What's hot and what's not : areas in/near Darlington to live

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Sunseekers

What's hot and what's not : areas in/near Darlington to live

Post by Sunseekers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:57 am

:? :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: Help needed to try and focus on looking in the right places to relocate to the Darlington area.
We like : Space...(not outer!!) Countryside...Peace/Tranquility...Access to civilisation.
We have : Lots of life,2 dogs( small,well behaved and quite cute)....
We are : Fit,healthy,football fans.Married...Mature(only by years)...
We do not have :: Loads of money,patience with idiots,or a need to watch reality TV.
We also like : Nice places to eat,walk,people,great neighbours,wine,Bacardi,Sunshine breaks...
We need :2/3 bedroomed property in an area with a fairly likeminded group of people.All ages pref....AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO FIND IT!!.....PLEASE!!!! :) :) :thumbup:
Sorry that we don't know the area.....but we have done loads of research and we think it's the place for us...maybe..THANKS FOR YOU INPUT........ :wave:

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: What's hot and what's not : areas in/near Darlington to

Post by Quakerz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:08 am

Heighington, though house prices are high compared to the local area. But you get what you pay for I guess. Lovely village, but big enough to have a couple of pubs, a couple of takeaways and a big Spar.

Only 2 or 3 miles either way to Darlington and Newton Aycliffe.

There's also Hurworth, Harrowgate Hill, Beaumont Hill just on the outskirts of Darlington, with Brafferton also not too far out.

Happy hunting.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:22 am

i live in summerhouse
its mint

Sunseekers

Post by Sunseekers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:44 am

:) :) Thanks for this ......on to it now...We will be travelling to the area shortly and staying for a few days to get the feel of the place..If the prices are a little out of our range then we will 'widen the net' just a little.Appreciate your help....and will keep checking in...... :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:17 pm

I grew up in Heighington, so can recommend it. My parents still live there.

As Quakerz says, a couple of decent pubs, a chippie, and Spar. Easy to get to Darlington and Aycliffe by car. Loads of open space as well - a couple of pretty decent village greens right in the middle and there's also some nice walks around the outskirts as well if you're in to that kind of thing.

It is also on top of a hill, so you won't get flooded.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Sunseekers

Post by Sunseekers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Great to have your views and suggestions... Have just booked a hotel for us to stay in and will speak to the agents before we get there...Summerhouse looks great but nothing in our price range!! (roll on the Lottery Win :D !) So pleased to get some genuine feedback....Looking on some sites reviewing.areas,towns etc. you'd think the whole of some areas should be nuked!! .....Thankfully we know better!!.. :wave:

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Try Ingleton as well, I lived there for a few years
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:41 pm

It's a terrible place.

Try some of the villages on the Yorkshire side for something tolerable.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

Sunseekers

Post by Sunseekers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks for this latest....the yorks. side?? Any specific suggestions...please.. We will be in the area for 4 days on this occasion to get 'the vibes'....pardon the airy fairy quote...but we are noting and putting all the suggestions onto a map board...Are we sad, or what? But we are looking forward to this adventure next week.Thanks guys again.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:09 pm

You could try somewhere like Gainford - half way between Darlington and Barnard Castle. Some not-too-expensive houses there, and the River Tees is just down in the valley.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... l?index=10
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Summerhouse would be great if you could find somewhere there. My family ran the Raby Hunt Inn there from 1900 till 1977 and I spent many happy childhood holidays there.
In those days several of us went from Summerhouse to stand in the tin shed end at Feethams every match and we'd celebrate or commiserate in the Raby Hunt afterwards.
You could try Richmond or surrounding areas - places like Brompton - On - Swale would fit your bill. If not too far out. But Brompton to Darlo is only 20 minutes straight up the A1 to our new ground.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:59 pm

I was going to suggest Richmond too - not sure how expensive it is there though, but a great place to get up into the hills and walk your dogs (but mind the sheep)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNyQyrWidZ4
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:57 pm

It really depends on your price range of course . I grew up in Darlington and have moved around the area quite a lot so here is my contribution for you to think about .
In the town the West End or Mowden come close to your specification , they are suburban but have plenty of places for walking your dogs . For a lower price choice some parts of Harrowgate Hill (the northern end) might be worth a look .
Out of town the County Durham side is cheaper than North Yorkshire but remember the old saying " you get what you pay for " . There are lots of pleasant villages south of Darlington take a look at Brompton on Swale , I've a soft spot for it because I was born there , dog walkers love taking a stroll by the river . Richmond has rightly been mentioned and may suit you if you like a small town , also if relevant it has some truly excellent schools .
Hope this helps . Please do let us know where you finally end up !

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Sunseekers wrote:Thanks for this latest....the yorks. side?? Any specific suggestions...please..
Barton and Stapleton.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Sunseekers

Post by Sunseekers » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:13 am

These suggestions are great!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Have set up a small 'operation life-change' area /board just by the front door(filling up with essential supplies and some totally unessential)!!! and already we can't wait to jump in the car and drive the 350 miles to sample your recommended local delights!!
Are there any areas that we definitely should avoid unless armed to the teeth ?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown: ..
Thanks again everyone...... :wave:

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:04 am

Branksome, red hall in town. Richmond is full of pretensious twats who think they are something special.

How much do you have to spend?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:28 am

summerhouse is a bit quiet like, but thats why i moved there, the raby hunt is expensive but good food, fortunately i get half price as i live next to it lol

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Well I live in Wensleydale - can't beat it, but I work in Richmond, therefore I am probably a pretentious twat too. (Notice I can spell pretentious correctly). The one thing we pretentious twats have in common with the rest of you is that we also support the best club there is (Darlo) when we're singing along next to you on the terraces.
No offence taken.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:48 pm

Big lol at people from Richmond being 'pretentious twats' :lol:

They're as backwards and small minded as people from Darlington, their town is just a bit easier on they eye.

OP - stick to Yorkshire villages, someone mentioned Barton and Stapleton, both good shouts. See also Mansfield, eppleby, aldbrough St. John, melsonby, caldwell etc
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

jonn

Post by jonn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:46 pm

So.... what did you decide in the end? The suspense is killing us.