Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brendan Rodgers

Post by AndyPark » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Frank De Boer? Not a bad shout.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:27 am

Klopp I reckon - suits him better than it does Ancelotti. Liverpool are similar to Dortmund in that they are clubs who can't attract the biggest named players and have to sell to their rivals/bigger clubs.

The biggest difference is that in Germany it is really only Bayern that dominate financially whereas in England it is Chelsea, City and United.

I am sure there are Liverpool fans that will say the words "Five times" in response to that, given they are the biggest club in Europe. The only saving grace is that they are second place behind Newcastle for having the most deluded fans.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am

Not sure why Ancelotti would go to Liverpool after such a successful career.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Klopp was allegedly approached even before Rodgers was sacked. I think Klopp would be a great addition to the Premier League, a larger than life character.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm not sure if Klopp or Ancelotti would want to work with a group of people helping to decide transfer targets with him. Having said that, I'm not sure why you'd hire someone like that and not trust them to identify targets on their own.

Pete is spot on about Klopp though. His style of management is made for the Premier League.

I'd be surprised if they hadn't made some sort of contact with their prime target before they officially sacked Rodgers.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Klopp was allegedly approached even before Rodgers was sacked. I think Klopp would be a great addition to the Premier League, a larger than life character.
For once DP, I agree with you.

Klopp seems like an interesting manager in his approach and how he'd interview etc, his record with youth would likely benefit the national team and he's as likely as anyone to get Liverpool, a club with a decent amount of history, competing with the plastic dirge of Man City/Chelsea.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Darlo_H wrote:his record with youth
Didn't think he was that renowned for developing youngsters? I thought he was more renowned for getting relatively cheap foreign imports mostly from Poland.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Looks like Liverpool want Klopp in quickly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34448282

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:10 am

Perhaps before another higher profile job in the Premiership becomes available?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:00 am

Spyman wrote:Perhaps before another higher profile job in the Premiership becomes available?

My thoughts exactly
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Apparently he is being given fully control of transfers, which was a major condition of him wanting the job.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:48 pm

Would be a gamble for Liverpool if they did that. As far as I was aware at Dortmund he was simply the head coach.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 pm

He was, but he had plenty of say on transfer targets.

It's more of a gamble for Klopp than it is for Liverpool.
Quakerz wrote:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:56 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:He was, but he had plenty of say on transfer targets.

Just as Rodgers would've had plenty of say at Liverpool. He was part of a small group that decided on targets, with a couple of scouts, the chief executive and one other.

I'd be surprised if that differs greatly at any top level club, despite the media making a big deal of it.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:54 am

Spyman wrote:I'd be surprised if that differs greatly at any top level club, despite the media making a big deal of it.
Agreed. Although it seemed a bit more severe at Liverpool as players were brought in and then seemed to be nowhere near the first team and Rodgers outright said he didn't want them before they signed (Balotelli).

It also seemed that players signed Rodgers didn't really know where to play them or what to do with them - Can at right back for instance.

I highly doubt Klopp is going to have full control, and actually in hindsight I should have checked who posted the comment. It is probably just completely made up to try and generate some sort of reaction. All reports I have seen say that FSG will keep the transfer committee and that Klopp is comfortable with that set up.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:31 am

lo36789 wrote:All reports I have seen say that FSG will keep the transfer committee and that Klopp is comfortable with that set up.
I think they need a new transfer committee.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Spyman wrote:

Just as Rodgers would've had plenty of say at Liverpool. He was part of a small group that decided on targets, with a couple of scouts, the chief executive and one other.

I'd be surprised if that differs greatly at any top level club, despite the media making a big deal of it.

I don't disagree, but I think 'top-end' managers (of which Klopp is one) will want more of a input in transfers.

It's a great coup for Liverpool though, and if he's given the right backing from the owners could be the man to take the league title back to Anfield.
Quakerz wrote:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:58 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:
Spyman wrote:

I don't disagree, but I think 'top-end' managers (of which Klopp is one) will want more of a input in transfers.

It's a great coup for Liverpool though, and if he's given the right backing from the owners could be the man to take the league title back to Anfield.
Even with Klopp's undoubted talent, I still can't see Liverpool challenging for the title in the next few years, when you have the big 4 clubs who have bigger pockets than Liverpool.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
ArmchairDiehard wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Even with Klopp's undoubted talent, I still can't see Liverpool challenging for the title in the next few years, when you have the big 4 clubs who have bigger pockets than Liverpool.
If you look at NET transfer spends over the last 3 or 4 seasons I doubt many have spent more than Liverpool.

Both Dalglish and Rodgers squads have been expensively built.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 pm

They'll probably have to sell before they can buy, as they have plenty of players that are over rated.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:23 am

I can't wait for Klopp to work his magic at Liverpool- personally I think he prefers working at a club where he can build it - going to a Man U wouldn't be his style - although eventually I think he will go to Bayern (if he has a successful spell at Liverpool).
Even Ferguson said he is worried about the appointment of Klopp.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:59 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I can't wait for Klopp to work his magic at Liverpool- personally I think he prefers working at a club where he can build it - going to a Man U wouldn't be his style - although eventually I think he will go to Bayern (if he has a successful spell at Liverpool).
Even Ferguson said he is worried about the appointment of Klopp.
Do you remember how his time at Dortmund ended?

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Other than his final year, he did remarkably well with Dortmund. And to be fair, they did suffer some rotten luck with injuries during his final few months there.
Quakerz wrote:

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:18 pm

ArmchairDiehard wrote:Other than his final year, he did remarkably well with Dortmund. And to be fair, they did suffer some rotten luck with injuries during his final few months there.
So it wasn't a fairy tale ending? That doesn't sound very magical.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:56 pm

The Liverpool side that Rodgers has built has some gaping holes in it before it is close to a title. GK, CB, LB, LM need serious investment.

He has said he won't raid Dortmund, but I am not so sure Moyes said the same when he went to United (Fellaini and attempts at Baines) and Rodgers said the same when he left Swansea (Joe Allen).

Hummels (CB) and Reus (LM) instantly look like they fit holes that exist. Who knows where they will get the rest though.

Suspect time will be up for Mignolet, Lovren, Jose Enrique, Moreno, Origi, Yesil, Balotelli, Markovic and Luis Alberto. There should be at least £50m in sales from that, probably a net loss of something similar mind.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:07 pm

lo36789 wrote:The Liverpool side that Rodgers has built has some gaping holes in it before it is close to a title. GK, CB, LB, LM need serious investment.

He has said he won't raid Dortmund, but I am not so sure Moyes said the same when he went to United (Fellaini and attempts at Baines) and Rodgers said the same when he left Swansea (Joe Allen).

Hummels (CB) and Reus (LM) instantly look like they fit holes that exist. Who knows where they will get the rest though.

Suspect time will be up for Mignolet, Lovren, Jose Enrique, Moreno, Origi, Yesil, Balotelli, Markovic and Luis Alberto. There should be at least £50m in sales from that, probably a net loss of something similar mind.
If Reus and/or Hummels go to Liverpool I will eat my hat or something. My shoe?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:38 am

Klopp did well at Dortmund especially the Champions League final season but I have to say I'll believe the hype when I see it. He still has a huge amount to prove.

DC