Re: English cricket.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 am

Bernie Rhodes knows wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:28 pm
Just got back from Leeds
That must be one of the best, No THE best innings by an England cricketer ever
Absolutely astonishing from Ben Stokes
You think of Botham 81,but surely that surpassed it
Probably Botham's was better, as yesterdays commentary team said that the pitch had got a lot better by the last day. I think the pitch wasn't that good when Botham was playing. But either way it is hard to quantify, different era and different bowlers.

robsraiders
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by robsraiders » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:58 am

I was there and now part of cricket history, and think this innings was the best ever, and dont forget Jack Leach contribution 1 run in a 80 partnership

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 am

I have made it quite clear I am not a cricket fan, but even I got caught up in it and having turned on for 10 minutes to watch the start of the end while waiting for another program to start I was there until the end.

A great innings by Stokes, but lets leave it at that. Why diminish an innings like that but trying to quantify which was the best?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:50 am

EDJOHNS wrote:I have made it quite clear I am not a cricket fan, but even I got caught up in it and having turned on for 10 minutes to watch the start of the end while waiting for another program to start I was there until the end.

A great innings by Stokes, but lets leave it at that. Why diminish an innings like that but trying to quantify which was the best?
I agree completely with you (don’t be alarmed!)

Stokes 2019, Botham 1981 - both special, amazing innings which will go down in history. We don’t need to say which was better. Celebrate them in their own rights.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:19 am

Beefy and Ben are so similar in their attitudes. Throw them the ball to get you a wicket, place them anywhere in the field and they'll take a catch that most wouldn't get near to, send them out to bat against bowlers with their tails up and they won't take a backwards step.

How long before we can clone them?

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:23 am

If England turn round the Ashes after this then I think Botham's Summer of 1981 may be eclipsed by Stokes's Summer of 2019, when you take in the WC performances as well, as you can't imagine this England side coming out of the last 2 tests either 1-0 or 2-0 without Stokes getting involved again at some point.

Those 15 overs unchanged on Friday (??) evening were also something special.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 am

Dismal England get their just deserts & lose the Ashes. Root out first ball, must be under threat to keep the captaincy & you could argue that he could lose his place in the side. Hopefully England will now make changes for the final test.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am

Truly shocking that England stay with the same squad for the final match of the series. No doubt we'll be hammered yet again.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:13 am

England were embarrassing this morning, as night watchman scores 40. The whole test match went down the pan then Root won the toss & decided to bowl first. Remember that South Africa have lost their last 5 tests.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Well as expected England duly lose yet again. Root is to blame for making a terrible decision when they won the toss. I can't see how he expects to keep his job as captain, he's a liability.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:39 pm

Well England have been well and truly taught a lesson by the Aussies, as the first game of the Ashes has pretty well already been lost after just 2 days.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:26 pm

England are yet again dismal, we really are shocking. No decent bowlers that can bowl at a decent speed, apart from Wood. Broad and Anderson should be playing their last ever test for England, but no doubt they'll feature in some of the remaining tests.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:08 pm

England men are completely hopeless as they win 1 test out of the last 17 played and I think we are near the bottom of the test rankings. At least the women show us how to do well. Good luck to them on Sunday morning.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Nightmare for Broad today as he concedes 35 in one over, a world record. I don't think Broad should carry on playing for England, we need some young blood.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:56 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:24 pm
Nightmare for Broad today as he concedes 35 in one over, a world record. I don't think Broad should carry on playing for England, we need some young blood.
Pete you only seem to comment when something bad happens to the England Cricket Team. What about the 3-0 series win against New Zealand this summer? Some of the most exciting test cricket seen in this country for a long time, but you focus in on 1 bad piece of bowling from Chris Broad. Please give some credit to the team for recent performances. Some superb batting from Root and Bairstow surely more worthy of comment than 1 wayward over.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:52 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:56 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:24 pm
Pete you only seem to comment when something bad happens to the England Cricket Team. What about the 3-0 series win against New Zealand this summer? Some of the most exciting test cricket seen in this country for a long time, but you focus in on 1 bad piece of bowling from Chris Broad. Please give some credit to the team for recent performances. Some superb batting from Root and Bairstow surely more worthy of comment than 1 wayward over.
OG stop it…….sooooo much sense!

I’ve got tbh I think I’d have left Root as captain as I don’t think putting your best ‘maverick’ player in the job works and there were no other candidates in my view. I can already see that I was wrong, this New England is a breath of fresh air. Playing this way will sometimes cause ups and downs but looking at the bigger picture I’m in favour.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:25 pm

It's certainly more exciting, but I do think England were lucky to win the series against New Zealand 3-0.