Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Great win for Wigan on Sunday over Hull, to move us joint top, playing Huddersfield next week, in a top of the table clash.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm
Great win for Wigan on Sunday over Hull, to move us joint top, playing Huddersfield next week, in a top of the table clash.
Wigan by 25 points at least.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am

I hope your right, but I suspect it will be a lot closer. I do feel that Wigan are beginning to get click & there is a lot of potential with Hastings & French in the side. Luckily we aren't suffering from the injuries that seem to be inflicting other teams & especially Hull KR.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am
I hope your right, but I suspect it will be a lot closer. I do feel that Wigan are beginning to get click & there is a lot of potential with Hastings & French in the side. Luckily we aren't suffering from the injuries that seem to be inflicting other teams & especially Hull KR.
Just learned today Purcell is out a minimum 8 weeks. As I say, we never get 1-2 weekers on the injury front. Now missing 8 players to long term injury, and when you look at who they are there is no wonder we are struggling.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:21 am

Hull KR at home get thumped by Castleford. If Toronto pick up form, then things will start to look bleak for Hull KR.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:21 am
Hull KR at home get thumped by Castleford. If Toronto pick up form, then things will start to look bleak for Hull KR.
What can you do when you are missing 7 important players and then George Lawler falls ill hours before kick off, Hadley,(who had a brilliant first half) goes down ill at half time, joining Litton who also took ill during the match.
Yet again, we proved we can more than match teams given a chance, but the lack of ability to rest players will always kill you after the hour mark.
The only thing worrying was Cas's ability to roll through our pack, but then, we started an entire pack lite.
I don't like to knock players, but when he signed half way through last season as an emergency I thought Kyle Trout was floundering in SL. I was surprised when we gave him another contract for this season, and last night was his worst showing yet. About 5-6 times Cas players just walked past him as if he was not there.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:23 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:21 am
What can you do when you are missing 7 important players and then George Lawler falls ill hours before kick off, Hadley,(who had a brilliant first half) goes down ill at half time, joining Litton who also took ill during the match.
Yet again, we proved we can more than match teams given a chance, but the lack of ability to rest players will always kill you after the hour mark.
The only thing worrying was Cas's ability to roll through our pack, but then, we started an entire pack lite.
I don't like to knock players, but when he signed half way through last season as an emergency I thought Kyle Trout was floundering in SL. I was surprised when we gave him another contract for this season, and last night was his worst showing yet. About 5-6 times Cas players just walked past him as if he was not there.
Was told yesterday that Garbutt was taken to hospital at the end of the game looking very ill with the blue light treatment from the ambulance.
No statement from the club as yet.
We really are down to the bare bones.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:38 pm

I didnt manage to see game v HKR on Thursday but listened to BBC Leeds, said HKR were decent in first half but 2nd was a different story, with Tigers in full charge and shouls have scored more.
Happy with our start think we will be defo in top 5 perhaps even top 3 if we avoid injuries, beating Darlo Pete and Ed's team is a good start ! :D

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:10 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:38 pm
I didnt manage to see game v HKR on Thursday but listened to BBC Leeds, said HKR were decent in first half but 2nd was a different story, with Tigers in full charge and shouls have scored more.
Happy with our start think we will be defo in top 5 perhaps even top 3 if we avoid injuries, beating Darlo Pete and Ed's team is a good start ! :D
First half was a very good game mate. Was worried about the fact you kept breaking through our middle, but the covering back was good. Thought we just about deserved the half time lead.
Second half was a different story. Not helped by what I felt was a really harsh binning. Not sure it was a foul in the first place, more a case of 2 players running at slightly different angles,(Which is what the sky com's thought as well having watched the replay). Possibly a penalty, but not a deliberate foul so as I said, the binning was harsh.
In the end, because of the illness that struck us we were only able to make 1 change in the second half with Harrison coming on for his first game of the season. Again, as I said earlier 2 went down sick and we do not know if Garbutt was hit with the same or a head injury.(Still no word from the club), but people I know well said he looked very very dodgy.
I think, in the end, the score did flatter you, but then, you could also have got more. My Cas following friends Rob' and Louise Cawthra both said much the same thing.
Top 3 I doubt, but top 5 I would expect for you. Ps, can we borrow Eden and a couple of big bastards please?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:05 pm

Wigan thump previously unbeaten Huddersfield 10-42 to go top of the table on point difference. We seem to be going from strength to strength.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:05 pm
Wigan thump previously unbeaten Huddersfield 10-42 to go top of the table on point difference. We seem to be going from strength to strength.
Don't get to carried away. I still say Udders will be closer to relegation than the playoffs.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:26 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:43 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Don't get to carried away. I still say Udders will be closer to relegation than the playoffs.
I see we play at home to Hull KR next Sunday, I bet Ed is looking forward to that like a hole in the head. :lol:

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:26 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I see we play at home to Hull KR next Sunday, I bet Ed is looking forward to that like a hole in the head. :lol:
You are correct. Can't stand that sanitized bloody stadium. Not enjoyed a game at Wigwam since you moved from Central park.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:57 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
You are correct. Can't stand that sanitized bloody stadium. Not enjoyed a game at Wigwam since you moved from Central park.
That's probably keep losing!! Saw Marshall's long range try on the Superleague Show, all I can say is wow.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:57 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
That's probably keep losing!! Saw Marshall's long range try on the Superleague Show, all I can say is wow.
Someone put it up on a rugby forum I am in and a Wigan fan said "Try of the season"
My response was "Go back and look at ours v Wakey. No contest.
Marshalls was a kick and run simple as, and the ball bounced kindly for him to pick it up. Ours was the culmination of 22 passes including a number made slipping tackles. No contest really.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 am

I'm not disputing that it shouldn't be try of the season, but when you see how far the Huddersfield players were in front of him when he kicked it, then his speed was blistering, it looked like the Huddersfield players were running backwards. Also remember that Huddersfield were unbeaten & top of the table going into this match.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 am
I'm not disputing that it shouldn't be try of the season, but when you see how far the Huddersfield players were in front of him when he kicked it, then his speed was blistering, it looked like the Huddersfield players were running backwards. Also remember that Huddersfield were unbeaten & top of the table going into this match.
Being a Wigan fan you are bound to enjoy it. I just don't see the need for people to go overboard.(Not you). If you like that sort of thing then take a look at Ryan Shaws try that clinched our win v Widnes in 17 with only a few minutes to go.(Thus clinching promotion).
He intercepted a pass on our 20 line when we had defended the line for what seemed an age and ran past all the Widnes players and ran the length of the pitch with the KR fans going ballistic.
Now again, fans from other clubs would say "WE have seen those", but what made it special was that we won the league with 6 weeks of the season to go, yet had to wait until the end of the 5th game in the 8's before we could celebrate promotion

Here you go. @ about 1 min 5 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjiVvHikrw

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:53 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 am
Being a Wigan fan you are bound to enjoy it. I just don't see the need for people to go overboard.(Not you). If you like that sort of thing then take a look at Ryan Shaws try that clinched our win v Widnes in 17 with only a few minutes to go.(Thus clinching promotion).
He intercepted a pass on our 20 line when we had defended the line for what seemed an age and ran past all the Widnes players and ran the length of the pitch with the KR fans going ballistic.
Now again, fans from other clubs would say "WE have seen those", but what made it special was that we won the league with 6 weeks of the season to go, yet had to wait until the end of the 5th game in the 8's before we could celebrate promotion

Here you go. @ about 1 min 5 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjiVvHikrw
I'm not saying it was try of the season like some people have said, just that it was a very good try, get off your high horse. Yes that was a great try by the way.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:27 pm

Latest news out of KR.
Ben Crooks(The leagues top try scorer this season so far) damaged his neck last weekend. The club are "Going to let it settle a while and asses it"
Should it not need surgery he is out 2 months +. If it does then it is 6 months +.

Honestly do not know what to say. That just makes 10 first team players out long term.
Getting to the point I am not bothered about our scores. Just praying all the lads leave the pitch in 1 piece would be a big move forward.
Stanley Gene has started working for the club as a coach. Thank God he is only 28 as he will be in the squad next week !!!!😎😎😎😎 (I know it is true. I asked him in Legends bar last week) !!!!
(In case you don't know he played for us over 2 periods in the early 90's and as he doesn't know his age. It was guestimated as 38 the first time he signed) !!!! And I was talking to him last week and he looks no older now.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Just watched Leeds v Toronto, are Leeds that good or Toronto very poor ? Think its both, I will say right now HKR will not go down ED !

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:07 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 pm
Just watched Leeds v Toronto, are Leeds that good or Toronto very poor ? Think its both, I will say right now HKR will not go down ED !
Being a Rhinos fan I’m loving this season, so far.....
But like you I’m not convinced they’re that good, need a few big games to really judge them!
Salford are the one really struggling from what I’ve seen.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:25 am

comeondarlo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:07 pm
robsraiders wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 pm
Being a Rhinos fan I’m loving this season, so far.....
But like you I’m not convinced they’re that good, need a few big games to really judge them!
Salford are the one really struggling from what I’ve seen.
I wouldn't write off Toronto just yet. They've played all their games away from home & I think they maybe a different proposition when they are on their own manor. Time will tell, but I suspect relegation will be between Toronto, Hull KR & Salford.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:07 am

Apparently the Toronto owner isn't losing his appetite for Rugby League, as he is going to launch a new Rugby League side in Ottawa on Monday. He's got permission for Ottawa to join Division 1 from 2021. The globalisation of Rugby League is under way. Personally I think this is a good thing, as the game needs bigger sides & bigger attendances. The downside is that there will be some causalities, especially from poorly supported super league sides like Salford, Wakefield & Huddersfield, as they will struggle to compete with the larger better supported clubs. Also some Championship sides will struggle to become super league sides, as the financial gap between the super league & championship is only going to grow & grow.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:30 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:07 am
Apparently the Toronto owner isn't losing his appetite for Rugby League, as he is going to launch a new Rugby League side in Ottawa on Monday. He's got permission for Ottawa to join Division 1 from 2021. The globalisation of Rugby League is under way. Personally I think this is a good thing, as the game needs bigger sides & bigger attendances. The downside is that there will be some causalities, especially from poorly supported super league sides like Salford, Wakefield & Huddersfield, as they will struggle to compete with the larger better supported clubs. Also some Championship sides will struggle to become super league sides, as the financial gap between the super league & championship is only going to grow & grow.
For Ottawa read Hemel Hempstead who are the franchise he has bought and is moving to Ottawa. Sad because Hemel is a good setup. I have always said the expansion is good, but not at the cost of another established club.
The clubs you name will be fine. Salford are owned by their fans and the good Dr k still covers their losses. Udders have an "Uncle Brad" who does not mind how much it costs, and Wakey,(who I watched a lot in the 4 years I lived near there when not playing the same time as KR have a very loyal and vocal fan base. If the council would just stop messing them about and finalise the new ground they will flourish.
It is the likes of Batley, Rochdale, and Dewsbury I fear for. Sides who are a lot older than you and I but are struggling at the wrong end of the championship. (Batley were the friendliest club the year we were in the championship), and having signed Shaun Lunt I am keeping an eye on them.
Below the Championship most should be fine as they are either amature or have a money man at the head, and the costs drop dramatically at most clubs below the Championship.
Once New York join in we have to help them get the North American league up and running. Toronto has been a good starting point and they have led the way with publicity over there. Both Ottawa and NY will help that grow, but for the sake of our game here there must be a time limit on getting the NA league up and running. We simply can't have 5 non English teams in our top national league, and that is the way it is heading.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:36 am

A couple of shocks last night, as Warrington squeeze past Castleford & even more impressively Huddersfield who were thumped at home last week by Wigan, narrowly win at St Helens.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:36 am
A couple of shocks last night, as Warrington squeeze past Castleford & even more impressively Huddersfield who were thumped at home last week by Wigan, narrowly win at St Helens.
Agree Udders was a shock but can't think Warry was.
Watched the Warry v Cas game. No doubt Rob will disagree but I would rather have watched pain drying. What a poor, poor game from 2 of the country's top sides. It seemed as if neither wanted to win until they decided to have a drop goal feast with 5 to go. Shocking game from 2 sides I normally enjoy watching.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:24 am

It was a slight shock given the form of Warrington up to that game. I agree the rugby was really poor & the drop goals at the end were laughable. No doubt Rob will not agree. Wigan should win comfortably today over Ed's Hull KR.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:17 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:24 am
It was a slight shock given the form of Warrington up to that game. I agree the rugby was really poor & the drop goals at the end were laughable. No doubt Rob will not agree. Wigan should win comfortably today over Ed's Hull KR.
Believe it or not, less than 50 points and no more ruddy injuries I will drive home a happy Robin

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:02 pm

Half time.

Hard to say how I feel here. Losing at HT by a try scored in the last knockings of the half. Deflated at being behind to a very good try, but we have played the game well and deserve to be level in all honesty.

Second half just kicked off. Hardacker kicks deep and we play a decent first 6. Long way to go !!!!!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:09 pm

Pete, you are not going to like this 1. Brierley just did a Marshall on you and ran 70 yards past your defence.

Ps, Storton won't play again today not will Mahar so that half of my wish not heeded by the Gods.

18-16 and our 250 fans are way out shouting you.