be fit in the next 2 weeks. 7 players tested positive for Covid (which we can actually put down to playing matches as we have had 0 positives at all in the club until Jimmy Keindhorst last week and now a further 6. We also have Tony Smith and 5 other staff in isolation after T&T. This means we simply can not play the 3 games left in the time span before the play off's. The RFL, NOT KR said we may as well stand down as we have played over the minimum 15 games and have no chance of the play off's and therefore with no relegation, nothing to play for.

To be honest I am getting sick to the back teeth of all the negativity being thrown all over the place, (not just RL), when any jack-arse decided they want to gum wobble.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:29 pm

The season is ending early next Tuesday & there will be a 6 team play-off. Wigan will win the League Winners Shield if we beat Huddersfield on Friday evening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54794980

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:56 am

Well Wigan win the League Leaders Shield, but a stubborn Huddersfield make Wigan have to dig deep. At least Wigan have earned themselves a little time off, as places 3-6 have to fight it out in the playoffs.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:31 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:56 am
Well Wigan win the League Leaders Shield, but a stubborn Huddersfield make Wigan have to dig deep. At least Wigan have earned themselves a little time off, as places 3-6 have to fight it out in the playoffs.
Was busy and only caught the last 10 first half and first 10 second. Looked a tight hard game.
Through gritted teeth but well done Wigwam. That should be the season done. They are Champions in my eyes, and the "League leaders" always will be.

On a sad note for me, that 1 lose v Wakey cost us the wooden spoon. Still think the season was decided wrongly as they finished 4 points above us, but played 2 games more. In fact they played more than any other team.
Simply a case of Sky rules the roost.
Worst case scenario for us, all the way through we had ZERO cases of Covid. In the last week we wind up with 11 cases in the club all because we were forced to play Dull who at the time knew their squad was in the middle of an epidemic of their own, but the RFL insisted the game go ahead.. . . SHAME ON THEM !!!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:10 am

Well the decision about which club is to replace Toronto in the SL in 2021. No idea which side from the 8 possible candidates is favourite.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54893659

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:45 am

Has to be done quickly so they, (whoever it is), can get a squad together.
Not sure about the others but York, Feath and Leigh in particular have already signed a number of players for next season. Problem with that? They are Championship, not SL contracts. Will they want the same players if they get promoted? Will they want "better" players. Any which way, every contract for every player on the books will need to be reworked. Not a quick task.
This is still going to effect a lot of people not just Toronto.
Even if allowed back into league 1 or the Championship a number of Toronto people will loose their jobs, while whoever comes up will need to employ more staff. Leigh, London, and York all have the backing of a money man to be able to cope. While Feaths chairman has a rather large mouth I am not sure he has the financial clout needed.
The only 1's I would discount from the 8 would be Bradford. (They will probably get the vote to return). The way the RFL have time upon time got them out of the crap they, (in my opinion), really should have to work their way back and prove they can do it off their own back.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:37 pm

I think whoever gets promoted is really going to struggle to avoid the drop from the SL in 2021, they will get thumped by the majority of the SL & it could do them more harm than good. At least Hull KR should avoid the drop!!!!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Not been announced yet but I have been told we have signed Albert Vete. If that is true it is 1 hell of a signing to start off with, and the best forward we have signed for a few years.
Time we took a year off struggling. We have the backs. We have the wingers etc all we need is the beef. A couple more like that we will be fine.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Vete now announced as signed.

Happy Robin