Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 am

Yes I don't think Toronto entered the RL ladder expecting to not play a home game all season, relegation would be very unfair, although I don't think it is a certainty that they'd end up bottom. Also if relegation was ruled out it would take out a lot of intensity from a good few of the end of season games.

I thought the only professional league was the SL & the 2 divisions below are run on a semi-pro basis, you learn something new every day?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 am
Yes I don't think Toronto entered the RL ladder expecting to not play a home game all season, relegation would be very unfair, although I don't think it is a certainty that they'd end up bottom. Also if relegation was ruled out it would take out a lot of intensity from a good few of the end of season games.

I thought the only professional league was the SL & the 2 divisions below are run on a semi-pro basis, you learn something new every day?
I was including semi pro as well as pro in the 2 x 16 leagues about half of the Championship are full time, Toulouse, Leigh, London are full time with Feath and York a mixture of both with at least 1 team in league 1 being full time, but I will let you work out which 1 that is !!
In the past when we had 2 leagues there were part time teams in both leagues and part time and full time players at most clubs. It is only with the advent of sky that the entire top league went full time. A few of the clubs we played when we were really in the doldrums in the late 80's the players actually paid "subs" to play for the clubs such as Whitehaven and a few others.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Some bad news for Toronto Wolfpack, they may not be able to complete this season. Surely there must be some way round this problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53414894

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:36 pm
Some bad news for Toronto Wolfpack, they may not be able to complete this season. Surely there must be some way round this problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53414894
I have been involved in a massive argument today over this. I know many people did not want them in our leagues and they have tried hard to twist things to their advantage this season which I do not like. Should they be unable to fulfil fixtures then perhaps a points deduction may be in order for next season, similar to Bradford, BUT, the total glee that some are finding from this really sticks in my craw.
"If it ain't in the M62 corridor we don't want em"!!!!
Total narrowmindedness that is killing a great sport.

Simply stop relegation this season and bring 2 up to have a 14 team league. What is so hard about that? If they don't play this season then no income from the RFL or any other than self funded.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm

I can't believe that so called RL fans are gloating at this news. The future of RL has to be too expand outside the M62 corridor & bring RL to a wider audience in large cities & towns.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:05 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm
I can't believe that so called RL fans are gloating at this news. The future of RL has to be too expand outside the M62 corridor & bring RL to a wider audience in large cities & towns.
What really get me is that by far the majority of these people have not been over to Canada and spoken to anyone within the Wolfpack. (They open the door to anyone, show them round and speak about what the club is about to ANYONE who wants to listen). I do not know 1 single person who has actually been over there for a game who was not impressed. Yes they are importing players at the moment, but they have teams from every age group from 5 up to 14 at the moment and are developing more sides as the players age. How on earth can that be a bad thing? Given TIME they will have a basis of a home grown squad.
When Ottawa, New York and a few others join in the media publicity will be immense and help us grow into a worldwide game. I simply don't see how that can be bad for the game in general.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Today they have been kicking off because Cats have an advantage by playing games at home in France.
Not 1 single person has complained about Leeds and the other clubs chosen to host games will also play at home thus have the same advantage as Cats.
It really does start to feel they want to compress the game back to its beginnings.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 pm

I don't think home advantage will have as much of an impact, with no crowds being present.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:16 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 pm
I don't think home advantage will have as much of an impact, with no crowds being present.
Yes, but don't forget they are hoping to have fans back after 3-4 matches if all goes well.
When that happens I can see a lot of trouble if they do not get ticketing right.
Most clubs, even Wigan and Saints only normally bring 300-400 max to our place, but Leeds, Cas, and of course Dull come in larger numbers.
If we do get fans back in grounds they MUST sell tickets with restricted numbers for 3 games a night, with each club getting a number of tickets for sale pre the match day, but not on match day, as some of our lot would certainly go to Leeds early to buy them then spend time in the boozers. Even Headingly was bursting last season with just Leeds and KR fans. Where on earth they think they can put 4 other clubs fans as well is beyond me.
All very well, but we play Leeds at home, at Leeds. And we have over 6000 season ticket holders, thus more than half filling Headingly without anyone else.
I really would not like to be having to try to sort this mess out, and, in my opinion, the complaining is way out of order.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 am

Wouldn't the majority of fans leave after there club had played or would only arrive as their team is about to play. The other option is that your ticket would only allow you to watch the one game, with fans leaving after the match. I know it's not ideal but I think they'll think of ways for fans to watch games safely.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Don't see how they could empty and refill a stadium inside half an hour which is about all the time there is between some matches because of TV timing.
KR fans, going from magic and Summer bash stay for all games. Not sure about others.
I do not know how many pass holders Wigan have but we play them early on and I would think you have as many as us. If so, the ground simply is not big enough to hold them all.
I think we should have been looking at Wigan, Huddersfield and Elland rd or, (God forbid), the KCOM as the football grounds have bigger capacity.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:13 pm

Toronto withdraw from the 2020 season with immediate effect. Not sure what the implications will be for them beyond this season. Sad news for RL. That's Hull KR's chance of getting a win gone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53474508

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:43 pm

It's been confirmed that there will be no relegation this season from the SL, after today's news that Toronto are withdrawing from this years competition.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:10 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:13 pm
Toronto withdraw from the 2020 season with immediate effect. Not sure what the implications will be for them beyond this season. Sad news for RL. That's Hull KR's chance of getting a win gone.

I'd call you an arse for that last comment, but I know you have been called much worse in the past! I am reasonably sure we will not be in the bottom 4 come seasons end.

Toronto have caused lots of ill feeling over this and I expect that if they do come back next season they will have been relegated as punishment. If not, many fans intend to hit Redhall with a mass of protesting mail. Having supported them all the way you can guess how let down I am feeling at the moment.
Featherstone have asked to take their place in SL at least for the rest of the season. I hope this comes off as they are a good club with a good history and also a decent following with a ground I enjoy going to. Also the fact we would play them twice in the first 3 games !!!!! The fact they lost the mil game so closely to Toronto last season also should stand in their favour.
Finally on this point, if they are not allowed up the league will be a farce as some clubs were due to play Toronto twice while some only once. If they are not replaced that means teams like KR will play 1 fewer game than others. God forbid they say play a bloody mini loop set to cover that !!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:47 am

My last sentence was meant to be some light humour!!! I presumed that as there is no relegation from the SL, that will also apply to Toronto as well. How fixtures this season play out I'm not sure, perhaps all results against Toronto this season will be expunged?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:47 am
My last sentence was meant to be some light humour!!! I presumed that as there is no relegation from the SL, that will also apply to Toronto as well. How fixtures this season play out I'm not sure, perhaps all results against Toronto this season will be expunged?
Exactly why I called you a name in a light hearted manner !!!!
The problem is not games played but games left to play. The idea was everyone was to have the same number of matches. Obviously those who have yet to play Toronto miss out either by losing income via the gates or via not being on Sky for which we get a decent fee. We have not played them at all thus lose 3 games, also we have played 3 home games with a crowd while some have played 5. Now I know that could not be helped as no-one knew the virus was coming, but the powers that be have done little, (yet again), to level things up

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:19 am

I don't see any way of having one team less in SL this season. Adding a team like Featherstone wouldn't be fair either. as with all respect to Featherstone or any other side that was asked to join the SL, would be substantially weaker & any sides that had more games to play against them would gain significant points victories. Removing Toronto's results would affect clubs like Hull KR that haven't played them yet from lost gate receipts & potential TV money. It'll be interesting to see what solution RL comes up with, but I guess with whatever compromise you come up with there will be some clubs that will be happier than others. But one things for sure not everybody is going to be happy.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:19 am
I don't see any way of having one team less in SL this season. Adding a team like Featherstone wouldn't be fair either. as with all respect to Featherstone or any other side that was asked to join the SL, would be substantially weaker & any sides that had more games to play against them would gain significant points victories. Removing Toronto's results would affect clubs like Hull KR that haven't played them yet from lost gate receipts & potential TV money. It'll be interesting to see what solution RL comes up with, but I guess with whatever compromise you come up with there will be some clubs that will be happier than others. But one things for sure not everybody is going to be happy.
Never did you say a truer sentence than that last 1.
I believe promoting Feath is the best solution for a number of reasons, mainly 2, that they lost the play off game by such a close margin and that they are unbeaten this season.
As a 3rd reason, they have asked to be allowed to play,(yes I know London have as well but they were relegated quite fairly), which I suggest says that they think they can cope. Also, they are a lot stronger than when they lost that play off game.. Most of their players are full time, and many other clubs have just started training again so they will not be far behind fitness wise

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm

The RL go for the safer option of erasing Toronto's playing record from the 2020 table. Sadly Hull KR are now bottom, level with Salford.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53524530

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm
The RL go for the safer option of erasing Toronto's playing record from the 2020 table. Sadly Hull KR are now bottom, level with Salford.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53524530
Yes, they have about a 17 point advantage I think.
I am more concerned with the fact all the other clubs will get some match practice on week 1 so when we play our first game they will be somewhat "hardened" from game 1.
We just never seem to get a break to our advantage.
By the way, Hudgie has announced that we will not be talking to any "high profile" players for 2021 as he expects the financial problems to roll on into 2020. Thankfully we have some good kids who can get game time this year without being under pressure.
I notice that Wakey have joined Salford in splashing out for next year. Salford have apparently got Linnett which will upset our fans as he has been a big hit while on loan, while Wakey have signed Gigot and I hear they are close to at least 2 more. (Shame they can't spend a few bob on the ground) !!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Only 4 teams will play on the first weekend, so it won't only be Hull KR that will be disadvantaged.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 pm
Only 4 teams will play on the first weekend, so it won't only be Hull KR that will be disadvantaged.
Ok, point taken. How about we were to play them twice in the first 3 weeks so by the time we hit our second game some are on number 4?

I know they have not had an easy time sorting things out but personally I would have far preferred them to let either London or Feath join the league in place of Toronto.
Seems the RFL are working at letting them back in next year which I think is totally wrong.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm

I have been watching the NRL since it started again, hardly miss a match (a lot of recording of games) I really think the standard is very good, would think our top 4 teams would struggle to be in their top 8.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:15 am

robsraiders wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm
I have been watching the NRL since it started again, hardly miss a match (a lot of recording of games) I really think the standard is very good, would think our top 4 teams would struggle to be in their top 8.
Have to agree. The entire game over there is so much faster and the yards made after a hit is way more than in SL.
I think most people accept it is a better product made to look less so by the world club championship,(especially the 3 match 6 team format), which SL teams do well in but people forget that the Aussies are mainly using the games as a pre season warm up.

We had an interview with Josh Hodgson on KR tv a couple of weeks into lockdown and he said the thing that makes the biggest difference is that after training in the UK many players head off in groups to have a few drinks, shopping etc, while in Aus they are virtually ordered to go home to bed and rest, which of course helps recovery time from any hard graft.

I am looking forward to seeing what the 6 again does for the speed of the game over here.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Interesting to see that 6 sides have withdrawn from this years challenge cup. They are now going to do a redraw, with 6 sides getting byes & 4 teams who don't get byes, will have to play games at Huddersfield, to get into the quarter finals with the other 6 sides. I don't really understand the sides that have left the competition, giving player welfare as the reason for not playing, it all sounds a bit lame.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53565124

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:20 pm
Interesting to see that 6 sides have withdrawn from this years challenge cup. They are now going to do a redraw, with 6 sides getting byes & 4 teams who don't get byes, will have to play games at Huddersfield, to get into the quarter finals with the other 6 sides. I don't really understand the sides that have left the competition, giving player welfare as the reason for not playing, it all sounds a bit lame.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53565124
It is Toronto and the 5 Championship sides.
All been furloughed and not training.
It would be dangerous for the players to play with no training and also the clubs would have to be un-furloughed, thus paid for the rest of their contracts win or lose 1 match. Remember, no crowds thus only TV money.
Financial suicide to play them.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:24 pm

The draw for the Challenge Cup has taken place as follows.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53584920

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:09 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:24 pm
The draw for the Challenge Cup has taken place as follows.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53584920
Hahahaha. Nothing of interest here. We got a bye !!!!!! Is this our luck starting to change for the better?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 pm

Well, it was only on TV, but we are back !!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:17 pm

Not happy that Leeds snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.