Mike Bassett 2

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Makka Pakka
Team Supported: Darlington

Mike Bassett 2

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Bit of a difference in opinion on the original film between the Mirror:
The hugely-popular comedy, which featured a cameo from Pele, made over £3million at the UK box office.
and the Guardian:
So, since nobody alive likes, cares about or remembers either the Mike Bassett film or the Mike Bassett sitcom, it seems a bit strange to hear that a new Mike Bassett film is in the works.

I still watch the original on occasions and still piss my pants laughing so I'll be going to see it. I do agree that the ITV sitcom was shite though.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlogramps

Re: Mike Bassett 2

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 pm

The film is one of my favourites of all time, although nowhere near as comical as the actual England set up.

I agree that the sitcome was rubbish.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:37 pm

It is easily the best football film out there, not sure if that is really an achievement though!

I don't think I ever watched this sitcom mind, but it sounds atrocious. It is still probably the best fictional football based show out there mind!

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:55 am

Great film and former Darlo player (great Afro).

Favourite moments:
When the English Irish and Scottish teams arrive in the host nation (see YouTube)

Pele is getting interviewed "football brings the world together .... Dam it's the English lets go elsewhere"

"We will be playing. 4 4 f*cking 2"

The commentators when england beat the argies with a hand of god.
lo36789 wrote: I don't think I ever watched this sitcom mind, but it sounds atrocious. It is still probably the best fictional football based show out there mind!
Renford rejects!
Dream team!
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:06 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:
lo36789 wrote: I don't think I ever watched this sitcom mind, but it sounds atrocious. It is still probably the best fictional football based show out there mind!
Dream team!
Correct answer.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:42 pm

mikkyx wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:
Dream team!
Correct answer.
Haha. Some great storylines in that admittedly.

Keep seeing old players popping up in soaps! Most of them seem to die quite quickly though, at least in Dream Team they would tend to see out a season before a cull.

I did enjoy that they seemingly played in purple so they could used clips of any team in Blue/Red but slightly tint the colour one way or another!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:Great film and former Darlo player (great Afro).

Favourite moments:
When the English Irish and Scottish teams arrive in the host nation (see YouTube)

Pele is getting interviewed "football brings the world together .... Dam it's the English lets go elsewhere"

"We will be playing. 4 4 f*cking 2"

The commentators when england beat the argies with a hand of god.
Renford rejects!
Dream team!
When the FA are looking for a manager, they go through every manager in the top flight, even Sunderland's who, iirc was supposedly in jail, and they say something like 'Well, you know where we are going to have to look, bloody Scandanavia'

When he gets pissed and is dancing on the bar in his Y-Fronts just when Pele walks past

The airport brawl with the Jocks, and out of nowhere "look, it's the paddy's"

The note under the FA Chairmans door from Mick Channon in 1979 or something

The Captain getting pinched for hooliganism
lo36789 wrote:
mikkyx wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:
Dream team!
Correct answer.
Haha. Some great storylines in that admittedly.

Keep seeing old players popping up in soaps! Most of them seem to die quite quickly though, at least in Dream Team they would tend to see out a season before a cull.

I did enjoy that they seemingly played in purple so they could used clips of any team in Blue/Red but slightly tint the colour one way or another!
Ah yes, Harchester United, the Club of death, Coach Crashes, Plane Crashes, a player took down by a sniper, suicide, coach blowing up, getting a pot smashed over the head, impaled on a coat peg...

The footage they used at times was shocking, The New Den stood in as Harchesters home ground, but the footage showing was more often than not Stamford Bridge, but also Goodison and White Hart Lane at times and it was often Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton and on one occasion Crystal Palace games used
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:Ah yes, Harchester United, the Club of death, Coach Crashes, Plane Crashes, a player took down by a sniper, suicide, coach blowing up, getting a pot smashed over the head, impaled on a coat peg...
I only really saw later series.

I remember Jamie Parker being shot, after throwing games. Munday Bandele having to marry a girl to get a work permit. Callum Davenport the £30m signing from Barcelona who had a hereditary eye condition and ended up blind. And a goalkeeper who could predict the future.

Not to forget the chairmanship being given to a season ticket holder, who actually ended up being a random Everton fan (I actually refereed the 'son' 2 years ago playing in a local Liverpool league).

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:Ah yes, Harchester United, the Club of death, Coach Crashes, Plane Crashes, a player took down by a sniper, suicide, coach blowing up, getting a pot smashed over the head, impaled on a coat peg...
I only really saw later series.

I remember Jamie Parker being shot, after throwing games. Munday Bandele having to marry a girl to get a work permit. Callum Davenport the £30m signing from Barcelona who had a hereditary eye condition and ended up blind. And a goalkeeper who could predict the future.

Not to forget the chairmanship being given to a season ticket holder, who actually ended up being a random Everton fan (I actually refereed the 'son' 2 years ago playing in a local Liverpool league).
If I remember correctly, Jamie Parker was suicide by cop, cant remember the reason behind it though...

The Psychic keeper, was that Viv Wright, an absolute mad man with some kind of personality disorder, doing things like turning upto training with a shot gun(the only thing he shot at was his car, he threw Karl Fletcher out of a 1st floor window and the time he carried out an armed robbery for a laugh...

One of his finest moments had to be his half time team talk in the Play-Offs after he was informed about Fletch's death...I based one of my performing arts assesments at college on that speech..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1U_wq6xCiI
442 Football Crazy Admin

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:If I remember correctly, Jamie Parker was suicide by cop, cant remember the reason behind it though...
He was either betting on Harchester to get relegated or he was being paid to throw matches to get them relegated. Either way he ended up holding up the dressing room in someway to require a SWOT team to turn up and he made sure he was shot. At least that is what I remember!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Going to have to start watching Dream Team...

All the episodes are at http://www.harchesterunitedfc.com/

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
442 Football Crazy Admin

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 am

When the FA are looking for a manager, they go through every manager in the top flight, even Sunderland's who, iirc was supposedly in jail, and they say something like 'Well, you know where we are going to have to look, bloody Scandanavia'
The board room bit is one of my favourites, when the camera peeks over the shoulder of one of the old fogies and shows his notepaper in front of him with doodles on it including a drawing of a cock.
One of the members suggests "Ally McTavish" (a parody of Alex Ferguson) and the chairman goes through all of his achievements and declares him the ideal candidate and then "only trouble is, he's Scottish"
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
The board room bit is one of my favourites, when the camera peeks over the shoulder of one of the old fogies and shows his notepaper in front of him with doodles on it including a drawing of a cock.
One of the members suggests "Ally McTavish" (a parody of Alex Ferguson) and the chairman goes through all of his achievements and declares him the ideal candidate and then "only trouble is, he's Scottish"
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/y2y5egan.jpg[/img]

When reading the Mike Bassett wikipedia page, his fictional back story had him managing the Iranian National Womens team, he offends the locals has it away sharp to the airport with a bottle of Chivas Regal and a Fatwa on Harry Redknapp :-D

There was also a bit where they had to train by kicking an imaginary football around...

Going the wrong way after Norwich won a cup, the bus goes up a motorway and has to turn back

And when he gets the England job, the press are waiting outside his house, be opens the curtains and he has no kegs on

At some point he has a dream where he is being chased round Wembley by a 50ft Bobby Moore shouting 'Look what you've done'

When he picks his first squad, he writes it on a fag packet and accidently picks 2 ancient lower league players and says something like 'Where can you see Benson and Hedges on there' then Phil Jupitus character goes on to ask him 'will be picking 20 players' 'How about Lambert and Butler or Pete Stuyvesant'

I am easily amused by the stupidest and idiotic things

It is not really the best movie in the world, but it is quite amusing, it is quite close to real life with it's stereotypes turned up 10 notches...It is probably one of my favourite daft films
442 Football Crazy Admin