EU Referendum

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Henley
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: EU Referendum

Post by Henley » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:38 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:Ahhh, good old Jacobs, doesn’t know his arse from his elbow on the subject he’s waxing lyrical about so resorts to ridiculous straw man arguments and pithy insults ;)

As stated several times before, after Brexit the EU will become just another international entity, no different to ASEAN or the US or China, with whom a trade deal will need to be negotiated by a single state UK. However, its not just the european union a lone UK will have to strike deals with, its countries and blocs from across the globe. Now as far as anyone with basic skills of comprehension is concerned, the term international sums up this global process quite nicely.

No one else seems to have any trouble with this oh-so-difficult concept pal.
Eh? What subject is it I don't know about, Baldrick?

Why fuckwits state the obvious as if it's a gem of enlightenment? If so, I'm guilty as charged.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:10 pm

The subject of the thread perhaps? Jesus H Christ, I know you're a thick fucker Jacobs but do I have to spoon feed you everything?

Maybe try and read what people are posting before excitably mashing out your next dullard by numbers response
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:13 pm

The latest BBC EU Referendum poll of polls now seems to be swinging towards the out campaign.

Out 48%
In 43%
Don't knows 9%

slappys forskin

Post by slappys forskin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:16 pm

As you are a "TORY"in disgiuise Pete,are you going to vote Yes or No?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:33 pm

My politics are immaterial. I have already posted my postal vote and I have voted to leave.

slappys forskin

Post by slappys forskin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Pete,
if we vote to stay in,should all MPs who voted to leave should resign there parlementry seats?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Of course not. If we vote to stay in, then the MP's who wanted us to leave will have t accept it and vice versa if we vote to leave. Whichever way the vote goes, life will go on afterwards and divisions now will heal.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:24 pm

slappys forskin wrote:Pete,
if we vote to stay in,should all MPs who voted to leave should resign there parlementry seats?
Ridiculous suggestion. If every MP who voted against a winning motion resigned we'd soon have no MPs. And no democracy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

slappys forskin

Post by slappys forskin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:54 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Of course not. If we vote to stay in, then the MP's who wanted us to leave will have t accept it and vice versa if we vote to leave. Whichever way the vote goes, life will go on afterwards and divisions now will heal.
So an MP who votes No to leave has the backing of his constituency to do so.Still waiting for my MP to ask me what should he vote,who is your MP Pete

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:02 am

An MP is an individual and they should be allowed to vote whichever way they feel, as it is a free vote and everybody is entitled to a free vote, that is why we are a democracy. I'd imagine that there is no point in an MP telling his or her constituency how to vote , as there constituents will make there own minds up. Jenny Chapman.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 am

slappys forskin wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Of course not. If we vote to stay in, then the MP's who wanted us to leave will have t accept it and vice versa if we vote to leave. Whichever way the vote goes, life will go on afterwards and divisions now will heal.
So an MP who votes No to leave has the backing of his constituency to do so.Still waiting for my MP to ask me what should he vote,who is your MP Pete
This isn't a vote where MPs are representing their constituents though. In a referendum everyone gets a vote so they are representing themselves.

Also an MP is voted in to represent them - not to ask their opinion on everything they do.

Darlington Football Club employ players to represent them, doesn't mean they have to ask the club each time whether they should shoot or pass.

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:41 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:The subject of the thread perhaps? Jesus H Christ, I know you're a thick fucker Jacobs but do I have to spoon feed you everything?

Maybe try and read what people are posting before excitably mashing out your next dullard by numbers response
But I know more than you about the EU referendum, Baldrick.

(The following is not directed at Jizz who knows nothing about anything)

This 2 day extension for voting registration is fishier than Jizz's Apple Crumble.

What sort of fuckwit leaves it so late to register? They've failed the moron test - that such thicketts* are allowed a vote is depressing/worrying.

* I understand they're close relatives of Jizz Baldrick.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 pm

Surely the more people in the country voter the better? Means it genuinely is the view of the public not just activists for change?

Leave campaigners seem to be getting really concerned that there has been an extension. They clearly were hoping for a low turnout...

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm not eligible to vote because I left the country more than 15 years ago. I can understand that for local elections and even for the General Election. But I've never lived outside the European Union since UK joined it, and UK was part of the EU, with the freedom of labour laws, when I first moved so I find it hard to accept that I don't have a vote in this referendum as it does materially affect me.

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:48 pm

OHDFC wrote:I'm not eligible to vote because I left the country more than 15 years ago. I can understand that for local elections and even for the General Election. But I've never lived outside the European Union since UK joined it, and UK was part of the EU, with the freedom of labour laws, when I first moved so I find it hard to accept that I don't have a vote in this referendum as it does materially affect me.
I really don't get those complaining at this.

You have chosen to live your life outside of the UK for at least the last 15 years. I have no problem with that but I do have an issue with you having a say on matters that affect those who remaining in the UK and have to live with the consequences of your decisions.

If I'd chosen to live in an overseas country as long as you have I'd have taken up citizenship there well before now.

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 pm

lo36789 wrote:Surely the more people in the country voter the better? Means it genuinely is the view of the public not just activists for change?

Leave campaigners seem to be getting really concerned that there has been an extension. They clearly were hoping for a low turnout...
With democracy comes rules and the rules have been broken and most people believe this is an advantage for the Remain campaign.

It absolutely stinks. 2 extra days for one hour of lost time.

Whatever the age of the late registrants, it makes me angry that such tardy people have an equal vote to me. Utter fuckwits.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Twist it how you will and blame it if remain win, but surely you cannot deny that the higher the turnout the more accurate the result can be seen to be a view of the U.K. Public?

Why does it bother you so much that someone left it until the deadline to apply? You were allowed to register up to that point.

Why is a person who arrives at a station and boards the train 30seconds before it leaves less worthy to ride the train than the person who has sat twiddling their thumbs on the platform for an hour 'just in case'.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:48 am

The leave campaign are asking for a judicial review, about re-opening registration.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:44 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The leave campaign are asking for a judicial review, about re-opening registration.
Just sums up their campaign as playing the victims constantly.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

lo36789 wrote:Surely the more people in the country voter the better? Means it genuinely is the view of the public not just activists for change?

This really is what annoys me about the Remaniacs. The sneering attitude, the looking down the nose at anyone who's voting out.

I'm voting leave (I'm not going into the reasons).

But I see it in this thread, particularly from Lo. The little digs and the cheapshots about anyone voting leave.

And now all of a sudden we're all lunatics because we're questioning why so many people left it to the last minute.

Lo - earlier in the thread you called a Leaver a conspiracy theorist. Now all of a sudden you've come up with a conspiracy that Leavers are trying to keep the turnout as low as possible.

But no one answers the question why it took all these thousands of people months and months to sign up.

These people had loads of time to sign up. If you rush to get on the list with minutes to spare, you accept there's a chance you won't make it. Allowing extra time is moving the goalposts.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:53 am

Darlogramps wrote:These people had loads of time to sign up. If you rush to get on the list with minutes to spare, you accept there's a chance you won't make it. Allowing extra time is moving the goalposts.
But why does the affect leave more than stay?

I don't know how anyone could dispute that the bigger the turnout the better. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want as many people to have a say as possible?

The goalposts are still in exactly the same place as they were before. They have just extended the length of the game and to use the cliché but that is the same for both sides.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:59 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:These people had loads of time to sign up. If you rush to get on the list with minutes to spare, you accept there's a chance you won't make it. Allowing extra time is moving the goalposts.

I don't know how anyone could dispute that. The bigger the turnout the better.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want as many people to have a say as possible?
You've ignored my question. Why couldn't they sign up sooner? They knew the rules. The deadline was well known.

Now it means less time for local authorities to process everything, making problems on polling day more likely.

I'm not against more people being involved but why leave it until the last minute? No one has answered that question.

Your train analogy is rubbish too - if I'm late for a train and there's a huge queue at the station meaning I miss it, I can't call the train back just so I can get on.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:32 am

well if you completely miss it then yes that is your fault.

If you tried to get on it but the doors shut 2 minutes before it departed then how is that your fault?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 am

lo36789 wrote:well if you completely miss it then yes that is your fault.

If you tried to get on it but the doors shut 2 minutes before it departed then how is that your fault?
Yes. Because if you knowingly leave it to the last minute, any problem is likely to stop you getting on. And this is something you know in advance. There's less chance of missing out if you turn up in plenty of time.

Anyway, away from your ridiculous train analogy, I notice you've still not answered the question so I'll try for a third time - why, when they've had months to sign up for the referendum, have these thousands of people left it until the last minute?

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am

lo36789 wrote:

I don't know how anyone could dispute that the bigger the turnout the better. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want as many people to have a say as possible?

The goalposts are still in exactly the same place as they were before. They have just extended the length of the game and to use the cliché but that is the same for both sides.
Because an action has been undertaken that (seemingly) benefits the Remain/(Government) campaign's position. That's not democracy - that's a banana republic. I do not believe the Government would do the same if it was considered that more registrants would benefit the Leave campaign.

They've used taxpayers' money to push their propaganda and now they've changed the registration rules which increases their demographic share of the electorate. The whole thing stinks even if it's no different to how the left view democracy and the EU. They're all for democracy until the results aren't what they want and this is why all those who really believe democracy is the of the utmost importance are voting Leave.

Anyone who has left it so late to register does not really come across as someone who is fully engaged in the issue.

Do any Remainians have equitable principles?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:42 am

Darlogramps wrote:Why, when they've had months to sign up for the referendum, have these thousands of people left it until the last minute?
Because they were fully entitled to - why shouldn't they wait until the last minute?

Maybe it was because it was decided to schedule one of the main leader debates on the deadline day for registering? Clearly that would spike interest, that debate didn't finish until 10PM and subsequently the rush came.

As I say I don't see how this benefits either party more than the other. All it means is that more people get a vote in something which affects everybody.

Had the extension not being allowed regardless of the result I would have felt very uneasy that a percentage of the population wanted to vote and couldn't. Surely that would have 'stunk' a lot more?

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:49 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Why, when they've had months to sign up for the referendum, have these thousands of people left it until the last minute?
Because they were fully entitled to - why shouldn't they wait until the last minute?

Maybe it was because it was decided to schedule one of the main leader debates on the deadline day for registering?

Clearly that would spike interest, that debate didn't finish until 10PM and subsequently the rush came.
They didn't need an intention to vote in the EU referendum to have registered. As soon as I turned 18, I registered.

Registering to vote has been one of the first things I've done whenever I've moved house. You don't procrastinate important acts.

You're coming across as a partial apologist.

EDIT: Corrected misleading typo.
Last edited by Henley on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Henley wrote:
OHDFC wrote:I'm not eligible to vote because I left the country more than 15 years ago. I can understand that for local elections and even for the General Election. But I've never lived outside the European Union since UK joined it, and UK was part of the EU, with the freedom of labour laws, when I first moved so I find it hard to accept that I don't have a vote in this referendum as it does materially affect me.
I really don't get those complaining at this.

You have chosen to live your life outside of the UK for at least the last 15 years. I have no problem with that but I do have an issue with you having a say on matters that affect those who remaining in the UK and have to live with the consequences of your decisions.

If I'd chosen to live in an overseas country as long as you have I'd have taken up citizenship there well before now.
I'm in a similar boat (more by circumstance than choice) but taking up citizenship for me would mean giving up my British citizenship because Georgia doesn't allow foreigners to take up dual citizenship, and retaining a British passport is a nice safety net to have in case a war or something kicks off over here... again :(

As for which way I'd vote... probably not the same way I'd vote if I lived in the UK. I'm not sure Britain has what it takes to completely detach itself from the Eurocratic fungus - not without a very long wall and a lot of bullets.

I liken it to the country wanting to become "fan-owned" in a way, but with the added problem that it will continue to be run by the same people. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work and keep the right pockets well-lined.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:02 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Because getting it done earlier is less problematic. It means fewer problems further down the line. This two day extension is costing time, effort and money.

I've said this repeatedly, but you ignore it. You ignore because it's inconvenient to your woefully flimsy argument.

Your argument is utterly comical. Lo is now campaigning for everyone to have the right to turn up last minute.

If they want to wait to the last minute, that's up to them. But they can't complain if there's a problem.

Registering earlier makes it less likely there will be no issues. This is a cold hard, undeniable fact.

It takes 5 minutes and as Henley says, the system has been in place for a good while.

People have had two years to get sorted under the new electoral registration system.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:33 pm

Henley wrote:They didn't need an intention to vote in the EU referendum to have registered. As soon as I turned 18, I registered.
Did you? I didn't register to vote until the run up to the first general election that I was eligible to vote in (21).

My home address wasn't where I was living - so I didn't want to get involved in local elections for somewhere which didn't affect me (didn't seem right to be honest). I didn't want to change my address for the electoral role because I was changing address every 6-12months for about 8 years - just realised that this is the first time I've actually been registered where I live since I was 18 and I am 27 next month.

People are entitled to vote on things which impact them. I registered to in my new address in anticipation of the EU referendum.

Did I vote in the crime commissioners or council elections...no.

I am campaigning that it is better that more people vote than don't. I don't deny any of your facts. I am disputing that any side is more or less affected than the other.

I purely believe that the result of the referendum is a better representation of the public if it has a higher turnout - the extension enables a higher turnout so can only be a good thing.