KP

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ArmchairDiehard
Team Supported: Darlington

KP

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Tue May 12, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm not going to pretend that I'm a cricket expert, but surely he should be given an England recall given his recent form?

I know we've got a few cricket fans on here who'll be more clued up than me on the whole saga, but I can't understand why he's been treated as a scapegoat?
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Fatty eats roadkill

Re: KP

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue May 12, 2015 5:04 pm

Cos he called the captain a c*** on tele who now happens to be a selector. That's why.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Beano

KP

Post by Beano » Tue May 12, 2015 5:42 pm

A surreal situation as he is the best English player, and a fantastic tactician, by a country mile.

I'm stunned that Cook has retained his captaincy - totally out of his depth.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 12, 2015 6:09 pm

He's clearly one of our best batsmen. However, where would he fit into our current batting lineup? Our middle order is basically our only settled part of the team. He shouldn't have been out of the team in the first place, but those who got the chance have performed superbly. More pressing in my opinion is the poor bowling attack.

The way it has been handled is ridiculous though. Even down to graves saying if he played county cricket and scored runs he would be considered, but now Strauss has ruled it out for this summer. Bonkers.

I don't think cook is a great captain, and it is I believe affecting his batting, which is great. I'm not sure who a better candidate is at the moment though. There's only Root, and I would be wary of weighing down our greatest talent with the task of steering a team in transition through some very tough series over the next year or so.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue May 12, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm indifferent on KP as he's not really fired in the last few years, on form he's devastating.

I predict we will go 2 down in the ashes & he will be recalled and fail!

Cook is an outstanding batsman but is suffering under the weight of captaincy

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue May 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Kp not selected due to trust issues but offered a role in the odi set up, I don't care what has gone in the past, we should be selecting our best team and KP has made every effort to show how he wants to play for England again. Its not like we are setting the world alight at test cricket.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:I'm indifferent on KP as he's not really fired in the last few years, on form he's devastating.

Why would it be Peitersen's responsibility to single handedly pull as back from 2 down?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

KP

Post by Beano » Tue May 12, 2015 10:20 pm

The ECB is an embarrassment; if it was a dog, it would have been euthanised.

They insisted KP should apologise to every single member of the squad in order to be reintegrated - he did.

The insisted he must return to county cricket and score runs to be considered - he has.

They've stated the above publicly and then retreated upon completion.

Inept management of the highest order and a PR disaster.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 12, 2015 10:34 pm

England are hopeless and it sums them up perfectly when they won't pick the best England batsman around at the moment.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 13, 2015 3:42 am

Spyman wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:I'm indifferent on KP as he's not really fired in the last few years, on form he's devastating.

Why would it be Peitersen's responsibility to single handedly pull as back from 2 down?
Not saying it is, I'm just predicting what will happen, because the ECB are so inept they will panic and rush him back & 1 man can't win a test never mind a series, thus it will be seen as a failure

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Wed May 13, 2015 6:18 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:England are hopeless and it sums them up perfectly when they won't pick the best England batsman around at the moment.
I thought Joe Root was in the squad????

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 13, 2015 7:15 am

They don't even pick their best spinner Tredwell.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 13, 2015 8:17 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:England are hopeless and it sums them up perfectly when they won't pick the best England batsman around at the moment.
But who would he play instead of, at least in the test team? Ballance averages over 60, so not him. Root averages over 50, and apparently 85 at number 5, so not him. So that leaves Bell, who has been the one senior batsman over the last few years to consistently stand up and make big scores when needed. So not him.

The other option is 6 batsman, but that would mean playing just 4 bowlers, and without a world class spin option that would be a disaster I think.

Limited overs there is more of a case for Pietersens inclusion, but the discussion surrounding him is mainly about the ashes, and I just cant see where he would play based on the current form of the incumbent middle order, no matter how good Pietersen has been historically, or that one superb innings.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 am

So what did KP actually do to cause these massive trust issues?

Was he shagging everyone else's lass?

Got to be honest I haven't really followed cricket for a few years now so genuinely don't know what he's done.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed May 13, 2015 11:14 am

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Cos he called the captain a c*** on tele who now happens to be a selector. That's why.
EPIC FAIL FROM FATTY

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed May 13, 2015 1:50 pm

They're both a set of c**** anyway.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed May 13, 2015 3:26 pm

I hope KP lights up his bat and scores a record breaking amount of runs, just for the meltdown in the ECB.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed May 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Is he likely to return to the IPL now?
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 13, 2015 4:34 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:Is he likely to return to the IPL now?
I suspect he will take the money from the IPL, Auss Big Bash & West Indies tournament, and can't fault him

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 13, 2015 10:49 pm

ArmchairDieHard wrote:Is he likely to return to the IPL now?
No apparently he's injured and won't be going to the IPL. Which makes it a bit ironic that he wouldn't have been fit enough to face New Zealand.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 14, 2015 8:02 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:They don't even pick their best spinner Tredwell.
Because he's a County level spinner. He would get murdered at Test level.

England don't have any Test quality spinners and rather alarmingly, I don't see any coming through in the immediate future.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 14, 2015 8:17 am

al_quaker wrote:
But who would he play instead of, at least in the test team? Ballance averages over 60, so not him. Root averages over 50, and apparently 85 at number 5, so not him. So that leaves Bell, who has been the one senior batsman over the last few years to consistently stand up and make big scores when needed.
I disagree. I'd prefer Pietersen over Bell.

Ballance and Root have been fairly consistent and don't get me wrong, Bell is a fine player.

But Pietersen has something different. He can change a game quickly and is one of the few England players opposition sides genuinely fear.

That's why he needs to be in the side. International cricket is changing. Batsman are scoring big runs quickly and this is going to be the norm.

Once again, England is getting left behind because it refuses to accept risk, or anything that might threaten the "steady as she goes" orthodoxy.

The problems go much deeper and they're not being addressed even now, but the refusal to pick Pietersen is symptomatic of the major problems English cricket inflicts on itself.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 am

I think it would be overly harsh on Bell to drop him, but I do understand the point re the speed of runs scored, although interestingly Bell's strike rate since Pietersen was no longer in the team has increased to the type of strike rate Pietersen has in test cricket (~60).

If Pietersen sticks in country cricket, and makes more big scores (he has only made one, albeit a remarkable one, since his return) then the pressure might become unbearable. However, he doesn't help himself with the types of tweet he sent out yesterday - he'd be better served by shutting up and scoring big runs.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 14, 2015 10:28 am

al_quaker wrote: If Pietersen sticks in country cricket, and makes more big scores (he has only made one, albeit a remarkable one, since his return) then the pressure might become unbearable. However, he doesn't help himself with the types of tweet he sent out yesterday - he'd be better served by shutting up and scoring big runs.
I agree with that - it certainly wasn't particularly dignified.

I think Strauss has made a rod for his own back now. If Pietersen ever was selected, it would look like weakness on Strauss's part, given all the trust issues he supposedly has with Pietersen. There would be a hell of a lot of questions being asked if Pietersen ever did return.

I don't think Pietersen ever will comeback, certainly not while Strauss and Cook are there. Given the shoddy way this whole mess has been handled, I think he'll stick two fingers up at ECB, and go for the big paydays in the various T20 tournaments in India, Australia and the Caribbean.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat May 16, 2015 8:13 pm

How can there be trust issues if he was offered a role with the odi team? Also a few of the team/old team mates have said they have no issues with trust with KP.
Flintoff has said he'd pick him as it's all about picking the best players, and that you don't need to like everyone you play with and I agree with that.